• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Allenby

Custom User Title
8 Badges
Apr 4, 2003
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Hearts of Iron II: Beta
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
1914: Technology

HOI II has a simplified technology tree in which the player assigns 'teams' to research relevant projects. The length of time depends upon the nature of the project and the skill of the team assigned. Also, the number of projects that can be run at any one time depends on the country being played.

There are nine fields (as opposed to fourteen in HOI):

1) Infantry
2) Armour & Artillery
3) Naval
4) Aircraft
5) Industrial
6) Land Doctrine
7) Secret Weapons (V2s, A-bombs, helicopters and so on)
8) Naval Doctrine
9) Air Doctrine

This seems largely fine to me, although I would make a number of changes and have the following:

1) Infantry/Cavalry
2) Artillery
3) Naval
4) Aircraft
5) Industrial - or even Industrial/Home Front?
6) Land Doctrine
7) Secret Weapons - Tanks, Gas, Flash Spotting and Sound Ranging for artillery?
8) Naval Doctrine
9) Air Doctrine

As for researching the tech teams themselves, it's probably best to leave that until we have the fields sorted out themselves. :)

What do you lot think, then?

Looks good to me. Can't really think of any aditions right now.

If we find that we need a slot for something else: I think Aircraft and Air Doctrine could possibly go together?

I also think that many of the teams working on the Air Doctrine area should have badly matched expertise to reflect the fact that many false assuptions were made?

Maybe even penalties to Air research from certain Ministers in certain countries to reflect the fact that some people opposed the 'Air Force'?

(Disclaimer: I stand to be corrected on this - my reading in this era of Air Power is far from comprehensive ;) )

Flash spotting and sound ranging would be better as components of artillery techs, wouldn't they?

Other than that, looks good. Maybe the "animals in war" level could make a come back into the secret weapons.

czar1111 said:
If we find that we need a slot for something else: I think Aircraft and Air Doctrine could possibly go together?

Interesting. What do other people think about this? Personally, I think that there's far too much to fit into the Aircraft branch to justify merging it with doctrines too. Airships, reconnaisance aircraft, bombers, naval aviation and so on...

Gwalcmai said:
Flash spotting and sound ranging would be better as components of artillery techs, wouldn't they?

They would do under normal circumstances, but the 'secret weapons' field in HOI II suggests that, if possible, it ought to be maintained in some form for the mod, preferably as a separate field for the most elaborate technology. These techniques of making artillery more accurate were not exactly secret, but they were certainly sophisticated and technologically advanced for their time, and deserve to be given status alongside the tank.

I suggest that the first tank-related techs should go into Armour & Artillery, because otherwise it might be a little empty. This field could also include various techs to give different brigade attachments - heavy weapons, communications, whatever.

Once you've researched all the Tank techs in the Armour & Artillery section (activating the Tank brigade add-on) you will have the option to research actual Armoured Divisions as a Secret Weapon.

Likewise, Gas could first come under Industrial, but the actual gas brigades (assuming we use V1s as these ) can be another Secret Weapon.

I take it Lighter-than-air (i.e. Zepplins) will be in the aviation techs?

As for gas, the irritants should be the first gases researched, under the industry just as StephenT suggested. Then have say another tech like 'chemical industy', which also gives a slight bonus to supply efficiency, which when combined allows, in the secret tech field, the more potant chemical weapons.

Oh we might also want to have a a secret tech that is more of a doctrine for early armored use. Which is discovered when an appropriate land doctrine, and an appropriate armor is researched.

Shouldn't 'Secret Weapons' be renamed to 'Advanced Weapons'? It seems strange that the branch in HOI II's tech tree should have the name seeing as both sides in the Second World War were working on rockets, jets and the harnessing of the atom - their development was not as secret as the field name's title suggests.

Furthermore, if we are simply going to put later versions of gas and armour into the 'secret' field, they wouldn't be a secret by the time they are researched. Only the scale of their use would be a surprise.

Sounda fine to me. I wonder if it is possible to mod the chances on how quickly the 'secret' weapons can become available. So our new advance weapons has that flavor of randomness to it, but not the complete unsuredness of not getting your, for example, a full armored division each game.

I rather like 'secret weapons' - it has that authentic cloak-and-dagger feeling to it. Imagine a daring British spy disguised as a clergyman crossing the border with the design blueprints of the latest Austro-Hungarian Mobile Land Fortress hidden inside the heel of his boot...

Though I confess to not knowing how the "secret weapons" techs actually work in HoI2... Presumably they're unlocked once you've resarched the prerequisites, but is there also a random element involved?

As far as I know there is a certain randomness associated with it (there might also be a 'can't be researched before XX date').

The activation of the secret weapons techs are handled by events located in secret_weapon_events.txt in the events folder. Seems like there is nothing more than the requirement of certain techs and a 'random = yes' line that activates the event.

/Johan

Does tech tems go in here aswell, or do our friendly mod leader Allenby (may he live in eternity) think that they deserve a thread of their own?

I would keep them in here for now, and if/when we get our own sub-forum then we can branch out a bit more.

Do we have agreement on having the following tech fields?

1) Infantry/Cavalry
2) Artillery/Armour
3) Naval
4) Aircraft
5) Industrial/Home Front
6) Land Doctrine
7) Secret Weapons
8) Naval Doctrine
9) Air Doctrine