+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What would your top 5 comedy AARs be?

Europa Universalis 3

What would your top 5 comedy AARs be?

Just a sort of survey, I guess. Also, I want to see if there are any good ones I've missed.

Anyway:
    5. The Sultan of Swat, a Brunei AAR, by Stroph1 (link)
    The story that got me into all of this....
    4. The German RISK AAR, by Rustican (link)
    Very good, also one of the longest running AARs I've seen, lasting from July 2003 to December 2004
    3. Carthage Reborn: the very first Tunisian AAR, by Farquharson (link)
    "Another significant event in Abdulaziz's life occured in 1434, when he died."
    2. World Conquest for Dummies, by Peter Ebbesen (link)
    The idea had to have come up somewhere, but here it was very well done.
    1. Bearly Surviving, a Novogrod AAR, by Paranoid Tsar (link)
    This was hilarious.
    What are your ideas?
    Everybody knows, you only live a day, but it's brilliant anyway
    FINISHED: Keep on Rockin' in the Free World, an AAR of the USA.
    Pretty stale: The Crusader Mafia: A Neapolitan AAR. Winner: AARland Reader's Choice Awards Q4, CK comedy.
    I own one sixth of Henry v. Keiper's soul, 600 kenneththegreat points, 5 Pimp Shizzle Points,
    <--- a Phoenix cookie, and three anonymous4401 dollars.
    Index of "Interesting" OT Threads for your erudition. Not updated, but you'll just have to live with that.

Cities in Motion 2Europa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteHeir to the Throne500k club

Any Farquharson AAR could be on that list. There'll Always be an Angevin is my personal favourite.
    In December the Burgundians annexed Orleans, and began searching for Jeanne d’Arc, who was of course being blamed for starting the war in the first place. They finally tracked her down in July 1430, and sold her to the English who found her guilty on various charges, such as being a woman, being French, and being legendary. The punishment for these crimes turned out to be burning at the stake, which of course she faced courageously, knowing that it would do wonders for her legendariness.

Not working

Perhaps this would be better done in character at the bAAR, since we do not really hold user suggeted lists here in general-----

V

Europa Universalis 3

Quote Originally Posted by Valdemar
    Perhaps this would be better done in character at the bAAR, since we do not really hold user suggeted lists here in general-----

V
    Oops....

Move along then, nothing to see here.
    Everybody knows, you only live a day, but it's brilliant anyway
    FINISHED: Keep on Rockin' in the Free World, an AAR of the USA.
    Pretty stale: The Crusader Mafia: A Neapolitan AAR. Winner: AARland Reader's Choice Awards Q4, CK comedy.
    I own one sixth of Henry v. Keiper's soul, 600 kenneththegreat points, 5 Pimp Shizzle Points,
    <--- a Phoenix cookie, and three anonymous4401 dollars.
    Index of "Interesting" OT Threads for your erudition. Not updated, but you'll just have to live with that.

Not working

No problem.. it is an age old discussion about subjectivity of choices and "OT" clutter,

perhaps you could couch your wish for such lists in general terms in the thread discussing awards and other assorted "Readers choice" options?

V

Cities in Motion 2Europa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteHeir to the Throne500k club

Same here. I didn't post anything. You didn't see anything. Go back to your homes.

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiVictoria 2

Peter Ebbesen's first AAR.

I can't remember its name.
    Economics is extremely useful as a form of employment for economists.

- John Kenneth Galbraith

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis III: In NomineVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2

Quote Originally Posted by Norgesvenn
    Peter Ebbesen's first AAR.

I can't remember its name.
    I guess you mean It Came From the Mountains and not Austria: From Pawn to Superpower right?

I know we're not supposed to post here, but my favourite is the Timurid one by P.E.

EDIT: The Timurid Scientists
    Last edited by tombom; 19-03-2005 at 21:49.
    "Losers " -Kaigon

The Father of AARland Lord Durham's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae Victis

Portugal or Bust. Need we say more?
    Current AAR: The Sons of Ragnar Lodbrok: In the Shadow of the Great Old Ones

Follow the link to read The Pariah. For more Lovecraft style horror, try The Crane Horror and my Holmes/Lovecraft story The Case of the Galloway Eidolon. All are free to read in the Lovecraft eZine.

Available: The Saglek Incident in the anthology Sha'Daa: Pawns and Witiko in the anthology Bigfoot Terror Tales: Vol 1

Also: Plains of Hell in the anthology Lawyers in Hell & Colony in the anthology Rogues in Hell, continuing the HUGO award winning Heroes in Hell series, edited by Janet Morris

For a complete list of my AARs go to The Ink Well. Visit my Website for news, reviews and story excerpts.

Hurricane Sergeant of Arms Amric's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3

Talk about a shameless plug...
    Guardian of Truth, Defender of Justice, Harbinger of Light! Formerly known as the Hurricane!

Now retired from writing!

"You can rest assured, sir, that I will do everything in my power to make sure it isn't my fault!" --Dr. Grant

The Father of AARland Lord Durham's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae Victis

Quote Originally Posted by Amric
    Talk about a shameless plug...
    Yeah, well, it's been a while, and it's been buried and fallen off the radar, especially for recent members.

You want shameless plug? Portugal or Bust: The Director's Cut - Rated 'R' won gold for the category Best of the Best AARs from 2002 - 2003 and another gold for Best Character: Dick Steele. Someone, somewhere, liked it.
    Current AAR: The Sons of Ragnar Lodbrok: In the Shadow of the Great Old Ones

Follow the link to read The Pariah. For more Lovecraft style horror, try The Crane Horror and my Holmes/Lovecraft story The Case of the Galloway Eidolon. All are free to read in the Lovecraft eZine.

Available: The Saglek Incident in the anthology Sha'Daa: Pawns and Witiko in the anthology Bigfoot Terror Tales: Vol 1

Also: Plains of Hell in the anthology Lawyers in Hell & Colony in the anthology Rogues in Hell, continuing the HUGO award winning Heroes in Hell series, edited by Janet Morris

For a complete list of my AARs go to The Ink Well. Visit my Website for news, reviews and story excerpts.

Not working

So much for my attempt to stop readers choice biased lists until we can organise it properly

But I agree Portugal or bust and PE takes the top of the list

V

Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition

Quote Originally Posted by tombom

EDIT: The Timurid Scientists
    That's the one, yes.

LD's Portugal or Bust was superb too.

- John Kenneth Galbraith

For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

While I like the others listed, I have to add Heagarty's 'Gluttonic Knights' and Prufrock's 'WAAR of the Worlds' to the list.
    "That which does not kill me, has made a grave tactical error." - Jerry Pournelle

Seven AARs and a picture, too: Director's Inkwell

Europa Universalis 3For The GloryHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Europa Universalis IV

Director beat me to it. Heagarty's 'Gluttonic Knights' is a cornucopia of laughs and guffaws interspiced with wit, sprinkled with puns, making a four course meal out of dry humor and utter irreverence.
    It’s kind of funny to!

Joe
    The way to a woman's heart is through her stomach.

Desert Tides or how I learned to swim in quicksand Adventure
    A Tall Tale Told on a Cold Night Fantasy

Khan of the Crimea Hajji Giray I's Avatar
    EU3 Complete500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Gotta go with LD and Storey here - "Portugal or Bust" and "Gluttonic Knights" were easy Top Five choices, and also "World Conquest for Dummies". I vaguely remember a "Seven Habits of Highly Effective Despots" AAR which was abandoned unfortunately, and for the fifth spot I nominate my own AAR "Count Dracula and the Shish Köfte of Doom", which I unfortunately never got around to writing but when I was planning it out in my head and laughing my mule off several people gave me funny looks.
    Friends, I am no longer a regular visitor to the Paradox forums. However, you can attract my attention at any time by sending me a PM. I am notified by e-mail and will happily get in touch. ~ Hajji

The Official OT Forum Museum
    a collection of the best OT posts and threads of all time!

Debts Unpaid: The First Guy Marlborough Mystery
    Five times an AARland Choice Winner!
    View a directory of my other AARs

Norgesvenns Supermarket AAR...Sheherazade as cashier and all that...

The Timurid Scientists is my favorite, but I have to include a small passage from my own AAR for France. Mostly because it doesn't yet exist online or have a chance of being finished.

The rebellion lasted several days before every single rebel man, all three rebel women, and a seditious looking foxhound in the city were slaughtered wholesale. The first “French Revolution” was thus slightly less successful than its modern, more notable sharer of the name.
    And maybe

In late 1422 the ridiculously skilled Henry V, trapped behind enemy lines and attacked on all sides, was hit by a stray arrow from the Bourbonnais, who had continued to march towards Maine like angry and well armed lemmings in silly yellow clothing.

Henry V died two days later from both a sickness he had contracted in winter and the more apparent and more visible sharp piece of metal and wood that had slammed into his stomach at high speeds. The English blamed the French, of course, and showed their courage and resolve in the face of adversity by offering to cede almost all of their continental territory for peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Wasa
    Norgesvenns Supermarket AAR...Sheherazade as cashier and all that...
    Thanks!

Well, I think "The Righteous BastAARds" *points to signature* which is a colloborative with Peter Ebbesen had its moments. Although a lot of the jokes are based on various members of the forum, and rather circumstancial.

- John Kenneth Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Norgesvenn
    Thanks!

Well, I think "The Righteous BastAARds" *points to signature* which is a colloborative with Peter Ebbesen had its moments. Although a lot of the jokes are based on various members of the forum, and rather circumstancial.
    Either way I laughed as hell, litterary ROFL actually...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast