Weekly AAR Showcase: The Christian Kingdom of Sarir - the Forgotten Persian Principality

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I prepared a response earlier today, and it was - if I may say, and who better could? - brilliant. Insightful into the human condition, witty, trenchant with meaning, sheer artistic virtuosity glittering on every word, in short a masterpiece. I wept tears of joy and amazement at my own awesomeness, which is no small feat, I assure you, for I am quite familiar with my magnificence and am usually unmoved by the scintillating grandeur that marks even my smallest effort. But this was absolutely a cut above my own best, which makes it incomprehensively stupendous... and lost to the 'server not available' jinx. Even though no new effort can compare to that lost masterpiece I feel compelled to try, so I will dry my tears and commence anew.

:p

I was recently telling coz1 (who is my good friend and unsparing critic, for only a good friend will tell you what he really thinks and what you need to hear) that 'Special Providence' was very different for me, both in the way I approach it and in the work itself. For one, it is better planned and structured, more tightly bound so that only the necessary parts are added to the machine. Unlike 'Frontier', where the story 'arc' was a straight line, and unlike 'Here There Be Dragons', which rambled wherever the whim took me, 'Special Providence' was about 75% mapped before the first post went up.

For another it is less energetic and passionate than my former work, and I do think the increased planning is related to the lower emotional tone. But I made the conscious decision to study the craft of wordsmithing, and passion is I think best given its rein after the writer has the skill to harness it. For yet another reason, most of the first twenty-five years of the story is taken up with introducing the characters and setting the stage for what may - or may not - be the American Civil War. And for the last, because I have discovered that I really enjoy writing in 'history book' style and am reluctant to write dialogue. Ironically, it was to improve my skills at character-building and creation of a unique dialogue voice that I started this AAR... so obviously I have a good deal more work to do in that department. Make no mistake, creating strong characters and giving each its voice while simultaneously trying to tell a complicated story of the most active period in American history is really, really hard, at least for me.

At any rate, I do appreciate the honor and it is certainly nice to be recognized. I hope my tale has given you some small amount of pleasure and I thank you all for your good wishes and support! Please remember that the reading may appear to be free here in AARland but in fact it is NOT: the price of admission is a comment. Please leave a token in every AAR you read. :)

Congrats Director!

It's that time again. As much as I have enjoyed the honor, I can take great pleasure in pointing out a superb AAR from a gifted author. If you like a little humorous attitude and you're in the mood for a gameplay AAR then allow me to recommend:

Screaming Popes by Merrick, an EU III AAR that sums up what we've always suspected about the Papal States.

Enjoy!

Congratulations Merrick !

Congrats merrick. It's a good old fashioned game play AAR with plenty of your trademark humor and wit. :)

Nice work merrick. Congratulations :)

Congratulations merrick!

Congratulations to all those who have won in my absence, and congratulations to the current holder, merrick.

Congrats merrick. "Screaming Popes"...sounds like a punk band. Might have to check it out for that reason alone. :D

Well, this has taken me longer than it should have, but thank-you Director, and thank-you to everyone who has posted here. It's feedback like this that keeps a writer going (this one, anyway).

Oh, and while "Screaming Popes" is apparently a band name, it originally refers to a series of pictures by the 20th century artist Francis Bacon (and that is the AAR's only connection to high art).

I will review current AARs and post a nomination at the weekend. Really. Promise.

Congratulations. Love the title.

Congratulations, merrick! :)