• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, here I am heroically keeping this thread alive! I have been around and about searching out a suitable AAR for this week's showcase. As I mentioned in my own AAR, this has had the beneficial effect of booting me out of a CK rut for a change, but I have to confess that I'm going to cheat a bit and nominate an AAR that I started reading in the CK forum, but which has now been very successfully ported over to EU2. I am speaking, of course, about The Impaler's excellent The Third Bulgarian Empire. Bulgaria is a country I thought of playing after I'd finished my Tunisian AAR, since Bulgaria had been so amazingly good to me as an ally in the closing stages, but fiddling around with starting as somewhere else and releasing Bulgaria as a vassal didn't really appeal to me. Starting with a CK game and playing Bulgaria from 1419 seems much better. I personally enjoy the laidback, humorous style combined with a fairly good pace that means that this story has every chance of continuing to the end. I recommend that you check it out if you haven't yet!

Last edited:
Congrats, Impaler!

Ah, 15th century Balkans, a setting that has always fanned my imagination ever since I first read "Dracula". A story that begins there just begs to be read...

Ah, multusmesc and blagodarya to all. Now I have to find a nominee myself, and it should be a Vicky or a CK one (HoI is a totally closed book to me) Get writing, someone! There are a few good EU2 AARs but CK or Victoria doesn't seem as popular. I might have to bend the rules otherwise... :wacko:

The Impaler said:
Ah, multusmesc and blagodarya to all. Now I have to find a nominee myself, and it should be a Vicky or a CK one (HoI is a totally closed book to me) Get writing, someone! There are a few good EU2 AARs but CK or Victoria doesn't seem as popular. I might have to bend the rules otherwise... :wacko:

I say go with ck. Simply because mine is the only one not to get an award yet :D

The Impaler said:
I fear I must disappoint you, Billybob, because my nomination is in fact for a Vicky game (despite me not ever having played Vicky): sw_myers' Ottoman AAR Trial By Fire.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :mad: :mad:

:D :D All in good fun.

:)

For some reason my wife wasn't as excited as I was when I found out that I recieved this award. I am honored and I want to thank The Impaler for choosing me and to you all for reading my scribble.

billy bob said:
I say go with ck. Simply because mine is the only one not to get an award yet :D

Mine hasn't won yet either ;) but it's all good. :D

Sorry for leaving it so late - in the absence of any nomination from sw_myers for the next showcase, I've been asked to nominate again this week.
This time, damn, I was going to nominate Genghis Who? an Uzbek AAR by Fiftypence but he goes and finishes it. :rolleyes:
So instead, although it's probably getting enough attention already, and sticking with EU2, I nominate instead the scarily meticulously planned Xhosa: A one province pagan minor takes on the world by ws2_32... the early stages especially are worth a read.

Thanks all! This is my first award for an AAR. I would like to thank the Showcase for the recognition and my family and loved ones for putting up with me all these long months as I toiled away in front of my computer screen.

Hey folks!

Before I announce the next winner I want to chat for a post about this award and what it means...and what it costs.

Personally I've enjoyed watching the award passed from veteran to newcomer and back to veteran, recognizing novelizations as well as history texts, humor as well as hard core game play. I think it speaks well of the variety of tastes and wonderful talent to be found AARing all of Paradox's games. I want to thank the readers and writers who's keep this thread going, helped point out AARs that deserve attention, and ..sure.. made these hard working authors feel a little more secure in their work.

There's a price to an award like this, though. If I understand correctly, the original Showcase..indeed, all of the older awards.. faded because interest waned and those administering the awards simply ran out of time or tired of the effort. Even an award that's supposed to run itself....takes a lot of effort when it fails. Waiting. PMs. Messages in games. More waiting. And, in three cases so far it came to naught, once because an author 'didn't have time.'

Perhaps that's not surprising - I have it on good authority that glitches happen ... and if there's no response to an award, then one can certainly wonder if it's fulfilling its purpose .... or if AARland has slipped to the point where multiple awards are no longer viable.

I don't know. I have no answers, and the only question I have is whether this award really does serve a purpose, or if it's taking up space. I do know one way to find out, and that's to scale back my own efforts and see if we fly...or sink. I'll keep updating the front page, but otherwise I'll watch.

An award winner has a responsibility to pick a successor. It took me five minutes to find one in a game I never check, that's reasonable. A reader really should hit 'reply' and congratulate him/her.

Is it fair that this is thrust on us, innocent bystanders who happened across the thread or got nominated without warning? Maybe not.... But being there for your fellow writers isn't about fairness, it's about what's right.

Now then, before we go too far down this path....I do want to repeat my congratulations to the past winners. If you're new to this thread, feel free to check page 1 for a list with links. I also want to thank the readers who made this Showcase work.

Play on!

When choosing this award I thought we'd recognize a game (and community) that hasn't seen a Showcase in awhile.

After some work, I came across The Third Empire - An Imperial France AAR . This is cthulhu's epic describing France during an alternate World War II.

It's massive, and only through 1941...but it's worth reading, if nothing else for a view of what might have been.

Congratulations, cthulhu!