• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I Should Have Mentioned...

...my one peeve so far with this excellent mod is the fact that all your settings -- sound, messages, etc. -- aren't saved. Whazzup with that? :(

Jeff

Panther II said:
That's a mod-dir issue. You should make your favorite settings, then copy

...\Hearts of Iron 2\config.eu

to

...\Hearts of Iron 2\HIP\

and it will work. I will put this in the next "Install.txt". v0.17 is out.

Oh... cool... that will help.

Thanx! :)

Jeff

I don't know if this is a HIP issue or a HOI issue in general, but I can't get the paratroops or rather their planes to make a paradrop mission. Is there a trick to it? I load 'em in transports, click on 'mission' and then the only option is 'nothing'?

natural resources US

Trying US 1936 check your coal and oil my coal started out -38 to -36 one natural resource the US had in abundance was coal and oil was right behind that. the game shows +34 on oil I checked several states Texas had 27 oil Calif. 8 oil Oklahoma 4 oil Louisana 4 oil I don't know how many barrels one oil equals, but it's way to low. Also check southern Illinois; Dectur, East St. Louis has oil now and back then. I saw your factory increase in july 36 nice.2 footnotes 36' income tax was passed generated a lot of revenue. Growth in nation 36' 14.1%; 37' 7.4% recession hit in 37 went to 38'; 5.0% 38' 5.4% 39";if I remenber right. I have it coyped down. Question about engery I under stand it's based on coal. But what about hydro electric a number of nations that was a reality. Thinking Hoover Dam. The thing again about Democracy pryor to war still over 96%+ of their ecomony, was used in none defence spending. With CORE they cut man power back .01 or less an it worked great! :rolleyes: I got to give it a try. You are raelly doing a good job on your mode. One thought I did have reduce you manpower to single digit figure you can do that by what was the historic building into 39' if need to be. But if you get your manpower down to 9 or less an have a .01 a month growth as a democacy you can't build big till events trigger growth :rolleyes:

First of the resources are reduced by the peace_ic modifier, once until at war, the US will have about 2000 energy per day. Your are right, the US does not get a huge increase in peace_ic_mod and so might get problems. Actually I don't like this new v1.2 feature to limit resource output. I will try to come to a solution. On the other hand, does this nicely limit the possibilities of the USA at peace.

Hydro power is not in the mod, because I could not get numbers on it. So energy is only pit and brown coal. Only located in places, where really coal was mined - there is no virtual/fudged coal.

I will also think, about the manpower for the US, but they should not do that much until the selective service act. In the next version, the US will get 1% manpower growth (0.01) and 10 starting manpower.

Do you have numbers on how much the US spent on military relative to its GDP for 1936 to 1944 or longer?
My aim is to let the wartime available IC represent about 55% of GDP spent on military. At peace, I try to screw them down accordingly. Italy gets a penalty, because it did not spend that much and, as far as I know never reached those levels. Germany in 1943 and 1944 gets a bonus (15%), because it has spent even more. Pacifistic nations like Denmark can also be reduced in IC.

Last edited:
Panther II said:
First of the resources are reduced by the peace_ic modifier, once until at war, the US will have about 2000 energy per day. Your are right, the US does not get a huge increase in peace_ic_mod and so might get problems. Actually I don't like this new v1.2 feature to limit resource output. I will try to come to a solution. On the other hand, does this nicely limit the possibilities of the USA at peace.]

That explanes things.

[Hydro power is not in the mod, because I could not get numbers on it. So energy is only pit and brown coal. Only located in places, where really coal was mined - there is no virtual/fudged coal.]

I've copyed several documents on different dam's I'll put a post in several days. hopefully it might be helpful.

[Do you have numbers on how much the US spent on military relative to its GDP for 1936 to 1944 or longer?
My aim is to let the wartime available IC represent about 45% of GDP spent on military. At peace, I try to screw them down accordingly. Italy gets a penalty, because it did not spend that much and, as far as I know never reached those levels. Germany in 1943 and 1944 gets a bonus (15%), because it has spent even more. Pacifistic nations like Denmark can also be reduced in IC.
]

I did run across govt papers it had some very detailed overview in 1938, 1939, 1940 I'll track that down again send it to you. I got one on the British it's very good overveiw spending. I'll have to have my son copy an paste for a post I'll get that to you.

Excellent.

On hydro power, if I remember this correct, was the US using 86% of its mined coal to produce electricity. The problem is, that hydro power can only be added for all countries or for none and would require to reduce coal.

Last edited:
· Top tax rate raised to 79 percent.
· Economic recovery continues: GNP grows a record 14.1 percent; unemployment falls to 16.9 percent.
· The Supreme Court declares the National Labor Relations Board to be unconstitutional.
· Roosevelt seeks to enlarge and therefore liberalize the Supreme Court. This attempt not only fails, but outrages the public.
· Economists attribute economic growth so far to heavy government spending that is somewhat deficit. Roosevelt, however, fears an unbalanced budget and cuts spending for 1937. That summer, the nation plunges into another recession. Despite this, the yearly GNP rises 5.0 percent, and unemployment falls to 14.3 percent.
· No major New Deal legislation is passed after this date, due to Roosevelt's weakened political power.
· The year-long recession makes itself felt: the GNP falls 4.5 percent, and unemployment rises to 19.0 percent.
· The United States will begin emerging from the Depression as it borrows and spends $1 billion to build its armed forces. From 1939 to 1941, when the Japanese attack Pearl Harbor, U.S. manufacturing will have shot up a phenomenal 50 percent!
· The Depression is ending worldwide as nations prepare for the coming hostilities.
Roosevelt began relatively modest deficit spending that arrested the slide of the economy and resulted in some astonishing growth numbers. (Roosevelt's average growth of 5.2 percent during the Great Depression is even higher than Reagan's 3.7 percent growth during his so-called 'Seven Fat Years!') When 1936 saw a phenomenal record of 14 percent growth, Roosevelt eased back on the deficit spending, worried about balancing the budget. But this only caused the economy to slip back into a recession in 1938.
· World War II starts with Hitler's invasion of Poland.
How it Works, and it's Benefits
With a height of 726 feet and a crest length of 1244 feet, Hoover Dam’s 17 generators pull water from Lake Mead at the top of the dam. The water is drawn through intake towers and flows through penstocks to the power plant. These penstocks can also be used to drain water from the reservoir in the event of a flood to the river below the dam. The power plant at Hoover Dam can generate more than 4 billion kilowatt hours a year. Until 1949, the Hoover Power plant was the world’s largest hydroelectric installation. With an installed capacity of 2,080 megawatts, it is still one of the countries largest.
Norris:Facts & Figures
Construction of Norris Dam began in 1933, just a few months after the creation of TVA, and was completed in 1936.
Norris provides 809 miles of shoreline and 33,840 acres of water surface. It is the largest reservoir on a tributary of the Tennessee River.
The recreational use of Norris Reservoir exceeds that of any other tributary reservoir in the TVA river system.
Norris Dam is 265 feet high and stretches 1,860 feet across the Clinch River.
The town of Norris, built to house workers on the dam, was a planned community that became a model for others throughout the nation. It was sold to private owners in 1948.
The water level in Norris Reservoir varies about 23 feet in a normal year.
Norris has a flood-storage capacity of 1,112,982 acre-feet.
The nameplate generating capacity of Norris is 131,400 kilowatts of electricity.
If the hydro works ok if it doesn't I'm not lossing sleep over it.
Here is a few of the links hope their helpful

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/UN/UK/UK-Civil-WarProduction/UK-Civil-WarProduction-2.html
This was the one I refered to about the British has a good overveiw

http://www.onwar.com/articles/f0302.htm
on a goggle search I found this one today

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/BigL/BigL-3.html
a lot of info some is of no use for the game but some are helpful

http://www.applet-magic.com/depression.htm
the bottom graf might be of help

I still look for those US govt. paper from 1938 on it was a very good a lot of info.

Wow, quite comprehensive. But don't be sorry, if hydro power will stay out. It looks quite impossible to me to get the information for all countries in the world at that time.

For Germany I have done some calculations for the war expenditure, I can't say how precise that is

1935 7%
1936 12%
1937 ?
1938 15.8%
1939 15.9%
1940 34.8% ->ex tribute about 23%
1941 48.2% ->ex tribute about 32%
1942 62.4% ->ex tribute about 42%
1943 71.9% ->ex tribute about 48%
1944 80.9% ->ex tribute about 54%

in percent of GDP. This is exactly, what I would need for the major countries.

The site with the GDP figures seems to have about 20% lower USA GDP numbers than Maddison. I assume, that this is due to different factors to calculate from the 1936 period to 1990 USD.

Last edited:
Don't know if this is any help

Armaments Production of the Powers 1940-3

BILLIONS OF 1944 DOLLARS
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

##########1940#######1941#######1943
GBR...............3.5................6.5................11.1
USSR.............5.0................8.5................13.9
USA...............1.5................4.5................37.5

GER...............6.0................6.0................13.8
JAP...............1.0.................2.0................4.5
ITA...............0.75...............1.0.................0.0

Your Servant

SirCliveWolfe

Panther II said:
The site with the GDP figures seems to have about 20% lower USA GDP numbers than Maddison. I assume, that this is due to different factors to calculate from the 1936 period to 1990 USD.

Yes, when the US switched to a 'hedonic deflator' (which attempts to capture improvements in quality) it raised the reported growth rates by around 0.4% a year, making long-term comparisons between US growth rates and those of other countries fraught with difficulties.

SirCliveWolfe,

thanks, I can draw some indirect conclusions from that. It confirms my opinion, that the US should be extremely screwed down while they are at peace. The Japanese war effort seems to be below their possibilities.

El freako,

unfortunately, Maddison numbers are the best, I have right now. But I am aware, that there are huge differences from various sources. Especially on Poland, Soviet Union or Czechoslovakia.

Last edited:
Sir

It is interesting that you say that the US should be 'screwed down' while at peace. While i agree I have found some stats that from 1930 to 1938 the US spent more dollars on defence expenditure than some of the main beligerants (France, Japan,Italy etc...).

Also a quote from a book i'm reading

seen in this comparative light, the Italian problem becomes clearer. It had not been a great spender on armamnets in absolute terms during the first half of the 1930s, although even then it needed to devote a higher proportion of its national income to the armed services than probably all other states except the USSR. But the extended Abyssinian campaign, overlapped by the intervention in Spain, led to greatly increased expenditures between 1935 and 1937. Thus part of Italian defense spending in those years was devoted to current operations, and not the buildip of the services or the armaments industry

This means that even though Italy was spending more on armaments upto 1940 it was actually getting weaker. It would be nice if this demise of italy could somehow make it into a mod such as yours.

This also means that just because country A spends more on armaments than country B that does not mean that A will be in a better position.

sorry to ramble, and I don't know how helpful any of this is but my two cents.

I have some stats on aircraft & tank production as well if you want them.

Your faithful servant

Sir Clive

* The Rise And Fall of the Great Powers - Paul Kennedy.

In HIP the nations get, as precise, as possible, IC, that refects GDP. So e.g Germany's 1940 base IC (for the starting provinces) multiplied by 2 is exactly their 1940 GDP calculated in 1990 USD (Maddison).
With screwed down, I mean they get a lower peace_ic_mod, that does not mean, that they spend less money than others (have less IC available). The US has the biggest IC and will go much higher than in vanilla HOI2 (about 750 base IC in 1943!). But what IRL did not happen and will not happen in HIP, is the USA being able to create a large attack force at peace and go immediately after Pearl Harbour on the offense with land forces.

Here are some GDP numbers
http://hoi2.nsen.ch/wiki/index.php/GDP_statistics

USA spending 2% of GDP in 1939!

If you want, you can look through the lend lease in "...\events\Timer.txt" and tell me, if L-L from the US to Britain is appropriate or too much. Each event can fire up to 4 times a year. They will probably have to be toned down a bit.
In general I would be very interested to get numbers on the material from the US to Britain (how many tanks, ships, etc.). I have numbers on USA -> Soviet Union.

Last edited:
This is really exciting. I won't be home and able to try it until Friday. Count on me for a report. I am very impressed by the workmanlike nature of the change log, and the substantive changes - the ones I can understand - make sense. Oh boy !

I found 1.01 vanilla to be fun but too static: there were optimal strategies for the major countries, and, once found, a lot of fun went away. 1.02 is better, and so is Stony Road. My dream mod will give me new choices and more complex and less predictable ramifications so that reply value is increased. With 1.02 vanilla, there is still often a "best strategy in almost all cases" for specific events, sequences and decisions.

Here's hoping. In any case, thanks in advance for all the work you have invested.

possible bug in 18v

Playing HOI2 1.2v HIP.18v russia very,very, very, nice I like what you did in combat last a lot longer more experance.What I have is I researched light tank 1939 [BT-7] and the medium tank 1939 [BT-7M]is still grayed out. What I did install the 18v over 17v;. instead of unstall and reinstall every thing I hate to start all over again.

found two more links hope their helpful

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/COS-Biennial/index.html

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/BigL/BigL-1.html

The sites are oustanding, especially the second one. it will help me to make the new gear up system (v0.18_1) more precise.

You have probably missed this here

v0.17
-Medium Tank '39 now requires Prod. control and Planning
-Medium Tank '41 now requires Assembly Line Experimentation
-Medium Tank '43 now requires Vehicle Assembly Line

Last edited:
It would help so much if we had rollover capability for the techbuttons. So we could explain cross-category dependencies and so on.