• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Excellent choice!

I got to peruse this one while looking for Choice Award candidates, and I was really, really impressed!

I'm hoping to have time, soon, to go through more of it. Definitely worth checking out!

Congrats, RossN!

Rensslaer

congrants RossN, a truly deserved winner.

Congratulations! I haven't read your AAR yet but I shall remedy that right now. :)

Vincent Julien said:
'The Patriot's Sword': The Republic of Canada by RossN, which I think you'll agree is a worthy choice in need of some overdue recognition, which I hope you'll all happily provide.

Well done Ross!

NO!!!!!!!!!

Why, VJ? Why??

*grins* Just kidding. Ross, I just started reading the last few posts of 'Patriots Sword' after I saw it did well in Anonymous' AAR Awards. It's a great story, I'm enjoying the election immensely!

Well thank you everyone for your kind words, and especially Vincent Julien for this entirely undeserved nomination! :D

In many ways 'The Patriot's Sword' is not a very typical AAR for me - it's mostly serious, heavily expositional (originally anyway, it's become quite narrative these days) and about a real country in the not too distant past, with many 'real' (albeit heavily fictionalised) people. It is also (in gamist terms) my least successful AAR, with Canada still a lowly 4th rank power (not that starting in 1882 is very helpful... :) )

'The Patriot's Sword' was originally going to be about creating a sort of Ireland in exile - by giving Canada Irish as a sole culture I wanted to see if I could get a majority Irish population by 1920. Hence choosing the Fenian Raid as my starting point. However very early on the idea occured to me that since I'd already involved Napoleon III in the exposition, and given that families electoral credentials it might be fun to see a Napoleon win an election and take the Canadian throne.

Had I had this idea before I had already posted I might have started as Quebec in 1836 - with the original Napoleon involved...

So I went back and changed the main culture to Franco-Canadian (to end up with a francophone Canada) and the rest is alternate history...

One of the things I discovered about a Victorian AAR (besides the fact that elections are incredibly entertaining to write about) is the different areas historical people can end up in, with people as distinct from each other as John Devoy, the Prince Imperial and Robert Borden ending up in congress with each other. I also seem to have created one or two villains. ;) And what story is complete without a beautiful princess or two? I have the glimmer of an ending planned, but it's far too soon to tell if it will pan out yet. :)

So other than plug 'The Patriot's Sword: the Movie!', staring Liam Neeson as Parnell, The Rock as the Comte du Halifax and Kirsten Dunst as Princess Victoria-Beatrice and hitting cinemas everywhere in Summer 2006, I have relatively little else to say, other than thank you, keep reading and keep commenting. :)

This is a wonderful AAR. I am constantly having the most awful stress-related injuries when reading of the new plots on the part of the French royals to destroy the Fenian Irish edenic paradise, especially that dastardly pernicious regent.

A lovely AAR, a most proper choice. :)

What a great choice! I just got on board with this AAR recently have have loved every minute of it since. If you are not reading it, you should be! :D

Congrats for the showcase, RossN!

Wow, praise from Caesar! :eek: :) Thanks Mettermrck!

Thanks too J. Passepartout, Sir Humphrey and coz1. :)

Not one I have yet been able to sample, but congratulations nevertheless.

Wonder what Ross's successor piece will be.

Well I guess it's time to pass the floor to the next winner.

My choice is the HOI1 AAR Caught in the Vice: Austria-Hungary in WWI by VILenin.

It's still early on, but is shaping up to be a fine, well researched AAR, and covering a somewhat uncovential place and time (where and when can probably be gleaned from the title :D ) and very well worth a look.

Congratulations VILenin. :)

Congratulations VILenin. It is well deserved :)

Congrats VILenin! It seems there is yet another HoI2 AAR to catch up on. :D