• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thank you, TristamShandy! I really appreciate this! And congratulations on your work/win!

I'm having a BLAST writing Serenity -- my first new AAR in a while. Really appreciate everybody who comes by to comment!

We're a little off cycle, and I notice Malurous marked me as receiving this 3/31, so I'm happy to have a little more time to consider my successor. There are so many great AARs out there, many by new authors. I'll enjoy looking through a number of them.

Thanks for the congratulations, folks!

Rensslaer

From a Forum history and promotion standpoint, all/most of these "showcase" and "...of the week" threads were started to put the spotlight on individuals and AARs, to try to "spread the love" by highlighting interesting AARs, reward participation, etc.

In most of these (and I assume the intent was there in this thread, though it's not spelled out in the opening post), the author is supposed to say a little bit about themselves and/or their work. I think many people know me, so I'll skip that part (in brief, I'm a writer/editor by trade from Denver, Colorado, with a political background and a recent passion for web content strategy -- I was fortunate enough to get hired by Paradox to do the strategy guides for EU III, EU Rome, HOI 3 and Victoria 2) and just talk about my AAR in hopes that others who are showcased will do the same. I think it helps build the community, and gives someone a reason to go look, other than just that "x has been featured -- some AAR he's writing". :)

The concept origins of Serenity come from my study of World War II, and my study of Japanese history in the 19th and 20th Centuries which came as what I saw an obvious adjunct to the study of WW II. In studying the history of European trade with Japan, and the "Black Ships" who "opened" Japan, I saw a fascinating reaction among the Japanese.

They seemed to say, "Very impressive -- you've shown that you can probably destroy us. Now, if WE took this technology, and learned your ways, then WE would be able to destroy OUR enemies in the same way." And that concept seemed to me to have driven alot of Japanese history during that 100 year period. They went from "uncivilized" and largely isolated, if not largely ignorant, of the rest of the world, and they used the realization of western capabilities to emulate the western powers in order to become more like them.

That, of course, is what allowed Japan in 1904-5 to utterly SHOCK the world by defeating Russia in the Russo-Japanese War. And, from there, of course, they acquired colonies throughout the Pacific by being considered a contributory power in WW I, and then by WW II they had one of the most respected navies in the entire world, and felt confident enough to project power throughout the Pacific and into China.

That's an inspiring history for fans of games like these -- a sort of rags to riches story -- and so I felt it would make a compelling AAR. So it goes... :)

Thanks, for anybody who's been reading, and I'd certainly love to encourage anyone to come check it out!

I'll be in touch Sunday with a new showcase winner, and will be on the lookout in the meantime. Thanks again, to all!

Rensslaer

Sounds like another winner, Renss. One of my favorite "hmm" moments of world history in school. Propelled me to study history in general from there. Congrats Old Chum. :)

A great choice for a showcase. I particularly enjoyed your treatment of what was one of the great 'heel-turns' of history, the Japanese recognition that the world powers were never going to leave them alone - and therefore they needed to be a great power themselves, without regard to how many traditions had to be uprooted and thrown on the trash heap.

Congratulations!

In passing on the weekly showcase, I wanted to find an AAR by an author who hasn't been recognized recently. It occurred to me that there is a GAME that hasn't been featured recently (actually NEVER!). :)

And I've found a number of AARs in that forum which are of very high quality, but which don't get much traffic because few people have this game.

In the Sengoku threads, I found Quest for Kyushu - A Matsura Clan AAR, by Riccardo93.

His AAR really makes me want to buy Sengoku. It looks (I may be reading in) like sort of a CK-style personality-driven game, just set in feudal Japan. I can't tell 100% whether the game is providing rich details for him to write about, or if he's filling that stuff in from his imagination, but either way, Riccardo93's writing fully fleshes out a believable story of an ambitious noble who wants control over his region of Kyushu (or, ideally, the whole thing!). It's an enjoyable narrative (historybook style, I'm just saying he provides a great story besides), with or without the game.

And his simple but well-chosen illustrations that accompany the story really draw the reader in.

Please congratulate Riccardo93! And PLEASE go visit his AAR! He has precious few comments for such a well-done AAR! It's worth keeping track of long term, and while you're there, please also check out other enjoyable AARs by others.

Congratulations, Riccardo93! :) Please tell us something about yourself, and your AAR! And please remember to pass this award on to another in a different game-forum in a week's time (and let that person know)! Enjoy your week in the spotlight! (he may not appear until Weds -- he's indicated he is busy until then)

Rensslaer

Congratulations Riccardo93! Good to see an AAR from the lesser-known realms of AARland getting its time in the spotlight.

Riccardo93 wrote an AAR and I wasn't informed?! Congratulations!

Riccardo93 wrote an AAR and I wasn't informed?! Congratulations!

:D Avindian, as a demi-moderator, can you change the thread title? Please?

Thanks!

Renss

:D Avindian, as a demi-moderator, can you change the thread title? Please?

Thanks!

Renss

Completely forgot; in the process of doing it now. :blush:

Congratulations Riccardo93!

Thanks guys; love you :)

After a few hours of scouring the forums, I've chosen to nominate Lex Curiata De Imperio by EtzelHoveri! His AAR has been chock full of interesting occurrences, and has been proceeding much more evenly than my own.

Last edited:
Congrats EtzelHoveri! It's an interesting start certainly, and it's good to see AARs for less "mainstream" games get some deserved recognition.

As an aside, when people nominate the next winner a link to the AAR would be appreciated - it makes it easier for us mods to list the winners and, more importantly, makes taking a look at the AAR more convenient for everyone in the thread. In this case, Lex Curiata De Imperio is here.

Congrats Etzel!

Congratulations, EtzelHoveri!

I had actually pulled up your AAR last week, and have it sitting on my computer here waiting to read. Rome is so overlooked!

Rensslaer