• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The GoMilton site seems to be down currently. Thanks JRShield.

Zakouski, quote from "install.txt"

HIP uses the moddir, but two original Paradox files will be overwritten in the ai folder.

default.ai
minor_default.ai

the HIP files should work fine with v1.2, if you want the original files make a copy. HIP should also work with the original files.

But those files will only be used for in game created countries, that do not have their own ai file. It is unlikely, that they will influence Japan.

Last edited:
Panther II said:
1. The "base.txt" file will give a lot of numbers, which HIP uses. DD and SS flotillas both 5.

A. What if I change the number 5 to 1 ?

3. Bitmap, see ..Hearts of Iron 2\GFX\Interface\models\. The same size and resolution. For now you could name them

ill_div_den_BC_1

stands for Denmark, battlecruiser, model 1. But if you know the right number, you can already replace "BC" by the HOI2 number.

B. Thanks it's working great with the pictures.

4. Fine

C. Where can I change the name of a unit type or ship class ?

Great MOD!

Have tried playing this mod... It's great!!! :) :) :)

Much more realistic than HOI2 vanilla!

IRL Poland had quite a lot of CAV, can't remember how many of their real-life DIV's in '39 were CAV. I didn't notish any when playing GER and attacking in Sept '39?

Always a nice to hear that.

The Polish army strength is quite historical, although the number of divisions is smaller, in exchange for that do all divs have FULL strength. IRL the Polish divs were understrength or did not have 15,000 men per division.
Poland gets 2 cav divs in the mobilization events, I don't know, if they had more than 27,000 men cavalry. rybka gave some numbers on page 11 of this thread

http://www.europa-universalis.com/forum/showthread.php?t=193527&page=11&pp=25

basically saying, that Poland had

38 inf
3 mountain
2 cavalry divisions

Poland is easy for the human player, because IRL it was no challenge and I don't want to make them artificially strong. Germany should loose some division strength and planes, nothing compared to Fall Gelb.

Last edited:
Supply use in HOI2

I was thinking about the supply use of the troops, and I reached this conclusion :

HIP goes in the right direction on that issue, but fighting troops should use a lot more supply than it actually does. Maybe 2 or even 3 times more.

That would bring :
- longer time to prepare offensives, because of stockpile preparation (more historical);
- less troop building, and more thinking ;
- less "world conquer" strategies and more focus on what is important ;

I propose that nations have some supply modifiers (as HIP already does I think) :
- US troops should use a lot more supplies than others, maybe 50% more (very big US logistic);
- UK should have a + 20% usage (slow and painful logistic);
- Japanese should use less than average, maybe 30% less.

I'm not sure about Germany and USSR.

- The "out of supply" modifier should be raised to at least -50% combat efficiency, and if possible, out of supply troops should not be able to attack.

The bad points I can imagine :

- I'm not sure the AI can manage the supply well. It already attacks without supply in many cases, and it does not handle the economy well enough ;
- I fear small countries would have a big problem, not stockpiling enough (but it is quite historical), but we could give them some use modifiers.

What is you opinion on that ?

Zakouski said:
HIP goes in the right direction on that issue, but fighting troops should use a lot more supply than it actually does. Maybe 2 or even 3 times more.
Yes and no. I doubt, that currently more can be done than HIP does. You have to consider, that HIP has for inf e.g. almost the same SC, while build cost is far lower. So maintenance is far more expensive relative to build cost. And HIP raises the SC at war significantly for majors and several important countries. The big problem to go even further would be to differentiate between front line troops in combat and reserve troops in the rear with zero ammunition usage. Currently SC has to be a compromise for both cases. The best solution would be to raise SC by a certain factor during combat, but Paradox has to do that.
Zakouski said:
I propose that nations have some supply modifiers (as HIP already does I think) :
- US troops should use a lot more supplies than others, maybe 50% more (very big US logistic);
- UK should have a + 20% usage (slow and painful logistic);
- Japanese should use less than average, maybe 30% less.

I'm not sure about Germany and USSR.
Already there, see "Growth.txt" and "Supply Consumption.txt". Germany gets nothing, because it is the 100% reference, all others are relative to Germany based on per capita GDP difference (66% of it).
Zakouski said:
- The "out of supply" modifier should be raised to at least -50% combat efficiency, and if possible, out of supply troops should not be able to attack.
I have to keep an eye on that, but you have to consider, that they can be rescued (Waldai hights - 100.000 German troops were cut off, then supplied via air and later rescued). And such troops get additional penalties, that in vanilla would reduce their combat power to 1%. HIP has deliberately changed that, so that this point is not so easily reached. If a unit is cut off for 1 day, shouldn't they still have supplies and ammunition to fight? Think about how long the 6th Army in Stalingrad held out.
Zakouski said:
The bad points I can imagine :

- I'm not sure the AI can manage the supply well. It already attacks without supply in many cases, and it does not handle the economy well enough ;
Preparing for offensive is a desaster for the AI, currently we can do nothing about that. What is wrong with the economy?
Zakouski said:
- I fear small countries would have a big problem, not stockpiling enough (but it is quite historical), but we could give them some use modifiers.
I have not seen for a long time now any country melting down and suffering from resource shortages.

Last edited:
Panther II said:
The big problem to go even further would be to differentiate between front line troops in combat and reserve troops in the rear with zero ammunition usage. Currently SC has to be a compromise for both cases. The best solution would be to raise SC by a certain factor during combat, but Paradox has to do that.

Ok, I understand the problem. I though it was possible to mod the SC factor during combat. But I still feel it is not historical to have the possibility to conduct many major offensives at the same time, unless you have stockpiled a lot of supplies.

Already there, see "Growth.txt" and "Supply Consumption.txt". Germany gets nothing, because it is the 100% reference, all others are relative to Germany based on per capita GDP difference (66% of it).

Ok, great.

...troops get additional penalties, that in vanilla would reduce their combat power to 1%. HIP has deliberately changed that, so that this point is not so easily reached. If a unit is cut off for 1 day, shouldn't they still have supplies and ammunition to fight? Think about how long the 6th Army in Stalingrad held out.

I see your point. It is true that during big encirclements in HOI2, there no "pocket of supply" left for the troops.

What is wrong with the economy?

The economy is really improved in HIP, I have no problem with that. It just bugs me to see NatChina (for example) making offensives without supply. Nothing to do with your economy model.

Last edited:
Japan, total joy

I'm actually playing a HIP game as Japan, normal/normal. And it's the best HOI2 game I ever played :cool:

I'm actually in june 41; some infos to explain :

- the weak military economy of japan during the war in China makes the fight really challenging : I always had to choose what to build first (ground units, planes ? or should I build some ships which will be so usefull against UK/USA later ? OMG I don't have enough supplies...etc etc ) ;

- when I finally broke the defenses of Natchina (1939), they offered me a good peace deal (all the coast zones, and some more) ; I choose Yes to heal my economy, stockpile supplies, improve units...

- When Vichy appeared, I tried to get Madagascar as well as Indochina, and was rejected; and Vichy has his independence garanteed by Germany, so no interest to Dow them ;

- I Dowed Holland in 1940, supposing that USA will let me alone. Big Mistake. I was Dowed by the UK Alliance (logical), and USA, and Natchina. Oooops. Lot of enemies to deal with at the same time.

Actually, Natchina made me another peace offer after being beaten in some fights, and I took it again, with more territories in China.

At the time present, Siam is an ally, Singapore, Hong Kong, Philippines, and Indonesia, and a good chunk of China are mine BUT :

- I've lost 11 transports while making invasions ;
- Lost 2 carriers ;
- 3 or 4 CA ;
- 5 CL;
- some DD.

I still have 4 Cv's floating, but 2 under reparations.

The US and UK navies outnumbers me by a ratio of 4:1.

Technologically, I'm being overhauled because of my poor tech teams.

I have quite few planes (8 tac, 3 CAS, 6 fighters).

The Italian and German navies, including Subs, have been eradicated. (There is not a single german sub alive, quite strange in 1941 :confused: )

I've benn fighting some real AI fleets, with 10-14 ships in them, including CV's or BB, and even by winning a lot of fights, the attrition plays against me (the US economy alone is double than mine).

I really hope to see USA growing and becoming a serious menace to me.

So now, I want to say THANK YOU for making me enjoy HOI2 again, and having many hours of pure fun. :)

Zakouski said:
- the weak military economy of japan during the war in China makes the fight really challenging : I always had to choose what to build first (ground units, planes ? or should I build some ships which will be so usefull against UK/USA later ? OMG I don't have enough supplies...etc etc ) ;
Excellent, it is due to low military budgets at that time. Japan did not take the war for serious until 1944. They were driving on a very low gear. Don't use the "offensive" button, this will hurt your supplies too much.
Zakouski said:
- When Vichy appeared, I tried to get Madagascar as well as Indochina, and was rejected; and Vichy has his independence garanteed by Germany, so no interest to Dow them ;
This series is improved in v0.28, you can demand Indochina and Madagascar and then it is not all or nothing, but you might also end up with just Indochina.
Zakouski said:
- I Dowed Holland in 1940, supposing that USA will let me alone. Big Mistake. I was Dowed by the UK Alliance (logical), and USA, and Natchina. Oooops. Lot of enemies to deal with at the same time.
I usually annex all of China in mid 1939 and wait as long, as possible to dow the US. The bear should sleep at least until Spring 1941 or longer and even then you will face nearly the complete UK, French and US fleets.
Zakouski said:
- I've lost 11 transports while making invasions ;
- Lost 2 carriers ;
- 3 or 4 CA ;
- 5 CL;
- some DD.

I still have 4 Cv's floating, but 2 under reparations.

The US and UK navies outnumbers me by a ratio of 4:1.
Sounds like an exciting game.
Zakouski said:
Technologically, I'm being overhauled because of my poor tech teams.
Focus on land doctrines and infantry during China. And then in preparation for the Pacific War on naval doctrines and you can have decent techs. And never research ahead of time as Japan.
Zakouski said:
The Italian and German navies, including Subs, have been eradicated. (There is not a single german sub alive, quite strange in 1941
This is due to the AI stupidness, the German navy at least survives until Fall Gelb. In my last game, I have even seen the Bismarck and Tirpitz in mid 1943. For Italy I try to make their fleet hide in port, but the AI has its own mind and does not follow the instructions.
Zakouski said:
I've benn fighting some real AI fleets, with 10-14 ships in them, including CV's or BB, and even by winning a lot of fights, the attrition plays against me (the US economy alone is double than mine).
Japan was the "underdog" and never thought of winning against the US. Their aim was a stalemate and a peace, that allowed them to keep their Chinese and Asian conquests.
Zakouski said:
I really hope to see USA growing and becoming a serious menace to me.
The US build shemes need some further work, US AI wastes a lot of IC currently and needs further refinement. Their land and air forces should grow faster.

Last edited:
Big Problem V28

Just downloaded v28 twice; When I go to start 36' game it says it can't read any of the "ai\of any country.ai" than missing event data base again every country the earlist HIP file I kept 21V through 27V played ok. Well I wanted to take a break from the game for a time, got very fustrated over those interceptors and esccorts that had no ground attack value :confused: I understand its more a Paradox issue. In so many ways HOI2 is improved over HOI but some very basic things are missed. Well was 20V the last full download dont have any more. Well untill I can get a download I'll be all dressed an no were to go :wacko:

jackson63ii,

you have reinstalled HOI2 v1.2? v0.28 installation is different (see instructions).

You don't need the old files, just the two available ones on the server.
jackson63ii said:
..got very fustrated over those interceptors and esccorts that had no ground attack
I am no longer sure, that giving them significant attack values is a good idea, because province AA does not target them and this could be used as an exploit.

Last edited:
Just got this mod this morning. I'm in 1942 as Japan and I'm having a blast. Just wish I had more of my IC available to me...

Thanks for the great mod!

Panther II said:
jackson63ii,

you have reinstalled HOI2 v1.2? v0.28 installation is different (see instructions).

You don't need the old files, just the two available ones on the server.
I am no longer sure, that giving them significant attack values is a good idea, because province AA does not target them and this could be used as an exploit.

I see that when I look at the scenario listing, all of them show up, not just the GC. I also see that naval aircraft are back along with their naval missions. Everything looks to be working fine. I just wish that all units could start the game upgraded, rather than have to do that in the beginning.

Only the 1936 scenario works, I hope to get the 1944 campaign running in the near future.

Upgrade cost is way higher in HIP, but that is desired. Armor, "brigades" and air units (rocket and turbojet fighters are an exception) are not worth two upgrades, so if you need 2 upgrades or more scrapping and rebuilding them is cheaper (see also "_notes.txt"). The starting units were not so good and you should pay to get them better.

Last edited:
I just recently downloaded this mod and it's great! :) I like the realistic feeling during gameplay. Perhaps the best thing in the mod is that most provinces have airbases - building airbases to finish them at a precise time was killing me in vanilla.

I have one question about the USSR AI. In my current game (I'm playing as Germany) it's June 10, 1941, and I'm preparing an invasion of Russia. So I'd like to hear from experienced players how does the Soviet AI perform? I hope it's better and more realistic than in vanilla...

The Soviet AI was improved, they will put more troops in the South and the org disadvantage versus Germany is much smaller. Also do they have much cheaper units than Germany, but to make use of that, they must survive. Mobilization events give them more than 100 infantry divisions in 8 waves. And other events help them to supply Leningrad or relocate the encircled capital. Lend-lease is also a huge help for them.