• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Halibutt said:
Just let me know if you need the Polish leaders for the 1914-1922 period.
Cheers

As far as I know, you provided the Polish list for TGW. So, yes please.

Allenby said:
As far as I know, you provided the Polish list for TGW. So, yes please.
Yup, that was me. The most up-to-date version is now part of the pre-beta WERS mod release. If you don't want to download a 3 Mb not-really-playable mod, just send me an e-mail and I'll send the file to you.

Take note, however, that it's not yet a final version and there will be lots of updates, especially with the airmen (so far dummy names from the 1936 scenario) and there will also be some glitch in the ranks and traits.
Cheers

Ok, the pre-release version sent (together with a leaders list for both Ukraines). Remind me of it in some time and I'll send you the final list, together with a pic pack.

BTW, do you have a leaders list for Bolshevik Russia? We need it badly for the WERS mod.
Cheers

Halibutt said:
BTW, do you have a leaders list for Bolshevik Russia? We need it badly for the WERS mod.

Check TGW. The Soviet Russian file has not been converted into HOI II format, I ought to tell you...

He was an elderly man - he might have caught pneumonia while out riding on his country estate one Sunday afternoon and died...

In fact, I'd bet that the majority of land leader deaths in WW1 were not a direct result of enemy action. It's quite rare for officers of the rank of General to lead the charge through No Man's Land, after all. A few, like Bridges, might have got unlucky on their occasional inspection tours of the front line - but that's exactly the kind of thing that a random event can simulate (unless we go with fixed death dates after all).

I'm all against it then. Nothing more annoying than to have leaders randomly drop dead.

Deathdates should be set for those who died of natural causes, e.g. Gallieni, von Moltke. For the others, just leave it as it was in HOI1.

I'll remove these annoying random events if they get put in, and I suspect many players would do the same.

ptan54 said:
I'll remove these annoying random events if they get put in, and I suspect many players would do the same.

Being random events, I doubt that they'll appear all that often, to be honest.

There's currently a 'leader assassinated by commandos' event. I'd suggest duplicating it a few times, changing the text to 'leader retires', 'leader shot by sniper', 'leader dies of typhoid', 'leader sacked', 'leader drowns', 'leader caught in compromising position with female enemy agent' and 'leader shoots himself in the head'.

Put them in a separate event file so people who object to leaders dying in a wargame can delete that file easily...

Would it be possible to assign the randomness to leaders of a certain level? ie in that Major generals would have more a chance of getting the event than say a filed marshall?

Not as far as I can see. Except that there are more lower-ranking leaders, of course, so the balance of probabilities will mean the events affect low-ranking leaders more often.

Besides, I'm not sure why you think it would be any safer to be a Field Marshal than a Major-General in the conditions of WW1?

StephenT said:
Besides, I'm not sure why you think it would be any safer to be a Field Marshal than a Major-General in the conditions of WW1?

Because they're more likely to be killed in action?

More Brigadier-Generals and Major-Generals died than those of higher rank, remember.

Last edited:
Allenby said:
More Brigadier-Generals and Major-Generals died than those of higher tank, remember.

Higher Tank?

highertank4do.jpg

er....yeah. Very good.

The point still stands - a brigade or divisional commander was much more likely to be killed during the war, simply because he got directly involved in the action more often.

Ludendorff doesn't sit around in the trenches all day, lower ranking commanders do. It's clear who's at greater risk of dying from war related causes. The fact that there are more lower ranking leaders doesn't change this - even though on the balance of probabilities the lower ranking leaders are more likely to die, this probability is still higher than if we have a lower probability event for the higher ranking officers.