• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(26759)

Corporal
Mar 13, 2004
Island of Yeu

Henri-Philippe Pétain coughed loudly as he curled up on his uncomfortable bunk deep within the bowels of his accursed prison. Here in this cold dank cell was he sentenced to live out the rest of his days, if such a meager existence could even been called a life. His entire body ached, a sign of his advanced age. Once again he resumed the simple struggle that was breathing. It was a pure unadulterated battle to draw his next breath. To say that he regretted some of the things he had done would be a gross understatement. Yet confined not only by steel bars but by his own mortality he came to the realization that he had no more reason to live. With that realization Pétain let his eyelids droop shut and faded off into the darkness.

***​

This is an odd dream Pétain thought as he stared into the stainless steel surface before him. A few quick observations revealed the strange device to resemble an elevator of some sort. Glancing at the buttons he observed that he was clearly headed down, seeing that this was a dream and he really felt his dream self had nothing better to do he leaned back and proceeded to wait out the rest of his elevator journey. As he peered into the mirror like surface of the walls before him Pétain saw that he was his usual dream self usually 20 years younger than he was at the time. He was immaculately dressed and groomed unlike the state he was in back at the prison.
After nearly an eternity Pétain finally reached his destination, the stainless steel doors opened and he instinctively strolled out. Into a living nightmare the entire room was pitch black illuminated only by the fleeting light of the elevator. The entire room was dank and wet and smelled of mold. From what he could see the walls were covered with a thick slimy substance as was the floor. Reaching into his pocket he found a packet of matches. Upon lighting one he jumped at the sight of a strange man. Soaked to the bone the man was hardly a prime specimen. His skin was as pale as most paper and his eyes a clear and piercing blue. His hair was about shoulder length wet and matted to his forehead. He scurried along the slimy floor and came right up next to Pétain only to put out his match. In the darkness Pétain began to speak
“Who are you? Where am I?”
A voice echoed from the darkness
“My name is not important, but I believe you know where you are...”
Pétain slumped to his knees in cold revelation and pure fear.
“No, it cannot be...” He whispered
“A good job is it not? I thought I picked your personal hell out rather well...”
“Damn you...” Pétain whispered to the darkness
“C’mon Pétain you can do better than that, yell it! You’re in hell, and there’s nothing you can do about it!”
Slowly Pétain began to sob
“You know what Pétain? I always thought you were a pussy. But then again you Frenchmen were always good at surrendering. That’s right Pétain! I’m insulting your whole race!”
Pétain simply sat there as the moisture perforated his uniform and the voice continued to berate him.
Suddenly, a pause, promptly followed by a gale of laughter as the voice continued to torment him. “You know Pétain you’re pathetic. How dare you call yourself a soldier! You’re a frenchman! You should know those two words contradict themselves! You know what you’ll be remembered for Pétain? You will go down in the history books as the man who ruled Vichy France. The old soldier who gave the dreaded Germans the keys to his country and let whatever honor it had left slide into the dust!”
Shocked Pétain tried to say something yet no words would come...
Finally he managed to stammer “I saved my country from the warfare that threatened to consume it... I should be remembered as a savior!” The voice came back more cynical than ever “And where exactly did that get you? Into prison that’s where! You know originally they were going to hang you. They decided to let you rot instead. A fine choice if you ask me...”
Stunned Pétain muttered “If only I would have known...” A hearty laugh came out from the darkness “Known what? And even if you did know what you know now what difference would it make?”
“I would...”
“Do what? Would you fight? Would you plunge your nation into another war just to erase the Nazi scum from the world? Or perhaps ease your guilty concience?”
Breathlessly, he whispered “Yes...”
Almost immediately a gigantic hand gripped his throat and hauled him upright. It felt almost reptilian and was certainly not human judging from the extremely sharp talons. Forcing himself to open his eyes Pétain stared into a mask of flame and shadow. Somehow he found the strength to speak “Do your worst.”
A belch of heat emerged from the visage as it spoke
“So, you want a second chance? This could be interesting...”
Pétain scowled and was about to reply when he felt himself thrown from the wall and forcibly dragged along the floor. A thin stripe of white light emerged along the wall as the elevator doors swung open. The creature detaining him then hurled his body into the stainless steel box. As Pétain struggled to rise he found himself joined by the same strange looking man he had seen upon entering the room. The strange pale figure then plunged a key into the elevator and it slowly began to rise.
“Where are we going?” Pétain asked.
“I lack the power to give you this second chance, but I know one who does.
****​
After spending God knows how much time in that horrid dungeon Pétain still found the elevator intolerably bright. Yet when it reached it’s destination the intense light that emanated from the room was unbearable. Even when he shut his eyes he could not escape the blinding aura. A cold slimy had gripped his wrist and dragged him forward out of the direct path of the light. “Don’t look directly at him! And don’t worry I’ll do the talking.”
Then a voice louder than he had ever heard before boomed through the incredibly well lit atrium. “I believe Henri is capable of speaking for himself. Yet your presence is interesting. What is it you wish O defeated one?”
For the first time Pétain saw the dark wet figure shift uncomfortably. “Remember Job? Yeah, well here’s an offer, you see this Pétain character here says that if he could do it all over again he’d fight the Nazi’s. Personally, I don’t think he has the guts, care to prove me wrong?”
Then a figure stepped out from the light. He was a middle-eastern man dressed in a white robe. His facial features and hair were non-descript, had he been dressed normally and had the situation been somewhat normal Pétain wouldn’t peg him as someone to stand out. The figure laughed a warm hearty laugh “I always enjoy watching you lose you know...” The figure then turned his attention to Pétain. Almost immediately he could feel the cold, wet feeling that had accompanied him thus far vanish. “Henri” the figure said “consider yourself blessed. You have been given a second chance to right the wrongs of the past.”
“But Lord why am I not here with you?” Pétain stammered
The figure simply smiled “You know why, and now you have no excuse...”
Pétain wanted to say so much more but in the blink of an eye he found himself not in the well lit atrium but sitting at his desk. Glancing around he recognized the room as his office in Vichy. He quickly stole a glance at the calendar June 21st 1941. He had plenty of work to do but more pressing matters occupied his mind. Walking over to his library he located a copy of the bible given to him a few years ago...

--------------------------------------------

Allright there you have it folks my 2nd attempt at an AAR. I tried one with EU2 a year or so ago but that really wasn't my favorite era of history. Fortunately, WW2 is so I plan to continue this AAR

I hope no one is offended by the opening scene. If anyone is I apologize

Post constructive criticism if you feel like it, frankly I'm quite surprized no one has ever done a Vichy France AAR before. But I guess there's a first time for every thing...

Okay, I was mesmerized by that first post. Wow.

Definately an interesting start to it, and Vichy is definately a rather interesting choice for a nation to try. From that first scene it sounds like Petain is going to try and side with the Allies though, and that might be a little dangerous in the current situation.

Good luck on the game, I think you might need it.

Very interesting indeed.

Love your writing style too.

Also, I was definitely not offended by your post, it makes for a refreshing change to have a dark and twisted start to an AAR.

Good luck! :)

A very promising first post, I'll be following this one. :) I liked the supernatural element (it can't get much more supernatural, can it? :D). Hope we'll see more of it now and then. Even if it's just a glimpse.

Your game situation is not enviable. It'll be very interesting to see how you'll go about opposing the Germans.

I don't usually follow HOI2 AARs, but I couldn't resist the title. Looks promising! Good luck!

They're right, though ... I'm not sure how you plan to do this. Germany can steamroll you pretty easily. I'd definitely build up and hope they get VERY distracted!

Hey everybody! Thanks for all the replies!

An update will be coming up shortly as I have finished most of my exams

Atruejedi: Seeing what Petain will do in this AAR, and the fact that he realized that he just got sent to hell, I think I was perfectly fair to him.

Chengar Qordath: Seeing that the title is called "Insurrection" one would think that I would be rebelling against someone...who better than the evil Nazi's?

Anyhow I've already played up to the end of July '41 and I've taken control of the Allies in hopes of attaining some realism...But I shan't spoil it any more for you, please be patient as I write my next installment!

I am awaiting patiently. hehe.

1st Update

Bonus points for therev! Sorry I really don't know what you can use them for but now you have the satisfaction of recieving not regular points but bonus points.

Anyhow the much anticipated update! (Seriously guys when I mean shortly I mean shortly!)

June 21st 1941
Offices of Henri-Phillipe Pétain

Pétain nervously tapped his fingers against the smooth polished hardwood which composed his desk. This upcoming meeting would surely decide not only the fate of his nation but the fate of the world. If his cabinet could be swayed to his point of view Pétain could use his executive power to re-open the war with Germany. However it would be another couple hours before he could meet with the entirety of his cabinet.
Slowly he rose from his desk and began to pace about the room. As he approached the window he slowly slid his hands into the pockets of his dress uniform. To his surprise he found a small bundle of paper in his left pocket. Extracting the crumpled piece of parchment he slowly began to un-crumple it.

Figured you could use a little help...

J.C

Below that lay a list of hundreds of things including large amounts of fuel, ammunition, food, medical supplies...Everything he needed to launch an offensive. But more so there were directions to over 500,000,000 dollars worth of gold in a basement within a town in Rural Corsica. Pétain promptly moved towards the phone and called up a good friend of his on Corsica. In no time he would know whether he had truly been given divine gifts. However that fact remained inconsequential for with this evidence he might be able to sway the more reluctant members of his cabinet.
Pétain sat back down at his desk and continued to pour over his battle plan. Of course this mass movement of troops would alert the Germans so speed and surprise were necessary. If everything went according to plan, Pétain’s July offensive would corner the German forces in Dax. It would also cut off German forces in Western France by establishing a corridor from Vichy to Le-Havre. This action would also free up a channel port which would allow for reinforcement from his future allies. Defensive lines would be set up along the true Franco- Italian Border and around Dijon.
Suddenly, Jean-Francois Darlan entered the room. Pétain calmly closed his notebook and folded his hands on top of his desk.
“Henri, what’s going on?”
“Jean, we have a chance sitting before us...”
“What sort of chance?”
“...A chance to save the world as we know it, and become heroes as a result.”
“What are you talking about?”
“Jean, what would you say about re-igniting our involvement in this wretched war?”
Darlan glanced around nervously
“Do not worry” Pétain calmly added “I have sent Guy out for groceries, he will not be back until nightfall. Anyone with half a brain could see that he was a German plant”
Darlan’s face flooded with relief
“So Jean what do you say?”
He smirked as he took a seat in the semi-circle around Pétain’s desk “This coming from you, the man who saved France from this ‘wretched war’? I really don’t know. What I do know is that our navy could surely best the Italians and dominate the Mediterranean. But what of our Army could it hold off the Germans long enough for the allies to arrive assuming they do?”
This time it was Pétain’s turn to smile “What if I told you that tomorrow the Germans will launch the greatest land invasion of all time into the Soviet Union? I think that their attention will be elsewhere for a while. At least long enough for our allies to arrive.”
Leaning over to Darlan Pétain asked now the question lies in can we move our colonial forces to the mainland? Will the English let our fleet through the straits?”
Darlan leaned back, “Perhaps, I could leak some information to an English spy, leading him to give the information to his superiors.”
“So do I have your support or not?”
“You can count on it.”
Then at the most opportune moment the remainder of the cabinet walked in through the doors. Leaning back in his chair Pétain began to mentally prepare himself. This was going to be a long meeting.

***​

Pétain looked at his beleaguered face in the mirror. It seemed like that cabinet meeting had lasted forever. Judging from his face Pétain looked at least 10 years older. However the meeting had been an unmitigated success. First to fall into his camp were the ministers responsible for the armed forces. Bridoux was the hardest to win over but once that was done he became an adamant supporter. Next to fall to Pétain’s implacable scheme were the ministers of armaments and defense. It had taken a further hour to sway the remaining members but once it was done it was done. Now the entire nation was gearing for war. Men were being trained, weapons manufactured and troops were being marshaled. He fervently hoped that the colonial forces would be able to cross through the Straits of Gibraltar. Relations between Vichy and Britain had always been strained but there existed presently a state of terse neutrality between the two forces, perhaps that could be used to their advantage. They had been allies not too long before.
The phone rang, interrupting his reverie. Walking over to the phone on his desk Pétain picked up the receiver. On the other line was Etienne a good friend of his on Corsica. “Henri!” he whispered “It’s all true! Everything is here! Including the gold!” Pétain didn’t know whether to laugh or cry. In reality he did a little of both. “Excellent Etienne! You couldn’t have given me better news. Please keep this a secret. At least until the war breaks out. We don’t need the Hun’s knowing about our treasure cove.” Grinning like a madman, Pétain continued refining his planned offensive operation...

***​

June 28th 1941
The Straits of Gibraltar

Admiral Decoux glared nervously out of the Bearn’s windows at the dreaded straits of Gibraltar. Behind him lay the entire French fleet including troop transports carrying just under 4 divisions of men and equipment. How Pétain was planning to police the African colonies, he did not know but it was not his duty to question why, his was to do and die. And die he would, passing through a potentially hostile strait. The English could easily slaughter them much like they had with their vaunted Operation Catapult. Now they were being catapulted into the enemy, they had no need to come to them.
Yet as the fleet continued its approach to the straits still not one gun fired on them, not one searchlight flashed over their ship. Yet most sailors surely believed that the garrison already had them on radar. Finally, as the Bearn passed the much vaunted “Rock of Gibraltar” one officer came up from behind him. “Admiral! We have a message from the Rock!” Decoux rushed over to the officers post and replied personally to the queries. “This is the Bearn over.”
“Well Good luck and Godspeed, God knows you’re gonna need it.”
With that the entirety of the French fleet continued its journey through the straits unhindered by the British.
bearn-sb.jpg
The Bearn continues to make its way towards Toulon with the remainder of the Vichy French African Squadron

***​

July 1st 1941
Metropolitan Army Headquarters

As Pétain stared into the midnight sky he nearly dreaded the actions before him. Yet everything was in place and if he didn’t spring the trap now any hope of victory would be eliminated. Turning to one of his aides he promptly said “Draft a telegram, please inform Monsieur Hitler that as of midnight tonight our two nations are officially at war.”
“But Monsieur Pétain! Midnight just passed!”
Pétain grinned “I know.”

vichyfrance9bu.png
Vichy plan of attack

Top quality stuff. Excellent.

To echo Sir Humphry, excellent stuff! I wonder where Bearn and her squadron are going?

I'm placing guesses as Le Havre ;)

Nice plan of attack, and I guess with Germany busy with the Soviets it is France's best chance to strike back. You might just be able to get a strong position before Germany can shift enough forces from the East front to contain you, and if Germany shifts the focus to you then you can fall back to your defence line and wait for the Soviets to start tearing into them.

J.C. is a great guy and you need all the help you can get. :) Good luck against the Wehrmacht and excellent writing!