Weekly AAR Showcase: The Christian Kingdom of Sarir - the Forgotten Persian Principality

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Very many congratulations ! :D

Thanks everybody for the support, the reading and the commenting! And thanks Subi for choosing my AAR, if it makes someone want to play EU III it has definitely surpassed my expectations. I hope you can find the time to play EU and continue your existing AAR :)

And now I shall pass the honour to bring the showcase back on track to the beginning of the week. This time I've made the effort and ventured outside my dear and cosy EU forums into the scary/brave new world of HoI3 :eek::eek::eek: Of the fledgling AARs in there I found one that promises to be amazing both at gameplay and story/history level:

(Since Rensslaer hasn't been showcased since 2005 I guess he must be eligible.) Congratulations Rensslaer! Let's hope you can do wonders with the new Portuguese Empire! :D

Congrats Renns! You have the distinction of having the first HoI3 AAR to be showcased! :D

Last edited:
Congrats, Renss! Of course, you never need a showcase. ;) Your work never fails to get some eyes thanks to your usual superb effort. Enjoy the week. :)

It begins, even with very little material it already promises to be enjoyable, it is an original choice and quite a gamble... Yes, 'Império Novo' is worth attention :)

Poor Renss, though, already busy working on a strategy guide update iirc, and now he has to read through AARland for a week :D

It begins, even with very little material it already promises to be enjoyable, it is an original choice and quite a gamble... Yes, 'Império Novo' is worth attention :)

Poor Renss, though, already busy working on a strategy guide update iirc, and now he has to read through AARland for a week :D

Oh, it's never not fun to read through AARland for a week! :D

I have some ideas in mind already, but I'll definitely give it further thought and breadth of consideration.

Thank you, Aldriq! What an honor! I really appreciate it!

And it's also quite an honor to be the first HOI 3 AAR chosen!

And thank you all for your congratulations! I'll be more effusive in my thanks later when I have more time to attend to this. ;)

Rensslaer

Oh, it's never not fun to read through AARland for a week! :D

Never said the contrary, this is out of concern for when we get to read your next po- hem, concern for your well-being of course :D

Congratulations on a good AAR.

Very nice choice. Congratulations Rensslaer :)

Congratulations Rensslaer :D

Aldriq, thank you again, and thanks to all those who have stopped by to offer your congratulations -- especially those who've also posted in my AAR!

In explanation, I enjoy playing minors, and I believe Portugal is underestimated as a potential "significant other" on the world stage. I may prove myself wrong! :D But I hope not, and I intend to try to show differently. It's primarily a gameplay AAR, but with some fictionalized dramatic scenes thrown in for flavor. Please, do drop by if you have a chance!

Now, out of respect for the importance of this award, I would normally try to choose an AAR from a game other than the one for which the award was last won. But the special circumstances of HOI 3's recent release, and the flood of new AARs produced, and partly even because of the mixed reviews a few people have been giving it (everyone else is busy playing and enjoying! :p), I want to pass this along to another HOI 3 AAR, in confidence that the award will not get stuck there once the novelty of this new game has worn off.

There are many new AARs in the nascent HOI 3 Forum which deserve recognition. Several of them stood out to me, but one in particular has caught my fancy.

Zaku has begun writing Do You Like Snails?, a French '36 campaign, and has already made significant progress into the war.

It is approachably and casually written gameplay, with much explained about the new game, as well as dissertations on why he chose different actions. His sense of humor comes across, he's chosen stunning visuals -- both photographs and well-chosen screenshots -- and the text and graphics dovetail well with each other.

Perhaps the thing that most impresses me about it is he's using it as a showcase of the new HOI 3 AI-controlled HQ framework. He's not using manual control for his units at all (except for very specific circumstances which aren't likely to come into play). Nevertheless, he's demonstrating great success in frontal battles.

It's just a really fun and informative read, and I highly recommend it to anyone who's wondering what this new game has to offer!

Congratulations, Zaku!

Rensslaer