• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Wenceslaus II said:
And the two new boxes would be mobility versus digging in, much more important than the current tech tree suggests.
The thing is, "mobility" or "digging in" are strategies, not unchangeable national doctrines. Every army wanted mobility. Every army instead turned to digging in when mobile warfare proved impossible. It wasn't an either-or choice.

Can you come back and help?? This mod and this period of history is like... erm, great to me. It actually got me back into serious gaming for the first time in one whole year. Thanks 2005 - 2007 1914 mod team!! :cool:

Right. Almost forgot. See your point :cool: Besides, leaving the tech tree alone = less work. Works out both ways :wacko:

Wenceslaus II said:
Can you come back and help??
To be honest, I don't really have time any more... too many other things claiming my attention. Plus I haven't even played HoI2 or TGW/1914 for (literally) years, so I wouldn't be much good to you anyway. But the 1914 threads I posted in back in the day still come up in my User CP page, and I do occasionally look at them.

And it's nice to be wanted. :)

StephenT said:
To be honest, I don't really have time any more... too many other things claiming my attention. Plus I haven't even played HoI2 or TGW/1914 for (literally) years, so I wouldn't be much good to you anyway. But the 1914 threads I posted in back in the day still come up in my User CP page, and I do occasionally look at them.

And it's nice to be wanted. :)

Ehh, s'all good :p Thanks for kicking us off, very much so.

goro said:
pictures:
Technische Universität Graz
Gebrüder Böhler & Cie
Theresianische Militärakademie

you decide

http://www.savefile.com/files/1356868

(343kB)

goro

For perfectionists: should be "Technische Hochschule Graz", since university status was granted only after WW2. As a graduate of the Technical University of Vienna, I have changed this Tech Team to "Technische Hochschule Wien" ....

goro said:
pictures:
Technische Universität Graz
Gebrüder Böhler & Cie
Theresianische Militärakademie

you decide

http://www.savefile.com/files/1356868

(343kB)

goro

Great pictures! Do you have the knowledge to turn them into Tech Team pics? I am no great master of Corel Draw etc.

tully said:
Shouldn't "Seaplane Carrier" depend on "Seaplane" being researched?
Nah, players will just come in droves complaining that they cannot research seaplane carriers, and we will have to tell them to research seaplanes over and over again. Too complicated.

I did some work on the aircraft tech tree found here, but I can't for the life of me get rid of that "Unknown string wanted" Does the tech tree itself come in a seperate file, or am I missing something?

#EDIT

About the special research needed for basic aircraft. I was trying to at least get a text for it, if not turn it into regular research.

Wenceslaus II said:
I did some work on the aircraft tech tree found here, but I can't for the life of me get rid of that "Unknown string wanted" Does the tech tree itself come in a seperate file, or am I missing something?

Linux to the rescue! ;)
Code:
$ for i in $(perl -ne 'm/\b(TECH_.*)\b/; print $1,"\n";' db/tech/aircraft_tech.txt  | sort | uniq | awk '!/^$/ {print $1}')
> do
>   grep -q $i config/tech_names.csv || echo "$i is missing from technames.csv"
> done
TECH_CAT_airtransp is missing from technames.csv
TECH_CAT_cas is missing from technames.csv
TECH_CAT_escfighters is missing from technames.csv
TECH_CAT_interceptors is missing from technames.csv
TECH_CAT_multifighters is missing from technames.csv
TECH_CAT_navbombers is missing from technames.csv
TECH_CAT_stratbombers is missing from technames.csv
TECH_CAT_tactbombers is missing from technames.csv

$ grep -i TECH_CAT_airtransp tech_names.csv
TECH_CAT_AIRTRANSP;Airships;;;;;;;;;;X

Convert the aircraft category names to uppercase and the error should go away.

Thank you kind sir. Will try out later :)

Didn't seem to help, kind sir lol. That damn unknown, unwanted, cast out in the cold string is still there!

Tech names.

Wenceslaus II said:
Didn't seem to help, kind sir lol. That damn unknown, unwanted, cast out in the cold string is still there!

It's ridiculously simple. Another hard-code "feature". (SIGH!)

For each TECH_APP_*_NAME, there needs to be SHORT_TECH_APP_*_NAME as well.

Your are missing two entries in tech_names.csv:

Code:
SHORT_TECH_APP_AIRCRAFT_30_NAME;Developed;;;;;;;;;;X
SHORT_TECH_APP_AIRCRAFT_31_NAME;First Ideas;;;;;;;;;;X

Last edited:
I played the 1897 scenario as Germany and noticed that the tech tree is far too small. Often there is nothing to research if you don't want to research more than two years ahead of time.

I suggest that as a quick fix to this problem the research point cost of each tech should be increased. Ideally, you should not be able to research everything.

thorwald said:
I played the 1897 scenario as Germany and noticed that the tech tree is far too small. Often there is nothing to research if you don't want to research more than two years ahead of time.

I suggest that as a quick fix to this problem the research point cost of each tech should be increased. Ideally, you should not be able to research everything.

There are some techs that could be added for 0.5.
I can think of at least two:
*experimental submarines
*another battleship class

Tony