• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Update Please! I like the premise :)

Hint: You might need to do a Freedom cheat to change the Interventionism slider plenty 'nuff..... don't want to be crippled by insane isolationism Dissent.

Hi again everybody, I had a camping trip the past weekend and really didn't want to be anywhere near a computer for a while.

Well now I have gone through probably the most exhausting game I've ever played. To be quite frank I get very emotionally involved. I believe my whole familly heard my victory yell after the Battle of Lyon (it's coming! don't worry). Anyhow I've played up to August 1941 and now I plan to do updates

Here's the lowdown on how I hope to do this AAR. I'm going to write 2 history book styled updates covering the overall events in July and August. Then I'm going to write a number of short story updates covering a more personal side to the conflict. You'll get to see the war not only from the perspective of Henri-Phillipe Petain but also...

-Guy Lapointe - Pilot abord the Bearn
-Major General Charles Francois - Hero of the Battle of Lyon
-Etienne Leblanc - Fighter Pilot
-Jake Logan - Inexperienced Canadian Tanker

and probably more to come aswell...

Also I'm willing to incorporate people who comment, into the story. Sir Humphrey already has a character if he wants it. All he has to do is provide me with a last name. If you too wish to join the great fight against allied Tyranny simply say so and I'll try to work you in.

However I'm afraid that any updates before Thursday (My time on the West Coast of N.America) are unlikely as I am challenging the History 12 course at my school and need to study desparately for the exam. However my work ethic is not the greatest so you may keep your hopes up.

Sometimes its important to get away from the computer - I hope the trek in the woods was invigorating! Good luck with your history 12 exam! - with your writing skills it ought to be a breeeze!

So no pressure - but after Thursday an update is required! (just kidding!)

I'd love to see a character in your AAR named Evan (Roberts?) Though Roberts doesn't sound French enough. I think there ought to be an Evan in every AAR - an interesting name IUAM

3rd Update

Allright here's my brief attempt at a History Book style post...enjoy.

Excerpts from The French Continuation War by Dr. Eduard Neufeld

...The first of July saw the most surprising offensive in the history of the second World War. Henri-Phillipe Pétain in defiance of previously signed accords and previous behaviour launched the worlds most surprising offensive to date. No one not even the French military command itself saw it coming. Fortunately for Pétain, neither did the Germans...

... Pétain’s daring thrust towards the Channel was from the outset doomed from the start. With only 2 mobile divisions at his command Petain was about to create a practically indefensible salient. If he was successful he would isolate nearly a dozen German divisions in Western France...

...All of a sudden France’s hopes were dashed 6 divisions in Le Havre seemed too big of an obstacle for the French troops, outnumbered now 3 to one...

...It was then that General Charles Francois took matters into his own hands. Breaking away from Pétain’s stalled offensive he drove into Orleans planning to hook around into Caen...

...The hubris of General Glokke would soon be his downfall. Having split his forces he left the port of Le Havre open. Soon the men of the 2nd Motorised division had moved in completing Pétain’s planned offensive while Francois dashed back to the Paris line...

...Many attribute the massive allied success in this phase of the war to General Anders of the XIII Corps, whose actions against German forces advancing towards Paris preserved the Vichy Lines...

...“Operation Panic” as it was called allowed for massive reinforcement of the northern Front. Soon Allied forces were pushing both east and west grabbing as much land as possible...

“By landing at Brest not only do we aid our French comrades but we also eliminate the threat posed by the German U-boats.”-Winston Churchill

“The Battle of the English Channel was the greatest naval blunder of the Second World War.”-Grand Admiral Raeder

“A long time ago the British realized that they could not govern the world single handedly. In realizing this they created the Commonwealth. By giving the people of French Africa self governance I intend to mimic this great feat to the betterment of the world.”- Henri-Phillipe Pétain

...A lack of desperately needed German aid coupled with the landing of the Australian Expeditionary force in Tunisia led to the ultimate downfall of the Italian African Empire.

...The Italian offensive under General Audet went nearly un-noticed by the Axis. Neither side had the necessary troops to pursue a determined campaign. General Audet seemed content to simply dig in along the previous French border...

...The Western Front of the Vichy campaign was long ignored though it suffered the most heavy casualties. Throughout the July offensives poorly equipped French troops, fighting with the same weapons their fathers had used in the Great war, held off superior German forces. It was only the victory at Le Havre and the Brest landings which abated the German offensives....

“Never before has such honor been restored to the French people. No longer will we surrender, we have proven to the world that we have the will to fight for the cause of Freedom.” –Jean Francois Darlan after the 1st Battle of the Tyrrhenian Sea

...With the “Vichy Problem” growing out of hand, Hitler realized something must be done. With Barbarossa stalled Hitler forced Army group south to accept defensive positions while Runstedt along with Army Group South’s mobile elements were spirited west to halt the Vichy Insurrection...

...It was decided that a decapitating move would end the insurrection quickly and efficiently. By depriving not only Vichy forces but Allied forces as well of vital supplies the Allied presence in France could be successfully eliminated. Thus began the infamous Burgundy offensive...

“There was no stopping them, the sheer determination of their Panzers plowed straight through our lines. Our only option was to retreat”-General Verdillac after the Battle of Dijon.

vichyjuly4ms.png
Situation as of July 22nd 1941. The Panzers are coming! The Panzers are coming! Oh what shall we do?

Last edited:
Retreat to your pre-planned lines of defense and hope the Brits come marching to the rescue.

Make sure you keep the troops in the west bottled up and give ground in the east if neccessary to do so. :cool:
&
I Almost died from shock when i saw the British were actually deploying troops on the continent! :rolleyes:

A question re. the characters; do they have to be French? I'd kind of like to see myself in there somewhere, but I'm not French.

Anyway, interesting concept, taking Vichy France and turning on your puppet master. Leave it to the Germans to teach the French how not to surrender. :rofl:

Now it looks like it might bite them in the ass...

elbasto said:
Good luck with those panzers.

Did you take military control of the Brits or they acted by themselves?
Actually I have taken military control of all the allies. I'm trying to be historically accurate.

King Of Nines said:
A question re. the characters; do they have to be French? I'd kind of like to see myself in there somewhere, but I'm not French.

Anyway, interesting concept, taking Vichy France and turning on your puppet master. Leave it to the Germans to teach the French how not to surrender. :rofl:

Now it looks like it might bite them in the ass...

Characters do not have to be French they could be whatever nationality you like.

As for the rest of you..."O ye of little faith..."

The Monkee said:
Actually I have taken military control of all the allies. I'm trying to be historically accurate.

Characters do not have to be French they could be whatever nationality you like.

As for the rest of you..."O ye of little faith..."

Well, I'm a Yank, but I suppose for story purposes I could be a Scotsman fighting in the BEF, since I am of Scottish ancestry on my mother's side (and German on my father's). Come to think of it, a German character might be interesting, too. The French Foreign Legion had some Germans in it, if I remember my history correctly. Malcolm Forbes if Scottish. Michael Beck if German (neither of which is my real name). Infantry, since you already have a tanker and two piltots. Paratrooper or Marine, if you can swing it. I've never served in the military myself, but I've always been fascinated with paratroops. My father was a Marine in Vietnam. One of his uncles was a Marine in WW2. So I guess you could say there's a tradition of Marines in the family.

Anyway, enough inane babblings. Good luck against those Panzers.