• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hey folks!

First, I want to again congratulate TC Pilot and encourage him and you to leave feedback on his wonderful AAR.

As you may realize this edition of the Showcase is now eleven months old. (There was an older, I believe moderator run effort where they'd pick one and link to it.) The fact we've lasted this long in the ever-changing atmosphere of AARland is a testament to your perseverance and interest in what's out there.

It's a matter of record there was a time I despaired for the Showcase's survival this summer. I can't tell you how pleased I am I was wrong. The Showcase has exposed me to many gems out there I may not have seen otherwise.

Happy New Years to everyone!

EDIT: And I just realized that Jape's our first double-Showcase winner of the current era! (There were previous showcases, I think run by the moderators, but I don't have those records.) Congratulations for that Jape!

Last edited:
Well, isn't this a fine surprise. It seems this AAR is turning out quite profitable as far as awards go.

Chronological Influences II was, obviously, inspired by its predecessor, Chronological Influences. The first story ends with our lovable Soviet tyrants escaping in time, with the second story picking up immediately where they left off, which happens to be America as of 1836. Being the sorts they are, they can't miss this oppurtunity to cause more havoc in the timeline.

I feel I should be as brutally honest with you all about this as I can. Compared to the first, CI2 is an uninspired, unmotivated pile of garbage in my eyes. Until very recently, when the game finally started giving me some interesting possibilities, I had been very hard pressed to simply have things to write about. The very nature of Victoria itself makes a character-based AAR, instead of a history book format, difficult in that years can pass between updates, whereas in CI1, updates could be hours or days apart.

I write AAR updates as I play the game, so I don't have much in the way of a long term plan, so you can at least expect in-universe characters and narrators to make bad predictions from time to time :rolleyes:

Hopefully, things will start getting more interesting for me as 2006 continues along. Thank you for your support in this endeavor. Let's see where this takes us.

If I left anything out that you'd like to know, please ask. :)

Congrats TC Pilot...

Nice to see a Viki AAR doing so well, I don't pop in there so much as I should.

Congrats, TC! Good work.

And I must compliment you that you seem to have a remarkable record of updates. There are days when the only thing that MOVES on the whole Vicky board is your AAR!

Renss

Way to go, TC. I promise that some day I will get around to finishing CI-II. As always, not enough time to read the longer ones which sucks. But I know you've been working on this one for a while and good to see it getting some larger exposer outside of just Vickie. Congrats!!

Congratulations TC Pilot. Another AAR to check out. :)

Congratulations Evens. :)

Congratulations!

:eek: *blinks* Well I wasn't expecting that, actually tbh when I opened the thread from subscribed I thought it *was* the Revanche thread :eek:o I've never been showcased or anything before, so thanks a lot TC Pilot :D

What to say about Revanche... it's a few bells and whistles account of the Great War from the perspective of France, with no characters or plotline beyond that of the game- I've tried more ambitious projects before but I think I lack the maturity as a writer to carry out a grand project just yet. I started the AAR in part because I thought it was a good game, and in part so I can finally have a finished one under my belt!

For a brief synopsis- the game is now in mid 1915, war broke out in 1914 as per usual, but the Schlieffen Plan's offensive was stopped in Belgium (due to a dodgey AI I feel... I did have the agressiveness on weakling though). In Russia we also find a stalemate, albeit a lot more fluid, swirling around in Russian Poland. Serbia is clinging on for dear life against Austria holding only a few provinces now, some cut off in the Austrian hinterlands, and Russia and Turkey are in stalemate on their border whilst the middle east has been ignored. All in all the game has ground to a bloody attritional stalemate, but did you expect anything less? :rolleyes:

Things look set to change however, a dark period for the Entente appears to be over with the joining of Italy on their side. France and Italy are preparing to barge past the light Austrian defences on that border and push for Serbia, whilst 6 French divisions are set to form an expeditionary force which is planning to land in Montenegro, currently subject to a large offensive from the Austrian Army under Archduke Friedrich.

Many thanks again :eek:o