• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
YNGLINGA SAGA

79. KING HÅKON'S LEGACY

Now the saga must for a moment turn out of the sequence of things, and tell of events that came to pass somewhat after the battles told of thus far. For while King Håkon lay on his deathbed, he called to himself Tryggve his bishop, and said that he wished to make a will. And as this tale has a great bearing on what happened in Poland in these years, it is best if it is told first.

These then are the words of King Håkon : "You will remember that while we were campaigning in Germany, there came to us an emissary from King Sieciech, and we all agreed that there was naught to do but submit; but that night I had a dream, and in the morning I ordered that the trells should be armed, and the struggle continue, for Olaf Halkjellson had spoken to me. Then I did not speak the whole truth of that dream, for I feared lest my soldiers should be disheartened. But now that danger is past, and I can instruct my sons with a clear mind."

"Here then is the fullness of my dream : King Olaf spoke to me, and he said 'This is a hard hour for Norway; but my time is not yet, if you have the true heart of an Yngling.' Then I replied 'I think my heart is as strong as any man's; but tell me now how we may gain the victory here.' King Olaf smiled upon me, and said 'The sacrifice of a King is powerful seid'. He said nothing more, but I took his meaning; it seemed to me then that a long time passed, but he did not grow impatient, and at last I nodded. Then he laid his hands upon my head, and blessed me; and I felt a great strength come upon me; and so I woke and gave King Sieciech a strong word for his master, and how that ended you well know."

"Now my bane comes upon me; but before I join King Olaf in the halls of Dovre, I will lay this upon my sons, and upon all the Ynglings : Because theirs is the power and the glory of kingship, theirs also must be the burden, and always they must be ready to give sacrifice for the land."

These words were King Håkon's last; they are engraved upon his tomb in the Nidaros Dome, and all Ynglings make pilgrimage there at least once in their lives, and kneel before the tomb and swear an oath always to serve Norway.

80. OLAF HALKJELLSON AIDS HIS KINSMAN

Now while the trells were gathering in the North to fight for their freedom, the spirit of Olaf Halkjellson went South, to the lands where he had won victories in life. There he found the place where Sieciech Piast held camp; and he went to the sleeping King's ear all unseen, and whispered that Norway was beaten, and it was time to turn south and defeat the Italians. Thus when the King awoke, he gave orders that the Poles should break camp and march to the Alps, and not pursue the Norwegians as they retreated across the Sound.

trellmuster.jpg

Opp, all jordens bundne treller!
Opp I, som sulten knuget har!

But in this wise King Håkon was given time to muster his armies anew, and put new heart in them; and his host swelled with the addition of the trells, strong and bitter men whose eyes blazed with the promise of freedom, and with rage against any who would stand in their way. Then the King crossed once more the Sound at the head of a vast fleet of dragon-ships, and he fell upon the armies laying siege to Mecklenburg and defeated them, and marched up the coast relieving all the cities there, and swiftly retaking those where the Poles had left garrisons. In this enterprise those men who had been trells were of the greatest aid to him, for there was no work so hard that they would not undertake it, and they fought with the wild ferocity of those who have been whipped all their lives. "With a hundred of these men", said Håkon, "I would storm the gates of Hell." And when a thousand fell in the storm of Brandenburg, the bitter jest ran that the Polish soldiers were more blackhearted than the hosts of Lucifer. But however black their hearts, they were no match for the rage of the trell-host of Norway; and soon the German lands were clear of foes.

Then Håkon entered the Piast domain, and burned the farms and harried the people. It was said that the trells showed no mercy to man, woman, or beast, and that where they had gone, there was no house unburnt, nor virgin unravished, for three days' march around. For when men are released from the bonds of long oppression, their first desire is revenge, and they are none too choosy about whom it falls upon. Nor did Håkon try to moderate them; for he said "Let the Poles fear us, and not make war in our lands again; if they would be safe, let them stay at home." And in this wise many rich districts were laid bare.

81. THE SIEGE OF KRAKOW

250px-Siege_of_Constantinople.jpg

krakowsiege.jpg

The Vistula flows through the broad plains of Poland; and near its source lies the great fortress-city of Krakow, where the Piast Kings hold their court. Now in the spring of the fourth year of the war King Håkon came to this city with his army. At first he thought to take it by storm, in the same way that he had taken other cities in Poland; but when he saw the height of the walls, and how thichkly the Krakowskie-men held them, he ordered instead that a great mound of earth be thrown up around the city, and a siege begun. Then he sent heralds to the burghers, offering to spare their city if they would give him bread, salt, and gold; but believing that their King would soon return to their relief, the council of the city refused him, and sent the heralds back empty-handed. "Well," said Håkon, "if not honey, then vinegar"; and he began the construction of many wheeled towers that could each hold a hundred men, and great stone-slingers, and other such engines of war.

On the thirtieth day of the siege all was ready, and the towers began to roll forwards. The men of Krakow had not been idle, and their engines fired great stones and barrels of burning tar at the towers, and many were destroyed; in this wise many died. But the living were spurred to greater effort by the death cries of their comrades, and soon the towers were at the walls; then the trells of Norway rushed out along the bridges, and fell upon the Krakowskie-men; and there was much hard fighting done. But the Poles warded themselves well, and many Norwegians fell under their swords; and in the end they could not force the walls. This was the first time a city had held against the storm of the trell-host, and there was much rejoicing in Krakow; but King Håkon merely said "It is not the first blow that settles a fight" ; and he ordered strong wine to be distributed among his men, so they could drink to their fallen comrades.

The next day, King Håkon ordered that birds of all kinds should be brought to him; and the army therefore captured a great many pigeons, ravens, doves, eagles, and crows, and brought them to King Håkon, who put them in cages, each according to their kind. The next day also, and the third, went by in this manner; and men wondered if grief for the storm-fallen had bent the King's mind. But on the fourth day Håkon ordered that each bird should have a twig tied to its foot, and the twig set afire; and then the birds were released, to fly with the wind over Krakow. In this manner a great many fires were begun within the fortress-city, and hundreds died, for the men dared not leave their posts on the walls, and so only women and children were left to fight the flames. But when the fires burned out, the walls remained strong; and the people of Krakow flocked to their stone-built churches, that stood tall among the ashes, and wept for their homes. But still they did not surrender. For the Poles prize above all things odwaga, which in our tongue means courage.

Now King Håkon ordered that the Vistula should be diverted, so that it would no longer flow through Krakow and give the inhabitants water; and for a month men dug trenches and hauled rocks, to dam a river mightier than any found in Norway. But when the work was done it was found that Krakow had many natural wells and springs, and also the rains fell heavily on the Polish plain that summer. So this scheme came to naught, and many in the Norwegian host began to grumble that they had not marched to Poland to bear spades, but arms.

Now there happened that which King Håkon feared the most : Disease broke out among his host, and each day many men died. The dead were flung by the great stone-throwers over the walls of Krakow, and soon besieger and besieged suffered equally; but as the men of Norway slept in tents and under blankets, while those of Krakow found shelter in churches and in the houses of the rich - for all the burghers of Krakow had opened their houses to the poor whose homes had burnt - the Norwegians had the worse of it.

As the siege had continued for many months, and winter was coming on, men grew discouraged, and said that Krakow was impregnable; for no army in living memory had set foot within its gates. But now it happened that a young Yngling boy, who was named Skofte, and had followed his father Harald to the wars, came before Håkon and asked, "What reward would you give, Sire King, to the man who could lead you inside Krakow's walls?" Then the King replied, "To such a man I would give five golden armrings, and as much rich farmland as two strong oxen can plow in a day and a night. But one who made such a claim had best be right, or he would find that I deal harshly with poor jesters." Skofte then said, "Follow me, Sire King, and you shall see whether I jest or not"; and he led the Håkon to a place where an ancient sewer came out of Krakow. It had been made in olden times to cover over a stream that flowed out of the city, and forgotten long since; but it was large enough that a man could walk in it, if he did not stand up straight.

SkofteYngling.jpg

Young Skofte. I aged him artificially by a quick edit to make this picture, hence the complete lack of traits. I have no doubt he'll grow up sneaky, deceitful, selfish and cruel, though - after all, at the tender age of four, he gave over an entire city to the sack, merely to enrich himself.

At this King Håkon was most pleased, and gave Skofte the five golden rings he had promised, and a good sword besides; and he picked a hundred men from among the smaller and more vicious trells, and led them into the tunnel, while the rest of his army stood ready for attack. In this way they came upon the Poles guarding the North Gate all unsuspecting, and slew them, and opened the gates to the Norwegian army. But before the trells could seize the gate, the Poles realised their danger, and rushed to defend their homes, and there was much hard fighting; and in this battle King Håkon was wounded in the groin. But his picked men held the gate open, and the Norwegian host rushed in, and sacked the city. No quarter was given, for that the burghers had not surrendered when summoned, and also because the Norwegians were tired with long fighting and angry with many deaths. No male over twelve was spared. The churches where the women flocked for refuge were pulled down over their heads, and many were killed; the ones who survived were ravaged and led off to slavery. The chalices and icons were pulled from the ruins, and many a trell found himself a wealthy man after this; for Krakow had been the wealthiest city in Poland.

82. PEACE OF SALZBURG

Now when news of his reached King Sieciech, he wept and tore his hair, and sent heralds to Håkon to beg his terms for peace, so that the cities of Poland should be spared the fate of Krakow; for his campaigns in the south had not gone well, and the armies of Poland were dispirited and few in number. Håkon then replied : "We have seen what comes of haughty pride and great demands, so we shall be merciful. Let Sieciech give us rule of Silesia, and we shall say no more of this war"; and to this Sieciech gladly agreed. Håkon then gave Silesia to young Skofte, as he had promised; and later that Yngling had from his grandfather two Polish counties, Lubusz and Poznanskie, which thereby came into Norwegian rule. For this reason Skofte, and also by reason of his finding the sewer entrance into Krakow, Skofte had much favour from King Håkon.

(And before you ask, no, I assassinated nobody to bring this about. The count of Lubusz' son died quite naturally of a severe wound, apparently acquired in battle.)

83. DEATH OF KING HÅKON

HakonPlagueYngling.jpg

King Håkon's last days.

But now it came to pass as King Olaf had said : King Håkon was taken by the plague, and could not leave his bed; and his wound, that he had gotten in the battle for Krakow's gate, pained him greatly, so he became delirious and cried out for his mother. In this state he could take no nourishment, and grew thin and weak; and all over Norway the Ynglings began to travel to Bergen, to hold Ting for a new King's election.

As the end neared, the King's fever broke, and he became clear-headed once more, though very weak; and he told his will for the future, as we have recounted already. But this last effort exhausted him; and he spoke no further, though he lingered on for another day and a night. When he died, three masses were said for his soul, and he was buried under the Nidaros Dome; there he sleeps still, watching over the Ynglings to hold them to his oath.

Here ends the saga of Håkon Eysteinsson Yngling.

(OK, he is strictly speaking not dead yet; but the plague is pretty certain for a man his age. Anyway, it just seems fitting.)

Europe in 1382 :

Europe1382.jpg

Woohoo, this shed a tear in my eye!:)

holy crap it's been a while since I've read this but wow, the Yunglings have come back from being almost destroyed by the HRE to now even giving the Piasts a good run for their money. Amazing!

So where shall your gaze focus now? THe rich princes of Russia? MOdern day switzerland? Or do you have something else in mind?

canadiancreed said:
So where shall your gaze focus now? THe rich princes of Russia? MOdern day switzerland? Or do you have something else in mind?

Surviving the wrath of a bitter Sterkarm when Poland becomes human-controlled again :) ?

I'm cheering the realm of Norway on, of course. Go Ynglings!

Great update - very epic! How did the rest of Europe fare?

Btw:
The next day, King Håkon ordered that birds of all kinds should be brought to him; and the army therefore captured a great many pigeons, ravens, doves, eagles, and crows, and brought them to King Håkon, who put them in cages, each according to their kind. The next day also, and the third, went by in this manner; and men wondered if grief for the storm-fallen had bent the King's mind. But on the fourth day Håkon ordered that each bird should have a twig tied to its foot, and the twig set afire; and then the birds were released, to fly with the wind over Krakow. In this manner a great many fires were begun within the fortress-city, and hundreds died, for the men dared not leave their posts on the walls, and so only women and children were left to fight the flames. But when the fires burned out, the walls remained strong; and the people of Krakow flocked to their stone-built churches, that stood tall among the ashes, and wept for their homes. But still they did not surrender. For the Poles prize above all things odwaga, which in our tongue means courage.

Is this based on some Viking saga or Scandinavian chronicle, or is it, as I at first presumed, based on Olga of Kievan Rus and the way she destroyed Iskorosten?

I am sure I have read of such a thing in some saga or other, hence my blatant plagiarism. :D But I can't remember where it was - I looked through Olav Tryggvason and Sigurd Jorsalfar, but didn't see it. So if someone would care to jog my memory, I'd be grateful.

Sterk was indeed a touch annoyed at me, and found ingenious means of making his displeasure known. Still, in all fairness, Silesia and Lubusz are really quite well within the Polish sphere of interest. I think we can come to an arrangement with some border adjustments, and perhaps have a slightly more lasting peace in the Baltic. Although, really, I don't know if that's possible : Like the historical Sweden, I really only have one direction to go, and since there's no Russia or Lithuania, I can either stagnate or fight with Poland. I suppose this might change in EU2, when I'll be able to colonise and perhaps come more into conflict with the Atlantic powers.

King of Men said:
I am sure I have read of such a thing in some saga or other, hence my blatant plagiarism. :D But I can't remember where it was - I looked through Olav Tryggvason and Sigurd Jorsalfar, but didn't see it. So if someone would care to jog my memory, I'd be grateful.

Sterk was indeed a touch annoyed at me, and found ingenious means of making his displeasure known. Still, in all fairness, Silesia and Lubusz are really quite well within the Polish sphere of interest. I think we can come to an arrangement with some border adjustments, and perhaps have a slightly more lasting peace in the Baltic. Although, really, I don't know if that's possible : Like the historical Sweden, I really only have one direction to go, and since there's no Russia or Lithuania, I can either stagnate or fight with Poland. I suppose this might change in EU2, when I'll be able to colonise and perhaps come more into conflict with the Atlantic powers.
what about England or whatever the brugandy blog is where the Netherlands would be?

Well, I've already mentioned why I don't care to fight England, and as for Burgundy, we have a modus vivendi that I would not lightly break. It is a highly powerful nation; its current armed neutrality, always teetering on the brink of active support for Poland, is bad enough. I jump through all kinds of diplomatic hoops to keep RP from attacking me. If I attacked him, Sterk would instantly jump all over me.

Fortunately, Sterk is being sufficiently aggressive that I can expand by warlike means without looking like a badboy. :)

Hopefully you will take my suggestions! That way you don't have to worry about where to expand...you have to worry about keeping the country together! Oh and know what I just realized? Poland would be utterly screwd. They are already waning and then with russia in revolt (which is basically 70- 80% of the country as well as in eruope they are barely connected only a very thin province) :D

KoM, you're 2 sessions behind and your readers are waiting eagerly!

Yes, yes, and I also have an oral exam for my PhD thesis next month. Fear not, there will be updates, in the sky, by and by, by and by...

YNGLINGA SAGA

84. ELECTION OF ERLING (1390)

We have told how the Yngling clan had come to rule much of the north-lands, through war, marriage, and luck; and always the kings of Norway had been of that blood, and encouraged the gain of the ætt, as their best support. But in the time of King Håkon some of the Ynglings felt that this old custom was not to their advantage. For they held that an Yngling who had been given land held it of God-given right, and not on the sufferance of the head of the clan; and therefore they wanted the kings of Norway to govern in accordance with the southland custom, that a man should always inherit his father's land, instead of the King assigning his lendmenn as he saw fit.

(OOC : This is my interpretation of the constant requests for 'Feudal Contract', as opposed to my old 'Traditional Custom' that I've had all through the game. Håkon's reign saw five of the cursed things.)

BoyKing.jpg

Not the best king Norway's had, by any means, but not bad at all.

King Håkon had always denied these requests, saying "Our fathers gained rule through all the East-sea under the old law; why should we change what has always served us well?" But on his death there were many Ynglings who said they would not vote for a man who held to the old law. And as the election was closely contested, for there were many strong men who had fought well in Poland and had good claims, soon every candidate promised to change the law upon his election. In the end, the Ting elected Erling Yngling king of Norway; and as he had promised, he changed the law so that all men should be guaranteed their father's possessions.

(OOC : Well, I got two more of that cursed event, two months into the reign... There's a limit to how much badboy I can handle, and I could see I was going to be getting the damn thing every few months until I gave in. Too many direct vassals, alas. And with a lad sitting rather shakily on the throne, well.)

85. DEATH OF SKOFTE (1390)

It has been told how Skofte Yngling, who had gained King Håkon the walls of Krakow, was given wide lands to rule in Silesia. Now Mieszko Piast, who held the kingly power in Poland after the death from heart-break of Sieciech, said with his courtiers, "Here we have a man swearing allegiance to the Norse king, and sitting in our ancestral halls. Surely my namesakes turn in their graves over this insult to our honour." Hearing this, a band of young Piast ættlings and their friends took to horse, and rode apace to Silesia where Skofte ruled. There they ambushed him as he was at his riding lessons. In this wise Krakow was avenged.

Now on hearing this King Erling sent to the Piast, protesting the death of his kinsman. But Mieszko said that he had had no part in the quarrel of Skofte with the young Piasts who had killed him, and offered to pay were-gild for his death. And as Skofte had been ill-liked in Norway - for he was much given to boasting how he had brought the death of Krakow, and that was a deed few Norwegians remembered gladly; and also his lands had gone to his Yngling uncle, who swore allegiance to the king of Spain, and not to Poland; and also because Erling held that Mieszko had a right to rule in his own back yard, the weregild was accepted.

(Well, another war right then would be a little inconvenient. Anyway, that is rather plainly Sterk's sphere of interest, and we agreed on some border adjustments elsewhere, as compensation.)

Europe1393.jpg

Europe in 1393. Note the three yellow counties over the Oder; held by some Yngling Duke in Spain, thanks to Sterk's treacherous and evil little assassins.

86. USTI NAD LABEM

Now the kingdom of Bohemia had after many struggles been restored to its ancient lands; but still there were some who were dissatisfied. Vok von Nordheim hight a man, who wished to be king of Bohemia; thus he raised his standard in rebellion, But the dukes of that land did not follow him, and soon the armies of Bohemia were on his doorstep; then in desperation he turned to King Erling, begging for his life. King Erling agreed, on condition that Vok should become his vassal, and think no further of the throne of Bohemia; then he marched the men of Brandenburg south, and swiftly dispersed the Bohemian armies; in this way peace was restored. But the king of Flanders took displeased note of this, for he held that Norway, as much as Poland, should leave Bohemia alone; of this there will be more to tell later.

VokNordheim.jpg

Not very bright, these AI counts. On the other hand, another vassal is always a good thing, even if it did come fairly close to war with England and Burgundy. On the gripping hand, just how did this guy become Papal Controller? I do think something is seriously out of whack with that algorithm, it appears to be selecting almost at random. As an experiment I tried loading up the save in SP and killing the guy off; it went to a random count in Hungary with 23 piety. When I killed that one, it goes back to the count of Usti nad Labem, a 12-year-old with a big fat zero for piety! Seriously weird, really.

87. DEATH OF KING ERLING (1393)

Now it happened that as Erling was coming of an age to marry, many of the most powerful lords in Norway and the outlands brought their daughters to his court, hoping to catch his eye. In this way the young King had much sport; but as he did not marry any of the young women, finding some fatal flaw in each (OOC : Low stewardship, low intrigue, low martial...) he left many broken hearts in his wake.

There was a woman called Deaghaidh, and she was the daughter of an Irish lordling; for a while King Erling believed that he might marry her, for she was very comely and also clever; but at last he found that her laughter was somewhat too loud and horse-like for his tastes, and he threw her over. Now Deaghaidh had the red hair and fiery temper of the true Irish, and when Erling told her that he would not be marrying her, she flew into a fine rage, and threw pots and pans at the young King, which he laughingly warded off with his hands; for he had the speed of a fine warrior. But at this Deaghaidh's rage grew cold and bitter; that evening as the King slept, she came to his chambers. There she said to the guard that she wished to try one more time to change the King's mind; and as she was well-liked at court for her merry temper and kind words, the guard let her in. Then she killed Erling with her dagger, and then herself.

Because he never married, people called Erling the Boy King. Some say that in death the two lovers were reconciled, and that this love brought Deaghaidh a place in Heaven; others say that Erling regretted the evil that he had done her, and for his sake Hell was cheated of its victim. But the Church is inflexible in its doom, and Deaghaidh was not buried with the king, but outside the graveyard, in an unconsecrated space.

Here ends the saga of Erling Eysteinsson Yngling.

(Damn these assassination events you get under Feudal... That guy was going to be my king for the conversion, curse it!)

88. ELECTION OF INGE

After the death of Erling, Inge duke of Karelen was elected King. He had in his youth been consecrated a priest; but because he impressed King Håkon with his skill at hnefatafl, he was given a lend in Finland, and left the church. He had tended his lendship well, and been given a Jarldom; he was known far and wide for his wisdom and piety, and for this reason the Ynglings elected him; and also because they wanted an elder man to hold the kingdom together after Erling's youth had nearly brought war with England.

PriestKing.jpg

My short-lived king.

Of Inge's kingship there is little to say; he was a peace-loving man, who began no great wars, nor did he chase after women, preferring to cleave to his wife. But God gathers such men soon to his bosom; Sigurd Yngling, who had got the third largest number of votes in the election, soon picked a quarrel with his king, and they fought; and in this fight Sigurd was victorious. But the Ynglings held this a nithing deed, and when next Sigurd stood to be elected King of Norway, even his son placed his vote elsewhere.

Here ends the saga of Inge Vigleiksson Yngling, whom men called the Priest-King.

(Damn those assassination events! And damn this Feudal Contract law!)

SigurdHlynovYngling.jpg

Ladies and gentlemen, for your amazement and awe : A traitorous Yngling who thought he could get the throne by assassination! (Well, not really, I'm just picking him out for a scapegoat.)

89. ELECTION OF FOLKE (1395)

Now Folke Yngling was elected King; he was a stout and handsome fellow, skilled with a sword, but also very clever with words and watchful for danger; it is said that he never drank more than seven cups of mead at a feast, lest he become drunk and careless. Still there were some who were not satisfied; Harald count of Weimar raised his banner in revolt, but as none followed him he was soon in despair. Then he sent to Robert de Flandre, asking to become his vassal, and Robert agreed; but when King Folke nonetheless marched his armies upon Weimar, Robert went back on his sworn word, and sent no men to succour his vassal. Still there were many who felt that Folke had taken a great risk, for Flanders was a powerful kingdom.

FolkeKonge.jpg

Another year, another king. I have no strong feelings about this one, one way or the other. Competent without being dazzling.

WeimarCount.jpg

The traitorous scum who thought he could escape my wrath by becoming RP's vassal.

90. BORDER WARS IN THE WESER-LAND (1398)

Now it happened that Guillaume de Flandre, who held Osnabruck of Robert, was dis-satisfied with the scot Robert demanded; therefore he rebelled, in the hope that others would join him. But it went with him as with Berenguie and Vok before him : None else felt his grievance sharply enough to rebel, and he was soon compelled to seek protection elsewhere. This King Folke gladly gave. But when Robert heard of this, he merely snorted, and said, "He would not respect Our protection of Weimar; yet now he desires that We shall not make war on Osnabruk, for his sake? Truly, the mind of an Yngling is not easy to fathom." And he continued his march as before. But then Folke hit on a new device : He stripped Guillaume of his lands, and took Osnabruck to be a crown-land of Norway; thus Robert could not lawfully seize it, for he was at peace with its owner.

OsnabrukCount.jpg

The splendid young man whose excellent plan of escaping RP's wrath by becoming my vassal was only spoiled by RP's greed.

But at this Robert grew enraged beyond measure, and shouted : "Now it is enough! These Ynglings have pushed us too far; we shall teach them a sharp lesson in courtesy!" And he mustered his armies for war and marched on the Weser-land. Then Folke sent out the war-arrow also, and for a while it seemed that it would come to heavy blows between the two kingdoms; and in that struggle Norway might have had somewhat the worse of it, for Flanders is a rich and mighty land, more powerful even than Poland, which Håkon had had such a struggle to subdue.

KingOfEnvy.jpg

Not to mention that wonderful, glorious king of his. Ye gods, the guy is as good as Olaf Halkjellson, and he isn't even a bastard!

But now as the first armies of each king met before Bremen, king Folke sent to Robert, that he wished to speak of peace before a river of blood was shed; and as Folke had somewhat more men on that field, and also Robert was a peace-loving man, he agreed. And as neither king wished to see men die in their thousands and tens of thousands, they agreed that there would be peace between their two kingdoms, if Robert gave back the city of Hamburg, and Folke returned Osnabruck to Robert. In this wise war was averted; and both kings gained a great name among their people, for saving those thousands who would have died in a war between the kingdoms.

Europe1399.jpg

Europe on the brink of the fifteenth century. Some minor border adjustments on the Weser, a few inheritances in Polish Russia, Hungary grabbing up a few disloyal vassals from Poland (who was AI this session), but nothing really major. Really, as threats to dominate the continent go, Poland is beginning to disappoint. Burgundy and Hungary are looking like much better bets.

Jolly good work! Only one-two sessions until EU2, right?

Btw, what DID eventually happen with "The splendid young man whose excellent plan of escaping RP's wrath by becoming my vassal was only spoiled by RP's greed"?

Thanks for the kind words. :) Yep, just a few weeks until EU2; which is unfortunate, considering how skilled I've become at finding, um, fortunate marriages.

The splendid young man : He revolted against RP. I offered him vassalisation, which he accepted. RP refused to back off my new vassal in spite of my outraged protests (that I had previously refused to peace his new, formerly-mine, vassal in Weimar is completely irrelevant.) I therefore revoked his title, so his land became mine. What happened to him then, I don't know. Gone where the woodbine twineth, I suppose. Or perhaps he ended up in my court, where all the Yngling males would no doubt mock him as representing an enemy dynasty, and a weakling example of it, at that.

King of Men said:
Thanks for the kind words. :) Yep, just a few weeks until EU2; which is unfortunate, considering how skilled I've become at finding, um, fortunate marriages.

The splendid young man : He revolted against RP. I offered him vassalisation, which he accepted. RP refused to back off my new vassal in spite of my outraged protests (that I had previously refused to peace his new, formerly-mine, vassal in Weimar is completely irrelevant.) I therefore revoked his title, so his land became mine. What happened to him then, I don't know. Gone where the woodbine twineth, I suppose. Or perhaps he ended up in my court, where all the Yngling males would no doubt mock him as representing an enemy dynasty, and a weakling example of it, at that.

Bah.. Revoked counts aways end up in that hinterland (you know, the pink shield land of doom). Alive but unable to interact, outside of potentially having kids...

Bah.. Revoked counts aways end up in that hinterland (you know, the pink shield land of doom). Alive but unable to interact, outside of potentially having kids...
They soon join some court anyway - either a relative or current holder of their former land.