• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Congratulations Sir Clive, good on you!:)

Well... what to say? First off my humble thanks go to Lord E for presenting me with this award. Once again I am shocked that my writing has been picked out of the wealth of talent that resides upon this forum.

Then I must thank all those people who have cajolled, badgered and otherwise enticed me to update the AAR. Also thanks to the EUII vets for giving me encouragment (Coz1 Met & BBBD) on my first EUII AAR and also to those who have followed my work from HOI (Lord E again :) ).

For those that have not read it yet, I'd like to appologise for my rampant nationlism and cynacism. It is an English AAR that stretches from 1419 to WWII, it shows that the country is largley run on the basis of grabing as much money as possible. At the start it is really a 'historical' record of English history, with only minor changes. Later, however, there will be much more of a divergence from History, especially as I will try to lead England and later Britain with the motto of "Tolerance, Political Liberty & The rule of law" in my thourghts.

Were up to Henry VIII and his break with Rome at the moment and my personal hero Thomas Cromwell (no relation to the other one ;) ) assending to great position in his court. I'm really enjoying writing it and can only hope that others are enjoying reading it.

Lastly I'd like to thank Simon Schama (for his 'History of Britain') who once again, along with this forum, gave me the 'history bug' and to my English History tutor Mr Colinson (from Upton High School, for those who know) who gave me a terrific insight into the period.

Well I must go and update now I suppose ;) I hope you enjoy reading in the future the tales of a 'clasical liberal' who knows that money made the Empire.

And now ladies and gents if you would all raise your glasses and join me in the traditional toast...

"God save the Queen!"

Last edited:
Congratulations, SirClive!

That's quite an ambitious project you've chosen for yourself, there!

I'll have to drop by and take a look.

Rensslaer

Snake IV said:
Isn't it time to give the title to a new AAR now?

It is indeed...

Firstly I must appologise for my new absence but what with the new flat and job, it's been totally hetic.

Secondly I'd like to be the first to congratulate CatKnight and his absoulty great Resurrection: Rebirth of the United States

Once again I appologise,

Your obediant servant

Sir Clive

Nice work CatKnight, it is well deserved. Congratulations :D

It's about time you got a showcase for the wonderful work you have been doing on Resurrection for quite some time now. An outstanding AAR that should be read by all. Congrats, CatKnight! An extremely worthy pick!

OOh! Wonderful choice!

Innocent of foreknowledge of this award for your magnificent tale, I just moments ago recommended this story to FJ44!

It's long! I'm on page 9 now... but I'm getting there!

Congratulations, Catknight!

Rensslaer

Congrats, CatKnight! Well d..

..er...wait a minute... :eek:o

Thanks, Sir Clive! Much appreciated. :)

Resurrection is my masterpiece, burden, and probably every other description you could add up to this point in my writing life. It's at least ten times longer than any of my previous (non-AAR) efforts, and my readers have been with me through every triumph and downward spiral for the past...my God, it's almost two years old. More than once it's almost ended, to the point where my readers have openly wondered whether my villian is plotting against me...and each time it's come back.

Resurrection started with a series of HOI games where I realized that, if let to its own devices and the Soviet AI didn't steamroll Germany, the game would inevitably last until 1948... especially if the US either stayed neutral or simply fought a non-Axis Japan. After a game of Allenby's Great War scenario, I realized this also tended to end in a draw unless one of the powers got very lucky.

So I could imagine a scenario where, without US intervention World War I ended in a draw. Germany suffered in the intervening years anyway, and when the Nazis took power they were that much stronger ... but not strong enough for Operation Sealion. World War II turned into a stalemate in the west, and finally they started trading atom bombs. Why would the US not be around? Well, I'd just finished an enjoyable EU2 game with the American (1773) scenario and I wondered what would have happened if I had LOST.

I took a screen print from my HOI game where Britain and Germany traded bombs and started writing about our hero, a 'regular' guy who was transported by forces unknown to 1772 precisely to prevent the atom-bomb stalemate that would wreck his world. What would it feel like to effectively lose everything he knew, and be sent to a world that at best belonged in the distant past? Could he keep it together long enough to save his own world?

From there the characters started piling on. Preston started because that name is in the American generic leader file, and I thought it might be nice to follow his advance from 'average kid' thru general into old age. (At the time I thought Resurrection would go til 1820, and in 1820 Preston would be about sixty years old.) He quickly developed his own personality.

Mr. Black and friends came about very simply: If 'someone' cared enough to send our hero through time to make sure the Americans succeeded, that implied 'someone else' wanted the atomic stalemate. He first tried working through an operative, but when that failed took matters into his own hands. He's now on the verge of total victory...but he hasn't won yet.

Resurrection is by far the darkest story I've ever written. Along with the obvious good/evil elements, it also asks whether security at the expense of liberty is worth it. Not so long ago Director dredged up a quote by Franklin about that, and he tied into the current theme perfectly.

For those who wonder at John Preston's current attitude, ask yourself that question...then look at his newborn daughter. Which would you choose? And are you sure you'd be right? It's easy to be an idealist when you have nothing to lose.

Ironically perhaps, I think that hidden deep (especially right now) Resurrection is really about hope. Heyward keeps getting knocked down. He keeps making mistakes. He has a supernatural force that wants his hide! But if he keeps trying, if he doesn't give in to despair and maintains his personal sense of right and wrong... then he can still win. It ain't over until I say 'The End.'

On a personal note, I'll add that Resurrection has taught me ... so much about writing. A little about plotting and character development, but far more about trusting your characters and letting them do what they will. Time and time again my characters, or the game itself, have completely surprised me...and without fail it's made the story better. (If that much more complicated.)

Once more, thank you Sir Clive, and thanks especially to my readers. I really appreciate what you do for me.

Congrats Catknight, I'll be reading it after typing this.

Cat, truly a well deserved and to long in coming award, sir. Resurrection is truly a masterpiece and well worth the reading, I've even recommended it to some friends who have no idea about our games.

I doff my hat to you sir, and commend you!

Congratulations, Catknight. I've put your AAR on the top of my to-read list. :)

Congrats, Catknight! I've been meaning to read your AAR for a while. It may take me some time, though, as it is quite long... ;)