Weekly AAR Showcase: The Christian Kingdom of Sarir - the Forgotten Persian Principality

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I would not complain if you gave the awAARd to 'Fire Warms the Northern Lands' but as it got the awAARd not so long ago and it already have got so much attention I would prefere another AAR. Not that 'Fire Warms the Northern Lands' doesn't deserve it, obviusly it do.

I agree with Snake IV that it should go to something else, not because Fire Warms is undeserving (far from it, in fact), but rather because of the past recognition it's already gotten. I kinda think of the Showcase as being a way to spotlight relatively unheard of AARs. But the choice is yours either way. :)

Hm, guess it's time for a semiformal ruling. ;)

In general I wrote the 'don't nominate the same game' rule for two reasons:

First to avoid one game dominating - not necessarily because HOI or EU are more popular so much as a winner would probably tend to read the same games he writes about, and that could easily turn into a trend.

Second because the awards like this were, I believe, meant to encourage the general Paradox community which includes all the games.

That said, the 'rule' has certainly fallen before, and none doubt 'Fire Warms...' is worthy of recognition. In your shoes I'd choose an AAR from another game, but I'm not going to whine if you'd like to go ahead with a Vicky submission.

Regarding 'Fire Warms...' winning so many accolades: I agree it has, and I'm also of the opinion that the 'Showcase' is better at highlighting and drawing attention to new entries in AARland, but on the other hand that's not a requirement nor stated anywhere. If I recall correctly another AAR's won twice, and certainly 'Writer of the Week', which is also good at highlighting newcomers to AARland, has had plenty of people win twice. I'd say if the only thing stopping you is 'Fire's' past popularity...don't let it.

In general, pick a submission you're comfortable with. If it gets to the point where I think we need to let the Showcase wander elsewhere for awhile I'll pipe up. :D

EDIT: For anyone interested, the master list on the first post is updated. I see EU2 won something like 5 times in a row, then HOI twice, and now Vicky twice. *grin* I wouldn't worry about Vicky getting too much attention.. Go with an AAR you enjoy!

Last edited:
congratulations DerKaiser! ! :)

CatKnight: ...In general I wrote the 'don't nominate the same game' rule for two reasons:

First to avoid one game dominating...

Second because the awards like this were, I believe, meant to encourage the general Paradox community which includes all the games. /CatKnight

an unspoken advantage is that this award exposes those of us who tend to only read one AAR list to the other lists. ;)

i originally came to these fora only for HOI, then i saw a sig-link to 'Fire Warms...' (in Rensslaer's sig) and checked it out! ! then, other links led to other AARs, both within and out of the forum involved. and i am grateful! ! :cool:

CatKnight: ...That said, the 'rule' has certainly fallen before...EDIT: ...I see EU2 won 5 times in a row, then HOI twice, and now Vicky twice. *grin* ...

personally, i am sure that we will be happy with whatsoever DerKaiser does! ! :D

lastly, welcome back CatKnight! !

Isn't it time for a new one?

So... yes it is time for a new one, and I've thought about it a little... Well, from HOI2 I'd like to nominate something which I think is less popular, as it appears to have slipped onto the second page just now, but as far as I know it is being updated.

I haven't had time yet to post a comment, but I've been following and I intend to do so ASAP (probably tomorrow as I'm just off out for the evening soon). The AAR is 'Clash of Titans: Germany, Britain, and the Coming of the Great Wars' (I don't know if that makes it into a link, I don't know how, maybe someone can do it...), by CSL_GG. Although it's an HOI2 AAR, it seems so far to be an alternative history, and CSL_GG is at the moment taking it through the late 19th Century. So far I've got into this one, but there are loads of others so if you're writing an AAR right now, just assume I'm enjoying it! Clash of Titans hasn't got too far yet, which is why I thought giving it the Showcase could encourage CSL_GG to really make it a good one!

I'd also quickly like to say a mention to Rensslaer's 'Fire Warms the Northern Lands', which this week ended (it's in an epilogue now), and which I reckon is one of the best AARs around. Also, everyone should check out the one Diplomacy AAR going right now, because it's very good and it gets rather overlooked...

Anyway, I pass the Showcase on to 'Clash of Titans: Germany, Britain, and the Coming of the Great War', congratulations to CSL_GG...

Congratulations, CSL_GG!

Aye, this is a good choice.

Congratulations, CSL_GG! :)

<applause>

Good going CSL_GG! Now, don't loose your steam after the back story this time! ;)

Congrats CSL, you deserve this :cool:. So, tell us about yourself....why that screenname?

Nice choice, congratulations CSL_GG :)

Congratulations

Why thank you everyone, I always get that warm fuzzy feeling whenever my work its particularly singled out.

I got my ideas for Clash of Titans after reading Dreadnought by Robert K. Massie time month, his keen eye for details and personalities quickly made me want to write an alternative historical AAR. I'm looking to make this even more detailed than Mundus ever was, but still have the modding issues remain relatively minor when I need to get down to that.

As DerKaiser said, I am making my way through the late 19th century, just finishing the Siege of Paris tonight. So far i've been only showcasing the Prussian/German perspective, but that will change in the next week or two, as I begin to shift to the British. (It will keep shifting until I get to the game itself).

I am looking forward to it already CSL.

Great stuff. Top show. :)