• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ok. What version of HoI2 will match me to what is being played online. Is the standard something other than v1.2? if so, why do I get the incompatiblilty prompt every time? not everyone can be running some odd mod

1.2(YQHQ) is standard, and it's what my group currently uses. Many others have done their own patch for the reinforcements bug, using 0.4 or 0.45. This changes the checksum, and you get something other than YQHQ next to your version number on startup.

Step 1: ipconfig

From the cmd prompt, using windows XP, type the following:

ipconfig

Two bits of info are important, the Default Gateway IP address, and the IP address. The Default Gateway is the IP address for your DSL modem, cable modem, etc. The IP address is not your "real" IP, but your NAT that resides behind the "gateway" to the Internet, your modem.

They should look like this:

NAT IP address 192.168.x.x

Default Gateway 192.168.x.x

OK, when you say cmd prompt, do you mean start/run then type ipconfig? if so, all that happens is a small ms dos black screen pops up for half a second and disappears. No info able to be retrieved. What exactly do you mean cmd prompt? I use windows XP

Heathcoat said:
Step 1: ipconfig

From the cmd prompt, using windows XP, type the following:

ipconfig

Two bits of info are important, the Default Gateway IP address, and the IP address. The Default Gateway is the IP address for your DSL modem, cable modem, etc. The IP address is not your "real" IP, but your NAT that resides behind the "gateway" to the Internet, your modem.

They should look like this:

NAT IP address 192.168.x.x

Default Gateway 192.168.x.x

OK, when you say cmd prompt, do you mean start/run then type ipconfig? if so, all that happens is a small ms dos black screen pops up for half a second and disappears. No info able to be retrieved. What exactly do you mean cmd prompt? I use windows XP

Click Start, select the run option with your mouse, in the diallog box labeled open, enter "cmd." This will pull up the cmd line, from here, enter the command ipconfig, and go from there... :)

my problem

Normaly this is a common problem for when me and my friends play but its easily fixable because I have a dynamic IP thus I have to occasionally adjust my DMZ to play HOI2 HOWEVER yesterday it changed, my ip is the same say 192.196.1.2 and my DMZ is set to it, nothing changed with ZOne Alarm and I get the "unable to find host game at 24.XXX.XXX.XX please etc etc" message. I've tried everything, unplugging and replugging my router, reseting both hard and soft my router and modem restarting my computer NOTHING I TRIED IS WORKING!!! The only different thing that happened is that I installed a second version of Hoi2 1.2 so that I could play with random people not just my friends with our modded version? Any help or suggestions please...

oh ya

for your instructions for port forwarding my router uses a Trigger port then the type (TCP/UDP) then the range then the type and then enable or not. What are the triggar ports?

Sid Meier said:
for your instructions for port forwarding my router uses a Trigger port then the type (TCP/UDP) then the range then the type and then enable or not. What are the triggar ports?

Refer to Step 3, all of the port ranges are listed there. In addition, if you have a dynamic IP from your ISP and it changes, use www.showmyip.com, this will list your public or WAN IP that you can use for direct connections with other players.

thanx teheath

Step 5: Direct IP play

Select the Internet option from in game. If you are hosting, provide your WAN IP to your opponents. They in turn enter this into the IP space provided in game, and they select the Join option. If everyone has set their options as in Step 3 and Step 4, everyone should be able to join.

I can not guarantee all the above will work, since every user’s situation is different. Thus, this is why Paradox does not go into great detail on MP setup. Legally, they would be open to all sorts of issues. I too will post the disclaimer that if you run into trouble, get hacked etc, that you did so, fully knowing the risks going in. All of the issues making this game so difficult to use MP are the result of the world we live in.

Many game manufacturers that support online gaming spend thousands of dollars to invest in servers that do all this work in the background, and function as the server hosting your game. In the realm of Paradox, the host’s computer is that sever, thus you have to go thru all of this pain to make it work.

Hope you enjoy the MP experience, if you would like to ask me a specific question in regards to MP, send me a personal message thru the forum and I’ll try to help as best I can. If you wish to add to this post with comments and or questions, please do so, and I will try to respond promptly.

Good luck and good gaming to all…..[/QUOTE]

I just wanted to say thanx Teheath. I had given up trying to play online. While I havn't gotten on yet , at least I know it's possible. Good lookin out.!

Lan Matches

Using a Ethernet Router

Can you use the same game/cd, like playing a lan match using same cd?

Urgh, I know next to nothing about Computers and the internet, why by god does this game have to be so difficult in that regard? :(

I'm confused about the step involving configuring routers.... how would one contact one's ISP? is there a method of finding one's password/username some other way?

I must say that with my previous router, an SMC 7008 vbr, I entered 47624 as trigger port and 2300-2400 as triggered range. I'm not sure if you need the 47xxx-range in some routers.

In my current router, a Linksys wrtgs I must use DMZ, and from what I have heard most Linksys routers require this (even though there is a port triggering option, which does not work). I reccomend using a software firewall while your computer is placed in the DMZ.

Help

Damn

what the hell is that

I just cant play.

My friends got a router too and hes able to join any game, he dont need to do all this shit that I dont understand.

HELP

I fixed firewalls and cant join any games. I use 0.4 manpower factor, wich give UPHQ version. 1.2

I never had problem to join any game in multiplayer game.

Never.

And I dont just play big titles...

anyone of you know superpower 2 ?

anyway

help me with HOI2 MP

Last edited:
Any chance to play on shared connection?

Hi there!

I know you said it's not possible o play on a shared cpnnection, but as you only mentioned it briefly, I thought there might be a little chance left ;)

So : is there any chance? We have 2 players on a shared connection and 1-2 players on seperate IP connections. Is it possible to play if one of the non-shared PCs hosts the game? Or via Valkyrienet maybe?

Thanks for your answer(s).

I too am not sure I understood that also. I have a cable modem and a SMC router. My understanding is that the router provides numerous IP's and that players in a LAN via a one modem could play with others in a online game. I have done this with other games. Is this not possible with Paradox platforms?

i can play online because i was able to reinstall my adsl router in modem mode, not router mode... other people cannot do this for a number of reasons.

it pisses me off so much that all these great games come out, that you need an uber connection to play, yet half the people cant play them because they have the uber connection that is needed to play. u wouldve thought paradox would find a way around this bullshit. GG

Cant connect!

Well, i am in an internet coffee.The ports are all open, no firewall is on, i have the right version but when i try to connect to a host it says that cant find his IP address. What can be the problem here?

ZyXEL Prestige 600 Series

If someone owns this modem I wish they could write a detailed guide for how to do port forwarding in this one. I know how to open ports through NAT settings, by going to the web-setup or telnet. But I'm afraid, I don't know how to, if it's even possible with this modem, to open multiple ports at a time. Because in the NAT settings there's a list of 8 places and you can choose there the port you want to open. But you cant type in like 1000-1000 'cause there is room for only 5-numbered ports.

It's, umm, hard to understand, isn't it? Anyway.

De Montbray said:
Urgh, I know next to nothing about Computers and the internet, why by god does this game have to be so difficult in that regard? :(

I'm confused about the step involving configuring routers.... how would one contact one's ISP? is there a method of finding one's password/username some other way?

Sorry, I didn't answer these earlier, been real busy as of late.

Well know, the only way to get the password info is from your ISP. On your bill there should be a customer service contact # of some kind. Try and get to a human, then to tech support.

Gormigust said:
Hi there!

I know you said it's not possible o play on a shared cpnnection, but as you only mentioned it briefly, I thought there might be a little chance left ;)

So : is there any chance? We have 2 players on a shared connection and 1-2 players on seperate IP connections. Is it possible to play if one of the non-shared PCs hosts the game? Or via Valkyrienet maybe?

Thanks for your answer(s).

The problem with a shared connection is just that, its shared. When you buy your DSL or Cable Modem service they give you only a single IP, your router/cable modem/DSL Modem gives you the plethora of NAT IPs behind the firewall. Each machine behind the router can gain access to the Internet, sharing the connection. The reason two PCs behind your modem can not play in the same game is because when the data packets come over the Internet to your modem, the modem can only forward those packets to a single NAT and can't differentiate which NAT should get them, if they are both trying to play in the same game. Hope that helps.