Weekly AAR Showcase: The Christian Kingdom of Sarir - the Forgotten Persian Principality

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Congrats, Jon Young. The AAR sounds very interesting. I'll have to give it a look see.

Congratulations, Jon Young! Great choice!

I also have been following this AAR for a few weeks now (having developed a sudden and rapt fascination with Japan... again).

It is VERY well done, well illustrated -- worth checking out, even if you're not into this sort of thing!

Oh, and I should add it's realistic -- not just a conquestfest like some AARs about Japan and other aggressive nations can become.

Rensslaer

Well done Jon Young, congratulations :)

Golly, I don't know what to say :D

It's been a great experience to finally earn my spurs as far as AAR writing goes. I spent so many months lurking and basically getting all the alternate history goodness I could take that I felt I owed a contribution!

I'd like to thank Juste, naturally (medal in the post...), and I'm also particularly glad to see my little history described as realistic. Thanks Rensslaer! I hope I can keep things believable for a while yet ;)

It's actually the biggest challenge when writing this sort of project, I find. In the case of Japan and WW2 there's been a lot of (esp. economic) determinism in the historical study. America had more factories, therefore they won, that sort of thing. But history is a matter of random chance, and we simply justify it afterwards. If Japan had won, we'd be saying of COURSE the side with the most 'Spirit' won, it's only common sense... So I'm trying to make it seem like that could have happened... By saying that Japan was not as well prepared for war as it could have been. The 'Real' (tm) Japan made a lot of bunk choices :D

Before I write pages (which I should be doing to my AAR right now!) I'd just like to invite anyone out there with real know-how about the Japanese war machine to pop along and ask questions! I'm surrounded by reference but with all the pic editing I'm always too lazy to use it :rolleyes:

Thanks again, and since I'm off work for at least a week from monday - should be plenty of action!

Last edited:
Very many congratulations. I will have to go and check it out.

Jon Young said:
Before I write pages (which I should be doing to my AAR right now!) I'd just like to invite anyone out there with real know-how about the Japanese war machine to pop along and ask questions! I'm surrounded by reference but with all the pic editing I'm always too lazy to use it :rolleyes:
Well, tragically, I get the impression from multiple sources of an ongoing conflict between the western military ideal in Japan, and the Bushido spirit ideal.

There were certainly learned, and qualified, generals in Japan. They accomplished alot! But there also seemed to be a sense that if they weren't accomplishing RIGHT THEN, that they were doing something wrong and should try harder.

This is what led to the Japanese Army (or Navy, probably) following a well thought-out and strategically/tactically based policy... Then getting an itch for glory or combat or whatever, and just doing a full-out, dangerous charge!

I do not understand it, but it seems to come up again and again in the histories I've read. The impulse to seek honor far above the preservation of one's own life seems very strong, such that it often overwhelmed good military sense. And in the end it killed the Japanese Army and Navy.

Just my observations, since you asked. :D

And, naturally, I hope that you can do one of two things: 1) faithfully represent this handicap, or 2) steadfastly overcome it and bring your empire to victory! Naturally, if you could do both, it would be even more impressive.

Rensslaer

Rensslaer said:
Well, tragically, I get the impression from multiple sources of an ongoing conflict between the western military ideal in Japan, and the Bushido spirit ideal.

There were certainly learned, and qualified, generals in Japan. They accomplished alot! But there also seemed to be a sense that if they weren't accomplishing RIGHT THEN, that they were doing something wrong and should try harder.

This is what led to the Japanese Army (or Navy, probably) following a well thought-out and strategically/tactically based policy... Then getting an itch for glory or combat or whatever, and just doing a full-out, dangerous charge!

I do not understand it, but it seems to come up again and again in the histories I've read. The impulse to seek honor far above the preservation of one's own life seems very strong, such that it often overwhelmed good military sense. And in the end it killed the Japanese Army and Navy.

Just my observations, since you asked. :D

Rensslaer

Great, that's exactly the sort of thing I had in mind!

The sad fact of our timeline is that the vast majority of the 'learned; generals etc you mention above were actually driven out of active service in the late '30s. This included the majority of those who had spent significant periods overseas - more of an issue for the navy than the army. As you say, their training in the current western military thinking made them suspect in the eyes of an increasingly, rabidly, Japanist leadership.

It wasn't a purge, but the effects were not so dissimilar. The emphasis on training and individual bravery especially in the army did tend to push Japanese officers into using bold offensive strategies, even when these were ill advised, but in my opinion the problem was much more that they had little else to fall back on. Heavy equipment, air support, modern command / control systems... The Japanese had none of it. In fact even their guns were terrible. British troops were amazed when they examined captured weapons in Burma that the Japanese had fought as long as they did!

This left the Japanese infantryman himself as the only truly effective weapon available. One which was used more and more heavily as the war became increasingly desperate. For example, Japanese late war anti-tank tactics:

Dig a hole. One man crouches in the hole with a 500lb aircraft bomb (no bombers left) and a rock. When a tank drives over the hole, he hits the nose of the bomb with the rock. Logical... but chilling.

It comes down to the fact that the war for Japan was pure desperation. There were instances of, shall we say, excessive enthusiasm where losses could have been avoided - but in most cases these tactics came about through a lack of realistic alternatives.

I'm hoping that General Higashikuni, the wonder disciplinarian, can keep his subordinates from doing anything too stupid!

A late congrats from me too ;)

General Jac said:
A late congrats from me too ;)

And from me as well. I have been following your AAR and really like the style of it :)

Snake IV said:
Exactly. And preferibly you should pick it sometime yesterday ;)
He's probably busy accepting his NEW award, as WritAAR of the Week! :D

Rushing from one stage to the other...

Rensslaer

Snake IV said:
Exactly. And preferibly you should pick it sometime yesterday ;)

:eek: I'm here! I'm here! ;)

I would like to nominate 'Legacy of Durham' - County of Durham, 1066
by Revan86.

http://www.europa-universalis.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246795&page=1&pp=25

A really nice piece of work, and I think it's worth putting the spotlight on the wierd and wonderful world of CK aars, as they're likely to be overlooked in these days of EUIII and Ricky :D Also, I note Revan86 joined us in May this year, making the quality of the AAR even more noteworthy.

Kudos!

Ahh, yet another CK AAR I need to ctach up on. :) Congrats on the showcase!

A good AAR, about a good subject. :)

Congratulations Revan86, nice to see a CK showcase :)

An excellent little AAR.