• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
StephenT said:
Not really my area of expertise... but were strength losses actually zero, or was the AI feeding in reinforcements constantly?

Also, you might want to look at the defence efficiency stats, or the misc.txt field. That does include these fields:
# Base chance to avoid hit if defences left.
# Base chance to avoid hit if no defences left.
The problem is, increasing the loss level would probably combats shorter, not longer...

Another thing to consider is changing the 24 hour delay period after an attack before you can make another - I think changing this to a week would reflect WW1 combat better, although this would need to be playtested to make sure it doesn't harm playbalance.

Finally, Have you checked out the other mods for vanilla HoI2? I think several of them looked at tweaking combat, and we might be able to adapt their work.

Starfire is the mod that has tweaked combat the most. The easiest way to up losses is double org (units and doctrines)- that doubles the length of battles and hence losses.

If you want battles lasting the same length and with double the losses, then double the org and change the ground defence efficiency parameters. The key here is to keep the chance to hit in the same ratio, if you want the same effects. For standard HOI 2, the chances to hit are 1-0.8=0.2 with defences left, and 1-0.6=0.4 with no defences. Changing these values to 0.6 (Chance to hit with defences left =0.4) and 0.2 (chance to hit with no defences 0.8) will effectively double the number of hits taken per round, and halve combat length.

Changing values to 0.9 (Chance to hit =0.1) and 0.8 (Chance to hit 0.2) will double combat length.

The defence efficiency affects EVERY combat, including air and naval, so you'll have to change naval attack and defence values as well.

Mithel is the real expert for modding combat length, and he found that it was also necessary to mod the changed ground defence efficiency in each .inc file rather than the misc.txt.

Anyway, advice as an outsider, have a look at what Starfire has done for a different feel.

http://www.starfireresearch.com/shmBB/

Last edited:
KingMississippi said:
What do yall think about this :
-500% Night Attack for all land and air units
Change the Base chance to avoid hit if defences left of 0.8 to 0.6
Change the Base chance to avoid hit if no defences left of 0.6 to 0.3

and hope that works to more reallistically simulate WWI combat.

I would say -500% is really too much, because there were examples of bloody night fighting even early in the war.
I know that it is hard to do, but some minor possibility for night fighting should be left.

Will there be a mining unit or something like that? So like they had at Ypres, so you can hit the trench of the enemy harder.And that would maybe help the fight a little bit.

Because I think if you attack a fortress that has been upgraded till 10 land fortifications it is almostly impossible to beat it with only infantery.

I would like to endorse Mr. Gjerg's sugestion (as much as my endorsement ain't worth too much, in reality! :D). Starfire has done a most decent job at modding combat, and checking it would probably give the 1914 team a good number of ideas of things to try. Specially, it seems to me doubling the org is a most efficient method of increasing combat lenght and casualities.

StephenT said:
Another thing to consider is changing the 24 hour delay period after an attack before you can make another - I think changing this to a week would reflect WW1 combat better, although this would need to be playtested to make sure it doesn't harm playbalance.
It would. The trench events would fire when Germany was just on the outskirst on Brussels, not when they were halfway into France.

Heey guys is there anything I can help with.I am not that good with computers.But maybe I can search for pictures or search for other things like date of battles or anything you guys need?

Well tell me if there is anything I can help with

:D

RangeR32 said:
Heey guys is there anything I can help with.I am not that good with computers.But maybe I can search for pictures or search for other things like date of battles or anything you guys need?

Well tell me if there is anything I can help with

:D

We could do with someone who is willing to convert pictures into HOI II format. Regarding historical information, we're already well qualified. :)

RangeR32 said:
Well send me the names of the people I need to search for and I will try to find them.

It is not a matter of finding the pictures. Rather, the task requires that existing pictures be reformatted to 50 x 36 bitmap images with a small white border. :)

jova said:
How to remove combined arms bonus? You get it when you mix guards and infantry.

I do not believe that this is necessarily a bad thing. The addition of crack divisions to an operation would doubtlessly enhance the chances of that operation being more successful than if standard divisions were to purely take part. This would be particularly true of assault infantry.

That can be discussed, although IMO, higher stats and org of the guards are enough to represent that. And why would guards get a bonus when you add weaker units to them?
Let me rephrase the original question: Is it possible to remove the combined arms bonus at all?

Yes, it can be changed in misc.txt

However, I still think that we should keep it, and at the same time, make guards really, really expensive, so that the bonus will be added not when guards are joined by infantry, but when infantry are joined by guards.

Is the combined armed bonus linked to the overall model type, or just to the hardness or softness of the individual unit? Does a Guards unit with 0% hardness still count as armoured for combined arms purposes?

I've noticed some things in the unit stats that, IMO, should be changed.

Infantry is much faster than Guards and Reserve Infantry. I can't see a reason for this. Guards, and especially reservists, don't carry heavier equipment than regular infantry. It would be best, IMO, if speed of all three types is the same.

Default organization: infantry 50, guards 75, reserve infantry 60. Why is reserve inf's org higher than regular inf's one? It should be the same or lower.

The 1912 Guards have lower defense values than 1912 infantry. Attack values are balanced well, but 1912 Guards' defense matches the one of 1898 infantry, instead to match 1912 infantry.

And I am questioning the Combined Arms bonus again. It might seem logical that infantry gets bonus when guards join them (although even then bonus is too big), but on the other hand, guard division would get the bonus when you join weaker infantry division to it, but if you join the another high quality guard division to it, there is no bonus. Doesn't make sense to me. IMO, it would be the best and the most simple solution to just remove that bonus.

The reason for these anomalies are that we have not, as far as I can remember, got round to giving the land units their attributes, thereby ensuring that they have retained their original HOI II statistics.

Rectifying this while we have the chance might be a good idea. :)