Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Normandy AAR

Fighting the Boredom

Normandy AAR

Normandy
    Normal/Early Period. No Mod's.

I have decided for my first Knight's of Honour game to record my trials and tribulations immediately in an AAR. I'd like to state, for the record, that i am generally a fairly bad player. I expect therefore to make many mistakes along the way but i will use this as an opportunity to learn about the game and get better as i go! My basic aims for this AAR are as follows:
    • Ensure i retain the province of Normandy, no matter what, as a de facto administrative and spiritual capital. If i lose it - i must recapture it at all costs.
    • Try to conquer and claim England (and Wales/Ireland).
    • Try to conquer Sicily/Southern Italy.
    • Try to finish in a respectable position. No warmongering.

Also I have copied Anguille's idea (see his Fatamid AAR) on the age of rulers with some slight tweaks. I hope this will allow me to capture information during the AAR at the right times. As a monarch ages i can ensure that the AAR is presented accordingly. I might revise this if it doesnt work out.
    • Young = ? - 35yrs
    • Middle Aged = 35-50yrs
    • Old = 50-60yrs
    • Very Old = 60-75yrs
    • Venerable = 75+yrs

Please note that I have only played the demo so a lot of things will be new to me. The demo has however been an excellent 'teacher' to me and i recommend those that havent tried this game yet to download it immediately and see what they are missing!
    Last edited by Languish; 02-06-2005 at 10:43.

Africa & MidEast cartographer elvain's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIRome GoldCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: The Republic
    Crusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

I'm looking forward to see your AR

my map of medieval Europe:
    REGIONS OF MEDIEVAL EUROPE

CK inspired game development - Medieval Dynasties

I'm already greedy to read the AAR .
    Good luck, William the-not-yet-conqueror!

Angryminer
    Ich bin der Geist, der stets verneint!
    Und das mit Recht; denn alles, was entsteht,
    ist wert, daß es zugrunde geht;
    Drum besser wär's, daß nichts entstünde.
    So ist denn alles, was ihr Sünde,
    Zerstörung, kurz das Böse nennt,
    Mein eigentliches Element.

Verse 1338 bis 1343 aus Goethes "Faust, Der Tragödie erster Teil"

Europa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome
    SengokuVictoria 2

I too began my very first Game as Normandy with a clear goal of unifiying and creating England. Normandy has a very scary starting position, starts out with no army and a marshall that is sucking your treasury dry. It will be quite a challenge, I look forward to reading your AAR.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Rome GoldVictoria 2

Go Normany go! I've tried it personally before, but France killed me.

Rōnin and Caput lupinum Anguille's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEast India Company CollectionEU3 CompleteLost Empire - ImmortalsRome Gold
    SengokuSword of the Stars

Looking forward to this...good luck
    A Knights of Honor story:

The Merchant of Alexandria: a Fatimids AAR

Le Schtroumpf qui schtroumpfe le schtroumpf est un gros Schtroumpf….c’est le Schtroumpf qui l’a schtroumpfé. Et si le Schtroumpf ne le schtroumpfe pas, c'est son propre schtroumpf. C'est quand même incroyable que l'on ne peut pas schtroumpfer ce que l'on veut schtroumpfer dans le schtroumpf sans être schtoumpfé de Schtroumpf.

Fighting the Boredom

Chapter I. Normandy

Chapter I. Normandy.

Duke William

1000-1010

Situation

Duke William of Normandy, was a (supposedly!) Young and Energetic Ruler of the city of Rouen in what is now modern day northern france. He was blessed with three fine children and a beautiful wife. He was in control of a well fortified and defendable city within Normandy. The great city of Rouen. The region had a proud military history but currently no army stood in the city at all. This was something that was soon to change but all in good time.

Actions

William first need to ensure his Royal Court was controlled by his most loyal subjects, including his own children, and duly set about assigning noblemen to their duties. He promoted the powerful Count Guilliame as a Marshal of the province, became extremely vigilant himself in his own court (William became a spy), and his eldest son as a Merchant in the markets of Germany. In 1003 William organised the marriage of his Daughter, Agnes, to a Prince of France. It was hoped this would help solidify relations with their great neighbour to their south.

More Royal Appointments followed. Prince John, the Duke's second eldest son, was tasked with following up the marriage in France by becoming a Merchant in those lands. It was believed he would have special privileges and tariffs available to him. Count Perrin was assigned to oversee the construction of a Swordsmith, Granary and Inn in Rouen -- something he did with particular zest. Counts Regnault and Gillet were tasked with trading with Cordoba and the Fatamid Empire respectively.

Count Guilliame was beginning to build the foundations of the first royal army in 1010 when news was delivered of the re-uniting of Scotland. It was interesting news but it didnt trouble the duchy a great deal. Not yet anyway, however, the conquest of Wales by Munster was slightly concerning. The completion of a Fishmonger ended this period of the Duke's rule.

Important Maps

Family Tree 1000, Political Maps from 1000 and 1010

- -

(Please click on the thumbnails for original sized image and more detailed notes)

Fighting the Boredom

Chapter II. Burgundian War

Chapter II. Burgundian War.

Duke William

1011-1025

Situation

Duke William has solidified control over Normandy by the appointment of several trusted friends, advisors and generals. Numerous trading agreements and non-agression pacts have ensured some security for the province. He was looking to flex his muscle when an opportunity soon presented itself.

Actions

William is approached by Hugh Capet, King of France and asked if they can assist in the subjugation of Burgundy who plague them at every opportunity. Recently marrying off his daughter, Agnes, he felt it was only too prudent to accept. A reasonably large force was assembled in Rouen, under the stewardship of Count Guilliame, and he begins to blaze a trail of death and destruction throughout North Anjou. He is able to develop his skills and reputation as a plunderer (+1 enforcer) unimpeded by Burgundian troops who are busy repelling successive French and Spanish assaults.

During this period, considerable developments were being undertaken back home at Rouen, with the successive constructions of a Chain Mail Workshop and Bakery to aid both the army and people respectively. Prince John, youngest son of the Duke, clamored to be allowed to lead men on the battlefield instead of wasting his life away as a merchant. His eldest brother was not so fortunate. Prince John was granted the title of Marshal and equipped with men and materials to assist him in his endeavors.

Count Guilliame had spent the last decade or so plundering in Anjou when it was announced that the city had fallen, and that almost all central france, was now under Spanish dominion. This did not phase the Norman's. It was considered a dress rehearsal for the first stage in their expansionist plans. It was then that a surprising message was to arrive altering those plans somewhat.

Important Maps

Burgundian Declaration, War 1013 & 1017, Political Map 1023

- - -

(Please click on the thumbnails for original sized image and more detailed notes)
    Last edited by Languish; 02-06-2005 at 14:04.

Fighting the Boredom

Chapter III. Breton War

Chapter III. Breton War.

Duke William

1025-1029

Situation

Duke William has instructed Guilliame and Prince John to march eastwards, to flanders, presently under the control of the Earldom of York with the intention of attacking and claiming land there.

Actions

At the border camp near Flanders, Prince John and Count Guilliame ready themselves for the soon-to-occur, invasion of Flanders - and thus war, with the Earldom of York. An envoy comes to visit them from York, whom they initially think is going to discuss the invasion, yet surprisingly the envoy is oblivious to the threat currently awaiting Flanders. He brings instructions, from his ruler, to instigate trade with the Norman's. Initially refusing the request, the Prince, is stunned to see the hand in marriage of Princess Mabel offered as suitable persuasion. After a brief period of courtship, in and around the camps on the borders, the young prince agrees. She is not only beautiful but intelligent as well - a perfect match for the Prince. The armies return to Normandy where a great marriage ceremony takes place.

A year later, the young prince is instructed by his father, to ride westwards to Brittany. The duchy of Brittany, isolated and vulnerable, is chosen as the perfect target for the first phase of Norman expansion in Europe. A camp is duly set up on the border as the armies ready themselves for war. In 1027, the declaration is handed to a stunned Brittany, and they march across the river separating the two duchies. In the first clash, Count Jacquet of Brittany, was captured though later executed. His army is annihilated. Count Huget, leads the last ditch effort to repel the Norman's, but finds himself engulf by Norman Knights and slaughtered. Count Laurens is sent out a few months later, with barely a few horses, and is cut down before he can inflict any damage to the invaders. Soon after Rennes is at the mercy of the Norman's who storm and conquer it quickly.

Prince John personally leads his troops, victoriously, down the old streets of Rennes developing a reputation as a fearful and merciless commander (Dread +2) during the campaign. No-one dares to boo or heckle him. Count Guilliame, leading his troops personally in several battles has begun the development of a crack unit of swordsmen (Sword Mastery +1) (Learning +1) as he is able to put his significant experience to good use. By the end of 1029, Prince John has overtaken his sickly brother Edward, in more ways than one. William moves him first in line to the throne as he is married, experienced, and good ruler material.

Important Maps

York Marriage, War 1027 & 1028, Political Map 1029

- - -

Last edited by Languish; 02-06-2005 at 14:04.

Fighting the Boredom

Chapter IV. Assault on Wessex

Chapter IV. Assault on Wessex.

Duke William

1030-1036

Situation

Duke William has conquered the duchy of Brittany, and unwittingly, gained an incredibly useful province able to produce a wide variety of goods. He now has, at his disposal, two experienced and eager generals - include the future duke, John - now married to York, perhaps with future claims there.

Actions

Authority is quickly imposed on the former duchy of Brittany. A Cleric, Count Bertran, is tasked with the duty of keep the land controlled and spiritually linked with the Norman's. There is some suspicion as to the origins of Count Bertran as he seems at times all to eager to impose harsh punishments and other over the top dealings of justice with the populace. It is around this time that the Kingdom of Wessex approaches the Norman's offering a non-aggression pact. It is refused leading to widespread speculation the the Norman's will invade England.

A non-aggression pact and alliance is signed with York. This further solidifies the marriage a few years ago and provides an emergency clause if Normandy are to be attacked by anyone. York is such a massive and powerful Earldom that this cannot be overlooked. Many people, again, view it as preparations for an invasion. They are correct, a mere few months later, war is declared on Wessex and a large army arrives in Cornwall and, for the time being, the assistance of York, is not required.

Exeter is quickly invested with a large siege army headed by the experience Count Guilliame (Engineering +1). Prince John, in keeping with his fearful reputation, heads off around the province defeating incursions and rebels wherever he finds them. When Exeter finally falls to Guilliame, Prince John, finds himself fending off a massive combined rebel/wessex army. He does so with valor and power - killing both leaders and destroying the armies. As news of the fall of Exeter spreads around even graver news returns.

Important Maps

Wessex Diplomacy, Family Tree, War 1034, Victory 1036

- - -

Last edited by Languish; 02-06-2005 at 14:05.

You say your generals are experienced, but how much and in which fields? And why have you opted for those fields?

Fighting the Boredom

Quote Originally Posted by rafiki
    You say your generals are experienced, but how much and in which fields? And why have you opted for those fields?
    I figure they are experienced, from a purely time base perspective (30yrs or so now for Guilliame), however they do possess actual skills which improve their ability in combat...

I tend to choose skills which benefit my preferred method of playing. For example Guilliame is a 'plunderer' and 'siege man' so i have equipped him thus whereas Prince John relies on moral, in this case Dread +2, which causes... effectively... fear in the opposing troops.

Fighting the Boredom

Chapter V. The Duke is Dead. Long live the Duke

Chapter V. The Duke is Dead. Long live the Duke.

Duke John

1036-1038

Situation

Duke William has died leaving a strong three province empire for his son, Prince John, to rule. Prince John, ruthless on the battlefield vows to continue the invasion of Wessex as planned by his father.

Actions

Duke William passed away in his sleep gracefully handing over the reigns of power to his youngest and most successful son Prince John, now known officially as the Duke of Normandy, Brittany and Cornwall. He makes his wishes clear to his compatriots - he wants to conquer england. However, the early years of his reign do not go according to plan. His and Guilliames troops are tired, hungry and exhausted. They are harried at every opportunity by the forces of Wessex. Fortune is on the young dukes side, as the french decline to press any claims they have against Normandy, through the marriage of Agnes a while ago.

Duke John has learned much from his campaigns in southern england (Logistics +1, Siegecraft +1) and orders the assembly of an all-cavalry force to be headed up by an old friend of his whom he has just appointed to his court. Count Marc, a dashing cavalry man and longtime friend, is tasked with assembling such a force. A major battle takes place outside Canterbury that sees the Norman's successfully defeating a major army under control of Earl Stephen of Wessex. Duke John's reputation increases significantly and rumours abound that he is invincible (Dread +3 MAX). Guilliame continues to destroy the settlements in and around kent, maximsing the damage done, as he progresses (Enforcer +1). However the success masks the fact that both Guilliame and John have gravely weakened forces.

Important Maps

Death, Inheritance, War 1037 - 38

- - -

Fighting the Boredom

Chapter VI. Of horses and popes

Chapter VI. Of horses and popes.

Duke John

1039-1041

Situation

Duke John is known wide and far as a fearless and fearful man. He has a passion to drive men on that others find unsettling. Still a young man, his ambition, is to conquer England. His newest and closest friend, Count Marc, is to eventually prove to be a uniquely helpful man.

Actions

Count Marc, sailing across to Kent, first arrives plundering and ravaging like those before him - however with one key difference - all his men are mounted. This proves to be a problem for the army of Earl Albin of Wessex. This man had proved dangerous for the weakened Norman armies in the south but against Count Marc he was heavily defeated and forced to withdraw. An army of York arrives shortly afterwards, somewhat unexpectedly, but it is later discovered they were all killed to man during the assault of Canterbury.

During John and Guilliames replenishment of troops several pieces of good news are discovered. Firstly Byzantium, arguably the largest empire in the middle east, have changed there opinion of the Norman's offering a lucrative trading agreement which John happily signs. Recognition from the state such as this is good praise indeed! Only a year later, the zealous bishop of Rennes, Count Bertran is elected to be the new Pope. He will henceforth be called Pope Adrian I. The celebrations are short-lived unfortunately.

Important Maps

Battle 1039, York 1040, Byzantia 1040, Pope 1041

- - -

Pangalactic Gargleblaster Lord Boreal's Avatar
    200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDiplomacy
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSword of the StarsVictoria 2
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Very nice. I do enjoy playing as Normandy, by the way, you only have to conquer Cornwall, Kent, Anglia and Mercia to unite England...so you know

In the beginning, the Universe was created. This made alot of people angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.
    My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland, and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes
    - Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

Great to see you advance so fast. *thumbs up*
    Great AAR!

Angryminer

Fighting the Boredom

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Boreal
    Very nice. I do enjoy playing as Normandy, by the way, you only have to conquer Cornwall, Kent, Anglia and Mercia to unite England...so you know
    I did that - later in the game / still to updated - but nothing happened... which at the time was slightly confusing. I read somewhere that Wessex and Anglia have to be out of the picture too? As it stands in my last save somewhat on from this point, Wessex still exists, but have confined themselves to Ulster. Can anyone actually clarify the conditions for becoming England?

Yes, you have to defeat Anglia and Wessex ( = remove them from the map ) in order to unite England.

Angryminer

Fighting the Boredom

Quote Originally Posted by Angryminer
    Yes, you have to defeat Anglia and Wessex ( = remove them from the map ) in order to unite England.

Angryminer
    Thanks for clarifying that. I was a little suprised it took so much hunting to actually find that information out (I know i could have simply asked). It was burried away in a thread in the official Knights of Honour forums and mentioned once, only briefly, from what i could tell. Most of the more promising threads were about uniting england, but as a different kingdom/duchy, which threw me sometimes.

Additionally the manual, which is suprisingly excellent compared to other manuals i have seen, doesnt really mention anything about such things - unless its deeply hidden or i'm blind!

Thanks for that Angryminer

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast