Weekly AAR Showcase: The Christian Kingdom of Sarir - the Forgotten Persian Principality

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
And now it has updates. Although I highly disagree about it needing not a lot of time. Took me forever.

RGB said:
And now it has updates. Although I highly disagree about it needing not a lot of time. Took me forever.

That's just because you did a very good job. :)

And even so, it's a lot of time for a very short time, as opposed to most AARs,
j.

Congratulations to a nice Collab work !

Congratulations to all the writers that have contributed to this. It has been an outstanding read, given all the different writing and playing styles that have given each pope a good individual feel. Keep up the great work guys.

And hopefully that will be enough ego boosting to keep Llywelyn going. :D

Eh, been about a week, guess I should kick the can a little further down the street.

For anyone who hasn't seen it lately, the new Shakespearean ragging going on at Knut is fantasticly done, and MadBadger is reviving The Best AAR Ever for a new generation. But Phargle's already won all these awards :D and MadBadg's just getting started :), so since Myth's phenomenal Guanxi Clique AAR is already wrapped up...

bannerxc1.gif

I'd like to award the weekly AAR showcase to el Pip for his outstanding work on The Butterfly Effect. While the original idea behind this opus was the repercussions of a press leak scuttling the Anglo-German Naval Agreement (or perhaps simply that the public was more properly outraged than OTL), post after post works itself through detailed, well-considered politics, the intricacies of naval strategy, and the ripples growing over time from the smallest changes. Perhaps not for everyone, it's still AARland's Robert Altman.

And who knows, maybe an award will get the punk to post more a little more often... :)
j.

Last edited:
Congrats el Pip. I must admit I have seen your AAR, but it was so far along when I did I have been a little intimidated to wade into it. Might be forced to give it a try now. :D

Congratulations El Pip ! Looking forward to giving it a good read !

So that's where that went! I remember reading that a couple months back, then losing track of it, and looking around for it a few times since then and failing to find it. Thank heaven you put that here!

Congratulations to El Pip as well as Llewelyn (and gang) and Secret Master. Well done, all of you!

Well done El Pip, congratulations :)

Many congratulations El Pip

Congrats El Pip, do you have any words for us?

Congrats!

First off I'd like to express my surprise at this award actually happening, naturally my first thought on seeing this was; "1st of April, this'll be a particularly um-amusing April Fool's day joke." But it wasn't, which was nice. :D

As for the AAR itself, well as Llywelyn has said considered and detailed politics, scheming and planning are what I'm aiming for and what, apparently, I've achieved so far. I like to know why something happened, especially if it's alternative history which, lets face it, almost everything here is to some degree. For instance I don't see many Vicki AARs that end up with a historical WW1 happening do you?

So I try to explain why people do things and make (a)historic choices not optimal gameplay choices. For instance in the war with Italy troops have been left in the Home Islands, India and garrisoning the Suez, not because I don't need more troops in North and East Africa, but because no British government would strip those places bare.

I never expected this to be to everyone's taste; the post's have got longer and more daunting as I've gone along and as it's taken me over a year to get this AAR through less than three months of game the pace is not especially quick. On the plus side I seem to have found a great audience for large naval battles and the details of naval strategy and tactics.

Anyway enough waffle, thanks for the recognition, the award and the extra readers and I'm looking for my successor as I type.

Time to pass this one along, before anyone starts harassing me about it. So following the advice to give it to a different game and ignoring Diplomacy (Dead) and EU3 (Attention grabbing wench) I had a think and came up with:

After Hastings: A Weekly Report from England by Judas Maccabeus

Although it's been going a while I only stumbled on it recently. I recommend it for many reasons; An intriguing counter-factual setup and the weaving of historic events, ideas and aims into the new timeline. That and the maps, I can't resist a good bit of mappage ;) . And he updates far more often than I ever managed.

If that isn't reason enough to showcase an AAR then I frankly don't know what is.