Weekly AAR Showcase: The Christian Kingdom of Sarir - the Forgotten Persian Principality

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
'Sins' is an unbelievable first AAR by Alhazen...unbelievably good. I've also watched this one closely and for one thing, I'm amazed and a little chagrined at both the quality and consistency (time wise) of his updates. If you turn your back for a moment he's there adding another post or two to his epic and once again you're left trying to catch up.

The characters are well rounded, and Alhazen abandons the 'good/evil' line of most fiction in favor of believable characters in a believable eleventh century atmosphere. You can tell the story's an AAR because events cause the tale to take some odd turns, but seeming without effort he weaves them into the greater story and you can tell, somewhere deep beneath and only half-guessed at, is a wonderful plot .... and just as well no one, not even Alhazen I suspect, is certain where it will end.

WELL done Alhazen.

Congrats Alhazen! I've really been enjoying your AAR and it is a great pick to be showcased for those that might not have seen it yet. Go read it...do it now! And speaking of that...I think I need to pop over and catch up on what I missed of it while out of town.

Congratulations old mate. Breat stuff. :)

Alhazen,

Having read the first couple of updates, I am very impressed! I shall have to continue keeping tabs on this!

Congratulations! Very well deserved, Alhazen, and very well chosen, Mett!

Rensslaer

Rensslaer-- Thanks, and I hope you keep reading. My earlier posts were rather crude, and I think my writing has improved much in just the time Ive been doing this AAR. Besides, it doesnt get exciting until at least page 3 or 4, if I remember! :D

And now, the ceremony of investiture will begin...

I must admit Ive had a hard time finding a successor this week. There are so many good AARs out there, in the EU2 forum, the Victoria forum, etc..and so little time to read really any of them. I had several possible choices on my 'short-list'. I wish there were more authors who played CK, as it is my favorite era, but EU2 is just as good. Anyways. Without further adieu, the winner of the weekly AAR Showcase is

Byzantinum: A Pheonix Rising by CSL_CG

This tale is vastly entertaining with its historical style, and has not even gotten out of the prolonged prologue yet. Good work for the author. You should look into it if you havent seen it yet.

I'll have to make sure and check it out, especially since it sounds early on in the AAR. Congrats CSL_CG!

Very good so far, and its definatly "going places". Nice one. CSL!

Thank you all for your kind words, its been nice to have such recognition of my writing over the past few months - though it has been nothing but prologue. I'm hoping to quickly (relatively) get into the real game with this AAR.

The reason I decided to start on a Byzantium AAR is due to the fact of John Julius Norwich and his incrediably entertaining and insightful Byzantine trilogy that i'm currently working through and he's really sparked my interest in the Empire to both my and your pleasure. :)

A lot of people have been sad that I seem to have given up on my other AAR, but that should only been temporary I hope. For the time being however, I hope those peeps can enjoy my other offering. :D

Also, I managed to get a monster update out tonight just for this. Enjoy.

Finally about my handle - its CSL_GG :p I'd change it to plum ole' CSL if I could though, since thats what I go by everywhere else.

er...righto about your handle then...um..**runs away** :rolleyes:

Youre right about Norwich, very readable. Ive read his history of Venice and am now reading his "The Normans in Sicily" for research on my own AAR. I have all three of his Byzantine books, simply havent been able to start them yet. Maybe overseas. Anyways, again congratulations, CSL!

CSL, I'd been meaning to congratulate you! I love Byzantine stories, and I've been reading yours. Good job!

And Lanlier, congratulations to you as well!

Rensslaer

Congrats Lanlier. A great AAR and thus a very deserved honor for it being highlighted.

Yes, well done Lanlier! Because of CK's dynastic engine the game has so much trouble handling a true historical outcome. Your efforts so far are wonderful!

Thank you everyone! It's an honour to recieve awards and recognition for my writing, especially since I've done so little!

Anyway, my apologies for not getting round to recommending the next showcase earlier, I've been stupidly busy with work. *sigh* No one told me the working world was like this!

Anyway, my recommendation for the new weekly showcase is Carmina Tolosarum by Lucius Sulla. I've found his use of graphics to aid the story brilliant, if a bit time consuimng on my crappy 56k connection!

Congratulations, Sulla!

That really is quite an effort you're putting on over there. Quite interesting to read (well written) and visually interesting (especially since I'm not familiar with CK yet).

I notice in some of your later posts that you are also doing some rather heroic crusading, including modifications and editing of the save games to better reflect what's going on. I'm quite impressed at your skill and patience!

Keep it up!

Rensslaer

Sulla, your AAR has been one I have been meaning to read for quite some time after perusing it a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, my slow modem hinders me as well. But I promise to get around to it as it seems you have spent quite a bit of time on it's presentation and output. Congrats on this showcase as it is surely deserved!

My slow modem hindered me as well, but this AAR is quite enjoyable and while searching for an end date to put on this thread's front page I found myself scanning his maps and reading his descriptions of a mid-twelfth century crusade and counter-jihad with rapt attention.

The maps - and no doubt other graphics - are very well done and Sulla's put together a number of custom house rules to (hopefully) make the CK engine act more logically. For example, if a kingdom can't reasonably supply and support one of its far flung counties/colonies...he hacks the save file and releases it.