• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
In Wikipedia it is stated that Britain had 29 large warships,Russia 4,France 10.How can Britain have 60 BB's in 1914,or maybe pre-dreadnoughts aren't counted as large warships?

Sorry,i understand now.They had 29 MODERN large warships.

Last edited:
Speaking to Schutztruppe

Mostly a comment in response to the debate on the protective forces in Africa.

Togo - I agree it should be small and have MPs; perhaps a garrison force. It was pretty useless and collapsed within days. If you wanted exact numbers I can go dig them out - but really they are so useless it doesn't matter.

Kamerun - A different matter - they took until 1916 to be conquered. The specifics of the force I do want to track down. However they remained a cohesive force and even after the capture of their territory went across the border into (man my brain will not work tonight - I'll insert the territory later) and stayed their training until 1918.

S.W. Africa - Couldn't stand up (even with Afrikanner help) past 1915. Though I noticed with the AI issue they might last for a good long while.

E. Africa - The one everyone knows. I was considering coming up with a few events with this: 1) Leaving L-V with troops locked in Dar until 1914 - then he unlocks: I have to look it up but can you modify attributes for specific military units? I was wondering if he could have lower organization but a much higher morale (to illustrate the effect of his troops and his impact). 2) Also have the SMS Konigsberg which I thought should add a Reserve infantry unit and add 2 H. Artillery battalions (to show the addition of men and the guns from the ship were utilized by the troops).

In any case I think there can be some work done to improve Africa in the mod - simply to make it more interesting.

Captain Rohr said:
Togo - I agree it should be small and have MPs; perhaps a garrison force. It was pretty useless and collapsed within days. If you wanted exact numbers I can go dig them out - but really they are so useless it doesn't matter.

I can do the same - it is a minor point, though. :)

Captain Rohr said:
Kamerun - A different matter - they took until 1916 to be conquered. The specifics of the force I do want to track down. However they remained a cohesive force and even after the capture of their territory went across the border into (man my brain will not work tonight - I'll insert the territory later) and stayed their training until 1918.

Spanish Guinea. ;)

Captain Rohr said:
S.W. Africa - Couldn't stand up (even with Afrikanner help) past 1915. Though I noticed with the AI issue they might last for a good long while.

I think we have probably given up on getting the AI to do anything logical at all. If we specify one thing in the German AI file, 10 divisions will probably be sent to defend Südwestafrika; if we tweak it slightly, it will probably leave it completely undefended.

Captain Rohr said:
E. Africa - The one everyone knows. I was considering coming up with a few events with this: 1) Leaving L-V with troops locked in Dar until 1914 - then he unlocks: I have to look it up but can you modify attributes for specific military units? I was wondering if he could have lower organization but a much higher morale (to illustrate the effect of his troops and his impact). 2) Also have the SMS Konigsberg which I thought should add a Reserve infantry unit and add 2 H. Artillery battalions (to show the addition of men and the guns from the ship were utilized by the troops).

In any case I think there can be some work done to improve Africa in the mod - simply to make it more interesting.

Regarding 1), I think it is a good idea; you can certainly try specifying attributes for specific units in the .inc file, although it is not certain that they will manifest in game or last for any meaningful period.

In respect of 2), by specifying Dar es Salaam to the German AI as a port which should have ships stationed at, Königsberg will remain in East Africa without automatically heading home. Something can be done here for an event to portray Lettow requisitioning her guns.

Also, I have been meaning to write an event for the voyage of the Rubens for more than a year and a half but have never got round to it. :)

Allenby, glad we're on the same page. Too interesting a theater of war to just be forgotten about.

One idea I had was scripting for LV being a real pain and his impact on the theater. Perhaps you check every 3/5 months for the existence of his force. If he's still around you get: 1) South African War Weariness?/British War Weariness? (same effect but perhaps a "Desert Fox" like exasperation on the part of the public) 2) Opposite with Germany (War Exploits Rally the Population: -1 Dissent); 3) Drain on Britain? I was considering you could have a check and if his force still exists you get a drain of manpower/money in Britain. Perhaps the effect could grow over time? Just trying to show a) this force is annoying and b) the drain this did have on the war effort.

I've never dealt with the AI, but from what I've gathered it's darn annoying to deal with. We can forgo SW Africa and just leave it a weak force. It was pretty small at any rate.

Captain Rohr said:
One idea I had was scripting for LV being a real pain and his impact on the theater. Perhaps you check every 3/5 months for the existence of his force. If he's still around you get: 1) South African War Weariness?/British War Weariness? (same effect but perhaps a "Desert Fox" like exasperation on the part of the public) 2) Opposite with Germany (War Exploits Rally the Population: -1 Dissent); 3) Drain on Britain? I was considering you could have a check and if his force still exists you get a drain of manpower/money in Britain. Perhaps the effect could grow over time? Just trying to show a) this force is annoying and b) the drain this did have on the war effort.

I would question whether the war in East Africa was so irritating to the Allies as to warrant repeated events that draw away from their resources or fundamentally alter their dissent.

At the most, there could probably be one event that has a one-time effect. For example, in May 1915 Andrew Bonar Law was appointed at the Colonial Office and resolved to put an end to war in East Africa 'once and for all', quite aware that it was a thorn in the side of the British war effort. It was this kind of resolve that led to the eventual appointment of Smuts, with instructions to inflict a final defeat upon German forces.

Good point on E. Africa. I'll just work on giving LV a slim chance and trying to add the Konigsberg in when I'm able. Making Africa even an area of concern is more than enough. A player guided Germany can do whatever they want, but this might make the human UK player at least look at Africa more than once or twice.

Japanese 1914 OOB

Hello all
I am sure theres a reason for it?Maybe discussed before, but i just wondered why the Japanese seaplane tender/carrier Wakamiya is not in the OOB in the .inc file in 1914 and why japan has absolutely no air force to begin with in game?I know Japans not counted as a major but just wanted to know why.(although Wakamiya is a carrier name in game if you build one)??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_seaplane_carrier_Wakamiya
Japanese seaplane carrier Wakamiya - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
How many aircraft did the japanese have in 1914? Several countries posessed an airforce in 1914, but they only fielded a handful of planes. Perhaps this is why the japanese airforce is missing?

Firstly, the Wakamiya was not in service on 1 January 1914 (she was commissioned in August of that year)

Second, she only carried two aircraft (plus two spares in reserve). That's not enough to qualify for a unit in the game - the rule of thumb was one seaplane carrier unit for each 20-25 aircraft capacity in the navy.

Japan didn't have an air force in 1914. The army's Aviation Battalion was founded in December 1915. The Naval Aviation Corps was founded in 1916. At the start of 1914 there were only a few experimental imported aircraft and some pilots trained in France or America - the total number of qualified military pilots in March 1914 in Japan was 24 (20 Navy, 4 Army) - and they had to share aircraft as there weren't enough to go around. :) Since the cut-off for having an air unit was also 25 aircraft, Japan didn't qualify.

Well thanks all for the detailed info ,i forget that its TGW that has a August 1914 starting date for a scenario(so it should have been put in TGW?)

As for a small but existing airforce i would represent that with a very low strength air unit fielded in the starting OOB.Just a recon plane or a Seaplane with a very low strength.

I guess if there is a 1914 august scenario ever ,they will be added?And to the 1917 scenario?

For the January scenario shouldn't the conversion of the ship be represented with it added in the build queue with a completion date to match its commission date??

It is a very historical and important ship,it was originally captured from the Russians during the 1905 war,so the japs definitely had it in January 1914 although it was being refitted as a seaplane tender?

I am inclined to think it should have been added to the game.

Dr

What does OOB stand for?

Why thank you kind gent. I thought it was something off base, i knew it had to do with units though.

Russian Imperial Fleet in 1914:
Baltic fleet:
Dreadnouts:

BB-IV Gangut 21.10.1914
BB-IV Petropavlovsk 20.12.1914
BB-IV Poltava 4.12.1914
BB-IV Sevastopol 4.11.1914
Pre-dreadnouts:
BB-III Andrey Pervozvanny
BB-III IImperator Pavel I
BB-III Slava
BB-III Tsesarevich
Battlecruisers:
BC-II Izmail (in production) - on water - 22.06.1915
BC-II Kinburn (in production) - on water - 30.10.1915
BC-II Navarin (in production) - on water - 01.07.1915
BC-II Borodino (in production) - on water - 09.11.1916
Heavy cruisers:
CA-III Rurik
CA-II Bayan
CA-II Admiral Makarov
CA-II Pallada
CA-II Gromoboy
CA-II Rossiya
Light cruisers:
CL-II Aurora
CL-II Diana
CL-II Oleg
CL-II Bogatyr
CL-III Svetlana (in production) - on water - 28.11.1915
CL-III Admiral Butakov (in production) - on water - 1917
CL-III Admiral Spiridov (in production) - on water - 27.8.1916
CL-III Admiral Greig (in production) - on water - 26.11.1916
Destroyers:
Novik-class - 28 ships
Bujny-class - 49 ships
Submarines:
AG-class - 5 ships
Krab-class - 2 ships (minelayer)
Bars-class - 16 ships
obr.1906 - 11 ships
Minelayers - 8 ships

Blacksea fleet:
Dreadnouts:

BB-IV Imperatritsa Maria 23.5.1915
BB-IV Imperatritsa Ekaterina Velikaja 5.10.1915
BB-IV Imperator Alexandr III 15.6.1917
BB-IV Imperator Nikolay I (in production) - on water - 5.10.1916
Pre-dreadnouts:
BB-II Evstafiy
BB-II Ioann Zlatoust
BB-II Panteleymon
BB-II Tri Svjatitela
BB-II Rostislav
Light cruisers:
CL-II Kagul
CL-II Pamyat Merkurija
CL-III Admiral Nakhimov (in production) - on water - 25.10.1915
CL-III Admiral Lazarev (in production) - on water - 15.5.1916
CL-III Admiral Istomin (in production)
CL-III Admira Kornilov (in production)
Destroyers:
Novik-class - 17 ships
Bujny-class - 13 ships
Submarines:
AG-class - 6 ships
Bars-class - 13 ships
Krab-class - 1 ship (minelayer)
obr.1906 - 4 ships
Transports:
Elpidifor-class - 3+17 in production

Siberian flotilia:
Light cruisers:

CL-II Askold
CL-II Zhemchug
Destroyers:
Bujny-class - 11 ships
Submarines:
obr.1906-class - 4 ships
Minelayers - 3 ships
Transports:
Orjol

North Ocean flotilia:
Pre-dreadnouts:

BB-II Chesma
BB-II Peresvet
Light cruisers:
CL-II Varyag (in England)
Submarines:
Bars-class - 1 ship

BB-II - 1905-pre-dreadnought
BB-III - 1908-pre-dreadnought
BB-IV - 1911 dreadnought
CA-III - 1909 cruiser
CA-II - 1905 cruiser
CL-III - 1914 cruiser
CL-II - 1905 cruiser
Novik-class - 1914 destroyer
Bujny-class - 1905 destroyer
AG-class - 1915 submarine
Bars-class - 1911 submarine
0br.1906 - 1905 submarine

Information - http://wunderwaffe.narod.ru/Magazine/MK/1998_04/index.htm (russian)

Last edited:
Excuse me for bumping this page, but I was going to ask you fine folks here at the 1914 mod if you got any good links for someone who is working on the Victoria scenario. I copied your Serbian order of battle and it was very good. There is a need to fix the scenario and you people seem to be very educated in the matter.

The date of start for the Victorian 1914 scenario is August 4th. :)

PS: I would also want pictures of Danish, Swedish and Norwegian WWI generals, if you could find me some (And that would be original pictures, not the small leaderpicture type that is in Hearts of Iron 2). If you could do that, you guys would be put in my personal list of people that need a hug. :D

:)