• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(12021)

Second Lieutenant
Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
I looked briefly at the manual (which would be much more useful if there was an index). I also did a search of the HoI2 forum.

Is there a listing of the hotkeys somewhere? In this instance I'd like to know how to capture a screenshot with HoI2 (it is some function key, I think) and where it is stored. But I think there are other keys as well. Thanks for any help. :confused:

These are the ones I remember (well, OK, I copied a list from Stonewall and added a few :D)

Province Commands
a = Build AA
n = Build infrastructure
i = Build factory
l = Build land fort
c = Build coastal fort

Unit commands
. = Cycle Through Divisions
, = Reverse Cycle Through Divisions (',.' are useful for cycling through divisions within the same unit)
PgUp = Cycle Through Units
PgDown = Reverse Cycle Through Units (PgUp/PgDown is most useful for a quick tour through all units rather than individual divisions - units on transports are shown hidden in the deepest Africa ;))
l = load to ship
u = unload from ship

General Commands

ctrl+ = Speed Up
ctrl- = Slow Down
+ = Zoom In
- = Zoom Out
\ = Find Province/Nation (? instead of \ on some keyboards)
tab = Chat in MP
pause = pause
HOME = Centre on Capital
F1 = VP and mission standing (in battlescenarios) on main screen
F6 = Go to the ledger on the last page you viewed
F10 = Menu
F11 = Screendump to file ScreenSaveXXX.bmp (does not work in ledger)
PrtScrn = Screendump to clipboard (does work in ledger, but you'll have to paste it somewhere not to lose it)
F12 = Open Console and enter commands, trigger events, or cheat outrageously (in SP)

Thanks. Hmm, so what text do I need to enter for the "Control" key in combination with a letter key? E.g., I'd like to make the diplomatic map CTL D.

Also, are there "buttons" for the four basic folders? Don't see them in buttons.txt.

ctrl+1...9 works just like in any rts game, you assign an army to be automatically selected when you press 1..9. double press to focus on it. i find it convenient to assign mostly stationary units, to be able to quickly focus on any part of the map i like without using the minimap.

btw, note that the "buttons.txt" key assignments are in ADDITION to any hard coded assignments, so be careful. having the same key switching map mode and upgrading industry may not be what you intended :wacko: also, they tend to cause strangeness if you're into renaming units...

anyway i assigned F3 to F5 to toggling between the folders, since F2 is already "show map" and F6 is "statistics".

I reassigned my F1-F4 keys to match the four main screens from left to right. Now I just need to get ESC to be a shortcut for the main map.

Just use a keyboard remapper, you can find a link to some in the EU2 support forum sticky thread labeled "useful tools and sites"