• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Great mod. First time i have ever found it hard to beat france took me nearly 3 months longer and there was British units in France which i never normally see.

Damage to US Fleet Pearl Harbor

I did some checking on numbers percentage of damage
Okahoma 95%[ sunk had to be refloted that's why I put so high.]
Arizona lost
West Virginia 95%
Califorinia 95%
Detroit 05%
Pennsylvania 50%
Tennessee 95%
Raiiliegh 50%
Honolulu 05%
Helena 50%

v36
Having trouble finding the Cavalry techs on the Army I (Infantry) and Army II (Armor) Tech Screens...Is there a change coming?

EDIT: Removed Pics for faster loading

Last edited:
First of all you haven't installed the Graphics package. I think you can see that, since the backgrounds of the tech trees are wrong.
The Cavalry techs are now included in the Infantry techs, so if you research infantry, you automatically research Cavalry. We did that since weapons and equipment change, horses and men do not. We also did that so we could add some other technologies.
About the graphical aspect, you better reinstall the graphics of the latest version to get the correct backgrounds for your tech trees.

KeldorKatarn said:
First of all you haven't installed the Graphics package. I think you can see that, since the backgrounds of the tech trees are wrong.
The Cavalry techs are now included in the Infantry techs, so if you research infantry, you automatically research Cavalry. We did that since weapons and equipment change, horses and men do not. We also did that so we could add some other technologies.
About the graphical aspect, you better reinstall the graphics of the latest version to get the correct backgrounds for your tech trees.
I saw the Cav a just a little while ago.. Thanks
I installed the V36 Graphics but somehow they didn't overwrite. Found it now.
Great work Gentlemen.

There will be two versions both for v1.3b. The rar files work along the old system and you just have to unpack. KeldorKatarn will also provide an installer version, that uses a different path and takes a bit longer to install.

Last edited:
Panther II said:
HIP v0.37 is out.

There will be two versions both for v1.3b. The rar files work along the old system and you just have to unpack. KeldorKatarn will also provide an installer version, that uses a different path and takes a bit longer to install.

Guys, you're doing an awesome quality work. :eek:

Downloading immediately. :p

Here the installation instructions for the installer version of HIP v0.37
(they will also be displayed in the Setup itself)

Install instructions (Windows XP):

Start HIP.exe and use the Hearts of Iron 2 path,

e.g. "C:\Program files\Paradox Interactive\Hearts of Iron 2\"

as installation path. The installer will create a new folder inside that directory, called \HIP\ and install the

MOD there. It will also automatically create a news desktop shortcut for the MOD called 'Hearts of Iron 2 - HIP'.

You no longer need to create a copy of your Heart of Iron 2 installation before installing the MOD.

The Setup does copy all needed Vanilla files automatically to the new directory. This process does take some time but will only be necessary
the first time you use an installer for HIP. In the future the installers of
patches and fullversions will only copy files which are not there yet, so
don't change the directory which the installer creates for HIP.

If you already have a directory with a copy of HoI2, we recommend you delete it before installing v0.37. Don't copy that directory as a /HIP/ Folder
into your Hearts of Iron 2 folder.
The installer will only copy the files that are needed. Files from vanilla which are not needed or would display not functional scenarios in your game are not copied. If you do the copy by hand though, the installer doesn't see those and doesn't remove them either. So you gain no time, but may copy unnecessary files. So just let the installer do that work for you.

I'd also like to know if you have any problems with this installer or if you prefer the old zip-Format over an installer, so please write us here which format you like better and if you ran into any problems during the installation.

The installer is online now!

KeldorKatarn

Last edited:
rwglaub said:
When I run the installer, I'm getting an error Fail_Hitler_Assassination.gmp cannot be opened, which aborts the installation.

- Does this happen while the status bar says "Copying Vanilla files" or "Copying files"?
- Which directory did you tell HIP to install in?

Is the file called Fail_Hiller_Assassination.bmp or Fail_Hitler_Assassination.bmp?

There should also be a INSTALL.LOG in your \HIP\ directory.
Please send me the text in that file as a private message.

Oh and please, since this is kinda the first version of this type I need information form you.
Please post if you run into problems using the installer and also post if the installer works fine for you, so I see if the problems reported are user specific or general problems.

Thank you

Last edited:
That should normally be no problem since the vanilla file actually is called by that (wrong spelled) name.
Anyway. I uploaded another version of the installer ending in "-Testversion"

I think that one should fix your problem since it only copies the Vanilla files without checking for their filename. It might be that some mod or you yourself renamed that file so the installer didn't find the filename it expected.

Please try out the new version, if it works I'll take the other one offline and leave that one there.

You'll notice that the status bar isn't updated in that version while it copies Vanilla files, that's normal. The status bar will start moving as soon as the Setup starts installing the HIP files.

As I said, please tell me if that version works for you.

Sorry for this inconvenience, I didn't expect this could happen.

rwglaub said:
It works! Thanks for the fix.

Alright. Since the fix works, I'll take the bugged version offline.
By the way, I served 5 years in the German Air Force ;) (Saw your webpage)
Left with rank of 2nd Lt.
Always nice to meet Air Force comrades around the world ;)

rook749 said:
I ran into the same error.

Rook

Please do also download the new version (It's the only file online now, it now has the same filename as the previous one, so simply download it again. )

Again sorry for the inconvenience.
I don't know how this happened, I tried it on a fresh installation here at home. Maybe the German installation has one file that is named differently, I don't know. Anyway.. with the new version it should work fine.

If you run into any more problems, don't hesitate to contact me here or via PM.

Last edited:
Soviet Union in 0.37

Gentlemen, congratulations and thanks for putting together a great mod, giving the best play of HOI2 yet.

In earlier posts in this thread, it was mentioned that improving Soviet AI performance was going to be priority for future patches (this was circa 0.31 or so) I have played HIP five times, and each time, without fail, the German AI has destroyed the Soviet AI and forced the bitter peace by mid 42 at the latest. Since I normally play as UK or US, this really has the effect of basically ruining the game, since Germany becomes way too powerful to defeat, with a lead in technology (especially since US and UK cannot develop jets) and nearly the equal of the US in IC.

Any plans or ideas to address this situation? I can see Germany defeating the SU occassionally, but 100% of the time is tough to swallow, and mars an otherwise excellent mod.