+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 265 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 35 50 75 100 125 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekly AAR Showcase: All Hope Lies in Rome

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus Vult
    DiplomacyDungeonlandEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLegio
    Leviathan: WarshipsMagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome
    SengokuSword of the StarsThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the Roses
    Pride of NationsCK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Hey frog! Yes and yes!

Please tell us a bit about your AAR, how it came about, what crossed your mind when you write for it, where you hope to go with it and so forth! Then choose a successor.
    Active:
    Random World Order(EU4, Random)

Past:
    Beyond Tannenberg IV: The More Things Change(EU4, Teutonic Order, COMPLETE (Defeated))
    Beyond Tannenberg III: The Last Crusade (EU3, Teutonic Order, COMPLETE (Corrupt Save))
    Resurrection: Rebirth of the United States COMPLETED!
    CatKnight's Inkwell

Would-be King of Dragons Draco Rexus's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne

Within spittin' distance of the Capital of the Free World
    Congrats and may apologies for not posting that sooner!
    Here... Here There Be Dragons!!
    Women, knights, arms, loves
    Courtesies, bold deeds I sing
    For King and Country - An evil Empire or a benevolent monarchy? You decide!
    Official Byzantine Courtier - as certified by Judas Maccabeus
    Glorification Of Saint Draco Rexus, Patron Of Britain And Dragons! - Thanks to asd21593

They say the best men are moulded out of faults And, for the most, become more better for being a little bad.
    Measure for Measure, Act 5, Scene 1
    Proud Member of the enlightened The Spendid Paradoxian Monarchist Group

Sorry, I shall have to beg a few days indulgence I ended up working extra hours today, and tomorrow can only be described as a day for living in the bookshop. Er, day, and most of the evening too, by the sounds of it. Or all of the evening. Stockroom clearances; it's got to be done and we aren't leaving until it is complete, or so I am told. I don't even know what I am supposed to be doing on Wednesday. Thursday is meant to be a day off, and if so I'll be able to do a bit of reading then.

Now I get to try and cook, wash my hair, have a bath, open my snail mail, and de-junk my email all at the same time. While reading a book. :cries:
    It is impossible to have too many books. Instead one has a lack of space and time.

I feel I have done enough reading across the forums to choose now, and so I shall. The Great Detectives, Spies, and ? Through History! by Amric. The idea behind it all is an unusual one (letting readers decide anything seems to me a most cruel and unusual form of self-torture), the writing first class, and the humour decided it for me.

Now for the less interesting bit.

The idea for 'Eleanor' was born about two and a half years ago. I was teaching myself to write, and I mean that in the most basic sense. I had just been identified as dyslexic at the ripe old age of twenty, and I was determined that no longer would I struggle to write my university essays and exams. I would learn to spell, I would teach myself the grammar my schooling had completely neglected, and I would keep on hammering away until I could finally put my thoughts down on paper. Er, I don't think I really expected any decent results. I ended up trying my hand at fiction because a few people reported that they liked a little comedy short I had posted in a thread about how people had discovered the Total War series of games. Let's just agree that those stories were complete crap, in every way

I started to wonder what to write for my next story. It needed to be themed to Medieval: Total War, to fit the forum I was writing in and because I could not imagine doing anything so daring as trying something entirely my own creation. I wondered what might happen if the princess unit had the abilities of the geisha unit from Shogun: Total War, making it an assassin. The idea appealed, and I started to plan, beginning with outlining my heroine.

I would like to take this opportunity to say "It's not my fault!".

You see, I sketched out only a few details, a few characters, hardly anything of a plot. The rest ... handled itself. That had never happened to me before, even if it is now the way I get all my ideas and characters. I decided Eleanor should be called that by the complex method of closing my eyes and stabbing my finger at a very big list. She would not be yet another beautiful princess. She should fit her role, i.e. not faint at the sight of blood and all that nonsense. A sidekick was needed, a man who could fight, and because Fulk was a rare name in historical fiction I dubbed him that. Categorically, under no circumstances, never ever would there be even a hint of attraction between them! Ever. Too cliché, and entirely too predictable.

That was all my input. So you see, it really is not my fault things turned out as they did.

Except she did not tell me everything. That princess who appeared and started bothering me was keeping things back. Parts of her tale made no sense at all, and great gaps were evident in many places. Some bits even sounded as if she were making it up on the spot, and not doing a very good job of it. Fulk was keeping his mouth firmly shut, probably out of fear. The few other characters I could ‘see’ in the same way were much less substantial, little more than ghost-like wraiths and unable to speak directly to me. I did not pursue it too hard; I struggled enough with what she did tell me, my abilities were so lacking.

With the very incomplete bits I had I started to write, in my crude and fumbling way. The episode I wrote was long, a whole four pages! By the end Nell and Fulk were sending off those predictable romantic sparks. I was not a pleased amphibian. This is where the second thing about my writing established itself. I told them to leave each other alone. They ignored me, and went their own sweet way. This was the first - and very far from the last - time I got trampled by my own work. It has become a familiar feeling, and these days I don’t even resist.

I kept on going, managing I think it was five episodes total. Then this new game caught my attention, Crusader Kings. My game as Ulster in that was sending me an advanced version of what happened with Eleanor - it was setting itself up into a story and pestering me. I had to write it. Eleanor got put to one side. She was not too happy about it.

By the time Blood Red Hand was meeting its fate Eleanor was prodding away at my mind, demanding attention in that delightful way she has. I'd matured as a writer over the months, and she was finally willing to talk. The facade was dropped, no longer did she seem so hyperactive or childish, and when she started to tell me I understood, understood why she seemed so different, and why she had been reluctant to share her story. Fulk also let his act go, the other characters gradually came forward and spoke for themselves.

I started to write again.
    It is impossible to have too many books. Instead one has a lack of space and time.

Would-be King of Dragons Draco Rexus's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne

Within spittin' distance of the Capital of the Free World
    Congrats, Amric!

Nice choice, frogbeastegg!
    Here... Here There Be Dragons!!
    Women, knights, arms, loves
    Courtesies, bold deeds I sing
    For King and Country - An evil Empire or a benevolent monarchy? You decide!
    Official Byzantine Courtier - as certified by Judas Maccabeus
    Glorification Of Saint Draco Rexus, Patron Of Britain And Dragons! - Thanks to asd21593

They say the best men are moulded out of faults And, for the most, become more better for being a little bad.
    Measure for Measure, Act 5, Scene 1
    Proud Member of the enlightened The Spendid Paradoxian Monarchist Group

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultFor The GloryEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    I agree, very nice. Congrats Amric!
    Northumberland Lives - new AAR for EUIV

And check out the Guess the Author thread - back and active!

The fAARq & Forum Rules
    Find all my AARs listed in The Ink Well

Visit my blog at Hear the Hurd

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Europa Universalis: Rome

S. Latitude 47° 9′, W. Longitude 126° 43′
    Blog Entries
    Well done, Amric.
    The Rodina and the Shackles of Humanity - A Soviet HOI3 AAR

"The Italians have a saying, Lemon, 'Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.' And, although they've never won a war or mass-produced a decent car, in this area they are correct." - Jack in 30 Rock

The Fuehrer of the Dance Mettermrck's Avatar
    HoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Darkest HourDeus VultDiplomacyEast India CompanyEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryGalactic AssaultHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossThe Kings CrusadeLost Empire - ImmortalsMagicka
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiVictoria 2
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Hearty, congratulations, Amric, sir!

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Victoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisEU Rome Collectors Edition500k club

It's well deserved, congrats.

Europa Universalis 3For The GloryHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Europa Universalis IV

A belated congratulations to frogbeastegg and a current congrats to Amric!

Joe
    The way to a woman's heart is through her stomach.

Desert Tides or how I learned to swim in quicksand Adventure
    A Tall Tale Told on a Cold Night Fantasy

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus Vult
    DiplomacyDungeonlandEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLegio
    Leviathan: WarshipsMagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome
    SengokuSword of the StarsThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the Roses
    Pride of NationsCK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

A great story, frogbeastegg! And congrats, Amric! The hurricane is back!
    Active:
    Random World Order(EU4, Random)

Past:
    Beyond Tannenberg IV: The More Things Change(EU4, Teutonic Order, COMPLETE (Defeated))
    Beyond Tannenberg III: The Last Crusade (EU3, Teutonic Order, COMPLETE (Corrupt Save))
    Resurrection: Rebirth of the United States COMPLETED!
    CatKnight's Inkwell

Congratulations, Amric!
    "A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in a setting of silver" --Proverbs 25:11

WritAAR of the week: Feb. 12, 2006, Sep. 19, 2006
    CharactAAR writAAR of the week: Jan. 1, 2007

Dawn in the East
    "Her Home is on the Deep"

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneMarch of the EaglesWarlock: Master of the ArcaneEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Bravo Amric!
    "Being a freedom fighter, a force for good, it's a wonderful thing. You get to make your own hours, it looks good on a resume, but the pay sucks."

My current AAR: Regents and Revenge - a CK2 one-shot

Hurricane Sergeant of Arms Amric's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3

Thank you all! This is my third showcase over all, and each time I am gratified that my work still evokes interest and enjoyment. Where did I get the idea for Great Detectives...? In a dream, actually. I had just finished reading a Spenser novel by Robert B. Parker before going to bed. Now I loved the old tv series with Robert Urich and it is one of my favorite genres to read. But you don't see a lot of 'historical' stuff about it. All the sudden I was dreaming about such a thing. Now usually I don't remember my dreams. But this one came about just before I woke up to do my nightly routine of going to the bathroom.

So I wrote it down! Then I thought, 'why not let the readers decide what nation and what type of story it will be?' It had been done before on these forums. ReadAARs Choice is just one of those types. So hey, why not do it in a manner such as that.

So I came up with criteria and let people vote. They did. In droves, actually. I was kind of surprised at the sheer amount of responses. Now that I knew what nation and what the 'plot' would be, I could go forward. I decided to use my three children as the protaganists. I used Candy as the love interest for Erik who is based on a real person I knew some years ago.

Now of course I have gone far beyond the initial basis of the responses the readers first gave. It is a detective story. But it has more aspects to it than that. The humor frogbeastegg mentions is purely coincidence. I remember some of the arguments I had with my two younger brothers as a child and others I remember with cousins<of which I have a LOT> between each other. Hence the interaction between the siblings is as 'real' as I can make it.

I have extrapoloted my children as best I can. Erik<or Eric in reality> won't actually be 8 feet tall. But he will probably get close to seven feet. Spense<or Spenser> will likely be near six and a half feet tall. Kaetlyn<or Kaetlyn> will likely be about six feet tall and large bosomed. Why do I think that?

There is a formula that tells you the approximate height your children will reach. Which is roughly twice as tall as they are at around age 2 1/2. As for Kaetlyn, the poor child is only eight and is already developing a chest. Now I did NOT add in the autism that both Kaetlyn and Spenser both have in reality. It would have detracted from the story. Plus in spite of that they are all truly bright children.

So in essence I am letting my kids wreak havoc in my story. They do it in real life<well not whacking people>. The two boys ARE quite protective of their older sister. And I can EASILY imagine what would happen in the 1400's if what was happening in the story happened to them in real life. I've actually been a little nice about it. I feel in reality there would have been rivers of blood in the streets until Katie was found.

As for the entire story arc. Well I don't really have one. I write as I go and I have a 'vague' idea where the story is going, but on more than one occasion I have been surprised at the direction the tale has gone. But that is one of the joys of writing.

Now when do I go about choosing the next Showcase winner? Isn't it on Monday, or something like that?
    Guardian of Truth, Defender of Justice, Harbinger of Light! Formerly known as the Hurricane!

Now retired from writing!

"You can rest assured, sir, that I will do everything in my power to make sure it isn't my fault!" --Dr. Grant

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3

Congrats my friend. A well deserved award indeed.
    Current AARs:

1) Journey to the Far East - A Free Company Spin-Off (2008)

2) The Free Company Book VII: Closure

Check out my other works at the Inkwell

A proud member of the Free Company. Death Rides with Us!!

Europa Universalis 3

I also wanted to say that I have update Great Detectives twice since I was nominated for this, so you all might want to take a look. We're moving in toward the conclusion of this part of the series.

This is just the first story in a list of them that will be in this idea. The next one will be picked from suggestions from readers, just like this one has been. It will NOT feature the current crop of characters either. So a brand new story will be coming soon with a whole new concept and cast of characters.
    Guardian of Truth, Defender of Justice, Harbinger of Light! Formerly known as the Hurricane!

"You can rest assured, sir, that I will do everything in my power to make sure it isn't my fault!" --Dr. Grant

Europa Universalis 3

I am trying to make my way through some deserving stories in the various fora and I haven't yet reached a decision. This is quite a bit tougher now that we have so many different stories dedicated to so many more games than when I first joined. But I will make a final decision as soon as I can.

Compulsive CommentatAAR stnylan's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor The Glory
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandEU Rome Collectors Edition
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res Publica

Blog Entries
    A little belated but well done amric. I'll have to see if I can find the top to read up on it.
    To view is human, to comment is divine.
    "Be not afraid" - John Paul II
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.
    Current AAR: Stories of King Sean CK2 4.1
    Completed AAR: In Memory of France EU2
    View my full AAR list at The Inkwell
    My library and My blog
    Ask not what AARland can do for you, but what you can do for AARland.

Europa Universalis 3

Thanks again to all of you! I have found an excellent choice for the next Weekly Showcase! It is a wonderful tale by Blodwen called
    Operation Liberation: USA AAR, with a twist...

It is a fantastic story with great pics as well. Come on down Blodwen and accept this prize!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 265 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 35 50 75 100 125 ... LastLast