• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Congratulations Yogi! I remember glancing through Fu Manchu early on, now I see it's time to go back and see what it became!

Yogi, I've been hearing here and there of the legendary "Fu Manchu" story, and have always meant to read it.

Now that I know more about it, I'm even more intrigued! I'll have to make my way over there and take it in.

Congrats!

Rensslaer

Conga Rats, Yogi!

It's time for me to pass the torch of this award. Given the RL events of this last week, I havn't had time nor the inclination to look very far or long for a successor, but fortunately I haven't had to, since pure gold (in the form of Roman Solidii) is flowing from Mettermrck's pen in the EU 2 AAR The Eagles of Avalon!

I admit freely that Mettermrck's past fame is what made go and read this piece, and that there are sure to be many other gems lying undiscovered in the dark places of AARland, unfairly ignored due to the obscurity of their authors. Nevertheless, this story is something special. I can especially relate to the initial hero, Roman officer Remus and his quest to restore the Empire. I have always had a soft spot for lost causes.

Congratulations, Mettermrck!

Yogi - given your circumstances this past week, it is all the more tribute to you as a person that you find the time to keep this tradition running in the midst of all that. Thank you sir and our thoughts are still very much with you during your time of grief!

And a fantastic story you have decided to highlight. I have just myself read through this wonderful AAR in the past few days and it is certainly another brilliant effort by Mettermrck. Congrats on the showcase, my friend, and thanks for yet another great tale that you have given us. If folks have not yet read, then they need to right now!

Well, I’m truly humbled to have this AAR honored in such a fashion. Thanks to Yogi and all the other readers who’ve read and enjoyed this potentially epic alternate history set in a time of Empire and changing times.

The Eagles of Avalon began as a mental exercise. I was trying to contemplate a story where good fought good and it was tough for the readers to necessarily take sides. And in the weird passages of my mind, I came up with King Arthur vs. the Roman legions. I liked them both so I didn’t necessarily root for either one. So, I envisioned a short story about a battle between King Arthur and the Britons (probably after they’d thrown back the Saxons) against an invading army of Roman legions come to reclaim their lost province. Of course, my first attempts were horribly inaccurate as I still used Imperial legions better suited to the 1st century CE as well as Arthur and his knights in plate mail as in the movie ‘Excalibur’. I never finished the story, but you can see a piece of it in the Prologue to the AAR.

From this little short story, which is where the title came from, I began to think of the background for this. How did the Romans ever get there? Why had they survived so long? What happened after 476? What was the reality of King Arthur? What years should I place this battle of mine? One question led to another and took me back to the end of the Western Roman Empire and the fall of Romulus Augustulus in 476. I traced a path from that time up to Britain in 513, and began to flesh out a story. And I began to discover how fascinating this time period really is. The slow degradation of Roman power and tradition in the west as well as the rise of the early Church was captivating to me. This is one of those time periods you rarely see portrayed and I was hooked.

Eagles of Avalon is still very much in its infancy, so there’s definitely opportunity to catch up and watch the story unfold. The main character I’m portraying, Remus, is perhaps a classically honorable character, though I struggle to avoid the Spartacus or Maximus stereotype. And though I’m a huge fan of the Colleen McCullough ‘Masters of Rome’ series, I’ve had to do a lot of research on Roman life and customs in the 5th century, where the legion and toga were on their way out. There’s also things like naming conventions, the end of paganism, the status of various landmarks in history, what the city of Rome looked like in the 5th century (not good). I have to mention an invaluable helper in this, Bagricula, who reviews my use of Latin, which is poor on its own merits. Osprey military books are also a godsend for learning the militaries of this era.

The story is half history and half novel because I’m trying to develop my skills as a writer of historical fiction. Yet I love the history aspect as well, which is why you see the posts split in the two fonts and storylines. Anyhow, I go on at length because I feel a certain pride in the story and have had nothing but fun since I started it. Thanks everyone!

Hear Hear! I just recently stumbled upon your work myself, Mettermrck. Ive found it immensely entertaining and read it in one sitting. Can't wait for the rest. Your use of grahpics is the style I love myself, and the writing is first class. Congratulations and well deserved.

Mettermrck... Congratulations!

As I'd mentioned, I've begun reading (and I hope you intend to continue... ?) your American Revolution story, and was very impressed. I'd also poked around your HOI epic.

I haven't gotten to Eagles of Avalon yet, but rest assured that I will! Especially now that I hear the rough outline for it. Sounds like a fascinating project, and a great time period. Interested to see how you adapt EU II to work in the 6th Century.

Put that Chi Rho to good use! ;)

Rensslaer

Mettermrck said:
The story is half history and half novel because I’m trying to develop my skills as a writer of historical fiction.
Excellent to hear. I'll check out the AAR. I know anything you write is going to be a treat.

Congrats.

LD

I think Mets tail is absolutely beyond spiffin. One of the best AARs I have ever read, anywhere.

Yogi: I'm also very grateful you were able to find a successor in the midst of all that's happening. Good luck with that, and thanks!

Mett's Avalon AAR is one of those on this forum that leave me insanely jealous and wishing I could write half as well. I became hooked on Mett's writing in 'Advantages Without Obligations' and he continues his excellent work here. Mett's attention to historical detail, personalities, and running his game as he thinks the characters of those time would have remain as strong as ever.

I'm still warming up to Remus: He's the dreamer who wants his Empire back. In a way I'd love for him to succeed, but I think the tides of history are too strong at this point...and there's a time when you need to stop wishing for the past and work with what's left. But perhaps that time isn't now.

A great setting and a wonderful story. Even if Remus or the Romans never make it to Britannia for that fabled showdown with King Arthur, it's still going to keep me hooked. Remus' dogged pursuit of his Holy Grail, the mythical Roman Empire of yore, while all around him that very same Empire is rapidly disappearing, is a great tale to follow.

Well, time to pass on the gilded baton, or some such device. :) Having recently had the opportunity to read some excellent AARs in each sub-forum, I found a nice gem in the Crusader Kings subforum. It's an excellent story and game, which features rich historical drama amidst concurrent storylines. The characters are vivid, the events exciting, and I keep hoping to learn how these differing characters will eventually interact. So, I'd like to pass on the Weekly AAR Showcase to Sins of the Father: A Duchy of Apulia AAR by Alhazen. Bravo, sir! :)

What a great choice. I caught up to it last week, and I'm definitely hooked on the brilliant tale and cunning characters that Alhazen has crafted. :cool:

Wow, thanks Mettermrck, I can think of nothing more humbling than following your own great story that I just caught up on today after reading most of it last week.

And thanks to all to continue to read my sloppily crafted ad-lib story! I had no idea it would take off the way it has when I began writing, and am continuously myself surprised at what events unfold as I have no story design to speak of. Maybe one day if hashed out and structured, it would make a fine plot for a real historical novel--which, I might say, have never been written about the Hautevilles to my knowledge.

Mett, have no fear. Different character plots will begin to merge very soon. Events begin to pick up now that our hero has reached Monte Cassino and begins searching for the proof of his heritage. Stay tuned! :D