• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(26451)

Sergeant
Mar 3, 2004
Howdie everyone. I'd like to present another AAR I will be writing together with my CK AAr (see signature).

Statistics:
- Age of Exploration.
- Crimea.
- EU 2 (duh), v1.08 Vanilla.
- Normal / Normal.

Goals:
- Having fun and a challenge.
- Taking what is left of the Golden Horde.
- Not getting eaten up by Russia, Ottomans, Lithuania, etc..., or in other words; survive.

Edit: Almost forgotten, my own special rules to keep it fun ;)

- I can add cores, but not overdo it, to keep me from boredom
- Same goes for custom events
- I can also change religion, taking a -2 stab hit and having revoltrisk risen by 3 for 6 months for every province of another religion. If I change religion completely (from muslem to christian, from christian to buddhist, etc...), I will take an additional -1 stab hit.

F.e.: If I have 5 provinces of which 3 are muslem and 2 orthodox and I become orthodox:
18 months of increased revoltrisk
-3 stab hit.

Last edited:
1 Crimea shall rise again​

January 1492

Crimea has a militiary alliance with Muscowy, Ryazan and Pskov.

Mangli.jpg

Mangli assessed the situation of his country together with his financial minister Al-Islam.
Mangli: We have 80 000 men ready, 50 000 men in Crimea, 30 000 in Azov. How many can we support?
Al-Islam: 10 000
Mangli: So, we need to get rid of some men. But I do not merely wish to disband them, we have raised an army that seems to be too large.
Inach, marshall of Crimea walked in. He saluted the khan and sat down at a table.
Mangli: Greetings, general. Do you have a suggestion to use our army for?
Inach: Of course, khan. I say we attack the filthy Georgians in the south. Let us claim Sochi so we have more access to the Black Sea. Then we should vassalize Georgia so we can stop them from trying to get closer to the Muscovites.
Mangli: Do you agree, Al-Islam?
Al-Islam: Well, we can only send a diplomat in the beginning of 1493, even when we screw back the funding of the army with 50%, we will be in debt. Certainly now that you have used most of the treasury to promote tax collectors in all provinces.
Inach: If you rule with only looking at the political and financial situation, you will never get far. You think the Turk build an empire without ever getting in debt?
Mangli: Then so shall it be. We will declare war on Georgia in February 1493, we’ll take some loans to cover our debt. Prepare the army.

April 1492

Crimea moved a step closer to Centralization.

The rest of 1492 is filled with the state taking out more and more loans without being able to pay them back.

1 February 1493

Invasion of Georgia starts. 50 000 Crimeans attack the 12 000 strong army in Georgia, 30 000 Crimeans invade Sochi and lay siege to it.

9 May 1493

GeorgiaWar.jpg
A Georgian soldier falls and will quickly be finished​

Georgian army finally defeated after they had tried to retreat to Sochi.

30 July 1493

Muscovy declares war on Kazan. Everyone dishonours the alliance and it dissolves.

3 August 1493

Astrakhan turns down the Crimean offer to create a new alliance. But they do accept to a royal marriage.

16 January 1494

Ottoman Empire invites Crimea to create a new alliance. Crimea refuses to do business with the Turk.

25 April 1494

Province of Sochi captured by Crimea. Rebels control the capital province of the Golden Horde but do not manage to take the city.

16 May 1494

Crimean spies report the army of the Golden Horde was defeated by the rebels.

2 June 1494

Georgia is captured.

3 June 1494

The ruler of Georgia is brought as a prisoner to Crimea. He is forced to sign a humiliating treaty, giving up Sochi and swearing allegiance to the khans of Crimea. He may no longer enter alliances with any nation and has to give up half of Georgia’s income to Crimea as tribute. This for as long as Crimea exists.

12 August 1494

Astrakhan changes it mind and wants to create a new alliance with Crimea. Crimea accepts.

22 December 1494

The Khan of Crimea sets new tolerance levels for the religions in the Khanate.

Tolerance.jpg

4 September 1495

Astrakhan asks Crimea to become a vassal of theirs. Crimea declines.
Mangli: Crimea shall bow to none.

8 October 1495

Inach: My Khan, the time has come to take land from the Golden Horde. Rebels have destroyed their army and Astrakhan is ready to attack them with us.
Mangli: How do you suggest we move then?
Inach: Astrakhan will go after their capital while we lay siege to Ufa. Uralsk will probably also be taken by Astrakhan.
Mangli: Very well, prepare the troops!

12 October 1495

Crimea declares war on the Golden Horde, Astrakhan joins in.

6 January 1496

Astrakhan defeats the Golden Horde in Uralsk and lays siege to their capital. Crimea lays siege on Ufa. Ryazan also declared war on the Golden Horde and has already captured Saratow.

18 February 1496

Cantonments are established in Azov, manpower +1 for that province.

25 February 1496

Ak Konyunlu invites Crimea to a royal marriage. Crimea happily accepts, the khan adds a new wife to his harem.

1 May 1496

Crimea went bankrupt, bright side to it is that we are out of debts.

5 March 1496

Crimean soldiers who had left the siege of Ufa in order not to freeze to death, return back to continue the siege.

22 May 1496

The Golden Horde offers a white peace. Of course, Crimea doesn’t accept.

11 August 1496

Ufa is captured by Crimea. Volgograd had been taken a week earlier and Uralsk is still withstanding the Crimean-Astrakhan alliance.

30 August 1496

TartarsAttack.jpg
Crimean cavalry charge the soldiers of the Horde, whose hearts would soon fill with fear​

Crimea invades the province Samara. The army of the Golden Horde is utterly defeated on the fields of battle. The main city in the province is under siege by Crimea.

11 February 1497

Lugansk revolts, they lay siege to the province’s capital. Most of them freeze to death.

20 May 1497

A starved and frozen rebel army is defeated by newly raised troops from Crimea. The province is put back in order.

2 June 1497

Crimean spies report that the rebels are besieging the capital of the Golden Horde.

12 July 1497

The Golden Horde demands 6 ducats (the entire Crimean treasury) in exchange for peace.

26 November 1497

Crimea captures the province of Samara.

1 December 1497

The government of the Golden Horde falls. Samara declares it independence from the Golden Horde (although they were captured by Crimea). Astrakhan gets Uralsk, Crimea gets Ufa and Ryazan gets Saratow.

2 February 1498

The court of the Khan evaluates the war.
Incha: We have 8 000 men left, of which 5 000 are infantry. They are now marching back to Crimean land. Ufa is captured by us We started the war with 30 000 men, most of which were killed in the cold while retreating temporarily to Crimea. If they had not done that, we might have even less soldiers now.
Mangli: In other words...
Mangli stood up and sighed.
Mangli: ....we have conquered a poor province that follows another religion than our state religion. We have lost thousands of men for a long but very narrow piece of, of,...white desert!
Incha: But we have conquered land, my Khan. Although little, this province will deliver us manpower to finally begin conquering until we can create Great Crimea.
Mangli: If we will continue with those losses, Great Crimea will never be formed. But that is for later. Al-Islam, how is our financial situation?
Al-Islam: We have only 24 ducats left.
Mangli: Ok, we will keep ourselves quiet for a while, build up our army again slowly. If we play it smart and well, we might even take the Crim again from the Turks. You are dismissed and may return to your quarters.
The men stood up, saluted the Khan and left the room.

Crimea1498.jpg
Great-Crimea and current Crimea​

Last edited:
2 Growing bigger​

9 February 1498

Astrakhan asks to enter a vassalization. Once again, Crimea refuses.

15 December 1498

Inach: My Khan, this is the time to get rid of them for good. They only have 3 000 soldiers left, none of those have horses. We can finally claim the title as real successors of the Horde.
Mangli: I don’t know, I’m waiting for a report of Al-Islam. I asked him to collect information about the surrounding provinces. That way I can see if it has any use to wage war again.
Inach: My Khan, that man is no warrior. He is a mere bureaucrat, Crimea wouldn’t exist if it was left over to bureaucrats. He is just a retarted....
Al-Islam opened the door and walked in, holding a parchment roll.
Incha: Greetings, Al-Islam, my dear friend.
Mangli: And what did you find out?
Al-Islam: The time is right to take the last part of the Golden Horde. Their last province holds several gold mines. They have an income of 74!

Inach:
Great! I just told the Khan how you would support me in attacking the Horde.
Mangli: Saddle the horses and sharpen the blades, we shall take the place of the Horde.

13 January 1499

The Khan of the Golden Horde was observing his troops at the border.
Khan: Any word of our scouts?
General: No, but the previous ones were almost surprised by the Crimean troops.
A horseman came riding towards the Khan. He held a long rope at which several things were hanging. After getting closer, he swung the rope around and threw it at the Khan, he then rode away again.
The Khan looked in horror at what the man had thrown. Before him lay the heads of the scouts. When the Khan had recovered from seeing the heads, other, sharper, projectiles were flying towards him. A barrage of arrows came down on the army and the Khan barely escaped.
Crimean cavalry came charging at the unprepared army of the Golden Horde. They smashed through the lines and a few hours later, the army of the Golden Horde was routed. The Khan had managed to flee to his palace in the capital.

9 February 1499

The city in the province Samara is under siege. The walls were thick and the siege would last long.

19 April 1499

8 000 more troops were raised in Crimea and send to the siege.

9 February 1500

Sweden asked for military access. Crimea refused, why would the Swedes want to enter Crimean territory?

3 May 1500

After 15 months of siege, Samara fell in the hands of Crimea. The enemy Khan was waiting the conquerors in his throne room. When the Crimeans had taken the city, they were forbidden to enter the palace. After three days of plundering, Mangli entered the palace with a series of bodyguards and his advisors. They kicked down the door of the throne room and entered, finding the Khan on his throne. The Khan stood up and walked towards his enemy.

Khan: Welcome in my palace, the last bastion of the Golden Horde. This was once a part of the largest empire the world has known and will ever know!
The Khan raised his index finger while saying the last sentence. He then turned his back towards Mangli.
Khan: But then bad times came upon us and the empire fell apart. But we rebuild it and then...betrayal. Filthy criminals like your khanate tore the empire apart.
The Khan turned around, his face red with anger, and yelled at Mangli.
Khan: And then you, Crimea is a son of the Golden Horde. How dare you attack Samara, home of your fatherland. What do you think your doing?
Mangli grinned and drew his dagger. He pushed the Khan backwards, back in his throne.
Khan: What are you doing?
Mangli: Succeeding you, Crimea finally succeeds it’s father.
Mangli thrust his dagger forward several times, the body of the Khan would be buried in a peasant’s grave.

Palace.jpg
The Crimeans tore down most of the palace. Only the entrance to the gardens remained​

7 September 1500

Crimea sold offices in Sochi, gaining 100 ducats.

14 September 1500

An heir was born and Crimea celebrated.

6 September 1500

Mangli turned around in his sleep. He was having a very strange dream.

Mangli ran in the white desert of Samara, ruins everywhere. In the distance he saw a soldier standing guard at a ruin, his back was turned towards Mangli. Mangli ran until he was behind the soldier. He turned around, revealing a Muscovian uniform. Mangli fell back, next to a sword. He picked it up, defending himself from the soldier who attacked him. Eventually, Mangli thrust the sword in the soldier’s heart. The soldier melted away and Mangli woke up.

7 September 1500

Crimea declares war on Muscovy. Mangli interpreted the dream as a sign of Allah to attack the Rus and conquer Saratow. Astrakhan joined Crimea in the war.

23 May 1501

The Crimean army enters Saratow and defeats the Muscovian army.

8 June 1501

Siege of the city begins.

28 December 1501

Saratow is conquered.

15 March 1502

Tambow is under siege

7 October 1502

A Moscovian army is repelled by Astrakhan forces in Ufa.

26 Januari 1503

The province of Tambow is captured

7 March 1503

Muscovy offers 10 ducats for peace. Crimea refuses and wants Saratow.

30 April 1503

Muscovy offers 2 ducats for peace.
Mangli: If I didn’t accept 10 ducats, then why would I accept 5 times less?

A royal marriage was arranged between Crimea and Nogai.

9 May 1503

The Astrakhan army is defeated in Nizhgorod. Astrakhan will only take up defensive positions in Ufa and will no longer take the offense.

12 September 1503

A Moscovian counterattack is stopped in Tambow. But Crimea is starting to run low on men to fight.

9 October 1503

Muscovy refuses to surrender Saratow to Crimea.

Muscovy defeats the Crimean army in Tambow and begins to lay siege to the city. An army of 22 000 men is conducting the siege while 35 000 men are seen marching towards Tambow.

29 October 1503

MuscovyversusCrimea.jpg
Muscovian soldiers defeat the Crimeans​

35 000 Muscovian soldiers attack the 7 000 Crimeans in Saratow and are victorious. They lay siege to the city.

30 October 1503

A Russian force of 12 000 men is seen in Nizhgorod, probably going to Ufa. Crimea has only 2 000 soldiers left and not enough money to raise another army.

1 November 1503

Sweden declares war on Muscovy.

Muscovy offers peace to Crimea and will give 9 ducats. Crimea accepts.

4 November 1503

The court of the Khan evaluates the war.
Mangli: We lost more than 20 000 soldiers and what have we gained? 9 ducats! Enough to raise 1 000 soldiers and pay them for a year. Inach, why did you not warn me of the manpower of Muscovy?
Inach: But my Khan, you did not want to listen to reason. You wanted war because of a dream, this your fault.
Mangli: WHAT? You dare to insult your Khan? Guards! Take this man away, I want his head in my room in one hour.
Inach was lifted from his chair by the guards, too stunned to move. He was taken to the dungeons of the palace and only his head left them again.
Mangli: Now that that idiot is away, Al-Islam, what is our financial situation?
Al-Islam: 21 ducats, my Khan.
Mangli: And of course you have a solution for this problem.
Al-Islam: Errr...of course my Liege. We could annex Kazan and Cuman. But the other nations wouldn’t like this at all.
Mangli grinned and seemed to calm down.
Mangli: I don’t care what other nations think. Very well then....
Mangli walked to one of the generals, Abdel T’hong. Abdel was a Mongol who had fought in China but had come to the Crimean court.
Mangli: Abdel, you are the new marshall of my court. Do not....let me down.
Abdel jumped up and saluted.
Abdel: Never, I will succeed or die!
Mangli: You bet you will...

3 Khanate of Barbarians​

20 August 1504

Crimea declares war on Kazan.

Astrakhan is not asked to join the war.

17 September 1504

The Kazan army, consisting of 1 000 men is defeated by the 5 000 strong Crimean army.

26 May 1505

Diplomatic move, relations with Muscovy improve + 25. They no longer wish to skin us but just kill us now. If things keep improving, they might even wish us a quick death.

3 July 1505

Kazan is annexed two hours after the city fell. Their leader was killed during the siege.

The Crimeans threat the conquered very brute. Thousands are slain in Kazan as the entire province is plundered for two weeks. 5% of the population is wiped out and several villages were put to the torch. The reason for this was that they did not cheer when the Crimeans passed through.

10 August 1505

Just in case: Astrakhan now grants us military access.

27 October 1505

Crimea declares war on Cuman. It seems Sibir has joined our alliance but neither Astrakhan nor Cuman are asked to join us in this war.

The January revolts

Samara revolts on the 1st
Kouban on the 2nd
Ufa on the 3rd
Samara on the 4th

Mangli was shouting furiously in his palace. Abdel T’Hong stood silent as a pillar, listening to the raging kahn.
Mangli: I have had it with those rebels. Repress them and all that refuse to accept my rule. Kill all those that do not cheer enough for us. You have come from China, learn those rebels how rebels are handled with at the other side of the continent.
Abdel: Yes, my khan.
He bowed and left the room, giving order to start a giant repression against all who oppose. The rebels would soon learn what happens when you mix Crimean anger with Chinese cruelty.

The six months of repression
February – March – April – May – June – July

Even the troops laying siege in Volgograd had to be called back to Crimea to repress the rebels. Abdel set out his plan in a letter to all generals:

“From: Abdel T’Hong, marshall of Crimea
To: All generals of Crimea

You are ordered to use maximal force. By the beginning of July, there must be at least 15 000 heads gathered or else you will suffer the consequences.

Order, discpline, loyalty

Abdel T’Hong”

On the 4th of July, the last rebel had died. The generals had exceeded their minimum greatly. The rebellions let 25 000 rebels and 6 000 soldiers death. Abdel T’Hong is publicly complimented by the khan himself.

13 October 1506

The siege is resumed in Volgograd.

15 October 1507

The city in Volgograd falls

18 October 1507

Mongols.jpg
Crimeans ravashing the countryside​

Cuman is annexed into Crimea.

Crimea gets an even worse reputation by plundering Cuman for a month. Some survive the carnage, believing that the end of the world has arrived and take refuge in Lugansk where they form several apocalyptic, heretical sects.

19 October 1507

Heretics take up arms in Lugansk.

3 December 1507

The heretics are smashed in Lugansk.

16 February 1508

Crimea changes it’s military doctrine more towards land.

5 April 1508
This time the peasants rise up in Lugansk.

8 April 1508
The peasant revolt is put down with extreme brutality.

Crimea1508.jpg
Crimea in 1508. Abdel T'Hong suggested a safety buffer to have space between Crimea and Moscovy and at the same time, being able to attack their capital quickly.​

Next update will probably be somewhere Monday evening. But here's a trailer ;) .

General: Attack!
3 000 Lithuanian soldiers on horse and 8 000 soldiers on foot charged the camp of the small Crimean army in Crimea. The 1 000 Crimean infantry soldiers were surprised and quickly they lay death on the ground.
General: Pull...let them fly!
Trebuchets threw stones over the walls of the Crimean capital. A great stone smashed in the room next to Mangli’s bedroom.

Lithuaniaattacks.jpg
A small part of the invading army​

Mangli: Allah curse them all. How many Lithuanians in Lugansk?
Messenger: No Lithuanians but Poles. 8 000 of them. And we have reports from our spies that an army from Brandenburg is also on the march. It is us against Lithuania, Poland and Brandeburg.

Archers.jpg
Archers from Brandenburg firing at the royal palace in Crimea​

Mangli yelled hard after this: The enemy does not know that they have unleashed the Horde! No retreat shall be given, we fight to the death!

Crimeaflag.jpg
This war shall be a turning point in Crimea's history. Will Crimea fall or shall the Lithuanian Alliance march straight into their death?
You will find out, after the break

During my absence, please feel free to comment my AAR :), it would be greatly appreciated ;)

Last edited:
4 The Horde Rides Once More​

Crimeaflag.jpg

15 November 1508

The court of the Khan evaluates the repression of the rebels.

The Crimean marshall was reading the report he wrote. In the report, he wrote the results of restoring order to the Khanate.
Abdel: The revolts have been put down in blood. They will not have the stomach to rise up again for the next decades. Not the stomach and not the men for we slaughtered many. In the tradition of the Mongol Horde, we piled their skulls up in their town centres, where they will stand for 3 years. This should remind them of what happens if they would rise up again.
The heretics were hunted down and all were killed. The villages that sheltered them, were razed to the ground to make sure no heretics were left. An additional 10 000 people were killed through this. 1 500 people were interrogated like I learned in China, I shall now describe the methods and the results...

Mangli had a big grin on his face while Abdel read. Al-Islam was getting a bit green, hearing Abdel read the interrogation part and decided to move his chair closer to the window.
Abdel: The conclusion is simple. 25 000 rebels were killed, together with 13 000 serfs suspected of collaboration with the rebels. We have now regained full control of the country and order has been restored...
Abdel looked up from the document and faced the khan.
Abdel: ...as had been ordered by our mighty khan.
Mangli stood up from his chair and applauded, the generals and advisors joined him a few seconds later.
Mangli: Excellent. As a reward, I give you the keys of a palace next to mine. You are also promoted to the Inner Circle and you will be my personal advisor.
Abdel rose and bowed deeply before the khan.
Abdel: You pay me and my family great honour, I shall repay you a thousand times.
Mangli: You may sit down again, Abdel. Now, let’s discuss how to rule the newly aquired provinces.

18 October 1509

General: Attack!

Lithuaniaattacks.jpg
A small part of the invading army​

3 000 Lithuanian soldiers on horse and 8 000 soldiers on foot charged the camp of the small Crimean army in Crimea. The 1 000 Crimean infantry soldiers were surprised and quickly they lay death on the ground.
General: Pull...let them fly!
Trebuchets threw stones over the walls of the Crimean capital. A great stone smashed in the room next to Mangli’s bedroom. He jumped up from his bed and ran out of his room.
Mangli: By the beard of the Prophet, what is going on?
A general came running to Mangli, his sword belt hanging just above his underpants.
General: The Lithuanians are attacking us, great Khan!
Voice: Khan, khan!
A messenger came running through the hall.
Mangli: What?
Messenger: Pidgeons have arrived, Lithuania has invaded Ufa and Lugansk. The city in Ufa is under siege but in Lugansk, the troops are holding them back.
Mangli: How many are they?
Messenger: 6 000 in Ufa, 12 000 in the capital province...
Mangli: Allah curse them all. How many Lithuanians in Lugansk?
Messenger: No Lithuanians but Poles. 8 000 of them. And we have reports from our spies that an army from Brandenburg is also on the march. It is us against Lithuania, Poland and Brandeburg.
Mangli: WHAT? Messenger, go to Abdel T’Hong and tell him to retreat the troops to Azov, Kalmuk and Volgograd. Tell him also to meet me in Kalmuk.
Messenger: Yes, my Khan.
Mangli: Go then, hurry now.

24 October 1509

Emergency meeting of the Inner Circle in Kalmuk. Abdel T’Hong and Al-Islam managed to escape barely and many generals were killed in defending the retreat of the khan.

Mangli: Generals, situation please.
General 1: I have received word that the Lithuanians have been driven out of Ufa. Our army in Samara counterattacked during a blizzard. We only have 2 000 men left there, but the Lithuanian army has been completely destroyed.
General 2: The Lithuanians are besieging the capital, the Poles are besieging Lugansk, together with Brandenburgers.
Abdel: We are collecting war taxes and have taken a loan. We are stretching our resources to the maximum now but we might have a chance in a few months. Winter will be hard and if we counterattack in February, we might even have a chance.
Spy master: We may even have a big chance. Our spies and diplomats have told me that Brandeburg is also at war with a country called Bohemia. And my spies have also told me that the current attacking army, is 95% of the Lithuanian armed forces.
Mangli: Very well. The counterattack shall take place on the 1st of January next year. We shall show those *#!@ that we are the descendants of the unstoppable Mongol Horde. Crimea shall not die.
All gathered stood up and started banging their fists on the table while singing the Crimean anthem.

The Hordes Shall Ride Once More
Blood Shall Flow From Our Swords
We Shall Burn Their Cities And Their Forts
Our Nation Will Be Great Forevermore

Ride Sons Of The Horde
Bring Glory To Your Lands As Your Fathers Did Before
Glory Shall Only Come To The Brave
A Coward Shall Live His Life As A Slave

Crimea Shall Put Their Enemies In Chains
Spill The Blood From Their Vains
The Hordes Shall Ride As Never Before!

Mangli yelled hard after this: The enemy does not know that they have unleashed the Horde! No retreat shall be given, we fight to the death!

25 October 1509

Crimean Diplomat: My Khan, I have a message from our allies.
Mangli: Will they support us?
Crimean Diplomat: Astrakhan has joined us in the war against the Lithuanian alliance but Sibir dared to dishonour the alliance.
Mangli: Traitors, we shall never forgot their betrayal.

12 December 1509

The Lithuanian army in Ufa has suffered many casualities due to the winter. Only 2 000 are left and are defeated by the Crimean army that was raised in Samara.

10 January 1510

Most armies of the Lithuanian alliance have suffered more than 50% casualties because of the hard winter.

22 March 1510

The Lithuanian alliance is driven from Crimea
The Poles retreat from Lugansk to Donetsk in Lithuania. Only 2 000 Brandenburgers remain.

5 June 1510

Brandenburg army is crushed in Lugansk

6 June 1510

Every bit of available manpower is recruited

8 August 1510

The fully assembled Crimean army defeats a Lithuanian army in Krementjug and moves on to Donetsk

12 September 1510

The Crimean army defeats the scraps of the Lithuanian army in Donetsk. Half of the army lays siege to the main city in Donetsk while the other half does the same in Krementjug.

The provinces of Donetsk and Krementjug are captured in spring. The Lithuanian ambassador arrived at the royal palace in Crimea with a peace proposal from his ruler.
The Khan had gathered his advisors around him to impress the ambassador. Abdel T’Hong stood at his right side, Al-Islam at his left side. The other advisors stood behind him. The ambassador walked in the throne room.
Ambassador: I bring word from my master, mighty ruler of Lithuania.
Mangli: Mighty? I think not. We have destroyed your army, captured provinces and soon we will stand at the gates of your capital. I do not think that “mighty” is a good choice of words.
The khan and his entourage started laughing. When they stopped, the ambassador continued.
Ambassador: We offer you the provinces of Krementjug and Donetsk. Will you accept?
Mangli: Because we Crimeans only seek peace, we shall sign this peace treaty. I think Lithuania has learned a valuable lesson. Don’t dig up more snakes than you can kill.

1 July 1511

Peace is signed. Crimea gets Krementjug and Donetsk.

2 July 1511

The council of the Khan evaluates the war.

Mangli: This is great! We are one step closer to Great Crimea. How many men have lost in this war?
Abdel T’Hong: Let me be honest to you, my Khan; we have 3 000 troops left in total. We won because the Lithuanians ran out of troops earlier.
Mangli: That’s not important, we won and that’s what important. Al-Islam, the financial situation?
Al-Islam: War taxes and looting Lithuanian provinces have yielded us some extra funds. We currently have 102 ducats.
Mangli: Perfect. Men, as you can see, I have created a new post. Abdel, you will no longer be responsible for foreign affairs. This man, Tarik Dinotz, an Uzbekhian, will now be in charge of diplomatic missions and will advise me on foreign politics.
Tarik rose briefly, dressed in typical Uzebekhian clothes.

Tarik: I shall serve you loyally, my Khan.
Mangli: You may already begin. What is the current relation Crimea-world?
Tarik: Well, except for Astrakhan, everybody thinks we’ve been a very bad boy. The Christian nations could eat us raw and the Muslim nations dislike us less but would very gladly put a spear through our head.

Mangli: Very well, we shall lay low for a while then. Try not to get into wars. Al-Islam, invest the newly gained ducats in improving relations with the Ottoman Empire. Abdel T’Hong, try to build up an army again. But for now, let us celebrate our great triumph!

Crimea1511.jpg

Interesting. I don't think I have ever seen a Crimean AAR before, or at least read one. And I echo jwolf - I am curious to see what nightmares this gives Storey knowing his distaste of all things Crimean. ;)

Tough luck against the Muscovites, and it does not appear things are getting much better on that front. But the success against Lithuania and friends does present things in a more positive light. Let's see what happens the next time you face the Russians.

Crimean events

I've been snooping around in the event files and didn't find any events for the Crimean Khanate so I'll make some myself.

Be ready for some unexpected turns ;)

I'll echo what Zachary said. You're doing great so far, but be careful! You have three powerful countries who think Crimea would look much better with their flags flying over the cities.

5 We’ve been very bad boys and girls

5 July 1511

The Khan and his advisor on foreign affairs discuss international politics.

Mangli: So you think it would be better to leave the alliance with Astrakhan...to whom should we ally ourselves then?
Tarik: To the Turk, my Khan.
Mangli: Are you crazy? They occupy land that they have stolen from our ancestors!
Tarik: Indeed they have, my Liege. But they are a force to reckon with. The Ottomans have made the powerful Hungarians tremble with fear. Once mighty Byzantium has fallen before them, they have destroyed the Venetians in Asia Minor and have conquered the Slavs in Serbia. Lately, they have been waging wars with Lithuania and Moldavia. It is obvious they are expanding to the north. If we do not beware, we might be the next. Also, they have a huge army, they have more than 60 000 troops at this moment.
Mangli: Pfah, the Ottomans. They will crumble before us just like the mighty Lithuanians, Muscovites, Brandenburgers and Poles did. We, Crimea, have conquered the Kazan people, destroyed Cuman and have made Georgia a vassal. And let us not forget, we also took the last lands of the Golden Horde. We can face them.
Tarik frowned, then replied with a calm voice.
Tarik: My Khan, I have to be honest. The war against the Lithuanians was actually pure luck. It seems they were at war with Hungary and the Ottomans a few years before they attacked us. They lost most of their troops there and could only throw a few at us.
Mangli: I see....I appreciate your honesty. Very well then, send a diplomat to ally ourselves with the Ottomans and another one to break the alliance with Astrakhan.

29 July 1511

Alliance with Astrakhan is broken.
Alliance with Ottoman Empire is accepted.

15 December 1511

A Muscovian diplomat arrives in the royal palace. The Khan sits on his throne, Abdel T’Hong to his right, Tarik to his left. The diplomat is carrying a clay pot as he walks in.
Mangli: Keep it short...Russian.
Diplomat: You can be sure I will.
The diplomat threw the yar at Mangli. Abdel T’Hong jumped before the sultan, intercepting the yar with his head.
Diplomat: You filthy Crimeans, you expand as a pool of urine. But Muscovy will clean you up for good this time.
After this, the guards had killed the diplomat.

Muscovy declares war on Crimea.

16 December 1511

The Ottoman Empire supports Crimea and sends more than 40 000 troops up to the Crim.

8 March 1512

The Crimeans, awaiting complete destruction, take up defensive positions in Lugansk. They have 10 000 men in total. The Muscovites send an army consisting of 13 000 men towards Kazan, another of 10 000 men to Ufa.

15 March 1512

The Ottomans unload 20 000 more troops in the Crim.

16 March 1512

Muscovy lays siege to Kazan.

18 March 1512

An Ottoman army drives the Muscovites from Kazan.
The Crimeans move north and take positions in Ufa.

19 March 1512

In a battle that lasts for a week, the Crimeans manage to hold off the Muscovian attack in Ufa.

27 March 1512

The Ottomans lay siege to Saratow but quickly move on to Tambow, leaving Saratow in Muscovian hands.

1 April 1512

Crimea’s army lays siege to Saratow and manages to take it through assault seven days later.

8 April 1512

Saratow falls to Crimea.

April – December 1512
The big Ottoman sweep

The Ottomans sweep through Muscovy, while still sending more and more troops through the Crim.
Mangli: Where do they keep getting their troops from? Are it rabbits in disguise?

In short, the Ottomans seemed to defeat the whole Muscovian army but didn’t seem to care to siege provinces except Moscow. Crimea kept building troops, losing thousands in assaults but on Christmas-day in 1512, Crimea had conquered Vladimir, Nizhgorod, Tambow and Saratow. The Ottomans were laying siege to Moscow and the province above it. Every Muscovian army that wanted to reclaim a province, had to pass the Ottoman line. Needless to say, with armies of 40k sieging Moscow and the province above it, no Moscovian made it through.

26 December 1512

The Muscovites decline a peace offer in which the Khan demands Saratow.

29 December 1512

A completely drunk Tsar seemed to find it logical to ask for peace in exchange for Saratow, Tambow, Nizhgorod and Vladimir. Mangli shrugged and accepted it.
Mangli: Yes, Abdel, I must say that the Russians have build a small empire. But why do you think it is weak?
Abdel: I do not know.
Mangli: Because it is standing on glass legs. And to be more exactly, glass from wodka bottles.
Mangli laughed for 20 minutes, Abdel didn’t get it.

Crimea1513.jpg
Crimea in 1513​

(I got very lucky here, I'm sure that as soon as Muscovy would have crushed my troops, Lithuania would jump in. It also suprised me that the Muscovians threw relatively little troops at me. When I loaded a save a few days before the war, I checked Muscovy's diplomatic relations and found out where most our troops must have been send to.)

EuropeanWar.jpg
Most of Muscovy's troops were fighting Austria, Milan, Cologne, etc..., saving me from defeat.​

6 Russians at the court / A new beginning​

27 May 1513

Crimea declines a vassalization attempt by the Ottoman Empire.
Mangli: Crimea has fought for freedom and power. We shall not abandon this easily.

9 November 1513

The council of the Khan gathers.

Mangli: You had something to say, Tarik?
Tarik: Yes, my Khan. As you have ordered, a census has been carried out. Currently, 80% of our population are Russians and only 15% of the population follows the Islamic faith.
Mangli: And the problem is?
Tarik: The Russians are a people that is not easily subdued. Certainly the new provinces would like to see themselves returned to Muscovy. We can expect some revolts in the northern part of Crimea if we do not grant them semi-citizenship or even full citizenship. We should also consider having a Russian in the Council.
Al-Islam jumped up.
Al-Islam: WHAT? Those filthy Russians? They drink and vomit where they stand, they have killed each other for years, destroying their own lands. And you want one those filthy Russians in the Council? My Khan, I object fully!
Mangli: I will never allow a Russian in my council, never ever. You may sit down, Al-Islam. And Tarik, never shall a Russian be allowed in the council and no more word shall be spoken about it. Next point on the agenda, foreign politics. Has everything been arranged?
Tarik: Yes, my Khan. the preparations for the royal marriages with Sibir and the Uzbek Kaganate are ready.
Mangli: Perfect. Since all points are handled, I dismiss the council.

No mayor events. A larger Crimean army is raised since more and more Muscovian troops are seen at the border.

2 January 1514

Muhammad I, son of the Khan, enters the council room where the council is waiting for the Khan.

MuhammadI.jpg

Muhammad: Greetings everyone. I shall keep this brief. My father, the great and mighty Khan and founder of great and extended Crimea, has died this night.
The council members look in shock at Muhammad. Muhammad didn't show any emotion though.
Muhammad: In four days, the people shall be informed of this. Since I am the new Khan, I would like to rearrange my council.
Muhammad took a list from one of his pockets.
Muhammad: The following people’s services are no longer needed and will receive a full state pension. They shall receive a home at the coast of Sochi.
Al-Islam, you are thanked for your service but your work is finished now.
Tarik, your service has been very good so far and I shall certainly keep your advice in mind but your work is done too.

Muhammad named a few minor council members too.
Muhammad: The named persons may now leave the room and shall receive their pensions in the treasury room.
The named persons rose and left the room, closing the doors behind them. Later it would be known that Al-Islam and Tarik had not received a pension at all. Al-Islam was beheaded after being arrested in the treasury room. Tarik was spared but sent back to his home, the Uzbek Kaganate.

Muhammad: I shall now present you the new members of the council.
A few men entered the room, some of them Russians.
Muhammad: As Tarik once advised, I have given the Russians more power. The new foreign affairs advisor is Achmed Al-Giran, a true Crimean. The financial advisor shall be Alexander Dorivnipov, from Nizhgorod. And my advisor on domestic affairs will be Vladimir Nilats.

Russiansatthecourt.jpg
(Don't mind the typo in Mangli's name)​

24 September 1515

Good reputation. We lose badboy points and our relations with Lithuania and Muscovy improve (though they still hate the very ground we walk on though).

Diplomatic move. Relations with Astrakhan improve by 75 and we gain an additional diplomat.

October 1516

On 2 October 1516, a border patrol in Ryazan reports that the Crimeans are concentrating troops on the border. 4 October 1516, the Crimeans declare war on Ryazan and their troops quickly pour into Ryazan.

Moldavia, ally of Ryazan pledges to support them in this war. Unfortuneatly for them, the Ottoman Empire supports Crimea against all their enemies.

Cyprus also supports Ryazan. They would get their share of the war as 40 000 Ottomans storm and take the island.

December 1516

The loot is divided. Moldavia is annexed by the Ottoman Empire, Crimea takes Ryazan. Once again, the Crimeans show their idea of annexing a nation. Thousands are put to the sword and the land is looted.

10 February 1517

Enthusiasm for the navy rises throughout the land. Crimea has no navy though but wealthy merchants fund the construction of 5 wargalleys in Crimea. The galleys are send to the Sea of Azov (between Crimea and Azov) to patrol the waters there.

27 March 1518

This is the day when Muhammad I received his nickname, “The Mad”. He shouts at plants and at paintings on the wall and declares himself ruler of the world.

The temporary insanity of the monarch leaves the country without much of a guidance for a year. Alexander and Vladimir manage to get more Russians on the council during this time and the Russian power at the Crimean court increases.

March 1519

The Khan regains his senses.

12 April 1519

Kazan revolts against the Crimean state. The army is quickly send to take care of the rebels.

25 January 1520

Muscovy has taken over the Byzantine mantle. They now declare them the home of all Russians and have taken the name “Russia”. Russia now claims all provinces where Russians live. Crimea sends troops the border with Russia.

28 January 1520

The Ottoman Empire vassalizes the nation of Algiers. Crimeans start to fear for their independence.

22 May 1520

Plague falls upon the province of Saratow, Krementjug and Crimea. 1 000 people die in Saratow, 1 000 die in Krementjug too and in Crimea 1 500 die. A historian would write:

"The climate in the city is terrible. Dozens of persons lay dead or almost dead in the streets. The guards of the royal palace shoot arrows at the infected men, keeping them away from the royal palace. 3 residential areas were set to the torch, together with the infected people inside of them."

4 June 1521

Astrakhan is asked to join the military alliance between Crimea and the Ottoman Empire. They accept.

Last edited:
7 The reforms of Muhammad I

5 May 1522

Muhammad: You wanted to speak me, Vladimir?
Vladimir: Yes, my Khan.
Vladimir walked in the meeting room and sat down at the table, facing the Khan.
Muhammad: You may speak.
Vladimir: Mighty Khan, I am a Russian. Like most of us, Crimeans, are now. I remember that I taught you when you were just a little boy. I taught you to read and write and taught you the ways of politics and governing.
Muhammad: Indeed you did, Vladimir. And I shall never forget your dedication.
Vladimir: Thank you my Khan. I must also say that I, and all Crimeans Russians, are glad that you have given all Russians semi-citizenship by accepting our culture and letting us develop it without forcing the Crimean culture on us.
Muhammad: My father was too conservative for these things, he never understood how to rule a nation, only how to conquer one.
Vladimir: Indeed, my Khan. But I must ask a favour of you.
Muhammad: Yes?
Vladimir: The Russians are still discriminated by some of the local governors. My people in the north of this great khanate are getting the impression they are not part of Crimea. The governors threat them as a part of “Extended Crimea”. If you would declare those provinces as part of Crimea, forever and after that and grant the Russians full citizenship. If the Russians would feel they are part of the core provinces of Crimea, they will be more eager to aid the cause of Crimea.
Muhammad leaned back and thought for a while.
Muhammad: I will think on this, I will announce my decision in a few days.

12 May 1522

GreatCrimea.jpg

Abdel T’Hong, the last man remaining from the old council, opposed the moving of the capital with all the power still left in his old body. Muhammad reacted to his opposition by making him governor of Ufa and stripping him of all his other powers.

A replacement was found in Uday Strak. He was, like Tarik was, an Uzbek from the Uzbek Khanate.

8 Sa’Dat I, “The Weakling”​

SaDatI.jpg

17 January 1532

On the square in front of the new royal palace in Lugansk, a crowd had gathered around the coffin of Muhamad I. The council stood on a stage behind the coffin. Vladimir walked to the front of the stage and elevated his voice so all could hear.
Vladimir: He was a great leader. He united the Turks, Mongols and Russians in this great khanate and made us all Crimeans. He founded Great Crimea and bravely sacrificed Kaffa and Kerch for this. He shall be remembered like a hero. For now, I present you with the new and mighty Khan. His name shall make the enemies tremble with fear: Sa’Dat I!
Sa’Dat I: I shall...uhm....bring great glory to this khanate. All enemies shall tremble....yes. And I....uhm....will also govern Crimea as a just....uhm....king.....erm...Khan!
Vladimir whispered to Uday:
Vladimir: He’s weak.
Uday: But his son is wise and strong, all we need to wait for is for little Sahib to grow up.

14 July 1523

Unhappiness among the Clergy. Sa’dat I ignores their demands.

13 November 1524

An uncooperative philosopher is arrested but Sa’Dat lets him go free again.

24 November 1525

Samara revolts against the policies of Sa’Dat I. The army is send and represses the revolt in a few days.

5 December 1525

Vladimir presents an exceptional court painter. Sa’Dat I doesn’t care about art and lets Vladimir handle the matter. Vladimir is smart enough to hire him.

21 December 1525

Sa’Dat I centralizes more power in the capital.

Crimea moves a step closer towards centralization.

1526 – 1527

Stability remains at –3. The few funds the state have gathered, are invested in tax collectors.

14 February 1528
Stability rises again.

15 February 1528

A noble is assassinated. Stability –1.

4 March 1528

Poor government policies start to show their effects.
Stability –1
Infra and trade investment – 400

1529 - 1531

Another two years of –3 stability. Lithuania is gathering troops on the border. Crimean does the same.

Last edited: