• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(31725)

Sergeant
Jul 10, 2004
Nothing in the following post is new, its a compilation of approx. 50 some odd posts I read trying to get MP working. The following step by step process is what I used to get MP working for myself. I hope this helps.

Step by step guide to get MP working:

Step 1: ipconfig

From the cmd prompt, using windows XP, type the following:

ipconfig

Two bits of info are important, the Default Gateway IP address, and the IP address. The Default Gateway is the IP address for your DSL modem, cable modem, etc. The IP address is not your "real" IP, but your NAT that resides behind the "gateway" to the Internet, your modem.

They should look like this:

NAT IP address 192.168.x.x

Default Gateway 192.168.x.x

If you have multiple computers off the same modem, each will get their own NAT, usually, a single digit different from the Gateway address. Even if you have multiple PCs sharing an Internet connection, they all can't play the game simultaneously because you only have a single gateway, and thus can only forward to a single NAT IP at a time, see step 3.

Step 2: www.showmyip.com

To play MP over a direct Internet connection, you'll need your "real" IP, or also referred to as your public, or WAN IP.

The easiest way to get your WAN IP is to access www.showmyip.com. In the upper left of the web page, your public/WAN IP will be displayed. If your ISP provides you with a "static" IP this number will never change, if not, each time you reboot the PC, lose power, or have to re-connect to your ISP, this # may change.

Step 3: Firewalls

Using the default gateway IP from Step 1, enter this # into your web browser's address line. This is where its going to get difficult. Every modem manufacturer and ISP uses a completely different interface. Elsewhere on the HOI forum you'll find a sticky leading to examples from a few firewall interfaces, please use them as a guide.

Basically, after entering the default gateway IP, you are now into your modem's settings screen. If your modem or firewall is administrable you'll be able to access your firewall settings. Many, older, or first generation DSL modems are not, you are forwarded to a webpage that's basically just an info screen, you'll have to contact your ISP to get an administrable modem, this happened to me, and the ISP charged me $60 for the new modem, great eh?

In addition, many ISPs are going to require a username, and password to access your modem's settings. Fortunately for me, mine did not. If a user name and password are required, you will have to contact your ISP for that info.

Okay, now that you're in, you need to adjust your "port forwarding" on the modem. This allows IP traffic that hits your modem's firewall, the game info, to be forwarded to your IP behind the Gateway, to your NAT IP, from step 1.

Nearly all systems refer to "port forwarding” settings in the advanced settings are of the interface. Once there you have to input the following port ranges to allow the game to find your PC behind the gateway.

2300-2400
28800-29000
47400-47700

Most systems after asking for the specified range will ask for UDP, TCP etc, the game requires TCP forwarding. You now need to use your IP address from step 1, as this is your NAT IP behind the gateway, the 192.168.x.x number.

Another problem may arise in regards UPnP, if its active, you may not be able to connect either. This is a software feature that is supposed to make forwarding over ports easier, however, it doesn’t always work. This feature was not an issue for me, as my router did not utilize it. If yours does, you must disable it, again, check your modem settings and your ISP for more info.

Also, if your modem requires that IP addressing, or IP Routing needs to be turned on, that feature may need to be activated prior to getting the “port forwarding” feature to become available.

See I told you step 3 was where things would get difficult.

Be sure to use your system's save and restart feature, don't "x" out of the window, because unless you save and restart your modem, your new setting changes will not take affect.

Step 4:

Turn off all software based firewalls on your PC during play. If the specific firewall program allows you to give Internet permission to specific applications, you may also use those options, and not have to turn off the firewall.

If the above settings and forwarding do not work, or if you have a modem setting that does not allow for the input of port ranges, but does allow for DMZ hosting, DMZ may also work. If you chose the DMZ option, it essentially opens up your PC to all Internet port traffic unrestricted to your PC during the play of the game. Once the game is completed please turn off the DMZ option to secure your PC.

If you are going to use valkrie net you're done, you should be able to use that interface to get a game going no problem...

If you want to play directly over the Internet in the event valkrie is down, you'll need the WAN IP from step 2.

Step 5: Direct IP play

Select the Internet option from in game. If you are hosting, provide your WAN IP to your opponents. They in turn enter this into the IP space provided in game, and they select the Join option. If everyone has set their options as in Step 3 and Step 4, everyone should be able to join.

I can not guarantee all the above will work, since every user’s situation is different. Thus, this is why Paradox does not go into great detail on MP setup. Legally, they would be open to all sorts of issues. I too will post the disclaimer that if you run into trouble, get hacked etc, that you did so, fully knowing the risks going in. All of the issues making this game so difficult to use MP are the result of the world we live in.

Many game manufacturers that support online gaming spend thousands of dollars to invest in servers that do all this work in the background, and function as the server hosting your game. In the realm of Paradox, the host’s computer is that sever, thus you have to go thru all of this pain to make it work.

Hope you enjoy the MP experience, if you would like to ask me a specific question in regards to MP, send me a personal message thru the forum and I’ll try to help as best I can. If you wish to add to this post with comments and or questions, please do so, and I will try to respond promptly.

Good luck and good gaming to all…..

What's a FritzBOX SL? I'm assuming SL stands for a subscriber line. If its an older "modem," it may not allow for user administration. My original modem I had with my DSL service had to be upgraded to a unit that would take administration thru the web. You may have to contact your broadband service provider and ask them if they have a unit in which you can modify the port forwarding settings, if not, you're out of luck I'm afraid.

I am trying to play via lan with a router connection, both computers are patched to 1.1 The multiplayer was working until the router was installed . It will work without the router. Is there a way around this or do we have to disconect the router to play over the lan? We tried a different game with the router and it worked fine . Please help! If this is posted in the wrong spot sorry this is my first post on this site. Thanks.

Hey Porkey,

The router being used has an internal firewall that has to be adjusted as per the first post of this thread. The port forwarding of the router has to be set as above to allow the router to pass forward the packets to the PC behind the firewall, good luck... :D

thax for such good explonation but i still can't understand my problem
i'm playing all games by ip ( i have it stable on my comp ) and i'm hosting in GameSpy or direct by ip in all games i have except .. right .. hoi, hoi2 or eu2 series. I disabled all firewalls but still can't join not by ip to others neather in valkirianet! It always says - Ip not found ...

MaxRiga said:
thax for such good explonation but i still can't understand my problem
i'm playing all games by ip ( i have it stable on my comp ) and i'm hosting in GameSpy or direct by ip in all games i have except .. right .. hoi, hoi2 or eu2 series. I disabled all firewalls but still can't join not by ip to others neather in valkirianet! It always says - Ip not found ...

What firewalls did you disable? My guess is they are all software based on your PC, you're right they too will have to be disabled, but you're only half done. You will still have to access your (modem, DSL modem, cable modem etc.) and adjust the port forwarding options to send the game files to your PC. Your opponent will also have to do the same thing, refer to steps 3 and 4, you may have to resort to DMZ settings, but the risk of getting hacked is very real. Good Luck... :rolleyes:

hi having problem with my router.

teheath said:
What firewalls did you disable? My guess is they are all software based on your PC, you're right they too will have to be disabled, but you're only half done. You will still have to access your (modem, DSL modem, cable modem etc.) and adjust the port forwarding options to send the game files to your PC. Your opponent will also have to do the same thing, refer to steps 3 and 4, you may have to resort to DMZ settings, but the risk of getting hacked is very real. Good Luck... :rolleyes:
cannot play multiplayer. behind 2 firewalls.and 3 port settings.i have a belkin router.and where do i find my ip adress. the adress you gave me didnt work.

oleg-stukov-ex said:
v- net down and i need some help getting v-net to work. recommed ask admin.

Two firewalls? Are you trying to connect from a corporate or university LAN? If you are, you'll need to have permission from the network admin.

Otherwise networks work like onions, they have a lot of layers. The outer most firewall or layer, the firewal that first comes in contact with the Internet will control your "public" or WAN IP, that's the IP others will need to have to reach you. The outer most router must knowledge of your "node," and will have to route packets to your NAT IP registered with that router over the specified ports given in the instructions in the first post of this thread. Once you get traffic routed from there to the second firewall, the process starts all over in getting traffic routed thru the ports their to the ultimate destination, your PC. Basically two firewalls, i.e. modems, routers etc. will both have to be setup to play. Good luck.

This a joke? I can barely understand one word of those instructions. Why is it SO MANY MP online games are just match and join, and this one requires a computer degree?

I have HoI2 v1.2, and I am told my version is incompatible to the host, though his versions is the same as mine, wtf??

Of course, within 30 seconds of joining vnet, my entire computer locks up, and a forced restart is necessary. I dont have a firewall, and play many, many online games that require patches, but none of them require this crazy IP administer fascist computer geek only BS just to play online. I NEVER lock up on any of these games, but vnet just wont have it. Seems like Im doomed to playing agqainst the computer, as I dont have time for night classes to deal with the IP conglomerate. Cant we just f-in play?

Because there hasn't been a hotpatch for the reinforcements bug, because there's a checksum to make sure that no one's editted game files to cheat you, and because today is not your day.