• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(30040)

Postmodern poseur
Jun 3, 2004
Just a sort of survey, I guess. Also, I want to see if there are any good ones I've missed.

Anyway:
5. The Sultan of Swat, a Brunei AAR, by Stroph1 (link)
The story that got me into all of this....
4. The German RISK AAR, by Rustican (link)
Very good, also one of the longest running AARs I've seen, lasting from July 2003 to December 2004
3. Carthage Reborn: the very first Tunisian AAR, by Farquharson (link)
"Another significant event in Abdulaziz's life occured in 1434, when he died."
2. World Conquest for Dummies, by Peter Ebbesen (link)
The idea had to have come up somewhere, but here it was very well done.
1. Bearly Surviving, a Novogrod AAR, by Paranoid Tsar (link)
This was hilarious.
What are your ideas?

Any Farquharson AAR could be on that list. There'll Always be an Angevin is my personal favourite.
In December the Burgundians annexed Orleans, and began searching for Jeanne d’Arc, who was of course being blamed for starting the war in the first place. They finally tracked her down in July 1430, and sold her to the English who found her guilty on various charges, such as being a woman, being French, and being legendary. The punishment for these crimes turned out to be burning at the stake, which of course she faced courageously, knowing that it would do wonders for her legendariness.

Valdemar said:
Perhaps this would be better done in character at the bAAR, since we do not really hold user suggeted lists here in general-----

V

Oops....

Move along then, nothing to see here.

No problem.. it is an age old discussion about subjectivity of choices and "OT" clutter, :)

perhaps you could couch your wish for such lists in general terms in the thread discussing awards and other assorted "Readers choice" options? :)

V

Norgesvenn said:
Peter Ebbesen's first AAR.

I can't remember its name.
I guess you mean It Came From the Mountains and not Austria: From Pawn to Superpower right?

I know we're not supposed to post here, but my favourite is the Timurid one by P.E.

EDIT: The Timurid Scientists

Last edited:
Portugal or Bust. Need we say more? :)

Talk about a shameless plug...:)

Amric said:
Talk about a shameless plug...:)
Yeah, well, it's been a while, and it's been buried and fallen off the radar, especially for recent members.

You want shameless plug? Portugal or Bust: The Director's Cut - Rated 'R' won gold for the category Best of the Best AARs from 2002 - 2003 and another gold for Best Character: Dick Steele. Someone, somewhere, liked it. :)

Director beat me to it. Heagarty's 'Gluttonic Knights' is a cornucopia of laughs and guffaws interspiced with wit, sprinkled with puns, making a four course meal out of dry humor and utter irreverence.
It’s kind of funny to!

Joe

Gotta go with LD and Storey here - "Portugal or Bust" and "Gluttonic Knights" were easy Top Five choices, and also "World Conquest for Dummies". I vaguely remember a "Seven Habits of Highly Effective Despots" AAR which was abandoned unfortunately, and for the fifth spot I nominate my own AAR "Count Dracula and the Shish Köfte of Doom", which I unfortunately never got around to writing but when I was planning it out in my head and laughing my mule off several people gave me funny looks.

The Timurid Scientists is my favorite, but I have to include a small passage from my own AAR for France. Mostly because it doesn't yet exist online or have a chance of being finished.

The rebellion lasted several days before every single rebel man, all three rebel women, and a seditious looking foxhound in the city were slaughtered wholesale. The first “French Revolution” was thus slightly less successful than its modern, more notable sharer of the name.

And maybe

In late 1422 the ridiculously skilled Henry V, trapped behind enemy lines and attacked on all sides, was hit by a stray arrow from the Bourbonnais, who had continued to march towards Maine like angry and well armed lemmings in silly yellow clothing.

Henry V died two days later from both a sickness he had contracted in winter and the more apparent and more visible sharp piece of metal and wood that had slammed into his stomach at high speeds. The English blamed the French, of course, and showed their courage and resolve in the face of adversity by offering to cede almost all of their continental territory for peace.

Wasa said:
Norgesvenns Supermarket AAR...Sheherazade as cashier and all that... :)

:D Thanks!

Well, I think "The Righteous BastAARds" *points to signature* which is a colloborative with Peter Ebbesen had its moments. Although a lot of the jokes are based on various members of the forum, and rather circumstancial.