Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 11 26 ... LastLast

Thread: The Merchant of Alexandria – A Fatimids AAR

Rōnin and Caput lupinum Anguille's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEast India Company CollectionEU3 CompleteLost Empire - ImmortalsRome Gold
    SengokuSword of the Stars

The Merchant of Alexandria – A Fatimids AAR

The Merchant of Alexandria – A Fatimids AAR

As promised, i will try to make a muslim AAR. Hope you like it.

Goal: minor victory by obtaining all the Kingdom Advantages (you need all the trade goods).
    Using: Laudan’s mod.
    Playing as Fatimids: Starting with 8 Provinces (from East to West: Lebanon, Palestine, Sinai, Cairo, Alexandria, El Alamein, Benghazi and Cyrenaica).
    (PS: there is no time frame in the game: however Kings get older. In my AAR: young is 20-25, middle-aged 35-40, old 45-50, very old 55-60, venerable 65-death).

Part 1: a new Caliph

When Caliph Aadil came to power in 1005, the Fatimids Empire was already very large. He was ruling the populations from the beautiful gardens of Lebanon to the desert storms of Cyrenaica.

Aadil didn’t want to expand his control much further, he’s goal was to create a prosperous Caliphate where all the various goods of the world could be found. The future seemed bright as he had just married the daughter of the King of Byzantium, which happened to be one of the mightiest Empires of the region, and he was young, 25.

There was one problem that had to be resolved first. The Zirid Caliphate was at war with us. While not very keen to conquest, Aadil was however very much interested in the province of Tripoli as it had some very good soil that allowed the breeding of Horses and the like which were not available in the Fatimids Caliphate. If the Zirids were not ready to sell us these goods, we would have to conquer Tripoli.

Aadil’s first decision as new Caliph was to hire a marshal.

Emir Aahil was ordered to organize the defences of the province of Cyrenaica which borded the Zirid Caliphate. At the same time, another marshal, Emir Abrar, was updating the military infrastructures of Alexandria: a Fletcher was then under construction.

Caliph Aadil promoted also one of his old friends, Emir Adam, to the rank of Builder and asked him to work with Emir Aahil and transform the city of Cyrenaica into a powerful stronghold.

As he wanted to prevent any attempts of murder and treason, he asked his best friend, Emir Adyar, to protect his back. He would have to track down any enemy spy that would attempt to infiltrate the court of the Fatimids, especially the ones from the Zirids.

Despite being at war, neither the Fatimid Caliphate nor the Zirid Caliphate attempted to conquer the other. At the same time, Aadil had managed to arrange a trade agreement with the Novgorod Kingdom, which was far in the North.
    Emir Abrar, second marshal of the Caliphate, was ordered to Palestine as a messenger had announced that mercenaries were willing to be hired. As the military infrastructures of the Caliphate were not yet ready to produce decent troops, Aadil considered that it was a good idea in order to have at least one full army. Meanwhile, as the Fletcher had been finished, Aadil ordered the construction of large stables in Alexandria, so the army could recruit Camel Riders…these would be the bone of the army.
    In Cyrenaica, Emir Adam, had managed to finish the construction of a Fletcher and had immediately started with the plans to create a large Sword smith. Emir Aahil was satisfied as he would soon be able to recruit a strong army of well-trained soldiers.
    Aadil was however very relieved when a messenger arrived in 1013 from the Zirid Caliphate to announce that they were willing to make peace…they were even willing to sign a trade agreement! As soon as they would have enough horses, they would sell them to us.
    Last edited by Anguille; 06-09-2006 at 12:48.

That sounds fun, but I think screenies would be great! First, for the Paradox people that don't have the game, and second, because it's easier to skim through 'em when you haven't got enough time.

Crusader Kings IIDiplomacyEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Victoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

I am going to read this with interest, as i don't own it myself, to get a feel of this game.
    ç
    Fantasia for EU3 Version 1.5 is up: Now provinces are different in tax and native size.

Quote Originally Posted by VPeric
    That sounds fun, but I think screenies would be great! First, for the Paradox people that don't have the game, and second, because it's easier to skim through 'em when you haven't got enough time.
    Problem is that i don't have a site for screenshots...

Crusader Kings IIDiplomacyEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Victoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by Anguille2
    Problem is that i don't have a site for screenshots...
    Imageshack no registration required.
    ç
    Fantasia for EU3 Version 1.5 is up: Now provinces are different in tax and native size.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultDiplomacyEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesGalactic Assault
    Victoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisEU3 Collectors Edition

Blog Entries
    This sounds interesting. I've never been able to see or play KoH (and likely never will). But I think I'll enjoy reading the AAR's for it. Keep it up. What makes this all the more interesting is that you didn't start with a nation most of us would have chosen. Usualy the first AAR's are the biggies, England, France, Germany (in Vicky and HoI). To see the first AAR start in a ROTW nation is cool.
    LibrAARian of the EU1 LibrAARy and the EU1 LibrAARy updates
    "Et pour ce devez amer, prisier, loer et honorer touz ceux a qui Dieu donne grace d'eulx trouver en pluseurs bonnes journees d'armes pour la guerre..."

Member; Ahistoric Association
    "The Footsteps of Illustrious Men"-USA; Victoria (AARland Choice Award X3)
    The Ink Well: Advertise your AAR's Use it, Love it
    --- I've been Glorified! and Canonized!

Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Good start. Nice overwiew! I'll follow this closely as I just have ordered the game, and currently are really enjoying the little I get to see of the game through the demo
    Quote Originally Posted by Alerias View Post
    I want to be surprised and shocked whenever Burgundy doesn't get partitioned, whenever Russia doesn't form, or whenever Spain doesn't control most of Southern and Central America. Not the other way around.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    Divine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisEU3 Collectors Edition500k club

Great! Finally AAR in KoH! Excellent start and good choice for starting country.
    btw. Can you form new nations, if some conditions are true? (like Russia, Italy and Spain?)
    "We have clearly reached the point where only rampant and unchecked stabbing can save us.
    And my first act as self-appointed stabmaster is to slay my comrades."

- Black Mage

Kaiserreich: Legacy of the Weltkrieg

Yes, that is possible.

Angryminer

[Edit]
    I should stop using the forum.sunflowers.de -smilies...
    [/Edit]

Crusader Kings IIEast India Company CollectionEU3 CompleteLost Empire - ImmortalsRome Gold

Thanks for the interest guys...i'll do my best

Part 2: Completing the court

In order to achieve his goal to transform the Caliphate into the Centre of Commerce, Aadil knew he would need some large Harbours that would be able to welcome big merchant ships bringing exotic goods from very distant countries. El Alamein would be one of these and so he ordered the construction of a Fishmonger as a start…later he would upgrade it to an Admiralty.
    Meanwhile, Emir Ahmed and Emir Abdush went to the court of Byzantium and started to import Hides, thus bringing the goal of our beloved Caliph closer to reality. The diplomatic skills of Aadil were at his best when he managed to sign a trade treaty with the Papacy States.
    In 1017, some scientists of the Caliphate discovered rich deposits of silver and salt in the mountains of Lebanon. Aadil ordered the creation of a tool smithy in order to prepare the exploitation of these goods.
    Far West, in Cyrenaica, the construction of the military structures was slowly reaching the end when a Spear Maker Factory was put under construction. Soon, any kind of troops, swordsmen, spearmen and archers, would be available in that city. Also in Alexandria, Camel Riders would soon be available as a large Armoury was under construction. The Fatimids Caliphate would fear no-one anymore.

The rich fields in Benghazi made it ideal for agriculture. This is where the Caliph had placed most of his hopes. In that region we would be able to produce many trading goods and so this region was the backbone of his plan. By 1021 a large Apiary had been constructed.
    Meanwhile, in El Alamein, the fishmonger was being upgraded to docks…the first ships were starting to arrive.
    As the Camel Riders would soon be available, Emir Aahil was ordered back to Alexandria to start the recruitment.
    1022 Troubles begin. Not willing to enter a war, Caliph Aadil refused the request of Byzantium to attack the kingdom of Sicily. This would later prove to be a mistake. During this time, Aadil promoted 2 new Emirs: one to the rank of Merchant, Emir Aaquid (4 merchants in the Caliphate: The Caliph, Emir Ahmed, Emir Abdush and Emir Aaquid), and one as a cleric, Emir Ayaan , who was ordered to govern the religious city of Jerusalem.
    In 1023, a new trade good was available when the salt mines in Lebanon began their production. The first Kingdom Advantage would soon be achieved.
    Last edited by Anguille; 18-05-2005 at 09:31.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
    Crusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India
    Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Oh boy! I'm glad to see this! Thanks!

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultDiplomacyEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesGalactic Assault
    Victoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisEU3 Collectors Edition

Blog Entries
    Looks good, Its interesting to see an approach from an economic view rather than a military conquest.
    LibrAARian of the EU1 LibrAARy and the EU1 LibrAARy updates
    "Et pour ce devez amer, prisier, loer et honorer touz ceux a qui Dieu donne grace d'eulx trouver en pluseurs bonnes journees d'armes pour la guerre..."

Member; Ahistoric Association
    "The Footsteps of Illustrious Men"-USA; Victoria (AARland Choice Award X3)
    The Ink Well: Advertise your AAR's Use it, Love it
    --- I've been Glorified! and Canonized!

Nice to see an AAR of this fine game.

Keep writing.

Cities in MotionDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Supreme Ruler 2020 Gold

Ah. The merchant horde strategy. Works well, but is more limited once you grow bigger. i.e. you still need a great percentage of your knight slots to receive an always smaller percentage of your income. Now I do limit myself to 2 traders max.

And I always use my king as a counterspy, surprises may be nasty without it... . But it's just another way to play
    1)War is not about who is right. Only about who is left.
    2)Le tabac est une plante carnivore qui dévore les poumons.

et mon petit AAR de débutant : le MAARketing medieval

"Democracy is overrated."
    Stonewall, 11/09/2008.

Audentes Fortuna Iuvat Tzar Kalojan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by m45tion87
    Great! Finally AAR in KoH! Excellent start and good choice for starting country.
    btw. Can you form new nations, if some conditions are true? (like Russia, Italy and Spain?)
    Yes you can form many new nations
    especially if you try elvain's mod

btw Great AAR !
    Always outnumbered, never outgunned.

The first vineyards in the Province of Benghazi started to produce an exquisite wine. Despite being at peace with the Zirid Caliphate, tensions were still present. Aadil ordered Emir Abrar to move from Lebanon to Cyrenaica with his army in order to protect the West. That army was mainly a Mercenaries army: there were only 2 Desert Spearmen companies from the Caliphate…there was a company of Slavonic Bowmen, 2 of regular Spearmen, 3 companies of Axe-men and one of Pronaias (medium Cavalry).

The East part of the Caliphate was quiet for the moment as the Byzantium Kingdom was a good friend and the Abyssids were peaceful.

In 1027, the building of a Hemp field in Benghazi allowed the production of another trade good. Furthermore, the Khazars who, like the Zirids, were also selling horses proposes us a Trade agreement. Now we would always be able to have cavalry units.
    Emir Aadil and his wife had given up hope that a child would bring life and laughter in the palace. The Empress was already 40 years old and 22 years of marriage had not brought the heir they had longed for. It was like a miracle when in early 1028, the empress announced to the Caliph that she was pregnant. When the boy came to life, the entire Caliphate was in joy…finally an heir was there!
    It was during these joyful years that Emir Adam finished the building of the Wax factory in Benghazi, that the first silver was dug out of the mountains in Lebanon and that the first horses arrived from the Zirid Caliphate. As it seemed, things were moving smoothly but that would end soon.

After so many years of friendship, Caliph Aadil accepted an alliance offer of the Byzantium Kingdom…but he should have looked closer to the diplomatic relations of his friend. Indeed, the Byzantium Kingdom was already at war with too many Kingdoms.
    In Benghazi, another building was finished: a Weaving Mill that would produce Linen. Emir Adam had done some fine work in that province and many trade goods were already available.

In Alexandria, work began on the production system of Marble (Tool Smithy and Quarry).
    Last edited by Anguille; 06-09-2007 at 11:37.

Compulsive CommentatAAR stnylan's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor The Glory
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandEU Rome Collectors Edition
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res Publica

Blog Entries
    Nice to see an AAR. Not that I can afford to get this game at the moment, but I may, at some point.
    To view is human, to comment is divine.
    "Be not afraid" - John Paul II
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.
    Current AAR: Stories of King Sean CK2 4.1
    Completed AAR: In Memory of France EU2
    View my full AAR list at The Inkwell
    My library and My blog
    Ask not what AARland can do for you, but what you can do for AARland.

Crusader Kings II

-thanks so much for posting this! i'm in Canada and have ordered the game from Paradox but am starved for info

-please continue

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    Divine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisEU3 Collectors Edition500k club

Quote Originally Posted by Tzar Kalojan
    Yes you can form many new nations
    especially if you try elvain's mod

btw Great AAR !
    Cool! How do you do that? By pressing a button or just wait some randomly popping event?
    And where could I find this elvain's mod?
    "We have clearly reached the point where only rampant and unchecked stabbing can save us.
    And my first act as self-appointed stabmaster is to slay my comrades."

- Black Mage

Kaiserreich: Legacy of the Weltkrieg

EU3 Complete

Cool *subscribe*

Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 11 26 ... LastLast