• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, well. The Imperial Guard does do its work well, doesn't it? :p

Morpheus506: So well even they don't know it

-------------------------------------------

Remember the Maine!: September 1 - September 19

maine.jpg

For years, Cuba, the last vestiges of Spain's glorious colonial empire, had been a hotbed of rebel insurgencies and revolts, all aimed at the goal of independence from Spanish rule. Every attempt had either faded away or been crushed brutally. Spain had no intention of giving up her last prize in the west.

For almost as long as the Cubans strived to free themselves, America had been watching the situation with interest. Overtures had been made to the Spanish government to buy the island, and U.S. newspapers were continually inflating the plight of the Cubans, creating a steady increase in tension between the two countries over the Cuban question.

In mid-August, President Stucon ordered the U.S.S. Maine to Havana as a means of safeguarding American interests, amid a flurry of anti-Spanish rhetoric from Theodore Roosevelt, Stucon's up-and-coming right hand man. Just a few hours after sunset on September 1st, the battleship suddenly exploded and sank to the bottom, taking its entire crew with it.

The catastrophe was like a cannon shot through already strained U.S.-Spanish relations. Half the country was in an uproar, and Congress quickly ordered a commission to determine the cause of the Maine's demise. After two weeks of intensive investigation, it was determined that a Spanish mine had been the cause of the destruction. The country went wild and Stucon and Congress quickly came to the conclusion that war must be declared on Spain. On September 19th, 1895, the Spanish-American War began.

In Madrid, the news sent shockwaves through the Spanish government. Already a mere shadow of its former self, Spain would be no match for the superior American military. It's navy was a collection of old relics and its army was outnumbered by a significant margin. Without hope of holding back the Americans, Spain did the only thing it could do: call upon her allies. Both Portugal and France were notified that Spain was invoking their defensive alliances. Though these alliances were intended to protect the three from other European nations, France and Portugal were technically honor-bound to go to war with the United States. While Portugal's military was insignificant, France would muster a substantial army and a sizable navy that, though technologically inferior to the Americans, outnumbered its western foe three to one.

Now at war with three European nations, the United States was now in a fight that would determine the fate of the Caribbean, and America's destiny in the world.

--------------------------------------------------------------

From the Office of the Imperial Guard: Memorandum Re: Maine Incident

DATE: September 17 1895

FROM: Captain Paul Finley, Department of Covert Operations

TO: The Office of His Imperial Majesty, Emperor Feodor Stukov I

Due to the events which have unfolded since September 1 it is necessary to provide clear statements regarding the sinking of the battleship U.S.S. Maine on September 1 1895.

The assigned mission from the Office of the Imperial Guard for the destruction of the Maine via sabotage from exterior explosives was, as indicated in After Action Report 378 filed September 6 1895, a failure. No explosives were successfully placed on the hull of the Maine and detonation of the explosive device inflicted no damage upon the ship. The explosion of the device and the one that destroyed the Maine occurred approximately three minutes apart.

In all likelihood, baring the findings of the Maine Commission, it is my firm belief that the bomb's explosion under the water of Havana Harbor dislodged a mine placed there by the Spanish authorities and caused it to collide with the Maine, resulting in the second explosion.

Respectfully submitted, Cpt. Paul Finley, Imperial Guard

VILenin said:
That is kind of an odd Europe. Is that the Carlists in Spain? Good updates TC.
I saw more weird europe(hands-off game with liberia).Germany not formed,prussia lost 1870 war against france,france become a monarchy,england dowed(colonial) prussia nad got its colonies,balkans completely screwed up(like one-prov yugoslavia and a french macedonia),japan fought with china and russia in korea for 20 years.Mexico still holds california,still some native nations in america(nez perce,apachecree-athabaska),south america completely screwed up.At last,in 1911,england dowed france and the great war begun...(I'm still continuing to watch it)

I just read over this excellent AAR again. I have to say I loved it. When you finish your current one you should try and pick this one up again. ;)