+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 264 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 34 49 74 99 124 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekly AAR Showcase: Mini Venice

congratulations CatKnight
    The Precise History of New England -AAR Writer of the Week 5/21/06-2/28-06
    doot doot doot 4D6574 Owner of 1 Yoyo dollar, $4-anonymous4401
    Fan of the Week 2/8/06-2/15/06

Was he free? Was he happy? The question is absurd:
    Had anything been wrong, we should certainly have heard.

The Fuehrer of the Dance Mettermrck's Avatar
    HoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Darkest HourDeus VultDiplomacyEast India CompanyEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryGalactic AssaultHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossThe Kings CrusadeLost Empire - ImmortalsMagicka
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiVictoria 2
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Congratulations on your masterpiece, CatKnight, sir.

Crusader Kings IIHearts of Iron IIIEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Victoria 2Rome: Vae Victis

OOh! Wonderful choice!

Innocent of foreknowledge of this award for your magnificent tale, I just moments ago recommended this story to FJ44!

It's long! I'm on page 9 now... but I'm getting there!

Congratulations, Catknight!

Rensslaer
    Serenity - (V2 v1.3) - An isolationist Japan tries to stay out of everybody's way (Updated July '13)
    Kriegsgefahr (Impending War) - (HOI3/SF/HPP) - Germany attempts to remain at peace! (Updated Apr '13)
    Locarno - Italy vs. Germany (HOI3/SF/HPP) - What if Mussolini stood with France against Hitler?
    The Die is Cast (Roman Civil War) - Caesar will make a name for himself! (Updated June '12)
    Império Novo - An Axis Portugal AAR for HOI 3 (Updated May '13)
    Fire Warms the Northern Lands - A Prussian Victoria 1 AAR (Awarded the VictAARian Cross for Jan-Jun 2006)
    Castles In the Sky (Vicky 1) * Sforza!!! - A Milan AAR (EU III) (Updated May '13) * I Am Siam (V2 Minor) (tied for Silver VictAARian Cross for Best AAR completed in 2011) * A Long Time Ago... (HOI 1 Argentina)* Check Rensslaer's Inkwell! (list of online writings)

200k clubAchtung PanzerHoI AnthologyCities in MotionCrusader Kings II
    Deus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLeviathan: WarshipsMagicka
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiThe Showdown Effect
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcanePride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Hear, hear! Well done, Cat! It's a great story, here's hoping there will be much more still to come.

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus Vult
    DiplomacyDungeonlandEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLegio
    Leviathan: WarshipsMagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome
    SengokuSword of the StarsThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the Roses
    Pride of NationsCK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Congrats, CatKnight! Well d..

..er...wait a minute...

Thanks, Sir Clive! Much appreciated.

Resurrection is my masterpiece, burden, and probably every other description you could add up to this point in my writing life. It's at least ten times longer than any of my previous (non-AAR) efforts, and my readers have been with me through every triumph and downward spiral for the past...my God, it's almost two years old. More than once it's almost ended, to the point where my readers have openly wondered whether my villian is plotting against me...and each time it's come back.

Resurrection started with a series of HOI games where I realized that, if let to its own devices and the Soviet AI didn't steamroll Germany, the game would inevitably last until 1948... especially if the US either stayed neutral or simply fought a non-Axis Japan. After a game of Allenby's Great War scenario, I realized this also tended to end in a draw unless one of the powers got very lucky.

So I could imagine a scenario where, without US intervention World War I ended in a draw. Germany suffered in the intervening years anyway, and when the Nazis took power they were that much stronger ... but not strong enough for Operation Sealion. World War II turned into a stalemate in the west, and finally they started trading atom bombs. Why would the US not be around? Well, I'd just finished an enjoyable EU2 game with the American (1773) scenario and I wondered what would have happened if I had LOST.

I took a screen print from my HOI game where Britain and Germany traded bombs and started writing about our hero, a 'regular' guy who was transported by forces unknown to 1772 precisely to prevent the atom-bomb stalemate that would wreck his world. What would it feel like to effectively lose everything he knew, and be sent to a world that at best belonged in the distant past? Could he keep it together long enough to save his own world?

From there the characters started piling on. Preston started because that name is in the American generic leader file, and I thought it might be nice to follow his advance from 'average kid' thru general into old age. (At the time I thought Resurrection would go til 1820, and in 1820 Preston would be about sixty years old.) He quickly developed his own personality.

Mr. Black and friends came about very simply: If 'someone' cared enough to send our hero through time to make sure the Americans succeeded, that implied 'someone else' wanted the atomic stalemate. He first tried working through an operative, but when that failed took matters into his own hands. He's now on the verge of total victory...but he hasn't won yet.

Resurrection is by far the darkest story I've ever written. Along with the obvious good/evil elements, it also asks whether security at the expense of liberty is worth it. Not so long ago Director dredged up a quote by Franklin about that, and he tied into the current theme perfectly.

For those who wonder at John Preston's current attitude, ask yourself that question...then look at his newborn daughter. Which would you choose? And are you sure you'd be right? It's easy to be an idealist when you have nothing to lose.

Ironically perhaps, I think that hidden deep (especially right now) Resurrection is really about hope. Heyward keeps getting knocked down. He keeps making mistakes. He has a supernatural force that wants his hide! But if he keeps trying, if he doesn't give in to despair and maintains his personal sense of right and wrong... then he can still win. It ain't over until I say 'The End.'

On a personal note, I'll add that Resurrection has taught me ... so much about writing. A little about plotting and character development, but far more about trusting your characters and letting them do what they will. Time and time again my characters, or the game itself, have completely surprised me...and without fail it's made the story better. (If that much more complicated.)

Once more, thank you Sir Clive, and thanks especially to my readers. I really appreciate what you do for me.
    Active:
    Random World Order(EU4, Random)

Past:
    Beyond Tannenberg IV: The More Things Change(EU4, Teutonic Order, COMPLETE (Defeated))
    Beyond Tannenberg III: The Last Crusade (EU3, Teutonic Order, COMPLETE (Corrupt Save))
    Resurrection: Rebirth of the United States COMPLETED!
    CatKnight's Inkwell

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    March of the EaglesRome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Pride of Nations500k club

Congrats Catknight, I'll be reading it after typing this.
    When I give the poor food they call me a saint, when I ask why the poor have no food they call me a communist - Dom Hector Camara
    Out of the crooked timber of humanity, No perfect human was ever made - Lord Hoffmann

Would-be King of Dragons Draco Rexus's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne

Within spittin' distance of the Capital of the Free World
    Cat, truly a well deserved and to long in coming award, sir. Resurrection is truly a masterpiece and well worth the reading, I've even recommended it to some friends who have no idea about our games.

I doff my hat to you sir, and commend you!
    Here... Here There Be Dragons!!
    Women, knights, arms, loves
    Courtesies, bold deeds I sing
    For King and Country - An evil Empire or a benevolent monarchy? You decide!
    Official Byzantine Courtier - as certified by Judas Maccabeus
    Glorification Of Saint Draco Rexus, Patron Of Britain And Dragons! - Thanks to asd21593

They say the best men are moulded out of faults And, for the most, become more better for being a little bad.
    Measure for Measure, Act 5, Scene 1
    Proud Member of the enlightened The Spendid Paradoxian Monarchist Group

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneMarch of the EaglesWarlock: Master of the ArcaneEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Congratulations, Catknight. I've put your AAR on the top of my to-read list.
    "Being a freedom fighter, a force for good, it's a wonderful thing. You get to make your own hours, it looks good on a resume, but the pay sucks."

My current AAR: Regents and Revenge - a CK2 one-shot

200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Divine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Victoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisEU Rome Collectors Edition500k club

Congrats, Catknight! I've been meaning to read your AAR for a while. It may take me some time, though, as it is quite long...

Excellent work, CatKnight! Have read your AAR, and it is great!
    "A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in a setting of silver" --Proverbs 25:11

WritAAR of the week: Feb. 12, 2006, Sep. 19, 2006
    CharactAAR writAAR of the week: Jan. 1, 2007

Dawn in the East
    "Her Home is on the Deep"

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus Vult
    DiplomacyDungeonlandEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLegio
    Leviathan: WarshipsMagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome
    SengokuSword of the StarsThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the Roses
    Pride of NationsCK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Hi, folks!

Sorry for the delay, but life in general kept me very busy. Plus, the award made me popular with the girlz

Speaking of which, selecting my successor was easy. This AAR's been around a long time, and I was surprised to realize we'd never recognized it. Therefore, I am pleased to announce this Showcase goes to:

The Machiavellian Adventures of Princess Eleanor, a wonderful tale of medieval politics and mayhem by frogbeastegg!
    Active:
    Random World Order(EU4, Random)

Past:
    Beyond Tannenberg IV: The More Things Change(EU4, Teutonic Order, COMPLETE (Defeated))
    Beyond Tannenberg III: The Last Crusade (EU3, Teutonic Order, COMPLETE (Corrupt Save))
    Resurrection: Rebirth of the United States COMPLETED!
    CatKnight's Inkwell

Fat Cat Public Servant Sir Humphrey's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesHearts of Iron III
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2
    Pride of Nations500k club

Late congrats Catnight, and congrats frogbeastegg.
    Showcase of the Week March 30, 2004 - The Australian Lion.
    Writer of the Week March 6, 2005 - Under the Crimson Skies.
    Writer of the Week May 29, 2005 - The Sacred Grove of Britannia.
    Showcase of the Week January 17, 2006 - Under the Crimson Skies.

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDiplomacy
    East India Company CollectionDivine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Congratulations FROGGY!!! DW

(Oh, and you too Catknight! )

edit: Typos forever!

200k clubHoI AnthologyEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiRome: Vae VictisEU Rome Collectors Edition
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k club

Congratulations frogbeastegg well done
    EUIII AAR: The lilies of France
    Awarded Best Character Writer of the Week 25. Feb 2007
    Awarded WritAAR of the Week 22. April 2007

HoI2 AAR: Enig og tro til Dovre faller – A Norwegian AAR
    Awarded WritAAR of the Week 25. Sept 2005
    Awarded Weekly AAR Showcase 25. Jan 2006
    Awarded Fan of the Week 26. March 2006, 7. October 2007 and 10. November 2008
    Boer War AAR: Joe’s War- a Boer War AAR

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneMarch of the EaglesWarlock: Master of the ArcaneEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Congratulations, frogbeastegg! Yet another great AAR I must finish.
    "Being a freedom fighter, a force for good, it's a wonderful thing. You get to make your own hours, it looks good on a resume, but the pay sucks."

My current AAR: Regents and Revenge - a CK2 one-shot

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultFor The GloryEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    I've been enjoying this CK AAR since the start. A great tale, and a great showcase. Congrats eggy!
    Northumberland Lives - new AAR for EUIV

And check out the Guess the Author thread - back and active!

The fAARq & Forum Rules
    Find all my AARs listed in The Ink Well

Visit my blog at Hear the Hurd

Crusader Kings IIHearts of Iron IIIEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Victoria 2Rome: Vae Victis

Great choice, Catknight! I have read some -- and mean to read all -- of this magnificent AAR!

You might want to PM Froggy, though... I don't think she checks this main forum very often...

Congratulations, Froggy! Very much deserved!

Rensslaer
    Serenity - (V2 v1.3) - An isolationist Japan tries to stay out of everybody's way (Updated July '13)
    Kriegsgefahr (Impending War) - (HOI3/SF/HPP) - Germany attempts to remain at peace! (Updated Apr '13)
    Locarno - Italy vs. Germany (HOI3/SF/HPP) - What if Mussolini stood with France against Hitler?
    The Die is Cast (Roman Civil War) - Caesar will make a name for himself! (Updated June '12)
    Império Novo - An Axis Portugal AAR for HOI 3 (Updated May '13)
    Fire Warms the Northern Lands - A Prussian Victoria 1 AAR (Awarded the VictAARian Cross for Jan-Jun 2006)
    Castles In the Sky (Vicky 1) * Sforza!!! - A Milan AAR (EU III) (Updated May '13) * I Am Siam (V2 Minor) (tied for Silver VictAARian Cross for Best AAR completed in 2011) * A Long Time Ago... (HOI 1 Argentina)* Check Rensslaer's Inkwell! (list of online writings)

Thank you

If I understand this correctly, I have until ... er, about tomorrow to choose another AAR, preferably one which has not been chosen already? And I am supposed to say a bit about the story, how it came about, and so on?

Yes, probably dumb questions with a capital 'd', but my life is filled up with crazy working hours at present and I'm having to cut all kinds of corners, which I don't like
    It is impossible to have too many books. Instead one has a lack of space and time.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Europa Universalis: Rome

S. Latitude 47° 9′, W. Longitude 126° 43′
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations, frogbeastegg.
    The Rodina and the Shackles of Humanity - A Soviet HOI3 AAR

"The Italians have a saying, Lemon, 'Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.' And, although they've never won a war or mass-produced a decent car, in this area they are correct." - Jack in 30 Rock

+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 264 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 34 49 74 99 124 ... LastLast