+ Reply to Thread
Page 148 of 262 FirstFirst ... 48 73 98 123 138 146 147 148 149 150 158 173 198 223 248 ... LastLast
Results 2,941 to 2,960 of 5221

Thread: Weekly AAR Showcase: Durch den Kampf, Uberleben Wir

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultFor The GloryEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Time for a new showcase, methinks.
    Northumberland Lives - new AAR for EUIV

And check out the Guess the Author thread - back and active!

The fAARq & Forum Rules
    Find all my AARs listed in The Ink Well

Visit my blog at Hear the Hurd

Crusader Kings IIHearts of Iron III CollectionVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Congratulations
    The King's First Minister - a UK AAR

Character Writer of the Week 15/12/08
    Character Writer of the Week 10/08/09
    Character Writer of the Week 04/10/09

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultDungeonlandEast India Company CollectionEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III Collection
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneImpireEuropa Universalis III: In NomineIron Cross
    Leviathan: WarshipsThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty II CollectionMarch of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the RosesEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

over two weeks now, time for a new winner?

Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Enewald View Post
    over two weeks now, time for a new winner?
    Indeed. Usually in these cases, the previous winner will nominate a new successor.

The fAARq & Forum Rules

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings II
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III Collection
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneImpireEuropa Universalis III: In NomineIron Cross
    Leviathan: WarshipsThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty II CollectionMarch of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the RosesEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Quote Originally Posted by coz1 View Post
    Time for a new showcase, methinks.
    Someone inform Peter Ebbesen?

Europa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Guess not. As it has been way too long to pass this on, I will take executive action and pass this to an AAR I am surprised has not been picked in the past. But it certainly offers a great moment to use this award for what it was intended - that is highlighting AARs that may not be known by the greater population and deserve some more attention.

Thus I give you Brandenburg III's The Dark Muse. It's an ambitious project and I'm sure he'd love a few more eyes. Head over and take a look. Congratulations Brandenburg III!

The fAARq & Forum Rules

HoI AnthologyEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: Rome

Congratulations

- I have yet to read his AAR completely, but what I have seen so far, inspired by this showcase, seems very promising indeed.

Besides, how often is it that you actually get to know, from the very outset, that you WILL get to see the finish of the story, as it is already written..? It may mean that the story is inflexible from the point of reader-effected story-line, but it means that there is virtually no chance that the AAR is abandoned mid-story, which is nice to know.
    HOI2 AARs:

The Third Reich ~ Last Updated: October 29th, 2009 Twice!! (Ongoing) (SMEP 6.0 Mod) ~ Character Writer of the Week: 17//09/09 & 18/10/09
    Imperial Russia ~ (On Hold) (Kaiserreich Mod)

NOP-field present Moderator Qorten's Avatar
    57 games registered

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings II
    DungeonlandElven Legacy CollectionEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesDivine Wind
    For The GloryGettysburgHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the Throne
    ImpireEuropa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur IILeviathan: WarshipsThe Kings Crusade
    Lost Empire - ImmortalsMagickaMajesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Naval War: Arctic CirclePirates of Black CoveVictoria: RevolutionsSengokuShip Simulator Extremes
    Sword of the StarsSword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler: Cold WarSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesPride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight
    EU Rome Collectors EditionKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderTeleglitch: Die More Edition

Congrats, Brandenburg III! Very well deserved.

When I use this color I am speaking as a Moderator.

200k clubHoI AnthologyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultEast India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis 3EU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Iron CrossLost Empire - ImmortalsMajesty 2Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiVictoria 2Rome: Vae Victis500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Congratulations B3! A wonderful aar that has very well earned the award

Congratulations!
    Probably the best EU narrative AAR that I've been reading!

Romanorum Imperator Augustus asd21593's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteVictoria: Revolutions

Congrats, The Dark Muse!
    My AAR Library
    -not writing at the moment-

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: Chronicles
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House Divided500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Congratulations! I hope new readers make the effort and read it all from the beginning, it's well worth it.
    On-hold: Mamma Mia! The AAR
    Completed: Europe is our dancefloor | The Shortest Road to Damascus | No Iron, One Lion, Maybe Zion
    Tintero

The July AARlander is out now, no excuse not to read it: Thread | PDF | iBooks

A Smooth Operator Brandenburg III's Avatar
    A Game of DwarvesHoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEast India Company Collection
    Europa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIThe Kings Crusade
    Majesty II CollectionRome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordRise of Prussia500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

On the corner of Breaking Hearts & Forgetting Names
    Blog Entries
    Not only would more eyes be nice, Iíd also like to see more monkeys in suits. But I think everyone wants that.

Iím always surprised whenever I see myself put up for these awards, particularly since I donít think too much of my writing.

Thanks to coz1 for giving me the weekly award and for getting this thing back on track. While Iím not much of a comment person, I always look in on these weekly awards when a new winner is announced.

After I saw Muse was in the subject line, I went to the first page of this thread and scanned through some of the first winners to see how things are really supposed to be done. I was surprised to see that not too much has changed. People talk about their AARs, how they came about, etc. But it seems to me they used to do it with more words and description. Iím going to revive that tradition but only because it gets me out of writing my 1500 words for the day.

Iíve broken it up into a few sections below.

What is The Dark Muse About?:
    Iíve read a hundred times that if you canít describe your article or book in one sentence, then you need to simplify. Basically, a book permits some trained people to travel back in time with an allowance to change history. But I can take you deeper than that.

In 1981 JŠnos TakŠcs is a popular Hungarian painter lauded throughout the Western world for his paintings of shorelines, ports and beaches. Twisting such landscapes into a Mannerism style hasnít been easy for him but JŠnos has been rewarded for his difficult work.

On a return trip from Madrid to Budapest JŠnos finds himself in a world of trouble after an emergency landing in Algeria. The Hungarian is kidnaped and taken to an undisclosed location in an abandoned factory in Central/Southern Algeria. It is here where Khayr ad-Din introduces himself to JŠnos. Khayr also introduces the artist to a book.

The book is old and battered but it has great power. For someone trained to read it, it has the strength to alter known history. Unbeknownst to JŠnos, he was trained as a Reader and must form Khayr ad-Dinís paradise or face the wrath of a man bent on global domination.

What Inspired The Dark Muse?: Some from the beginning of this thread have mentioned they were inspired by other writers on the forums for their specific AARs. Unlike them, I had this idea before I began looking into narratives. But when I discovered a few AARs were really stories, I thought I had to try it out.

It took some time but I began tinkering with an idea of a man walking into a centuries old building where heíd take a book out and begin reading it. It would throw him into a world where heíd be able to alter history, much like the story Iím writing now. Originally it was going to be based on Bosnia but as I felt the story drifting, without a clear outline or ending, I scrapped it.

Many months later, maybe a year later, I resurrected the idea with an Algiers game and began writing an AAR about it in November. Again I was careless and didnít write an outline or fill out character sheets. It failed after a few months as it shouldíve.

With this newest interpretation I took the time to think of a title, think of a decent outline, plot how the book worked and wrote out very careful descriptions of all the characters. Outside of the Revolution, this is probably the first AAR Iíve put any effort into. And itís the first AAR Iíve put any thought into.

The Future: Thereís still more to release but I think its end is coming up soon. Since I still tinker with the outline and some of the chapters now and again I canít say exactly how long itíll go on but there is an end. I give it another month or two so you still have time to catch up if youíre new.

How is The Dark Muse Set Up?: Before I started writing the Muse I thought about a few things Iíve read on the forums. About how some AAR writers have trouble writing real book-like chapters once theyíre through with the AAR. I doubted Iíd have the same trouble but I didnít want to risk it and so, I found a median for words per chapter. In private writings I use more but for the sake of AARland and its ďread it quickĒ kind of readers, Iíve placed at least 3000 words per chapter. Most chapters are this size but there are one or two that climbs between 4500 or more.

At the onset I considered my own problems with reading narratives online. I donít like sitting in front of my computer and reading from my monitor so most are ignored. As a solution to people who may share my sentiments, I began laying out pdfs which readers could read by clicking on my chapterís titles. After more than a month I realized the site I used eventually lost the files and most became invalid. However, I recently put together all the chapters in pdf form and will have them here and on the chapter page in the Muse thread later in the week.

If you want to use the pdf, know there are no pictures but the story is the same. The other problem with the pdf is that new chapters donít begin on new pages but such oversights will be fixed upon the projectís completion.

If you read Muse off the paradox site, know I knew little about making pics at the start of the AAR. As it went on I got a little better but thereís still much to learn.

For convenience, on the second post of the AAR, I placed a Chapter page. In addition, so you donít have to keep going back and forth between the chapter and page 1, I placed buttons at the bottom of each chapter to make going from chapter to chapter easier. I was going to have arrows but they wouldnít line up right no matter how much I tried.

As it stands the Muse is just over 43,000 words and with anywhere between 4 - 8 more chapters to go, its many more than the 30,000 I had originally planned. If youíre curious, in the pdf its about 90 pages just so you know what youíre getting yourself into.

Responses:

Doge Robert: There have been a few hiccups along the way. Around the middle of August my computer went down for a bit and I lost about half of my chapters and my character descriptions. Luckily I wrote my outline on paper before I put it on the computer and by that time, I had a good idea of my characterís histories. There are always unforseen events.

The breakdown allowed me to rewrite ideas I had after I completed the AAR. Whether thatís good or bad is for the reader to decide. Even now Iím still going back and tinkering with pieces of the outline and finished chapters that havenít been released yet.

Qorten, XHR, asd21593 & aldriq:
    Thanks all.

Enewald: Knowing how many AARs you read, thatís quite the compliment.

Iíd write more but I have a paint chip eating contest to get to in Pittsburgh. I hear they eat a lot of paint chips out there. A lot.
    My Ink Well updated 30/June Contains AARs, Mods and Projects
    They Call Me The Swede
    HOI II Library Updated through 13 March 2009

Crusader Kings IIMarch of the EaglesVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Mount & Blade: WarbandEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Res Publica

Blog Entries
    Congratz! and most certainly deserved!
    Currently working on: The Decline and Fall of Roman Civilization (EUIV) 3x AwAARds & In the Footsteps of Rome: A History of Europe in Late Antiquity (CKII)
    Volume List for Decline & Fall: Preface | Volume 1 | Volume 2 | Volume 3 (planned)
    Newest AAR: The House of Habsburg In the Age of Empire (EUIV)
    Completed AAR(s):
    The Presidents: Clay to Smith (1836-1920) (History Book, 57 pages, my magnum opus), 7x AwAARd winner.
    Saints and Angels: An Epic of the American Civil War, (Narrative, 22 pages), 6x AwAARd winner.
    My Inkwell! (2 more completed AARs, 5 failed adventures, and brief bio!) | Slow Update Status: The Presidents: Redux
    My AwAARds: 7x ACA AwAARd recipient (6x 1st Favorite), 4x Character WritAAR of the Week, 3x WritAAR of the Week, 3x Showcase, Fan of the week 1/03/09 & 9/02/14 (Full List in Inkewll)
    I am a historian, philosopher, and research economist (BA in those 3 subjects) | "The Church is the foundation and pillar of truth" (1 Tm. 3:15) - ex-Protestant convert to Catholicism.
    The Paradox Historiography Society, a group for historians to discuss theories of history and historical work, and for those interested in the actual professional.

200k clubHoI AnthologyEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiRome: Vae VictisEU Rome Collectors Edition
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k club

Congratulations Brandenburg III
    EUIII AAR: The lilies of France
    Awarded Best Character Writer of the Week 25. Feb 2007
    Awarded WritAAR of the Week 22. April 2007

HoI2 AAR: Enig og tro til Dovre faller Ė A Norwegian AAR
    Awarded WritAAR of the Week 25. Sept 2005
    Awarded Weekly AAR Showcase 25. Jan 2006
    Awarded Fan of the Week 26. March 2006, 7. October 2007 and 10. November 2008
    Boer War AAR: Joeís War- a Boer War AAR

HoI AnthologyEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: Rome

Doge Robert: There have been a few hiccups along the way. Around the middle of August my computer went down for a bit and I lost about half of my chapters and my character descriptions. Luckily I wrote my outline on paper before I put it on the computer and by that time, I had a good idea of my characterís histories. There are always unforseen events.
    He he he.. Fate throws his dice and we can only pray we get lucky..
    HOI2 AARs:

The Third Reich ~ Last Updated: October 29th, 2009 Twice!! (Ongoing) (SMEP 6.0 Mod) ~ Character Writer of the Week: 17//09/09 & 18/10/09
    Imperial Russia ~ (On Hold) (Kaiserreich Mod)

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings II
    Commander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEast India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis 3EU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLead and GoldThe Kings CrusadeMagicka
    Majesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordRise of Prussia
    EU Rome Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Congratulations
    Faith in Humanity Meter - ||||||||||
    The Ink Well

Let's Play M&B Warband 1257AD!

Back from the dead FlyingDutchie's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteVictoria 2

congrats, Brandenburg
    Current work: The Sons of Castille - a Castille CK 2 AAR, The German Empire during the 2nd Weltkrieg - A Kaiserreich DH AAR

Some old (and sadly abandoned) works:
    The plot against Britain - a Kaiserreich mystery,Reconquista! - the exploits of the House Barcelona ,A Short History of the German Empire
    Assorted trophies: - Fan of the week (4-4-2010) - WritAAR of the week (18-10-2009) - Character writer of the week, (25-10-2009), - Character writer of the week (23-5-2010) - Joined first place AARland choice Favorite Comedy AAR 2009 (Q4) - Character writer of the week (11-4-2010) - Lord Strange Cookie of British Awesomenesss

A Smooth Operator Brandenburg III's Avatar
    A Game of DwarvesHoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEast India Company Collection
    Europa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIThe Kings Crusade
    Majesty II CollectionRome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordRise of Prussia500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

On the corner of Breaking Hearts & Forgetting Names
    Blog Entries
    Well, its been a week (or close to it) and after going through a number of AARs I've settled on the Spanish Victorian AAR by Legosim, A JugAAR EspaŮa for the next AAR Showcase.
    My Ink Well updated 30/June Contains AARs, Mods and Projects
    They Call Me The Swede
    HOI II Library Updated through 13 March 2009

200k clubHoI AnthologyEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiRome: Vae VictisEU Rome Collectors Edition
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k club

Congratulations Legosim
    EUIII AAR: The lilies of France
    Awarded Best Character Writer of the Week 25. Feb 2007
    Awarded WritAAR of the Week 22. April 2007

HoI2 AAR: Enig og tro til Dovre faller Ė A Norwegian AAR
    Awarded WritAAR of the Week 25. Sept 2005
    Awarded Weekly AAR Showcase 25. Jan 2006
    Awarded Fan of the Week 26. March 2006, 7. October 2007 and 10. November 2008
    Boer War AAR: Joeís War- a Boer War AAR

+ Reply to Thread