• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(5941)

King of Wisconsin
Oct 3, 2001
Visit site
IGC 2.3 Options
Free Ireland, Brittany, Norway
Aus/Spa Lowlands, TO Ingermanland, Moldavian Bujak
Russian, Persian, Turkish, Uzbek, Polish Unrest
Cot's in Copenhagen, Stockholm, Anglia, Astrakhan, and Moscow
Other Alterations
Leader files for Nippon, Ayuthaya, and Dai Vet altered, Conquistadors and Explorers added.
Nippon, Ayuthaya, and Dai Vet recieve 1 colonist every year for all 300 years

Asian Chronicles: Volume One
The Empire of The Rising Sun

November 1491

The waters of the Yokohama Bay are quiet. My boat is nearly to the port at Edo. I, Mori Yoshimoto, Great warrior of the Mori family have been called to the service of the Benevolent Emperor, Emperor Go-Tsuchimikado. I have been called to advise him in the affairs of our great empire. I must write down everything so that nothing will be forgotten by our children. We have arrived at the dock and I must see his eminence.

I could not believe my ears when the Emperor told me that we were expand our empire in the south. I told him that south of our island was nothing but water but he merely pulled out a map. It appeared that the brave Uesegi had discovered some land south of us. He had given it the name of the Philippines. The emperor told me that we must claim this land for the Empire and continue to search in that area. Much valuable resources were to be discovered and we needed to gather all of the resources we could get if we were to go to war with our neighbors. I would provide Uesegi with the necessary provisions to continue his expeditions in the north and the south. I was also to provide the brave Fujiwarra with the necessary soldiers to go by foot on these islands and claim this territory for the glory of the Empire.

Soon, our neighbors would feel the wrath of the almighty Empire.

Jan 1492

Uesegi has embarked towards the north. I have alotted Fujiwarra 5k infantry and 2k cavalry. I have downsized all three of the Imperial Armies and renamed them. The army in Kyushu will now be called the Army of Manchuria and will consist of 70k infantry and 50k cavalry. The army in Honshu will now be called the Army of Korea and will consist of 90k infantry, 20k cavalry and 50 siege guns. The army at our capital in Edo, will remain the Imperial Army and will now consist of 100k infantry, 30k cavalry and 50 siege guns. The garrisons at Sendai and Hokkaido will now be named the Northern garrisons and will consist of 10k infantry and 5k cavalry. This was done to allow us to better supply our armies and to allow us to free some of our funds for the colonialization efforts.

I have sent two crews of merchants to the lands know as Siberia. The provinces of Nakhodka and Olga will be the locations of our trading posts and eventually they will be a staging area for our attacks on Korea. I have also begun the construction of 3 transports at Edo to transport Fujiwarra over to the southern islands. I must do something about our naval situation. At the moment, our military navy consists of the three warships under Uesegi's command. If any attack on the mainland is to be successful, the Empire will need a large navy.

Mar 1492

We successfully established a trading post at Olga but Nakhodka was a failure. We will be forced to send another crew there.

July 1492

Our three transports are completed. Fujiwarra has embarked towards the Philippines.

Nov 1492

Fujiwarra has arrived at Taiwan. We must first set up a station there because our navy will never make it to the Philippines intact.

Jan 1493

We have began constructing 2 warships at edo. We have also sent many merchants to Edo. This will allow us to increase our revenues.

Apr 1493

Fujiwarra subdues the native population at Taiwan and we begin to establish a trading post there.

June 1493

We successfuly establish a trading post at Taiwan. Soon we will begin to build a city there.

Oct 1493

Both warships at Edo have been completed. Uesegi has added the three transports to his fleet and will personally oversee the landing of Fujiwarra's expedition at the Philippines.

Jan 1494

Two more warships started at Edo. We have sent two more merchants to Edo and four to Tianjin, China.

june 1494

Fujiwarra arrives at the Philippines. The natives call the land Luzon. Since the natives are very passive, he begins to march south. Uesegi begins to explore the seas in the area.

Aug 1494

Fujiwarra is attacked by the native population in the land they call Mindoro. He, of course is victorious and he subdues the natives. He has now explored the entire island. Soon Uesegi will arrive and he will bring him to one of the other islands.

Jan 1495

We send six merchants to Tianjin. We begin to set up trading posts at Luzon and Mindoro. Fujiwarra begins to land on an island known as Samar. Due to lack of funds, we are only able to start construction on one warship.

Feb 1495

We acquired a monopoly at Tianjin. This will greatly fill our coffers with gold.

March 1495

We successfully establish a trading post at Luzon but Mindoro is a failure. Fujiwarra begins exploring Samar when the natives attack him. He quickly subdues them. Uesegi returns to the homeland to resupply his expedition.

May 1495

Due to Uesegi's long trip and a storm, one of his great warships is sunk. This is a great loss that will be very hard to replace.

Jan 1496

We begin to establish a trading post at Samar. Once Uesegi has finished exploring the seas near the Philippines, he will transport Fujiwarra to Luzon so that he can aid in a colonization effort there. We are able to construct two new warships at Edo. We also send three merchants to Edo to push the Koreans out of our market. In Tianjin, we have no competition at the time.

Mar 1496

We establish a trading post at Samar

Aug 1496

Another warship is lost in a chain of storms near the Philippines. We have sent two warships from Edo to Uesegi's Expedition.

Jan 1497

Fujiwarra moves to Luzon and we send some colonists to build a colony at Luzon. We send four merchants to Edo to push out the incessant Koreans. We start constructing another warship at Edo.

I was thinking of changing my tech level to Orthodox but decided to leave it. If things go really bad in the future, i might go into the savegame and alter it. I would rather not have to do that but if the game is going down the drain, i will change it to keep the aar alive. btw, does anyone know how to create a leaderfile for china or Korea. There is none currently (as far as i know). I don't know if copy-pasting another leaderfile and changing the extension will work. I plan on doing a couple asian aars ( as you can tell by the title) and I would like to play as China but they don't have leaders.

How did you survive the low supply limits problem? Whenever I play Japan I end up disbanding up to 200K infantry just to prevent them from starving...

In the beginning of the aar, i said that i downsized the army. I would have liked to keep the armies the way they are, but i wasn't planning on going to war anytime soon and there was no where to go with the extra soldiers.

Also... Isn't inflation KILLING you?

I think my inflation is pretty low. I set my economics slider bar pretty far left to make up for the pagan tech level group. this means i don't make any money during the year.

Don't worry, in just a few minutes, i will begin to post the next segment.

Two questions:

1. What will you do about the closing to the West?
2. Does Japan start w/ a shipyard? I've never seen any Japanese colonies, so I assumed that they didn't receive any colonists.

The Saga Continues....

March 1497

We have successfully established our first colony at Luzon. From this colony, we will expand into the Philippines. We have already predicted an increase in the population there (12%) and will soon give it a proper name. The colony has already set up a port and Uesugi's expedition can resupply there as he continues exploring the southern lands.

Feb 1498

We have begun to establish a trading post in Mindoro. We have also begun construction on two warships and one transport at Edo.

Apr 1498

The trading post at Mindoro was a failure. I will have to speak to the captain of that expedition. We have discovered valuable sugar there that is in high demand throughout our islands.

Jan 1499

We have begun construction on two warships at Edo. I also sent a letter of introduction to the hated Chinese. If we can get relations up with them, we could use them to help us defeat the Korean fortresses. China did accept the gift and relations went up slightly. Soon we will offer one of noble family's daughter in marriage to the Chinese Emperor's son. This would keep the peace between our two nations until we are ready for war with them.

Feb 1499

The captain of the expedition to Mindoro has reembarked to Mindoro. If he fails again, I am afraid that nothing I do can keep him from the Emperor's wrath.

Apr 1499

Good News! The trading post at Mindoro is now up and running. The precious sugar is now flowing to our homeland. We also have received news from Uesegi. He has discovered a new land that the natives call Sabah. Uesugi's soldiers that were sent to Sabah were immediately killed by the natives so Fujiwarra might be sent there to subdue the population and explore the surrounding area.

Jan 1500

A new millenium shines on the Empire of the Rising Sun. Many celebrations occur in all cities of the Empire. The Emperor even arrived for to put in the first nail of two warships that have just began their construction. I also received word from the colonists at Luzon that they have decided to name the colony Manila. Uesegi has also reported more land sightings. Soon we will claim those territories for the Empire. Things are looking up for the Empire of the Rising Sun.

Apr 1500

We have finally raised the money to provide a group of colonists with passage to Manila, Luzon.

June 1500

The colonists to Manila, Luzon failed. They attempted to destroy a sacred monument for their houses and were attacked by the local natives. Fujiwarra stopped the natives and sent a envoy to the chief to apologize. The chief accepted our apology and his soldiers returned to their villages. From now on, I will make sure Fujiwarra is watching the colonists so that they do not cross the natives again.

The reign of Go-Kashiwabara:

Jan 1501

Emperor Go-Kashiwabara will now lead our glorious Empire (3,3,2). He doesn't have the best diplomatic or administrative skills and his military skills are next to one so I will have to do my best to keep this empire on the rise.
In the past few months, I have alotted extra money to the treasury so we can now afford to send another group of colonists to Manila, Luzon and we can build a total of 3 warships at Edo.

Apr 1501

Our colonization attempts at Luzon have failed, this time to a storm north of the island that sank our boats. I fear that soon, colonists will not want to go to Luzon. Once we develop better boats, we will have an easier time faring the oceans.

Sep 1501

Uesegi has discovered the Island of Tindore, just south of the Philippines. He also said he may have spotted other islands south of Tindore.

Jan 1502

Construction started on two more warships at Edo. We had to send merchants to Tianjin and Edo to regain our monopolies so we may have to wait a month or two to raise the money for our colony at Luzon.

Mar 1502

Due to the loss of our monopoly in Tianjin, we have decided to hold off on the colonization efforts for a year. Uesegi has also reported that he has discovered an island named Buru, just south of Tindore.

Nov 1502

Fujiwarra has arrived at Sabah and was immediately attacked by the natives. He quickly subdued the natives but at the cost of all of his infantry dead or wounded. He is left with only cavalry. We will have to raise more adventurers to join his expedition.

Jan 1503

We have begun to train 5000 cavalry at Kyushu. Fujiwarra has moved west into a land called Brunei. He subdued the violent natives but at a very large cost. He is left with 75 cavalry soldiers. Soon the 5000 cavalry from Kyushu will arrive at Brunei and he can continue exploring. We have now begun to set up trading posts at Sabah and Brunei.

Mar 1503

We successfuly establish a trading post at Sabah.

Apr 1503

We fail to establish a trading post at Brunei.

Sep 1503

Fujiwarra's Expedition is reinforced by the 5000 cavalry and he continues to move West, this time at a much quicker pace.

Nov 1503

Fujiwarra arrives at a land called Sarawak and subdues the natives before moving south.

Jan 1504

Fujiwarra has arrived at a land called Bandjarmasin. He, of course, subdues the natives and now moves east. It appears as though this is a large island that he has discovered. Soon he will be back at our trading post at Sabah. We also sent merchants to Tianjin and Edo and we have begun to setup a trading post at Brunei where we previously failed.

Feb 1504

Good news! Go-Kashiwabara has put money into our naval efforts and we have reformed our navy. We now can build a merchant vessel known as a caravel.

Apr 1504

Fujiwarra has arrived at a land called Selatan. After subduing the natives, he marches north. We have also successfully established a trading post at Brunei.

May 1504

Uesegi has informed us that he saw colonist boats flying the Ayuthaya flag heading south. If they are beginning to expand there, this could mean trouble. We may have the makings of a war on our hands.

June 1504

Fujiwarra arrives at a land called Kalimantan, and after subduing the natives, moves to Sabah. I believe I will send him to an unclaimed piece of land south of Ayuthaya, a city called Singapore. If we can take Singapore, that would be a perfect position to attack the Thai.

Guess what guys?!?:( I have been posting this aar as I play the game and I just came to a horrible realization. I had noticed that Ayuthaya and Dai Vet were not colonizing near their home. I saved my game just now and used the cheat Columbus. Ayuthaya has a colony at Jamaica, a level 2 tp at St Thomas and a level 2 tp at Belle Isle, Canada. Dai Vet has a colony at Dominica and a level 1 tp at Les Cayes. Dai Vet also is in an alliance with Spain and their allies. Maybe I shouldn't have given Ayuthaya and Dai Vet an explorer and a conquistador.:(

What should I do, keep playing or start over and turn Ayuthaya and Dai Vet back to normal?:confused:

1. What will you do about the closing to the West?

Sorry, i was busy posting my update. As for the closing to the West, I have no idea. I was thinking that if possible I would reopen my cot's to the west but I don't think it will work.

2. Does Japan start w/ a shipyard? I've never seen any Japanese colonies, so I assumed that they didn't receive any colonists.

I changed the number of colonists Japan gets to one a year for all three hundred years. As I stated before, I also allowed Dai Vet and Ayuthaya one colonist for all 300 years instead of their normal. I also gave Ayuthaya, Dai Vet, and Japan some conquistadors and explorers ( which if you read my recent post, you will see some implications).

thanks, I think i am going to sit this one out, but that means i will have to quickly annex Dai Vet and Ayuthaya before their colonies become cities. The next asian aars that i do, i will fix this problem.:cool:

July 1505

We have failed to establish a colony at Singapore. If we can’t get a base there, we will have to begin to expand our navy. I have already set aside plans for transports to carry the Imperial army to Thailand.

Jan 1506

We have begun the construction on four transports at Edo and three at Honshu. Our standing Navy, not including Uesegi’s expedition is at 17 warships and 1 transport.

Feb 1506

We have abandoned our colonization attempts at Singapore and have begun to set up a trading post and Bandjarmasin. We will now rely on our navy to get the army to Thailand.

Mar 1506

We sent a letter of Introduction to China. Relations are almost high enough that we may have a chance to marry a noble with China.

May 1506

We established a trading post at Bandjarmasin. We also sent another letter of introduction to China. Our diplomats predict that one more will bring relations high enough for a marriage. Then the marriage will slowly bring relations up to neutrality.

Aug 1506

Another letter of introduction to China. Next month, we will sail the daughter of the noble family, Mori, to China.

Sep 1506

I will attend the marriage of Japan and China. When I return, I will continue my plans for war. Hopefully, relations might be up enough to ask China into a alliance. Then they won’t declare war on us after we remove Ayuthaya and Dai Vet.

Jan 1507

Construction begins on 4 transports at Edo and one at Honshu.

Oct 1507

Hosokawa Matsumoto, the General of the Imperial Army has passed away. A grand funeral was held for him. Although we foresaw this, this is a great loss for he was a siege expert. Colonel Ideyoshi has taken over the army due to no other superior officers.

Jan 1508

Construction begins on four transports at Edo. We have begun to setup trading posts at Selatin and Sarawak.

Apr 1508

We successfully established trading posts in Selatin and Sarawak.

Jan 1509

We have begun to establish a trading post at Kalimantan, thus marking all of that island off as Imperial territory. We have also begun construction on four transports at Edo and one at Honshu.

Feb 1509

I have been promoted to Count. This is a great honor for me. Now I must win this war with Ayuthaya to keep this position.

Apr 1509

We have successfully established a trading post at Kalimantan. Uesegi has just reported more lands south of Bandjarmason. We will send Fujiwarra there next.

Jan 1510

Fujiwarra has landed north of a native village known as Jakarta. The natives are very friendly and we are already setting up a trading post there. Construction has begun on four transports at Edo and one at Honshu. At the moment, our navy can’t even transport half of the Imperial Army (100k, 30k, 50guns). We may declare war on Ayuthaya soon and we will have to split up the army because we need to begin to spend money on relations with China.

Feb 1510

Fujiwarra arrives at a land called Sunda. The natives appear to be hostile but they have made no moves against Fujiwarra so he continues East.

Apr 1510

Fujiwarra arrives at a land called Bandung. The natives are extremely hostile and after fighting off the natives for over a month he decides to move back to Jakarta before the natives can regroup, as he is greatly outnumbered ( 2k cavalry ).

Aug 1510

The last batch of Transports are finished. Our navy excluding Uesegi now numbers 17 warships and 27 transports, able to carry 71 groups of 1k soldiers or 10 guns. When war is waged, we will bring all of the siege weaponry and as many troops as possible, no cavalry.

Jan 1511

We spent all of our money to send a personal gift to China and they merely brushed it aside as if it were nothing. This insult will be paid for in the future, but now we must get relations up enough so that they will not trouble us. The Emperor is getting impatient and the people are crying for blood. After the year’s end, we will have war with Ayuthaya.

Jan 1512

We sent another personal gift to China, this time with massive results. Many talks of alliances with Japan our heard by our spies in the Chinese courts. This year, we still had enough money to send traders to Jakarta (we failed last time), and to the Philippine island of Palawan, discovered just a year ago by Uesegi. I have also convinced the Emperor to hold off on the war. Our scientists have nearly discovered a new type of gun for our boats and a new design that will allow them some extra speed. In just a few more years we can go to war. Luckily, the Emperor listens to my counsel and has postponed the war for at the most, five more years.

Great news. The noble families of Japan have seen the large need for navies and have digged in their coffers. They have donated 400 Koku to the Empire. It is good to see the families working together for the good of the Empire. We have begun construction on 4 transports at Edo, 4 at Honshu, 4 at Kyushu, 4 at Shikoku, 3 at Sendai and 1 at Hokkaido for a total of 20 new transports with room for 40k infantry. This will greatly boost the number of troops we can send. We still will split up the armies, but we may be able to attack two locations at once. The beginning of next year, I will have our laborers make more siege weapons.

Mar 1512

We successfully established a trading post at Palawan.

May 1512

Once again our traders failed to establish a trading post at Jakarta. Jakarta deals in valuable sugar that is still in high demand. This is not good.

Jan 1513

Due to the fact that ten siege guns cost 65 koku, we have decided to relocate the fifty siege guns in Honshu to the Imperial army. We sent another personal gift to China. Relations our nearly at perfect neutrality. We will now be so bold as to ask for an alliance with China. We can use them to conquer the Koreans later on.

Feb 1513

We have come into contact with some strange people that call themselves Portugese from a far off land they call Europe. We recall hearing stories of this land by the Mongolian literature that we got a hold of. The Mongolians conquered them with ease but now these pale-skinned people come to us with advanced firepower. They say that they will trade their guns with us for our spices. We of course agreed. This could greatly aid our with with Ayuthaya. *refer to bottom

With this boost we have decided to increase relations with China slightly more and then declare war on Ayuthaya.

Jan 1514

We have decided to try our luck again, we sent another trader to Jakarta. We also sent a personal gift to China and relations have went slightly positive. We will immediately raise money for another gift and hopefully go to war with Ayuthaya before the end of the year.

Feb 1514

Amazing, our spies were right, China was contemplating an alliance. Before we could even write up the proposal, a Chinese diplomat was at our Palace requesting an alliance. We immediately accepted.

Mar 1514

Foolish Europeans, they have begun to spread their foolish beliefs amongst our people and a couple thousand people have begun to believe. Our risk for revolt has gone up and the religious leaders believe it will take nearly a year to perform the religious cleansing.

May 1514

Once again failure at Jakarta. I am getting very angry with the traders, we need that trading post.

Aug 1514

Our Merchants and our head laborers have reported to us this month. The Merchants have brought us news of something used in Europe, a trade embargo, where a nation refuses another access to their cot’s. This may come in handy. Our Head laborers report that they have learned how to build fine arts academies to store our historical treasures and to help keep the populace happy. These are both great announcements. We have also raised the money to, do I dare say, send another trader to Jakarta. Next year, I will simply send colonists there and if that fails I will begin to expand near our trading post at Olga.

November 1514

As I expected, our trading post at Jakarta failed, now we will simply send colonists there.

Jan 1515

We sent a letter of introduction to China and relations went up a bit. The rest of our money was spent to embark the colonists to Jakarta and to send some merchants to Tianjin. We have managed to keep competition in Tianjin and Edo low and we have kept solid monopolies but now China pushed their way up in the Tianjin market.

May 1515

Amazing. The colonist expedition to Jakarta have begun to build their colony, in the actual village of Jakarta. This will make converting the Jakartan natives to Japanese much easier.

Aug 1515

A letter appears on the dinner table at the palace in Bangkok. War. I have managed to keep this a secret between me, the Emperor, his closest aides and the Imperial Army. As Ramatibodi II read this letter, the split Imperial Army was making landings at Kuala Lumpur and Bangkok. So far, the war is going good.

Each army consists of 50k infantry and 50 guns. All of the Ayutthayan fortresses are small garrisons that are unused to our guns. Hopefully, this war will be short and victorious.

Sadly, our people are not fully behind this war and because the Ayutthayans are the same religion as us, our stability has plummeted. China has joined us, but we are mainly alone.

Late Aug 1515

The siege of Kuala Lumpur has begun. The Ayutthayans have no knowledge of gunpowder so their fortresses will crumble beneath our siege guns.

Sep 19, 1515

Kuala Lumpur has fallen to the Army. A detachment of one thousand infantry will march south to put the trading post at Malacca under our control while the rest of the army marches north to besiege Phuket.

Sep 28, 1515

The other army arrives at Bangkok and begins the siege.

Oct 8, 1515

The detachment arrives at Malacca and takes control there.

Oct 15, 1515

The southern army arrives at Phuket.

Oct 19, 1515

We take Bangkok. The northern army moves to Kwai. We have also stolen the Ayutthayan maps and discovered great worlds out there and more land to conquer. We now know of the Portugese, the Spanish and the English. We also come into contact with the Mughals, Mysore and Hyderbad, all in India.

Dec 1515

It appears as though the Ayutthayans have gained some siege guns and have placed them in their last two forts. This will prolong the war some.

Dec 8, 1515

We encountered our first resistance army of 3k infantry in Kwai. We slaughtered them to the last one. This war is already won.

Jan 1516

Mori Motonari of the Mori clan has taken over the Army of Manchuria located in Kyushu. I would have him transported down to Thailand but it will require too much so I will save him for the way with Korea, which will happen as soon as this war is over.

Another colonist expedition to Jakarta.

Feb 1516

It has been decided. Mori Motonari will be transported to Thailand and personally head the sieges. When the war is over, he can return to Japan.

May 1516

The foolish colonists have cursed the gods of the Jakartans. Immediately, the Jakartans went into a rage and Fujiwarra was forced to kill all of them to keep his men alive.

Aug 1, 1516

Phuket has fallen to the southern army. Due to the lack of resources the Northern army cannot continue to siege Kwai. Soon the Southern army will arrive as will Mori.

Aug 30, 1516

The southern army arrives at Kwai.

Sep 1, 1516

The garrison at Kwai surrenders to our army. We will now completely annex Ayutthaya. Mori still hasn’t arrived but we will immediately return to Kyushu.

Sep 3, 1516

We have fully annexed Ayutthaya. The Imperial Army will remain down there to keep the peace but the populace seems as though they could care less about who rules them. Maybe that’s why Ayutthaya offered no resistance. Either way, the Ayutthayan territories that we gained are as follows: Bangkok 19k citizens, Kwai 5k citizens, Phuket <5k citizens, Kuala Lumpur 5k citizens, lvl1 tp in Malacca, lvl1 tp in Irrawady, lvl1 tp in Salvador (S. America), lvl1 tp in St Martin, lvl2 tp in St Thomas, Jamaica 272 citizens, lvl1 tp in Rio Grande, lvl1 tp in Biloxi, and a lvl2 tp in Belle Isle.

At Jamaica, an army of 900 infantry and 750 cavalry defected to us and a navy of 2 warships defected to us. We will definitely expand into the carribean with its rich sugar plantations.

Also, about 5k infantry defected to our side from Bangkok.

Now for the much awaited war with Korea.

Jan 1517

20 guns at Kyushu under construction. War with Korea imminent. We plan on splitting Korea up between us and China. We have reports from our spies that many Koreans hate the government and would be willing to aid us with supplies once we are there.

Mar 1517

The local nobles at Shikoku have upgraded their defenses and the main fortress. Although we don’t expect any attacks there, it can’t hurt us to fortify it, as long as they aren’t try to perform a coup.

Apr 1517

I have been promoted to Marquis. This brings great honor to my family.

May 1517

We have alotted 20k cavalry from the Army of Manchuria to remain behind, the rest will begin to board the navy and land at the Korean capital of Pusan, Kyongju. Now it is time for war.:mad:

*Actually, the army was reformed and Japan researched land level 5, Arquebus, but I had to add this twist to the story. My maps still don’t show me any Europeans

hmm.... i really enjoyed reading what you've got so far of this AAR. Is it going to continue?

Originally posted by BloodyAmerican
thanks, I think i am going to sit this one out, but that means i will have to quickly annex Dai Vet and Ayuthaya before their colonies become cities. The next asian aars that i do, i will fix this problem.:cool:

Not giving them an explorer, or only giving them explorers that live one or two years should keep them more close to home.