• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A great story, frogbeastegg! And congrats, Amric! The hurricane is back!

Bravo Amric!

Thank you all! This is my third showcase over all, and each time I am gratified that my work still evokes interest and enjoyment. Where did I get the idea for Great Detectives...? In a dream, actually. I had just finished reading a Spenser novel by Robert B. Parker before going to bed. Now I loved the old tv series with Robert Urich and it is one of my favorite genres to read. But you don't see a lot of 'historical' stuff about it. All the sudden I was dreaming about such a thing. Now usually I don't remember my dreams. But this one came about just before I woke up to do my nightly routine of going to the bathroom.

So I wrote it down! Then I thought, 'why not let the readers decide what nation and what type of story it will be?' It had been done before on these forums. ReadAARs Choice is just one of those types. So hey, why not do it in a manner such as that.

So I came up with criteria and let people vote. They did. In droves, actually. I was kind of surprised at the sheer amount of responses. Now that I knew what nation and what the 'plot' would be, I could go forward. I decided to use my three children as the protaganists. I used Candy as the love interest for Erik who is based on a real person I knew some years ago.

Now of course I have gone far beyond the initial basis of the responses the readers first gave. It is a detective story. But it has more aspects to it than that. The humor frogbeastegg mentions is purely coincidence. I remember some of the arguments I had with my two younger brothers as a child and others I remember with cousins<of which I have a LOT> between each other. Hence the interaction between the siblings is as 'real' as I can make it.

I have extrapoloted my children as best I can. Erik<or Eric in reality> won't actually be 8 feet tall. But he will probably get close to seven feet. Spense<or Spenser> will likely be near six and a half feet tall. Kaetlyn<or Kaetlyn> will likely be about six feet tall and large bosomed. Why do I think that?

There is a formula that tells you the approximate height your children will reach. Which is roughly twice as tall as they are at around age 2 1/2. As for Kaetlyn, the poor child is only eight and is already developing a chest. Now I did NOT add in the autism that both Kaetlyn and Spenser both have in reality. It would have detracted from the story. Plus in spite of that they are all truly bright children.

So in essence I am letting my kids wreak havoc in my story. They do it in real life<well not whacking people>. The two boys ARE quite protective of their older sister. And I can EASILY imagine what would happen in the 1400's if what was happening in the story happened to them in real life. I've actually been a little nice about it. I feel in reality there would have been rivers of blood in the streets until Katie was found.

As for the entire story arc. Well I don't really have one. I write as I go and I have a 'vague' idea where the story is going, but on more than one occasion I have been surprised at the direction the tale has gone. But that is one of the joys of writing.

Now when do I go about choosing the next Showcase winner? Isn't it on Monday, or something like that?

I also wanted to say that I have update Great Detectives twice since I was nominated for this, so you all might want to take a look. We're moving in toward the conclusion of this part of the series.

This is just the first story in a list of them that will be in this idea. The next one will be picked from suggestions from readers, just like this one has been. It will NOT feature the current crop of characters either. So a brand new story will be coming soon with a whole new concept and cast of characters.

I am trying to make my way through some deserving stories in the various fora and I haven't yet reached a decision. This is quite a bit tougher now that we have so many different stories dedicated to so many more games than when I first joined. But I will make a final decision as soon as I can.

A little belated but well done amric. I'll have to see if I can find the top to read up on it.

Thanks again to all of you! I have found an excellent choice for the next Weekly Showcase! It is a wonderful tale by Blodwen called
Operation Liberation: USA AAR, with a twist...

It is a fantastic story with great pics as well. Come on down Blodwen and accept this prize!

Congrats Blodwen! This is simply more proof that I do not have enough hours in the day to read all the great work being done around. I must take a look at this AAR of yours. Enjoy the spotlight.

Amric, I want to offer belated congratulations to you!

And Congratulations, Blodwen! An interesting premise you've adopted.

Rensslaer

Congratulations to Amric for last week’s showcase.

And congratulations Blodwen for this week. Well done both of you, good work :D

Thanks guys, and special thanks for the nomination by a triple showcase winner.

As for the AAR, I guess I'll write a mini-description (Spoiler free) for it. It's about a world created by me in which the Nazis triumphed over Britain in 1940, and had wrapped up their war with the Soviets by mid-1942, effectively leaving the free world entirely dependent on the armed forces of the United States, and with Germany in reach of world conquest. I played as Germany till I got the bitter peace, and after that switched over to the United States and began a crusade of democracy against the Axis dominated Europe. If you want to see what I was up against, just click on the AAR and look at the second post, it's a lot of red.

This idea may not be genius or particularly revolutionary (though I have noticed a few new AAR's springing up with this style, but probably not influenced by me) but it was the first of it's kind AFAIK, which is probably the reason it has been so successful. The idea itself sprouted from two things, first of all is that I find all games incredibly replayable, you just have to play it in another way. Stuff like that just adds a little more fun for me. The second is my love of the underdog, like all of us. If you've read El Saviors Finnish AAR from a while back, you'll notice how great it is for him to build up the tension as little Finland prepares to fight off the Reds (he got butchered, but it was a good read). In my AAR, I wanted to do something like that but I decided to add the element of having a chance. I wanted an uneven balance of power, but not overwhelmingly in one direction.

I also didn't want to concentrate on the single nation played in the AAR, and as I was forced to move into purely speculative alt-history it allowed me to represent the view of as many nations as possible- nowadays in the AAR I'm writing as much if not more from the enemy's perspective than from that of the USA.

Finally, I'd like to say that as soon as I get back to writing about the more interesting parts of the now in speculative history format "AAR", then updates can come out faster. Right now I'm kind of stuck thinking about how to write about a bunch of boring but essential stuff, which is in the way of me getting down the zillions of ideas I have for 1944.

The AAR will be returning to actually being an AAR (though a history section will remain, as before the savefile deletion) after I get the Doomsday scenario editor and put it to effect, along with new events etc. Expect me to end my history style on quite a cliffhanger, and a set up for a good game.

And thanks again guys. For those who haven't read the AAR, do it now.

Congratulations Blodwen, I've greatly enjoyed your AAR.

I'm back to give my vote.

Well, I'm not sure if I'm breaking the rules by doing this, but I'd like to nominate a brilliantly written AAR which ended mere hours after mine was put in the showcase.

The winner is: The Great Game: MP AAR

It really caught my eye with its Saga style, and I'm looking forward to its second installment, as the Norwegians move into a new era, and a new game (EU2).

Well done King of Men!

Congrats King of Men!

A really good story and a well deserved winner. Congratulations King of Men :)