Weekly AAR Showcase: The Christian Kingdom of Sarir - the Forgotten Persian Principality

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thanks everyone!

And now, I present next week's winner. An old AAR, but a fabulous one. The story is reaching the beginnings of the final climax. The armaggedon we have all been waiting for has finally arrived. If you have not already done so, I urge you to go and read Director's fabulous 'A Special Providence.'

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?316972-A-Special-Providence

Congrats!

Congratulations, Director!

Again? ;) I'm sure you've won this before - but then again, your tale continues to be a wonderful read. Congratulations. I've been on vacation for the last two weeks, so here's hoping there's some catching up for me to do. :)

Um...

First, a large and heart-felt 'Thank you' to The Executer for the recognition and another sincere 'Thank you' to the people who have commented here. A special 'Thank you' goes out to the readers who have been following and most of all commenting in 'A Special Providence', some since the early days. And a Thank you to Stuyvesant, who seems to think that there is ever enough praise and appreciation of my great... um... my great big fat ego, I suppose. :glare:

As a matter of fact I can count this as showcase number 4 on the current list, three times for 'A Special Providence' and once for 'Frontier', to which Stuyvesant was an important contributor, and which you should read just for that (because he writes very well - and far too little, in my opinion). Just goes to show that if you hang around long enough people will notice you (or run out of worthy others :) ).

For those who are somewhat put off by an old and long-running work, I think you should still give 'Providence' a try. I think you could pick it up where it is and enjoy the ride. World War I is breaking out, though of course no-one knows that this latest German adventure in France will broaden to take in the world. Lots of combat and derring-do to come, beginning with a naval battle just a few days from now.

Anyway, thank you all - very much. You have motivated me to write more and to try to write better, and what more could I ask?

Um... I don't suppose I can pass this to myself, or even to one of my other personalities? No? All righty then! Until Sunday I shall enjoy the spotlight!

Congratulation, Director! Very well deserved!

I don't have much time to catch up on AARs, much less to start reading new ones. I'm lucky enough to have time to update those I'm running. But Special Providence is one of those which I do, occasionally, pop back into to see what's going on!

In fact, you may be the author whose works I've read most of, throughout the fora -- I've counted your Historypark AARs, and even Frontier, as some of my favorites!

And a belated Congrats to TheExecuter! Ironically, The Last Mission is another of those which I've tried (and failed) to keep up with, but I'm still trying in fits and starts (and yes, I notice you haven't updated it in 2 years -- I'm slow, okay?). :eek:o

Rensslaer

Echoing Rennslaer, a big congratulations to Director, TheExecuter, and all the others who've been showcased since I was last in this thread!

Ladies and gentlemen, at this time I would like you to direct your attention to the center-stage for the presentation of our newest Weekly AAR Showcase Award.

The worthy honoree, in my humble opinion, is loki100's "The Mightiest Empires Fall": An Austrian RoP PBEM.

If you haven't already read through this little gem I encourage you to go do so immediately. Well, after I finish speaking, perhaps! Though the ending is more reminiscent to me of the ghastlies of WWI than of the battles of the Philosopher-King, any student of strategy would be well advised to go read it and take copious notes. Many have said that coalition warfare is the most demanding and dangerous sort; every strategist praises the advantages of interior lines, especially so when possessed by a force of superior mobility and striking power. Yet loki100 put together a coalition and a plan and, despite reverses and (*shudder*) very high combat losses, drove Frederick the Great from the battlefield, from his capitol, and likely from Silesia for good.

No small achievement. :) (And in his defense he does have a rigorously logical reason for killing off a decade or more of Austrian manhood.)

I am offering this Showcase to loki100 and not to his esteemed opponent Narwhal for the simple reason that almost all of the commentary in the thread comes from loki100. So come on up, loki100, and take a well desrved bow.

For my part, I'm headed off to look up a biography of Pyrrhus. :D

Congratulations, loki100! What a nice way to send off the AAR. Your multiple AARs for a variety of AGEOD games have kept me highly interested and keep that little spark glowing that maybe, one day, I too shall actually play one of their games already in my collection. In fact, the recent upsurge in PON AARs, yours included, made me try out some of the tutorials again tonight... We'll see where that ends. ;)

Anyway, enough with the digression. Congratulations on the Showcase. In a very real sense a double showcase: it's not just your meticulous AAR that gets a showcase, through it (and the others active), the AGEOD games are getting their own showcase. Both very much deserved. :)

thank you Director, very much appreciated for both the award and your kind words. For those who haven't tried it, MP using the AGEOD games is quite an experience. You have all the time you need (within limits) to fuss over your moves and plans but know you are facing the creativity of a human opponent (not that the Athena AI is easy to beat).

Rise of Prussia is, in my view, the jewel in their crown (I'm biased, its a historical period I find fascinating and it was the first one I bought and played), usually a game of some elegance with feints, sieges, countermarches etc. Well ours has those, ... and an ending more reminiscent of Germany 1945 or 1918 than the Seven Years War.

I'm not sure I won Phyrric victory - more a case of a last man standing victory?

Congrats loki100!

This AAR is a LIE ! The screenshoots are photoshopped ! I was NEVER defeated. I took Vienna by july 1756 ! I swear !

Congratulation, Loki ;) Well deserved.

And, Director, of course it is completely clear and was from the start that it was / would be 100% a Loki100 AAR - I am just a commenter with more clues.