• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(12544)

General
Dec 9, 2002
Visit site
Historical Improvement Project (HIP)

Historical Improvement Project

Paradox Entertainment has the copyright on Hearts of Iron 2 Doomsday.
A large part of the events is based upon the original Paradox events, written by Henrik Fåhraeus. The AI file are based upon the original files, written by Lothos.
This MOD is available to everyone, who owns an original of the game.
I am not responsible for any damage caused by this MOD.

HIP Team:
Team-Head
-Loki134 naval tech, events, play testing
Team:
-KeldorKatarn armor techs, events, Graphic work, German translation
-Alekpier608 US OoB work

Team-Head (ret.)
-Panther G (founder)

About HIP:
This MOD is designed to make HOI2 more historical and provide a better simulation.
Not for early conquer the world strategies.
Many events are designed to use the treaty of Munich as the earliest start of the war.
It is designed for Doomsday, the 1936 and 1942 campaign and patch v1.2 (English version) and will NOT work for other Paradox campaigns or scenarios.

Historical Improvement Project Forum
http://www.europa-universalis.com/forum/showthread.php?t=193527

DOWNLOAD the latest version of HIP
http://hip.moddir.net/Doomsday/

DONATION:
Panther G closed the PAYPAL . if anybody wants to donate something , so tell me.
then i create a new account.

1. General informations

1.1. Install instructions (Windows XP):

Use windows explorer to copy the folder
"C:\Program files\Paradox Interactive\Doomsday\"

into the same directory, so you have
"C:\Program files\Paradox Interactive\Copy of Doomsday\"

rename this folder to
"C:\Program files\Paradox Interactive\Doomsday HIP\"

Delete the following directories will all contents:
"C:\Program files\Paradox Interactive\Doomsday HIP\ai\"
"C:\Program files\Paradox Interactive\Doomsday HIP\db\events\"

Delete everything in
"C:\Program files\Paradox Interactive\Doomsday HIP\scenarios\
except for the subdirectories ..\data\ and ..\save games\

1.2. Install sequence:
1) HIP v0.74.7z
2) HIP v0.75.7z

Extract all files into your \Doomsday HIP\ directory overwriting all present files.
Recommendations:

-Finish old games before installing a newer version of the MOD, see bugfix hints, if you have problems and want to play on

-Save the game often, pre war every 3 months and after the war starts every 10-20 days is a good choice, there might be ctds

-Under "Message Settings" change under "Diplomacy" "When a nation annexes another nations" and "When a new nation is created" so, that there will be no message box

Feedback, bug reports, suggestions at Paradox forum:
http://www.europa-universalis.com/forum/showthread.php?t=193527
If you do not use sprites, you can follow those instructions (by Phil K)

1) Backup the following folder: GFX/map/units
This is the sprites subdirectory, and it contains another subdirectory (bmp) - include that also in the backup.
Use a ZIP or RAR utility to backup that entire folder.

2) Now select one .spr file in the units folder and keep it. Delete all of the rest (better have
that backup made, holmes).

3) Go into the subfolder GFX/map/units/bmp. Find the matching bmp file for that .spr file you just saved. Keep it and delete all the rest.

So all in all you should have:
GFX/map/units = something.spr + no other files
GFX/map/units/bmp = something.bmp + no other files

If you do not want to see the intro video, rename the ...\AVI folder to ...\AVI2

If you do not want some of the HIP graphics, e.g. you don't like the background map, then delete it in the rar file before you unpack, then the game will use the default graphics.
This is true for all HIP graphics, which are also included in v1.1 (almost all).

2. Game informations

2.1. Rules:
House rules, you should apply:
-only Japan should buy rare materials from Siam, not Germany
-never try to buy oil from Italy, Japan or Spain
-do not combine more than 2 sub units to a fleet for a challenging Barbarossa:
-do not encircle more than 60 divs
-do not use strat. redeployment on Soviet territory to bring your infantry to the front in the
first 6 months of the campaign
-advance frontal and allow the Soviet units to retreat HIP is designed for the use of counters and normal/normaldifficulty/aggressiveness. Currently only the 1936 campaign is available, you can delete all other scenarios and
campaigns, except the 1942 one, which is in development.

2.2. General notes:
supply consumption in HIP is far higher than in v1.2, e.g. infantry model_0 HIP build_cost 328.8 ic_days; SC 0.99

v1.2 build_cost 665.0 ic_days; SC 0.90

after 664 days the maintenance cost is equal to the total build_cost for HIP! At war even faster.
SC always must be seen relative to the current price level.
Major countries have war supply consumption, what raises unit SC further.
A big land army at war, now really hurts.

2.3. FAQ:
At the start of every month Vatican City proclaims it's independence only to be annexed the very same day.

Is this intended?
Yes, this is necessary to update the unit stats boni, especially from the "brigades" techs.

Under "Message Settings" you can change under "Diplomacy" "When a nation annexes another nations" and "When a new nation is created" so, that there will be no message box.

This is the most convenient way to deal with it.
Why do most ministers have no trait?

HIP uses national discounts and those can not be combined with other ministers or technology discounts.

What happened to the gearing bonus?

It is removed, because it can not be combined with the national discount system.

Why can the political sliders not be changed?

HIP locks "free_market", "professional_army" and "defense_lobby" to 6, all countries have that to prevent them from getting changed through political influence.

This is related to the removed gearing bonus and IC boni.

Why is IC build disabled?

HIP has scripted growth events for IC and manpower, that make sure, that IC reflects historical GDP figures for countries. We also see the "government creating growth" concept as unrealistic.

The GDP figures are then needed to use percentage of GDP spent on military for gear up.

Why does the "Claiming Memel" event not give "Memel" province?

The area,that was actually ceded is way too small to justify the hand over of the "Memel" province.

When researching some brigades I have noticed that they have no stats to be added. ie SP Art Brigade, AT Brigade. What was the reason for the change?

With no stats you probably mean zero values. They get fractional increases, which are there, but are not visible in game.

It shows you "0", but actually you get e.g. soft attack +0.5.

There were significant changes, boni were spread further across the techs, some were removed like the defensiveness boni for mobile units, they were added to the unit files.

Some units were gaining too many boni, this was corrected.

What does it mean, when I get an event with the name "AI_EVENT"?

Nothing special, it just means, that this event is only visible for your country.

What purpose do machine tool techs have now, as they give no benefit?

They are required for the assembly line techs, which are a prequesition for higher techs.

Last edited:
Hi,

Interesting mod.
Have you ever thought of combining your effort with TRP !?
The TRP Mod covers some of your ideas and also focuses on a more realistic game. (FYI im just a BetaTester for TRP)

They are going in the same direction on some issues. I am curious how their first version will look like. I already have an agreement with Starfire, Mithel may use everything he likes from my mod and vice versa. I will try to come to a similar agreement with CORE and TRP. There might even be a closer cooperation. The unique feature of my mod is, that I am rebuilding many things from scratch.

HIP compatibility questions

Is HIP compatible with other AI modifications such as DAIM? In what way does the restructured AI differ from the typical HoI2 AI? As I understand it, using HIP with an AI mod such as DAIM won't work well because DAIM AI's lack the ability to intelligently react to all those new events you've added. Is there some way this could be altered?

HIP is NOT compatible with other AI modifications such as DAIM, it has its own AI structure, system and events. HIP in general takes HOI2 and the v1.1 patch as a base and tries to improve gameplay. The AI is improving from version to version with the aim to make AI countries behave historic.

The AI can be told to do everything you want, you just have to write enough events to cover many cases, which might happen. They then switch the AIs, which include the instructions/rules the computer should follow.

Last edited:
I have bad feelings i installed mod uncorectly. I started playing as GB,at start i have 280k money and i'm getting +5000 money daily, i still have lot of manpower, some countries infantry don't have icons...

I need to unpack it to Hoi 2 folder and than files in HIP folfer copy to Hoi 2 file or i only need to unpack it to Hoi 2 folder and nothing else?

Edit: Oh my after i started research i'm loosing now -7000 money daily...what is going on? Diplo costs are enormous, for example influence cost 66700...i really need to reinstall i think

Last edited:
G.D. said:
I have bad feelings i installed mod uncorectly. I started playing as GB,at start i have 280k money and i'm getting +5000 money daily, i still have lot of manpower,

Edit: Oh my after i started research i'm loosing now -7000 money daily...what is going on? Diplo costs are enormous, for example influence cost 66700...i really need to reinstall i think
That's all fine. Money is worth only 1/1000 now, meaning everything costs 1000 times more and you recieve 1000 times more money.
G.D. said:
some countries infantry don't have icons...
Which icons are missing?
G.D. said:
I need to unpack it to Hoi 2 folder and than files in HIP folfer copy to Hoi 2 file or i only need to unpack it to Hoi 2 folder and nothing else?
You copy everything under \HIP mod v0.08\MOD\ into your HOI2 directory. The mod files simply overwrite the original ones. I will try to skip one folder in the next update, so people won't get confused.

Last edited:
It is extremely hard to establish money, i made 15 trades for money and still only two my tech teams working with full efficiency...Maybe some tips?

Thanks Gurrah__

G.D.,

yes the UK has -6000 money per day until the reoccupation of the Rhineland, then they can go positive. The problems is, that they have high skilled/expensive teams and not their full IC. Their domestic policy also makes teams +20% more expensive. In general the combination of high skilled teams and low IC causes problems. I will think about a solution and release a new version later today, that should fix that.

Last edited:
Ok i will wait or i will conquer Swiss and their banks... ;)

Don't think i'm sceptic, i see you made lot of work, mostly i want to see Ai changes. If i will play more than i will can write correct opinion. Now i'm happy i can play something better than Vanilla Hoi 2 :) You need to think about using moddir, all major mods use this and your also should ;). Ask moderator to sticky this thread, than it would be always visible.

queries+first impresions

I loved your work on the new events, particularly the Volkswagen series and Skoda. The AI needs a bit more work, particaularly whatever it is that controls the Royal Navy and the Russian Army. The Brits are still losing CV's + battlefleets to wolfpacks of 6 U-boats, and the Russian army is still prone to being surrounded and destroyed in detail. More on this later.

I've been wondering for some time about the absence of foreign equipment in the army. I know for a fact that the Fins used both T26's as well as StuG's in their army, also, Germanized industries (such as Skoda) continued to produce the Pz. 38t for a long time after the war began; as it is, I don't see anything like a Pz.38t in the German game. Equating it with a Pz.III just doesn't hold water. Not in terms of armor and mobility anyway. Comments?

I apologize if it seems I'm coming in wet behind the ears, but I haven't been able to check somthing out yet: do all "improved medium tanks" have the same stats, regardless of nationality? If so, why?

Is it possible to have the Italians dow France provided the Germans have got to wherever they were historically when this happened (the Meuse, I think), and then petition entry into the Axis?

How about a DAK event in case the Italians are beaten back from the Egyptian border and Tobruk falls to the British? What's the reason for not letting Germany have a port on the Med?

Another thing, FM Rommel didn't die, he was forced to commit suicide after his implication in the Stauffenberg bomb plot, why does the game ditch the Desert Fox without having a particularly nasty event scripted for July 20?

ahmedvonmuneeb said:
do all "improved medium tanks" have the same stats, regardless of nationality? If so, why?
National army characteristics only work for all models, the same way. You can not give the Soviet model 2 a bonus or malus. If you want to do that, then you have to create unique national model series.
ahmedvonmuneeb said:
Is it possible to have the Italians dow France provided the Germans have got to wherever they were historically when this happened (the Meuse, I think), and then petition entry into the Axis?
Of course. You just have to specify, which conditions you want for that.
ahmedvonmuneeb said:
How about a DAK event in case the Italians are beaten back from the Egyptian border and Tobruk falls to the British? What's the reason for not letting Germany have a port on the Med?
The Human German player can get one transport and the AI German player one MOT div in Tripoli, but I am always open for suggestions.
Germany had e.g. Thessaloniki as a port, but with v1.1, that one is not in supply and worthless.
ahmedvonmuneeb said:
Another thing, FM Rommel didn't die, he was forced to commit suicide after his implication in the Stauffenberg bomb plot, why does the game ditch the Desert Fox without having a particularly nasty event scripted for July 20?
My general attitude on this is, that I only want natural deaths because of old age to be in the game, no suicides (except they were of private nature) or deaths during combat.

Last edited:
Panther,
Thanks for your work! I have incorporated your AI files and a couple other graphic pieces into my copy.

I'm a strong proponent of historical accuracy in the game. And believe vanilla HOI/HOI2 have gone in the wrong direction for playability purposes by making the allies and comintern inaccurately larger and stronger instead of down-tweaking the germans.

But, that being said, I'm curious as to why you gave memel to the ruskkies rather than the germans as in RL.

thanks again.

Germany got Memelland, what is at max. 20% of the Memel province. My view is, that the nation, that ownes the biggest part of a province, should get it. Also Suwalki goes to SOV after M-R, but Germany gets a core on Maribor (Marburg), what was IRL annexed by Germany.

There is still endless work necessary to make HOI2 more realistic and balance the game. Why do you think, that Germany is too strong?

Last edited:
Panther II said:
Germany got Memelland, what is at max. 20% of the Memel province. My view is, that the nation, that ownes the biggest part of a province, should get it. Also Suwalki goes to SOV after M-R, but Germany gets a core on Maribor (Marburg), what was IRL annexed by Germany.

There is still endless work necessary to make HOI2 more realistic and balance the game. Why do you think, that Germany is too strong?

Thanks for the first part. I didn't know that.
As to the second, I'll PM you, id I may.

W

Perhaps I installed it wrong, but when I go to load up a game a box comes up and says that two events have the same ID number. I usually just ignore it, but am I missing some features of the mod? So really, I just want to know if I installed it right. Install it into your HoI2 folder. You'll then have a HIP folder inside of it. Copy the contents of the HIP folder into the HoI2 folder. Is that correct?

General_Smith said:
Perhaps I installed it wrong, but when I go to load up a game a box comes up and says that two events have the same ID number.
You get this, when you try to start e.g. the 1939 campaign. The mod is designed and balanced ONLY for the 1936 campaign.
General_Smith said:
I usually just ignore it, but am I missing some features of the mod? So really, I just want to know if I installed it right. Install it into your HoI2 folder. You'll then have a HIP folder inside of it. Copy the contents of the HIP folder into the HoI2 folder. Is that correct?
This sounds all correct.

Last edited:
Excellent Panther, i begin to real play :D I will later post my opinions, ideas, likes and dislikes about mod. Thank you for a hard work.