• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Mar 8, 2001
The Hungarian Kingdom

Settings

Free Bretagne and Eire
Spanish Lowlands
Normal Taxes
Very Hard Diffuculty and furious
No other changes

As I crested the low hill north of Eger, I caught the first glimpse of the city I was tasked to inhabit. It was a poor excuse for a town I thought, nothing compared to the splendor or Wien, and once again I became enraged that I was forced by my king to inhabit this backwater.

You see, my name is Stephen Aramus, I was sent by my leige lord, the king of Austria to help the Hungarian peoples to withstand the agressions of the Turks and the Polish to the north so as to allow the Austruan king some time to strengthen his position. While I was not thrilled with the task, I would perform it to the best of my ability.

My first impression of my new lord Ulaszlo (more properly the 2nd), was not a pleasant one. Burly and much too weak in thought, he struck me as a poor leader. (This initial opinion would never change) Bowing before him, I offered my charge. While he did not seem much impressed, Ulaszlo accepted my offer. Offering a servant to show me my room, he asked me to return to present myself before him later so that I might detail just how I would help.

In my discussion with the king, I outline my plan.

"My lord", I say, "we need to strengthen this land. The Turks threaten from the east, the Austrians from the west and the Venetians from the south."

"This i well know." He replies, "But how pray tell will a small land like mine seek to remain independant among these enemies?"

Though I am not quite sure myself, I outline a plan that I feel just may allow success. "We must ally ourselves with Austria my lord, this will give us a strong partner for the liberation of the Balkans. At some point the Turks are sure to be busy at war, we can declare war, grab a few provinces and sue for peace."

Lost in thought for many a minute my lord finally accepts the plan.

On May 11, 1492 Our dilpomats meet with the Austrian king, detailing our willingness to help them, and our "subserviance" to them, we are allowed into the alliance they lead with Bavaria.

We have our alliane, and do not have to wait long for the Turks to send their armies away from us. Sometime in July they declare war on the Mamelukes. I pressure the king to invade them, but he is much too worried about the Polish to the north.

October 1492. Just to our luck, we hear that Poland-Lithuania has declared war on the Teutonic Order. We are now free to invade the Ottoman Empire, but I now feel that it is best to wait out the winter, then attack during better weather.

After a nervous winter, we find that the Turks are still at war. On February 1, 1493 we declare war on the Ottoman Empire. Both Austria and Bohemia join the war. An army of 15/6/0 led by Corporal Pecs and another of the same strength led by Corporal Mohacs march into the Balkans. Pecs seiges Beograd in Serbia and Mohacs seiges Sofia in Bulgaria.

Several months pass, the defenses of Serbia are falling, while those at Bulgaria have yet to even be scratched. We though, can still sense victory as not a single Turkish army has been seen. Our hopes are to be dashed though, just after Mohacs receives an additional group of reinforcements he meets the Turks in the field of battle. His army of 19k is soundly defeated by the 30k Turkish army, and after losing 5000 troops, he retreats into Kosovo.

Meanwhile, during the battle, Pecs seizes Serbia, and marches south to Bosnia recahing there just before the Turks seige Serbia. In just a few short months, on November 18, Pecs seizes Bosnia. He begins to march into Kosovo to try to help Mohacs seize that province and end the war.

Unfortunately, on December 25, we receive word the Serbia is back in the hands of the Turks. Reversing his course, Pecs heads for Serbia. We hear that an Austrian army has been defeated by the Turks in Serbia. Our hopes are falling, we doubht that we can defeat such a superior force.

On January the 5th, 1494 our troops meet the Turkish troops in the field of battle. The battle is hard fought, the Turkish killing many of our soldiers. As we our close to break, our reinforcements arrive from Croatia. The Turks are stunned by this and it gives us the strength and moral to push them out of Serbia. In all we lost 9k men and the Turks lost 7k.

On February 16, Mohacs seizes control of Kosovo. His troops march back into Bulgaria to seige there again. The war slows again, Mohacs pushed the demoralized Turkish army out of Bulgaria and begins to seige. Pecs meawhile finally breaks through the walls of Beograd, Serbia on July 14.

Seeking more land we stupidly order Pecs to march for Macedonia, back home we discover plans for Field Artillery. We feel we can take on the world, but after Mohacs looses a battle to 50k Turkish troops. We accept peace with them, gaining only Serbia and Bosnia on September 2, 1494.

We have won our first war against the Turks, the king is elated and the fires of bloodlust are lit in his eyes. He demands that we declare war on the Wallachians. I persuade him to wait a year, for us to better position our forces and to stabilize.

During that year of waiting, we position the now Brigadier General Pecs in Serbia. We recive news that a Treaty of Tordesillas has been put in effect by the pope, not that it effect us in any way.

In the month of September, hundreds are peasants desiring to be sent to our new provinces petition the king, we send a group of them to Serbia and convert it to Catholicism, a few months later we do the same to Bosnia.

On Febraury 1, 1496 we declare war alone against Wallachia. Pecs encounters the Wallachian army of 10k soldiers in Serbia, and from Feb 28, to March 4, he kills every single one. He then marches into Wallachia, seiging Bucuresti. On April 13th Pecs destroys the 7000 recruits in Wallachia.

After assualting the walls four separate times, Bucuresti falls on March 2, 1497 to Pecs. The nest day we accept Wallachia's unconditional surrender of all their lands. Thanfully it happens just before Poland-Lithuania seizes Kurland from the Teutonic Order. We are at peace and have no reason to attract the attention of our neighbors to the north.

The celebrarions of our victories go on for quite some time, Pecs is promoted again to Major General and made a very minor lord in Serbia.

As the 1400s draw to a close we have made our first steps towards becomming a respected nation in Europe.

Last edited:
Though it seems that interest in this AAR is a little below absolutely none, I shall continue.

As the 1500s began, our nation was still weak. We had defeated the Turks in war, but I knew that much as we celebrated, that war was very little what could happen to us. I feared the day that the Turkish troops would turn their attention our way.

In July of 1500, we were informed that many of the Orthodox religious members of Ruthenia had been converted to Catholicism. In December, the discovery of Traders and trading posts allowed us to increase our trade income. We watched as Venice annexed Rugasu, our vassal, in war.

On October 17, 1501 our period of peace was about to end and a war we greatly feared was to begin.

Austria had just welcomed Wurtemburg into our alliance, and within a month those leaders of Wurtemburg declared war on France. The alliances would bring us into conflict with Poland-Lithuania. Much as we feared the conflict we decided to join. I deliberated for many a day, and finally could bring the two alternatives I had before the king.

The Counsel Room

As the king stood before the window, looking out over his capitol, I knew just what troubled him. In a voice a bit weaker sounding than I would have liked I told him I had the plans for the war.

My lord's answer was not what I would have liked, it was something along the line of, our last war ever huh. Well, mabye not, my plans were these.

1) We could defend our borders only and hope that the war would end before too much damage was done. This would keep expenses at a minimumn.

2) We could fight our way into Poland-Lithuania and try to force a peace. The costs, could be extreme, but we might just be able to not lost land that way.

After much deliberation, Ulaszlo decided that we should invade. Our three generals headed to the battle in the north, Pecs, Mohacs and Cegled. We apprenhensively approached and crossed the Polish border expecting every moment for the enemy to destroy our armies.

But none came...

Later we would hear of the huge battles between more than 100k troops each taking place in Austria, but all we knew right now was that our combined troops total of 21k/5k/0 was not meeting any resistance. We then broke our army into three parts sending each into different provinces.

On June 8th 1502 Mohacs seized Galicia, and then moved onto Bessarabia. Our scouts where now reporting Polish troops, but all continued determinately to the Austrian border.

On December 28th, Pecs seized Podolia and moved into Podlasia. Just a few months later Cegled seized Krakow and moved into Posen. There on June 13th Cegled was defeated by 13000 Polish troops. Our very first battle was a loss, though Cegled only lost 3000 troops.

We never would meet another Polish army on the field of battle. On the 20th of September, Mohacs seized Bessarabia, three days later Pecs seized Podlasia from the Polish. That same day, Pecs met the king of Poland-Lithunaia and accepted their surrender. On that day we added Galicia, Krakow and Bessarabia to our nation.

As we moved our troops back into position, Cegled defended the north while Mohacs and Pecs returned to the south, we became aware of just how few soldiers we had. Total between our three armies, there were 21000/4500/0 troops, we began to build our first new recruits in case of a new war or that France or another enemy turned their attention on us.

Just in time our recruits were ready. On a blustery cold day in February 1504 the nation state of Moldavia declared war on us. Their armies led by ther King Stefan marched into our nation. At Maros Cegled was forced to defend against them.

The battle was quick and vicious, while Cegled was winning a tactical victory, his forces were breaking, he fled to Banat. Unfortunately the Moldavian armies followed up chasing our armies to Banat. Cegled found himself on the run again. His army was hurt, and he was no where near ready to take on the Moldovians.

As luck would have it, Cegled fled into the army of Pecs, absorbing Cegled into his command, he marched on Banat. Their he finds that the army of Moldavia has returned to Maros. On Aug 2nd Pecs meets Stefan in battle, forcing the Moldavians to retreat. We march into Moldavia were Stefan had just received reinforments. (Note:: On August 22nd France seized Bessarabia from us.)

The battle for Moldavia was long and hard fought. Our armies finally succeeded in crushing Stefan and on the 29th of November Stefan's body is found on the littered battlefield. Pecs settles into a siege of Moldovia. Pecs' army is reinforced and we continue to assault the city, yet it doesn't fall.

Bad news begins to pour in by the handful. Austria has sued for peace with France, giving up Alsace. France has annexed Wurtemburg. But on the 21st of December, Moldovia falls to Pecs on his fifth assault. Two days later Moldovia acepts unconditional surrender. We have added yet another province to our nation.

Note:: Jan 1506 Sweden Annexes the Teutonic Order

Meanwhile France has succeeded in taking Krakow with a very small army. While Pecs marched back south, Cegled moves into Krakow. There he defeats the French. On the ninth of August, a rebellion in Bessarabia succeeds in returning the province to us. The people of Wurtemburg have been said to have declared independance from France, On March the 15th, Cegled retakes Krakow, pushing the French from out lands.

During the month of September an enterprising citizen of Bessarabia brings us plans for transport ships, we fund his research and prototype, though we do not agree to buy any. (Advanced Rudder N1)

The year 1510 has arrived, while we are still technically at war with France, our borders for the most part are secure. The French have landed no new armies. Though reports of recent succeses by the Turks in the lands of the Mamelukes gives us cause for fear, we slowly are rebuilding our armies for when the next war comes.

Our economy is still weak, we earn about 18 ducats a month, but by carefully using our armies and keeping loses to a minimumn we have kept inflation down to 2%. No infrastructure improvements have been under taken and our diplomatic corpes have almost nothing to do.

Nice AAR! Hungary is a damn hard country. Are you going to keep on with this after EU2 comes out this weekend?

Keep going Dominus. Hungary is an interesting country to play. Having Austria as an ally will make your survival quite a bit easier. Your weak but you have a lot of potential. It's also easier than playing Ireland.:D

Joe

Nice AAR. You've done well in your wars. A screenshot would be good :) Don't worry about the lack of response. It doesn't mean people aren't reading. Check the number of views you get. Anyway, keep up the good work.

Yes I'm going to continue writing this AAR even after EU2 comes out. I'm almost to 1750 in the game. I am going to put screen shots up in the next post. Thanks for the interest, its kind of strange that it took me this long to play the most entertaining country in the game.

Last edited:
Imperialist Hungary, I love it! :D

Keep up the good work, you seem to be having your way with the feared Polish beast. Doesn't hurt to have a Ally like Austria though, I'd guess. What will the future hold? Planning on 'protecting' the Balkans from the Turkish plague? Or is more Poland bashing in sight? Or will the king go completly mad and go bankrupt 5 times in the span of 3 years? :D

I've been using a imac for internet for a while (becuase its on DSL and my comp is not), tried to connect and upload some screenshots on my Comcrap, errr... Compaq, and the modem is not responding, its dead, it won't recognize that it is on Com port 2 no matter how many times I correct it. So I will have to wait a while on putting screenshots up. Sorry. BUT!!! I will do the next post, that much can be done.

The Manifestation of A Hungarian Empire

Our country has come a long way and I am well on my way to fulfilling my goals. Mabye I have succeeded to well. Hungary has taken on the presence of a strong formadible nation. Our troops are proud and our lands stretch many hundreds of miles. All we lack now is great wealth, but I hope that will come with time. Though the chance we will get that time is very slim I must admit to myself.

The King though does not share my limits in his vision of the future of Hungary. Ulaszlo quite often remarks about our great ability to sack the capitols of Poland and Turkey. He's beginning to scare me truthfully, where on earth could he get the idea that our nation could truly humble those two giants. But he is our king and I cannot contain his wish for war forever.

For four years we are allowed to improve our nation. The area around us is at peace. We secure a Status Quo peace with France, ewnding the war that had not been fought in months. In July of 1511 we here that France has retaken Wurtemburg and our hearts ache for the people there. We also receive word that the Russians have annexed the Golden Horde, many of our towns celebrate the great victory over the muslim threat. Once again I worry that I will be forced to invade those who would easily destroy us.

as the year of 1514 draws to a close, a man by the name of Martin Luther preaches his devil inspired madness against the church. Many people in our eastern lands take his words to heart though and convert to this "religion".

The grandson of our king, the young John Zapolya presents himself as ready to confront our enemies. He has shown great courage in border scirmishes with the Turks and so I make sure to give him a military position (Zapolya, Field Chief Judge 2/2/2)

In May of 1514 Russia and her allies declare war on Poland-Lithuania. The Polish are forced to fight alone. Ulaszlo demands we invade Poland, he is determined that we can destroy them. Trying not to laugh every time he says that, I persuade him that if we attack, then the Turks are sure to invade us. For some reason, I promise that if the Turks declare war on another nation, we will invade Poland.

Though to this day I know not whether the King had anything to do with this, on September 24, 1514, the Turks declare war on the Mamelukes. I tell the king that I will honor my promise to which he makes the reply of grinning wickedly and doing a little dance of joy in the counsel room. I am truly beginning to question his sanity, but I know truthfully that he is just overjoyed to finally have a chance to be leader of a great nation.

After waiting out the cold winter, we are ready to attack Poland. As always, we declare war during February, more specifically on February 17, 1515. Austria, Bavaria, Baden and Bohemia join us against Poland, France and Milan. Three armies under Zapolya, Pecs and Cegled march into Poland. Zapolya settles into Podolia and after assualting the province twice, settles into a slow siege. None the less the province falls on the 29th of November.

Ulaszlo after hearing news of the victory, travels to the front lines to visit with Zapolya. Though no problems arise from this rash action, on his way back his emvoy is caught in a strong blizzard, there appears to be no serious problems with our lord, but a mild cold and we return quickly to the capitol. But on December 13, 1515 Ulaszlo II dies peacefully in his sleep. On January 1, 1516 his successor Lajos II is crowned king. Lajos, vowing never to be away from the battlefield quickly takes command of his own troops. (Lajos, Monarch leader, 2/1/2)

I convince Lajos to let this war play out. The Polish have not attacked us and seem highly preoccupied with Russia much as Ulaszlo had hoped. So we wait and watch.

On February 15, 1516 Cegled seizes the province of Podlasia and moves into Posen. Meanwhile in the Ukraine Zapolya's seige has been prempted by the Crimeans who seize the Province on March the 1st, that very same day they accept Donetsk and Krementjug from the Polish. So Zapolya resieges the province. Cegled seizes Posen on April the 8th.

A few days later we see that Pskov has gained peace with Poland in return for the Polish losing Welikia. Now two of Russias allies our out of the war, the chances for Poland turning there attention toward us grows daily. On the 15th of April Pecs seizes Pripet. While we prepare to move forward again our scouts report huge Polish forces marching on our positions. Pully our fources out of Polish lands we begin to request peace.

On August the 2nd the Turks annex a nation by the name of the Hedjaz. While we know very little of that nation, we know enough that it means that the Turks are winning their war. Finally on the 26th of August 1516 Poland-Lithuania accepts our deamnds for Posen and Podlasia.

In the next few months we hear of the annexation of the Astrakhan by Russia and of a great coalition war between Spain and France, but we are at peace. Well, we are officially at peace. With all the gains we have had and the weak state of our armies, we are hard pressed to put down all the revolts in these new lands.

Finally the worst news I have ever received comes before me and the Lajos. On October the 10th, the Turks annexed the Mamelukes. My fears do not take long to become real. Less than two months later, the Turks and their allies Declare war on us, Austria, Bohemia and Bavaria. Lajos hearing the news sends his troops on a forced march for the Turkish province of Rumelia. Meanwhile Zapolya moves into Kosovo. On the 12th of January Lajos meets the Turks in battle. His 25000 strong army is beaten by the Turks 30000 strong army and he retreats into Wallachia. There the turks catch him again, but he flees before battle is engaged. On the first day of June Lajos returns to Wallachia and catches the Turks in battle. In just nine days he reduces the Turkish army to a few hundred, and then move into Rumelia.

Meanwhile we receive word that venice has declared ar on the Turks. The venetians move into Kosovo to siege the province, helping Zapolya. On the 14th of July, Lajos defeats 10000 Persians in Rumelia and on the 16th of August Kosovo falls to Zapolya with the help of the Venetians. Both armies march for Macedonia. Meanwhile the Turks have begun to seige Moldavia.

On October 22nd in the heat of battle with the Persians as the battle is going our way, the Persians are being pushed back and Lajos is leading the charge. Lajos is said to have been wounded by an arrow, the errant missle cleaving through his upper leg. As his horse bolts he is thrown from the saddle and nocked unconscious, our troops break and flee from the battle. Luckily Lajos' unconscious self is pullled from the battle by one of his leiutenants.

Lajos would slowly recover, but the wound in his leg festered and he never would ride a horse again, thus he never returned to battle. On January 1st more bad news was received, a group of rebels unable to destroyed because the Turks were bloaking our way into Bessarabia joined the newly independant Ukraine, we had lost Bessarabia without even a fight. We were landlocked again.

On the 6th of May Zapolya siezes Macedonia, finally giving us something to cheer about. Zapolya marches into Albania and begins to assault the walls there. The Austrians meanwhile decide that they may actually feel like someday joining the war and on November 15, 1519 force the Turks out of Moldovia just days before the woalls would have fallen.

After three assualts in Albania, Zapolya seizes the province. He marched into Thrace to take over the command of the siege of Thrace. On April 27th 1520, Thrace falls to us. We continue to pester the Turks for Macedonia, Albania and Kosovo, but on Aug 2nd Zapolya meets in battle with 77000/12000/60 Turks in Thrace. Three days later right before we lost the battle, we accept the Turks latest offer of Kosovo and Macedonia, restablishing our path to the sea.

In October of 1520 we receive word that the conversion of the Protestant heretics in Maros is very well along and we welcome Maros back into the catholic fold. On the 20th of June, Zapolya is ambushed by rebels in Macedonia, while his forces win the battle, his sword arm was savaged by an enemy sword Zapolya, the heir to the throne, will never fight again.

Finally some good news comes, our economy is weak, our technology is well behind our neighors, but famine in Italy pushes the price up for grain in trade through Magyar. We earn an extra 758d in taxes.

1525 has come, we are a large but hugely poor land. Our technology has fallen far behind (land tech 3, naval tech 1, trade tech 2, infrastructure 2). Our population has been ravaged by war and revolt and our inflation is now 14%. I wonder just how long we can remain a stable country at this rate. Our great exterior conceals a rotten center. I fear we may not survive the next few years. Turky is stronger, so is Poland-Lithuania. We still have not gotten a true glipse at their potential and their leaders are now enraged. Woe betide those who must meet them in the field of battle.

I just hope it won't be us...

Last edited:
more, more

Excellent story. I always feared taking Hungary. Are you in the orthodox tech-group? Even if you aren't, you'll get in trouble with the combination of many but poor provinces.

I look forward to reading the rest of your story.

The Great Turkish-Hungarian War

As 1525 begins our lord Lajos is slowly declining. The Turks are building up massive forces on our border and revolts are sweeping the land. We greatly fear that the Turks will attack within the next few years.

As December of 1525 begins Lajos becomes sick with an illness he will never recover from, within days he has died. The crowning of the hier John Zapolya will be held January 2nd 1526. On January 2nd the great celebration is held, though it is rather subdued. The Turks are massing many more troops, all counted our spies have seen over 200,000 Turkish troops on our border.

In May of 1526 news is received that Venice has successfully gained Hellas from Turkey in a peace treaty, we cheer the good news and hope that this will convince the Truks to look in another direction before for invasion.

Unfortunately this is not to be so, on July the 12th 1526 a delegation arrives from the ruler of the Turks. Their demands are the return of all previously Trukish lands or thet will remove th our land from Europe. Zapolya replies with a defiant reply of "we shall destroy you and your armies and force you to bow before the church". Needless to say, on that very same day war is declared. The Turks and their allies the The Hafsid Empire begin marching into our lands. While we call for help from our allies Austria, Bohemia, Bavaria and Milan. War is joined and our armies are outnumbered 5 to 1.

The Turkish armies flood into our lands. In the first month of war alone 175000 Turkish troops have moved into he land. They immediately assualt our forts in Macedonia and on August 15th the province is in Turkish hands. Our armies, way too weak to meet the Turkish hordes head on wait, hoping to retake provinces after the Turks have passed. On October the 12th Kosovo falls to the Turkish assault. The Turks meanwhile, north of Bulgaria are moving more slowly. On December 24th Wallachia falls to the Turks.

As the new year rolls around, the Turks still have 175000 troops in our lands and more than 50000 about to enter. Our allies have sent paltry reinforcements which have done nothing more than slow the Turkish advance. On February 5th 1527 Moldavia falls to the Turks, and a month later the Turks seize Croatia. We are losing hope our armies are still to small to hurt the Turkish hordes and we are running out of places to retreat to.

On June 4th we finally are given a reason to honor a Muslim nation, the Persians and their Nubian allies declare war on the Turks. The Turkish armies are down to 50000 in our lands with 35000 just about to enter. Our armies decide to take this advantage. With the Persians hopefully distracting Turkish reinforcements, we move to retake our lands. Mohacs marches into Croatia, Cegled into Moldavia and the great but aging general Pecs sneaks his way into Thrace, killing the two small Turkish armies he sees on the way. We are now building a fourth army to try to control the revolts in the north which could destroy us a well as any Turkish army.

I order our armies to avoid ANY major engagements, let the Turkish armies die to our winters and their heathen deseases. On August 1st the main Turkish army seizes Serbia. The Turks send a delegation demanding that we accept their offers and give them Macedonia, Moldavia and Kosovo. Fearing that we will lose the very nation I pressure my lord to accept. He will not, he demands that we fight to the death. He words, if I remember correctly are this:

"We are the great bastion of Christianity in the east, if we fall, then what of our bretheren, who will hold against the Turkish hordes, how will the church survive. NO!!! Continue the fight, when the Turks have succeeded to push within the gates of this city, then ask me again."

Unfortunately our dissagrement inspires a scandal at the court, greatly reducing our diplomatic influence abroad.

On January 16th of the new year, we win our first major victory. Pecs seizes Thrace from the Turks and marches t liberatye Macedonia. From there on we ask the Turks for a status Quo Peace, but none is ever accepted. In May we discover how best to support Artillery, I would celebrate, but we have never built any artillery, so I don't see how this helps us (Artillery Support L4). Cannons are just too expensive for our poor land, a group of ten of them costing almost three months income.

Are armies continue to siege provinces. On February the 23rd Cegled seizes Moldavia and marches south to siege Wallachia's cities. Pecs meanwhile finally succeeds in liberating Macedonia from the Turks. His victory is short lived though, as the Truks immediately divert an army to attack him, fleeing through Bulgaria, he makes for the Turkish province of Dobrudja. Meanwhile on September 23rd, Mohacs succeeds in taking back Croatia. Zapolya demands that we stop offering the Turks peace, and regretfully I order our diplomats to not offer peace until we can request land from our enemies.

I watch as the Turkish gainmore ground again and retake Macedonia. On April 13th 1529 the uniaginable happens. The Persians make peace with Turkey, though the Persians won a one province consession from the Turks, this development now frees their armies to refocus on us. But one month later, on the 21st of May cegled retakes Wallachia. We feel victory at hand, until....

Pecs reports that his garrison in Thrace has almost fallen to a 100,000 strong Turkish force. On July 1st, the Garrison in Thrace surrenders and is executed to the man by the Turks. This move severly angers our people and by December 7th Macedonia has been retaken by pro-Hungarian rebels. The huge Turkish army moves into Moldavia and Macedonia sieging both. On February 15th Mohacs retakes Kosovo, a month later on the 1st of March Cegled seizes Serbia. We are still avoiding major engagements, but we feel that eventually we must hit the Turkish armies hard if we want to free our lands. That point is driven home when the Turks retake Moldavia on March 15th and the Austrians sue for peace, taking Bulgaria from the Turks and we lose one of our allies, yet a few days later, Dobrudja falls to Pecs' siege.

Both Cegled and Mohavs join forces anf march to meet the armies that have moved into Wallachia from Moldavia. On February 15th, 1531 the Turkish armies retake Macedonia two days later, the combined forces of Cegled and Mohacs are devastated by the Turks in Wallachia, there is some good news though, the assualt on the Turks in Wallachia reduced their army there to only 7000 troops. Total, the Turkish armies now have only 30000 troops in our land and no more incoming. We though only have 40000 troops, inflation is rising and we are running completely out of money.

Even King Zapolya is becoming worried, he hasn't eaten in six days, and is in an increasingly bad temper. I do not know how much longer we can last, it is like a grinding stone, and we are pressed against its wheels. In an all out last ditch effort, I order Cegled to take control of Mohacs forces and a small group of reinforcments and march for Thrace.

On the 8th of August Turkish troops retake Wallachia. A month later on September 12th another army retakes Kosovo. We are losing again and no relief is in site.

BUT!!!!

On November 22nd 1531 Venice and her allies declares war on the Turks. Once again we praise another nation for giving us time. On the 4th of December 1531 Cegled seizes Thrace!!!!

One month later we accept the Turks peace delgation giving us Dobrudja!!!!

After the Turkish delegation has left Zapolya collpases and I understand... He like me had believed that his policies had led our nation to extinction, I am sorry to add, that it just might.

All the Balkan provinces including Moldavia, Croatia and Wallachia have been reduced to having no major city over 5000 people, inflation is huge, our armies barely exist, and we have two titans as enemies in the form of Poland-Lithuania and the Turks....

we have survived to see the year 1532, but I have no illusions that we will be around much longer....

Great aar, but we need screenshot! :)

Yep, I'm putting up the screenshots now, would you believe it that after a year of working on networks I forgot to check the physicalo media to see why my modem was not working. That is I forgot to check the phone cord... **sigh** so the screenies will be up in a few.

The Illusionary Empire

My name is Jospef Zapolya, I am the fifth son of our king John Zapolya. Thankfully that leaves me far removed from aqny chance of my inheriting the throne. I have been tutored by the previous advisor Stephen Aramus in the arts of runny a nation for my king. It seems that my teacher developed a heart problem during thlong war with the Turkish Empire and has decided to resign his position to me. Though it is weird advising my father in this position, he knows that I am knowledgable and we forsee no porblems.

Our nation while stretching as far as many of the great empires and weak. So weak in fact that we can barely field a hundred thousand men. Our cities are small, but we are using this to rapidly convert our provinces to Catholicism.

In June, 1532 we strengthen our ties with Bavaria, my brother maries a Bavarian princess.

In July we finally understand just how to obtain monopolies in Centers of Trade (Late Renaissance T3, Monopolies). September brings a rush of colonists begging to let themhelp us convert the Orthodoxx provinces. We are at peace for the time being, but our relations with the surrounding nations have become strained. On the 30th of December news reaches us that Austria has added Bohemia to their realm through diplomnatic means. As 1533 begins a counsel is called.

The counsel includes our generals, the aging Mohacs and Cegled plus (the son of our military hero Field Chief Judge Ferdinand Pecs) the young Charles Pecs, plus the king and myself. Beginning the cousel I outline or current state.

"My lord,"I say (I must use the honorific title when in the presence of others), "our country is tron by revolts. Not all of the people are willing to accept our rule of them. Our treasury is almost dry, and we generate barely enough a year to substain ourselves. Our armies are technologically behind those around us and I am to believe that Poland and the Ottoman Empire wish to declare war on us." I seat myself upon finishing.

The king stands, "I have another problem to add. Stephen Aramus had been sent here specifically to protect this country until Austria could annex us," At this a low murmur of outrage fills the room, none of us had known this, not even myself, "I must defend Stephen though," the king continues", I do not believe he would continue in that track now, he has come to love this land as much as us." Our king sighs, "But this is a delema. Until now we had counted on Austria's support. We must make an effort to retain them as allies, but not become subjugated. Josef, I task you with ensuring that we have enough money to maintain our pleasant relations with Austria." The king has obviously finished his discussion.

I am stunned, we barely have enough money to survive, let alone maintain diplomatic relations. "But my lord...." I begin.

He cuts me off with. "No!!! This must be done, we need to maintain our alliances!!!"

Note: This thing about Austria is becuase of our lack of money to maintain steadily declining relations.

So, the counsel ends, I am tasked with what is surely an impossible task, to maintain this nation in the face of all these problems. How I truly wish that Stephen still advised my father.

September, 1535: we discover how to build caravels (Caravels N2)

On December of the same year Russia and her allies declare war on Poland and her allies. The next year Turkey delcares war on Nubia. It seems that we are safe from our neighbors for the time being.

The war between Russia and Poland is said to end in a Russian victory, but busy as I am, I do not follow up on that rumor. In April of 1537 Banat's heretics are said to be converted to the Catholic church.

In July 1537 after hearing of the Trukish victory over Persia my father begins pushing for a premptive strike on the Turks before they can begin returning troops to our borders. I feel that we can win a war with Turkey distracted as it is myself, so on the 1st of August we declare war on the Turkish Empire and their allies The Hafsid Empire, Austria, Bavaria and Milan join in our glorious struggle. Cegled and Pecs march their armies into the Turkish lands, Cegled seiging Bujak and Pecs seiging Thrace. Both armies defeat the small Turkish armies thrown against them. On the 26th of September 1538 Cegled with the help of 39000 Bavarians and Austrians seizes Bujak from the Turks, he then marches south for Rumelia.

Meanwhile at the walls of Constantine. As the armies of Pecs seized the capitol of the Turks reports were received of a 50000 strong Turkish army marching for Thrace, Pecs tried to take the city before they arrived, but on December 1st is sent fleeing for Macedonia. The Trukish army gives chase, Pecs though succeeds in outmanuvering them, as the Turks reach Macedonia, seeing no army to fight they begin to try to take control of the province, unknown to them Pecs has doubled back and returned to Thrace.

As January, 1539 arrives we upgrade our trade yet again, further impowering our nations merchant (Early Baroque, T4, Trade Embargo).

Meanwhile the wall of Constantine fall quickly to Pecs, on April the 3rd with the help of 20000 Austrians and Bavarians Pecs marches into the capitol. The war continues slowly, the Turks are displaced from Macedonia by 50000 Austrians, and they show no signs of sending more troops at us. On the 13th of October, Venice and Russia declare war on the Ottoman Empire, very soon after that, Rumelia falls to Cegled. On the 25th of October, 1539 the Turkish leaders accept our demand for Bujak and Rumelia.

As the armies return home a crisis is brewing in the capitol. Our king, my father, has fallen ill and is not to rise again. On November 27th John Zapolya, posthumously named The Great, dies. As has become tradition, the next king is not crowned until the beginning of the next year. On January 1st, 1540 my eldest brother Ferdinand I is named king.

Private counsel with Ferdinand I

"We are done with war," begins my brother, "For fifty years now we have been almost constantly fighting and it is time for peace. We have become an illusionary empire. While our size may be that of an empire, our land is internally weak and struggling. We have pushed the Turks out of the Balkans, now we must make these people.... Our people.... strong. I hope that you will agree with me." His look says everything, he is serious about this.

Though I privately celebrate at the news, I know that this must be made to be his decision alone. Imust not undermine his first command as king. So feigning resignation I answer, "If that is how you will it my brother".

His reply, "That !IS! how I will it ends the counsil".

I finally get what I have always wanted, time to make us a strong peoples.

In April 1540 the lord Pecs agrees to marry a young Venetian lady of high means. Later that year we watch as Crimea and Poland dismantle the Ukranian kingdom. In June 1542 we watch as a disturbing series of events unfold, the French are drawn into three separate wars, and we know without a doubt that one of our western allies will bring us into conflict with the French.

Sure enough on December 14th, 1543 Austria and her allies including us declare war on France and her allies. While we do not fear that France will so much as damge our lands, we fear that Poland or Turkey may see this as a chance to invade us. On December 23rd, 1544 France annexes Milan. Still no declaration of war from our enemies. With the king's permission I save up a large sum of money. Sure enough on June 1st, 1545 it is called for, the very same day that Poland declares war on us, our diplomats waiting in Warsaw promise them 500 ducats tribute, sure enough the Poles back down, we watch inrelief as the 150,000 troops stationed at our border move elsewhere.

After the scare by the Polish Ferdinand authorises, Pecs requested Reformation of the Navy. On the 19th of April 1546 our ally Saxony annexes Baden. The next year a heretical man by the name of Jean Calvin begins preaching a against the Catholic faith. Our world is crashing down around our ears. The people of our capitol take up the heretical cry. We have heretics in Eger, IN OUR CAPITOL!!!

Still though, our nation is bsically at peace with no invading armies making it to our borders, we are gaining in strength and prestige while Europe is forgoting about our warlike ways of the past. But on May 24th, 1548 all that changes. The Ottoman Empire, The Hafsid Empire and some nation called Oman declare war on us. Only Austria and Bavaria answer our call to arms. Teglassy the heir to Cegled's command marches on Thrace, defeating three small Turkish armies on his way.

In November 1548 we finally understand the legal requirements necessary to create the position of chief judge. That same month Europe is shaken when a group of rebels in declare independance from Spain ripping the low counties from the Spanish grasp to create a nation of heretics.

But on our side of the Christian world all is going well, Teglassy has continued to siege Thrace while defeating army after small army of Turks never letting them become organized. Finally on May 8th Teglassy's siege breaks down the defenders of Constantine and the city surrenders. His forces then march for the first time into Asia Minor, seiging towns in the province of Smyrna. Meanwhile on the 10th of July Macedonia falls to an army from the Hafsid Empire before Pecs can relieve the province. Shortly after the fall of the province Pecs reaches the Hafsid army, destroying them to the man, killing all 18,000 troops there.

On the 8th of February, 1550 Teglassy siezes the Province of Smyrna from the Turks, days later Pecs retakes Macedonia. On February 27th the yet again humbled Turks accept our demands for Smyrna.

In April a valuable mineral is discovered in the mountains of Carpathia adding 300 ducats to our treasury virtualy overnight, unfortunately, there is only a tiny amount of this mineral. In May of the same year we first discover how to equip our ships with guns, greatly increasing our potential naval power. If we ever build ships that is.

It is the year 1551, we are stronger as a nation, mabye not visibly so, but soon we will be. Our chances of remaining intact like many times better. I hope that our luck will continue.

SCREENSHOTS

Hungary 1550 :: Religious

Hungary 1550 :: Normal View

Hungary 1550 :: Europe Poltical View

The Illusionary Empire :: Part 2

As the year 1551 begins Poland once again decides to invade our lands. Mobilizing their armies and allies (Prussia and Papal States), they declare war on us on March 7. Both Austria and Bavaria join the war with us.

Before the troops even begin to move, the Hanseatic League declares war on us with their allies england, Portugal and Pommerania. We cannot even figure out why they would do this, but still the fact remains that they have. In calling for our allies to help Austria sends an unusual demand.

The Austrians will only keep us in their alliance and thus help us if we agree to immediate vassalization to the Austrians. Our answer is an complete no. The Austrians then pressure the Bavarians to reject us too. Much as this tact disturbs the Bavarians, Austria is too powerful for them to deny.

Thus we start a second war, with a new enemy at our to our west.

In the first days of the war, over 150,000 Polish troops pour into our lands. Three times we try to offer them tribute and three times they decline. Our defending forces in the north are swept away, 45,000 of our troops die in the first three months alone.

The Polish armies settle in to siege our entire northern border. On September 4th, 1551 Posen falls to the Polish armies. While their other sieges have not taken any cities, in the next few months we lose an additional 23,000 troops trying to displace the Polish armies.

On February 8th, 1552 our armies broken, our hopes dashed, three more cities about to fall and not enough time to even begin replacing our loses we offer Posen to the Polish in the faint hope that this will appease them.

Waiting for the return of the envoy is like wating for the specter of death, finally word arrives....

The Polish have accepted and are pulling out of our lands, this disaster his been mitagated to a much smaller scale.

On the 29th of March, 1552 just as we have begun rebuilding, Austria, The Knights and Modena declare war on us. We receive a letter from the Bavarians stating that while they could not anger Austria prevously, they WILL NOT sink this low.

Four days later we pay Austria 500 ducats tribute.

On the 9th of June we welcome Venice's request to join them in an alliance. While it is only the two of us, at least we still have a friendly border.

Meanwhile we are still at war with England through the Hanseatic League. The English have shown a love for sending small armies of less than 10,000 troops against our 45000 infantry and 5000 calvary force at Smyrna in Asia Minor. Unbelievable on the 5th of April 1553 a small English army of 6000 infantry under the control of an unknown general defeats our vastly superior force completely destroying them.

In January of 1554 Venice informs us that they have taken the province of Morea from Turkey in a peace treaty. finally we have at least a small item to cheer about. Meanwhile in November of that same year the League accepts our tribute of 250 ducats.

All is well for another year. During that time the Turks conclude a victorious war with Persia. Sensing our weakness on February 14th, 1556 the Ottoman empire and their multitude of allies declares war on us and Venice.

Once again I see dissaster looming before us and once again I try to offer tribute, but the Turks continue to refuse us. 127,000 turkish troops march into our lands, our garrison in Macedonia must fight alone being our last full strength army. In short order it is overwhelmed, and sent fleeing into Kosovo with only 3000 infantry of its original 35k/5k/0 remaining.

In July our investments pay off, significanly improving our infrastructure (Early Barogue, I4, Fine Arts Academies).

On the 18th of October the Turkish armies sieze the province of Smyrna. We have managed to sneak an army into Thrace and are attempting to take the city.

But, early the next year, on March 22nd 1557 Poland, Prussia and the Papal States declare war on us and venice. Fortunately for us it seems that the Polish have neglected to repair their armies before invading us. Unfortunately we must decide who we will deal with to focus on the other. The Turkish troops continue to pour into our provinces and five different ones are now under siege.

On the 21st of October a small Polish force siezes Podlasia.

One month later fearful that if we wait to much longer we accept the Turks demand for Smyrna and all the money in our treasury, 175 ducats.

Meanwhile the reassigned Pecs, Teglassy and young Vesrprem have marched north to siege Polish towns. Their extrmely small armies are under VERY specific orders to avoid ALL battles. Pecs quickly siezes Podolia from the Polish, then marches in to sieze the Ukrainian cities.

On the 26th of May, one short month later, miracously another province falls, this time to Vesrprem who siezes Pripet. Attrition is weakening the Polish armies, unfortunately the armies of Prussia seem virtually immune. On June 6th 1558 Prussia takes control of Krakow. One week later Teglassy siezes the province of Posen ,arching then in to siege Mazovia.

The Prussian armies march into Posen shortly after Teglassy leaves and begin to siege the city. On the 24th of October Posen is liberated by Prussia.

Meanwhile though, Sweden declares war on Poland and Prussia, landing troops in the Prussian provinces, we are free now of our most dangerous enemies.

On the 27th of January, 1559 Pecs sizes the Ukraine. One month later Podlasia is retaken from the Polish by Vesrprem. We are pushing the Polish back. Their armies have been eaten away by attrition, while we have made sure to send in armies just big enough to take provinces, but small enough to survive off the land.

On June 16th, 1559 Teglassy marches into Warsaw. Three days later Poland accepts our offer. We are granted Pripet, Podolia and 74 ducats.

For many year after this war, we hope peace will reign. In January 1560 our... errrmm... vigorous precedures finally banish the heretics from the capitol. June of that year brings a war between the Ottoman empire and Austria.

By September we have developed a working prototype of the newest weapon, the Arquebus (Early Arquebus, L5).

As England becomes more powerful, trade has moved west and in 1561 London is considered a major center of trade.

In October 1562, Count Vasyr who was in charge of our kingdom's merchants is discovered to have been, shall we say, skimming from the treasury. This revelation causes a short period of trouble for our growing economy.

During the problems, no one seems to notice that my brother Ferdinand has been rapidly declining in health. On November 22nd he dies sick in bed.

Unfortunatly for the corronation, Count Vasyr's execution had been set on December 21st and it is decided to postpone the coronation to allow a suitable period of time to pass. On January 2nd, 1563 Maksimillian become king of Hungary.

My new lords first decree is an action designed to improve our relations with Austria. He accepts the royal marriage of an Austrian princess into our family. Unfortunatly it seems that the one chosen for this "honor" has been me. I shudder now simply thinking of returning home. Let me just say, those Austrians do not raise their daughters without razors for tongues, but enough of this subject, on to happier things.

The Catholic church, desperate to do something to stall the spread of these heretical new churchs convenes the Council of Trent. It seems that instead of appeasing the people the church decides that we should destroy them. Both me and my lord decide that this is a very unstable road to follow at the present and decline to join the new order for the time being.

January 1565 brings us a new talented general, the young noble Zriny becomes our newest war leader. (Zriny, Lt. General, 4/3/4/1)

May of that year brings us into a royal marriage with Venice, further improving our ties with these excellent friends.

Famine strikes much of Eastern Europe 1566. The fields do not yield enough harvest. Thus, it is fortunate that Dobrudja has a stockpile of salted fish, the taxes from these sales amounts to 435 ducats.

In December of that year we are informed that Poland has declared war on Russia.

In August of 1567 France joins our alliance. Just three months later the tiny duchy of Cologne declares war on France.

The French waste no time, and within two months Cologne is completely absorbed into the French empire.

Welcoming our new allies, the young Lord Pecs' sister is offered as a royal bride to France. Our offer is accepted. Unfortunately at about the same time the French learn that we have not joined the ranks of the new Catholic Nations. By November 1569 enough pressure has been applied to use that we officialy convert to Counter Reform. This reform leads to small groups of unrest in the land, and our king demands a reformation of the army designed to handle this, so it is done.

On February 24th, 1570 Spain, Poland, Papal States and Savoy declare war on France. Both us and Venice agree to help the French. One month later Portugal, the damned League, England, Brandenburg and Pommerania declare war on France. Once again us and Venice agree to help.

The Polish meanwhile are sweeping down into our lands. On the 14th of Spetember they sieze Podlasia. The next year in March, they take Podolia. Zriny meanwhile marches on Warsaw, killing 27000 troops and 40 cannons on the way their. After two completely failed assualts, he settles into a siege of Warsaw. Meanwhile Vesrprem has begun to siege the cities of Posen. On the 14th of June, Warsaw falls to Zriny, who then marches south to liberate our lands.

In two straight assualts he returns Podlasia and Podolia to us. Meanwhile Poland siezes Krakow. Enraged, Zriny meets the 40000 strong Polish army in Podlasia arraying his 25000 strong army before them. For one month he fights the Polish, killing 24000 while losing only 2000 himself. On the 20th of January, 1572 Posen falls to Vesrprem. Unfortunately our hopes to push the war deeper into Polish territory are dashed. On January 22nd, 17000 new Polish troops reinforce the army already in combat with Zriny. The new troops push the battle back Poland's way. On January 24th we accept Poland's offer of Posen and end the war.

Six months later, a letter comes from Spain detailing that because of our lack of respect for the Spanish throne, all centers of trade in Spanish lands are now closed to our merchants. Spanish armies seem to have landed with this letter.

On November 28th Spanish and Papal State armies sieze Podlasia. By the 10th of January, 1573 Zriny has met and defeated the Spanish led army. After one quick assualt on the provincial capitol, Podlasia is back in our hands. Quickly chasing down the Spanish, Zriny destroys them to the man.

Early in 1574 40000 more Spanish troops arrive in our lands. During a battle from the 15th of September to the 2nd of October in Krakow, Zriny savagely defeats the Spanish army.

Due to advancing age, and his lack of an heir, Maksimillian steps down from the throne, leaving it to Rudolf I, who is crowned on January 1st, 1575.

Though we are still technically at war, the Spanish will not bother us again. We have stood up to three great wars, and shown our mettle.

During the end of 1574 we established our first colony in Gambia, West Africa.

A new age is dawning.

SCREENSHOTS

Hungary 1575

Last edited:
I've been really busy. Sorry for the wait. I'll be putting the next entry up tomorrow after church.