• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Deus

A et Ω
46 Badges
Dec 11, 2004
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Iron Cross
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
Foreword

This is my first AAR and I'm not an experienced player so forgive me my mistakes (both logic and lingual). Your advice is always welcome. I've tried to make notes during playing EU2 before but I've always been swept away by the passion to play. Well I'll keep on trying :)! I was pleased to find that making notes during playing makes the grasping and aknowledging of "events gone by" much easier and helps to follow the game plan set before the beginning.

Now, I'll set a gameplan for you to see and me to follow.

I´ll be playing the Papal States (Yes my capital will be in the Eternal City :rolleyes: ). My game scenario will be The Grand Campaign. I´m playing EU 2 ver. 1.08 (The countries have new and improved shields and flags).

Difficulty is set to easy since it is my fourth game/AI argessiveness ??? any Suggestions???

Goal of the game by the year 1819 is to reunite the Roman Empire and to restore its former glory.

The game will be divided into "Chapters" and every chapter will have a subgoal to fulfill. The I Chapter will be up .... [takes a guick glance at the calendar] in the 10th of January and will cover the period of 1419-1450.

The I Chapters subgoal will be "Dominance of the Bootpeninsula" eg. The Papal States will be the dominant force in the Italian Peninsula. Time to vassalize and annex. :eek:

It seems that I am a big hairy liar conserning the updates and chapters :D

Last edited:
Introduction

December 25, 1418

Pope:" The glory of God and his son Jesus is to be preserved across the civilized world. The muslim oppressors must be kicked back into the oblivion they came from." He continues:"For this both Holy and unholy task I'm creating a new position in the curia. The Chancelor of the State" said the pope "and..." he continued "since the position will be administrative I will appoint a nobleman to this position." The hall sighed and wispers grew louder. Some cardinals indicated relief, since the position would be extremely difficult to handle, others tried to object. Cardinal Furquise beside me wispered to his assistant "The old geezer must have gone mad! He gave such a position to a noble man, not to a man of God. A nobleman can never understand the ways of God, or to bring glory to him. Oh dear! Well at least he didn't appoint a peasant for the job. A nobleman has at least some manors."

"Yes, Master" the assistant replied.

The pope was well aware that this appointment would be one of controversy, but he needed a man whom he could trust. A man not associated with any of the lobby groups in the curia. He had been afraid that a group of cardinals were trying to assassinate him. He needed somebody to run the errands of the State and report directly to him.

The noise or the avalanche of wispers abruptly ended his thoughts. The Pope waved with his right hand to calm the avalanche of wispers.

Suddenly all was silent. "By this I decree Sir Karl von Engelberg as the Chancelor of State".

"Come here Karl", he continued.

I stood up and walked slowly to the Pope bowed and kissed the Ring. I was made. As I turned and faced the hall I could see the glances of the cardinals drilling holes into me. If glances could kill, I would be dead a million times.

"On the first of January in the year of our Lord 1419, Sir von Engelberg will take the office of the Chancellor of State" the Pope noted.

For You I am god.

Episode 1: Glory to God and Country

Jan 1, 1419, Sir Karl von Engelberg started his first day at the office of the Chancellor of the Papal States. His first duty was to assemble the Advisory board where the chiefs of various positions would meet. However he had only one advisor at this time.

Sir Engelberg to his personal Guard: Tell the servant to fetch Meurtenµ to me. I've got some things to discuss.

Guard:Yes, Sir!

15 minutes later the door silently slides open to reveal Meurtenµ.

Meurtenµ: Sire, You called?

Sir Engelberg: Sit Meurtenµ and brief me about the States Current affaires. Are there any points of concern?

Meurtenµ: Well Sir. As You know the States consist of 3 provinces, which generate a monthly income of 5 ducats. The Papal Fleet consists of 10 ships and the Army of th Holy Cross...

Sir Engelberg: The what?

Annoyed Meurtenµ continues: ... as I was saying the Army of the Holy Cross Consists of mostly infantry and some cavalry. But due to its demoralization we can't exactly say how big it is. Aproxximately 12 000 troops, Sir.

Sir Engelberg: Very well Meurtenµ. How many allies do the Papal States have? With three provinces and an army of true believers we aren't a match to anybody.

Meurtenµ responds: Well Sir, the situation is rather Sad. Although the Pope, Martinus V is an excellent diplomat, his interests are spiritual. So we aren't allied to anybody.

Sir Engelberg: Hmm. That is not good. Meurtenµ your assignement is as follows: To find Countries to form an alliance with![/COLOR

Meurtenµ: Well Sir. Im on it.

Meurtenµs work was extraordinarily quick. In the end of January Sir Engelberg knew the alliance he wanted to join. But there was only one obstacle, the Vaticans School of Divine Intervention produced mainly missionaries and other such riff-raff that a statesman has got nothing to do. It produced only 3 diplomats per year. But a country such as the Papal States needed at least 6 or more diplomats per year to find friends and enlarge it's hemisphere of power.

The state treasury boasted 900 ducats in January, but at this rate the mony wouldn't last for long. So on April 4th 1419 the chancellor with great foresight ordered the upgrading of tax facilities across the country.

In May the nation had it's first diplomat who was sent to Hungary with a mission to join their glorious alliance. The Hungarians accepted our proposal on the 8th of May. On the same date we found out that a state of war existed between the Holy Alliance of Hungary, Austria, Croatia and Papal States and the merchant nation of Venice. Since the land provinces of Venice were sieged by our allies, Sir Engelberg decided to take the island of Corfu. He ordered the the preparation on of the fleet and on 1st of August the fllet set sail to Corfu with 10 000 men of the Army of the Holy Cross aboard. Since the homeland was undefended Sir Engelberg decided to spend some money and ordered the training of 15 000 cavalry just beside Rome. Huge trainingcamps were set up to meet the demands of the chancellor.

On the 11th of September a the one of the Pope appointed a new Cardinal to the Court of Austria. Their monarh was overjoyed. Or relations improved significantly.

20th October marks the day when the soldiers of Papal States arrived in Corfu only to meet Venices superior forces waiting for them. The slaughter lasted for 5 days. On the 25th of Oct. the remainder of the Army of the Holy Cross retreated back on the fleet which started to sail back home only to find that Venices Fleet of 36 ships were waiting in the Ionian Sea. The Ionian Seabattle started on the 9th of Dec. and lasted well over a month. All the way up to 15th of January 1420 when our fleet was annhialated completly and 6 000 survivors of the Corfu battles sunk with them. It is surprising that our technically inferior navy lasted for such a period. The Papal Fleet consisted of 9 ships against Venices 36 ships. Venice had 4 times more ships!!

Well it was a sad day for the nation. Many good men fell that day in a battle that shouldn't of happen. The chancellor was devastated. What a waste!

On 4th of April 1420 our Regional tax offices were finally renovated and the reformed position of Tax Collector was created. From now on Tax Collectors were under the direct control of chancellor. Our tax revenues rose by 2 ducats per month.

On July 7 the Pope on sent my recomendation a new Cardinal into the French Court.

Since the chancellors mission was to unite the Italian Peninsula under one flag, he declared war on the 2nd of August on Mantua. Mantua was a small undefended and unallied nation to the north of our borders. We ordered the Roma Army of 14500 cavalry to march into Mantua and besiege their cities. The Roma army arrived to Mantua on the Nov 6 to find a small force of newly recruited infantry waiting. The battle lasted for two days and the Army of Mantua was completely anhialated. The Roma Army left back to homeland leaving 5 000 men of the newly formed Mantua Regiment to besiege the beautiful city of Pavia.

On the 17th April spies from Mantua assasinated a nobleman to create a spark of rebellion and force the Mantua Regiment out of Mantua to quell the rebellions, but the plan failed since nobody really liked the noble they assasinated and some were actually grateful to the mantuese spies for taking him out.

That final desperate attempt to lift the siege failed and on the 19th of April Mantua was united to our glorius but not so Holy (anymore) realm.

Since the assasinated noble had no descendants Sir Engelberg quickly issued an edict which allowed the nationalization of lands. Under that edict the Noblemans lands were nationalized. The other Nobles were intimidated but succumbed to the power of the chancellor (Centr +1).

The next three years were so unimaginatively boring that anybody really remembered that they existed. So should we, let us skip them.

On the 1st of May Sir Engelberg had Meurtenµ send a warning to the small state of Siena, but since they took it quite seriously nothing rally happened.

Sir Engelberg: What should I do get somebody to declare war on us. We have no Casus Bellis. If we declare war everybody will be quite upset.

Meurtenµ: Well Sir, Siena is in a Alliance with Tuscany, The Duchy of Athens and Genoa. They are quite probable targets of agression. If Siena joins in we'll have a CB on Siena.

Sir Engelberg: Super! Good work as usual Meurtenµ.

On 8th of March 1425 the Pope appointed a new Cardinal to the Court of Spain. Same thing occured with Portugal on the 26th of April.

Siena still managed to stay in peace. The chancellor was furious.

On the 26th of October 1426 an Indulgence Peddler was caught in Marche. The Pope had him beheaded, since he dind't have a licence.

May 20 1427.

Sir Engelberg: I've had it. I'm done waiting, Meurtenµ send a diplomat to Siena and declare war upon them.

Meurtenµ: But, Sir we will take a serious stability hit. At least 3 points, if not more...[COLOR]

Sir Engelberg: Send our agents across the nation to calm the folk down. We don't need any Celtic Rock festivals like the folk in Scotland have and declare war! (thanks Farq ;) ).

So Meurtenµ did. Our troops marched into Siena and arrived on June 12, 1427, we lost the 9 day battle and the Roma Army was forced to retreat back home.

Naples after observing the situation decided to declare war upon us on the 24th of June. So the Papal States were in a total war.

The Italian Alliance consisting of Siena, Tuscany, Duchy of Athens & Genoa versus Papal States, Hungary, Luxembourgh, Siebenbürgen & Austria.

Also the Alliance Napolitania consisting of Albania, Modena, Aragon & Naples versus Papal States, Hungary, Luxembourgh, Siebenbürgen & Austria.

What will happen next?

Take out your small enemies first and hope that your alliance leader can make a favorable peace in one of the wars. You don't need a gangbang at this point.

So far I learned not to attack Corfu in the beginning of the game, when you don't have a high enough troop morale. ;)

My advice: stay out of islands and mountain provinces when your land morale sucks!

Go land, Go offensive, Go quality, invest in Land Tech ... and then you will be able to defeat an army that is defending in mountains or on an island.

You waisted a lot of good troops in your attack on Corfu and Sienna.

I notice you built 15000 cav: I hope you didn't attack Sienna with your cavalry??

Well, this is a nice action-packed opening! :D I only hope that your big allies are actually doing something to help you out - I would think that the Austrians at least would be interested in snapping up some bits of Italy. Not that that's exactly what you want of course, but better than getting snapped up yourself! ;)

Judas= Well I wanted to diplovassalize and annex to hold my reputation, but that seemed impossible. I was too small to annex and that would have meant 10 years of wasted time. So the only option was to use the starting money to build an army and expand quickly. That of course meant lots of BB points. Also for a small nation to swing some fists you need big friends, so I managed to get some. :)

LewsTherin= I intend to unite the peninsula under my foot :rofl: by 1450. most nations in there are small and unable to defend themselves.

Meurtenµ= Thanks. Took your advice, invested in land tech and started to Centralize (it was 1 in the beginning) the nation to give technology researh the boost they needed. Oh I did attack Siena with my cavalry some 500 got killed but I exterminated the enemy. Then I left a little contingent to besiege the city and moved the bulk of my forces to homeland.

Farquharson= More Action coming up. I'm currently in 1446 and still kicking. Lots of wars in the mean time. I'll write the second chapter tonight up to 1433 since i have 6 A4 pages of notes and stuff to to later tonight. Oh and my big allies are quite helpful.

Wars and more wars

Chapter 2: Peace? What is that? Some sort of fruit? Hmm never heard of it!
1427-1433

Burning houses, manufatories everywhere. Thick black smoke pillowing to the sky. Rome, The Eternal City is ablaze. If one would walk the streets of Rome he'd see wounded and dying people laying on the pavement and on the grass. Once a beautiful city is besieged and bombarded by treacherous Naplese dogs. The city is surrounded by 22 000 enemies, mostly infantry and some 2000 cavalry, all ready to assault. Sir Engelberg is walking the corridors of the chancellory. He is thinking.

Countless days have passed from the 27th of July when a farmer rode into Rome to report that the Army Napolitana is coming. Thanks to him the City gates were closed and a militia gathered to defend each gate. The siege began on the same evening. No this hell has lasted 2 weeks.

Where is the Roma Army? Sir Engelberg thinks out loud as he enters his war room. Soon after Meurtenµ comes running.

Meurtenµ panting: Sir, Sir I have good news!

Sir Engelberg: Yes? What is it?

Meurtenµ: The Roma Army has been spotted in the east! It is nearing the city with tremendous speed.

Sir Engelberg: Hurrah! Thank god. We're saved! Send the militia to the walls to divert the enemys attention.

Meurtenµ: Very well, Sir.

As Sir Engelberg ordered the militia started shooting the enemy infantry with bows and crossbows. The general in charge of the siege ordered an assault. In the mean time the Roma Army had split to 4 pieces and 14 000 knights charged the Naplese from four different places creating such a confusion among the enemy ranks that about 10000 enemy infantrymen started retreating to south.

They were the only ones to survive. All the rest, well over 11 000 of them were slaughtered. Only 1000 cavalry was lost while lifting the siege of the Eternal City.

The Roma Army or RA as the Romans now called them went into pursuit of the retreating enemy. The final battle took place in Napoli from the 11 of September to the 18th of September 1427. The Naplese army was completly annhialated. On the same day the battle ended the RA started the besieging of Napoli. On the 28th of September fresh recruited army of Naples arrived from Apulia. The ballte for Napoli lasted up to October 1st. The Naplese army retreated back to Apulia having lost 4000 infantrymen to the RA finest cavalry.

October 18th marks the beginning of the siege of Mantua, as 6 000 Albanians together with 3 000 Genoese troops surrounded the city.

The RA left a small force to besiege Napoli and rode to Siena arriving on the 23rd October to find the Sienese army. The battle lasted with breaks up to the 18th of November and this time the RA was forced to retreat to Romagna to lick it's wounds. Luckily only 400 men were lost in that battle compared to 6000 Sienese casualties.

The break didn't last long. On the 30th December a formidable Tuscanese army surprised the RA. New Year passed and the battle finally ended on the 3rd of January 1428 with a defeat. The demoralized Roma Army returned to Rome to receive reinforcements. From now on the RA was a mixed army, since 6000 infantrymen had been added to the regiments of the cavalry.

For several months everything was quiet. Even the siege in Mantua had ended in the middle of January as the citizens drove the Genoese troops back to Lombardia. That wasn't the end of the siege in Mantua, however. On the 8th of March the Genoese troops reappeared again to beseige Mantua.

March 18th brought joyous news from Napoli. The siege there had ended and we had captured the city. On the 20th of March peace was signed in Napoli. Naples was forced to pay 50 ducats in indemnities. All agression had to stop.

Sir Engelberg ordered the Naplese Regiment to leave Napoli on the same day.
20th March also witnessed the continuous siege of Mantua.

On the 21st March Roma Army arrived in Siena to battle the now inferior Sienese army. "The battle lasted 3 days and the Sienese army was wiped from the face of earth like a spec of dust from the shoulder of a giant" one scribe reported. The reality was that on the 24th RA left a Regiment to siege Siena and left for Rome.

From Rome, after having rested for a few days the RA marched to Firenze only to get their asses kicked on the 22nd April.

June 1st saw the stability rise nationwide with that the risk of rebellion fell considerabely.

June 20th was a sad day since Tuscany captured Romagna. The Tuscanese army rode to Marche only to find the city guarded by the Roma Army. The RA this time however succeeded in the task of protecting the city and the 6 day battle ended in a glorius victory on the 14th August. The next assignment of the RA was to capture Romagna from the hands of the Tuscanese. On the 23rd September the siege of Romagna began. Meanwhile the replenished Tuscanese army rode back to Marche to finish the job they had started and the siege of Marche started on December 4th 1428.

December 24th in the chancellory started like normal Christmas Eve's day.

Sir Engelberg was peeling an apple in his study when door was slammed open and Meurtenµ ran into the study.

Sir Engelberg: What is the meaning of this?

Meurtenµ: Sir, Sir! I bring great news!!

Sir Engelberg: Yes, Meurtenµ? What is it?

Meurtenµ: We captured Siena!

Sir Engelberg threw the apple as soon as he heard the news. ( One chronicle marks that the apple hit a guard in the back of the head. This of course knocked the poor fellas lights out.)

Sir Engelberg: Great! Well done Meurtenµ! Well Done!

Meurtenµ: Shall I report to the Pope?

Sir Engelberg: No I'll do that myself! You start writing the declaration of annexation.

Meurtenµ: Yes, Sir.

Sir Engelberg noted to himself: It seems that our glorious realm has grown bigger.

New Year came and Siena wasn't still annexed. A rumour spread that a fowl disease was spreading amongst the population of Siena. Therefore the declaration couldn't be sent to Siena.

On January 13 the RA after leaving a small contingent of forces to besiege Romagna, arrived in Marche to fight the stinkin Tuscanese. The battle ended on the 18th and air was fresh again.

On 21st February 1429 the smell of Tuscanese soldiers left the province of Romagna too. That day marks the liberation of Romagna.

Finally on March 19th the declaration of annexation was read to the population of Siena and the nation had gained a province.

Hungarian forces had besieged Firenze for a 6 months when on the 19th of August the province fell. On the same day the state of Tuscany seized to exist. Sir Engelberg sent a letter to the Hungarian troops that they would do something about the "Odor of Tuscany".

September 10th saw the beginning of yet another Genoese attempt to besiege Mantua. The Genoese troops received a healthy kick in the butt on October 2nd. However they seemed not capable of learning that Mantua means in Latin "Kick-Some-Genoese-Asses" and made several attempts to start a siege. These attempts all ended in utter failure as the RA kick their butt every single time. On October 23rd they probably decided that enough is enough and didn't show their footprinted asses no more.

January 1430 saw the Genoese back in Mantua. They made 3 attempts to initiate a siege, but(t) :rofl: were kicked out every single time. Sir Engelberg thought that enough is enough and tried to make peace with Genoa (3 times), butt the Genoese embassador only refused.

Otherwise 1430 was a pretty uneventful year. Sir Engelberg needed a military access through Modena so wagonloads of stuff and letters rolled across the othewise peaceful realm of the Popes. December 8 is a infamous day, 1000 people died in Marche because of the Plague.

Pope Martinus V died in January and the Cardinals convened to choose a new Pope amongst themselves. Finally after several attempts on the 20th of February 1431 white smoke pillowed from the smokestack to let everybody know that a new Pope had beed elected. Eugenius IV was the new pope a elderly cardinal who was a compromise and a lousy one as such. Average at administrative skills was his best feature. Sir Engelberg however was happy since that meant more power and freedom to him.

On the 2nd March Modena finally granted military access trough her lands and on April 26th Roma Army arrived to Liguria to find the province completely undefended.

On the 1st of December 1431 Sir Engelberg was granted the title of Viscount. Meurtenµ received the medal of the Holy Cross for his services to the state.

1432 was a quiet year, Sir Engelberg was busy with internal policies and the realm enjoyed relative peace.

The end of the year brought good news however. On the second day of Christmas the Roma Army captured the Genoese provice of Liguria.

On January 7th 1433 Sir Engelberg received a letter from the Duchy of Athens. The Duchy of Athens was the leader of the alliance now that Siena and Tuscany no longer existed. They offered to pay 206 ducats in indemnities for the end of hostilities and for the withdrawal of the Roma Army from Liguria.

Sir Engelberg accepted the offer since war exhaustion was rising its ugly head.

Papal1433.jpg

Papal States in 1433​

Last edited:
Well, you made it out of that one with some scares. But nice work. I know you can't be totally happy with the Hungarian's "Oder Patrol" in Firenze, but I suppose it's worth it for now. But remember - the longer you wait to take it for yourself, the more likely it will be become part of the Big White Blob (and Milan too). After some time (and seeing how France forms) you might consider switching alliances and having the Big Blue Blob help you out.

Burgundy is doing great in your game, but why on earth is there a capital in Flandern? Doesn't that belong to Burgundy?

It has been a long time since I saw Bavaria that small! :D

Their cap. is in the right place. That must be Artois or someting that rebeled that has the same color as Burgundy.

Meurtenµ said:
Burgundy is doing great in your game, but why on earth is there a capital in Flandern? Doesn't that belong to Burgundy?

It has been a long time since I saw Bavaria that small! :D

I believe the state you referred is Artois who at that time was allied with the french. But Burgundy still owns the neighbouring provinces. Flandern etc. They by some coincidence share the burgungy crimson color.

Chapter 3: More trouble ahead

Due to the burning of the Great Library in 1442 we can reconstruct this period from the personal diary of the Chancellor.

Notes from the Diary of the Chancellor. 1433 AD. (last six months)

June 27, 1433: A notice from Napoli came claiming that the Pope was overusing his powers and occupying a piece of Napoli. Absurd! They must be insane to pick a quarrel with us, even if the might of Aragon is behind them. I will press the issue, maybe we will gain a Casus Belli against the arrogant Napolese.

June 30, 1433: Due to the boundary dispute, the citizens of the border regions grew anxious of Napolese military incursions or raids and our national stability dropped. Luckily the presence of our military prevented rebellions.

October 25, 1433: Our spies report that Venice entered a Military Alliance with The Knights, Cyprus and Serbia and joined the war against Croatia. Luckily these nations are far from us and can cause little harm. I believe a declaration of war ist o be expected from the vile Venetians soon. But their alliance can do little to help them.

October 26, 1433: A report came from the Bishop of Bern that Helvetia entered a Military Alliance with Burgundy, England, Kleves and Münster and joined the war against Castile and Portugal. Helvetia also joined the war against Scotland

Notes from the Diary of the Chancellor. 1434 AD.

Due to unrest among the peasants our stability dropped on February 5, 1434. Luckily I managed to convince the Pope to send preachers to pacify the populous, their efforts bore fruit on May 1, 1434 and our stability increased.

May 29, 1434: Today I wrote to the King of England, the letter was received by little enthusiasm. Our comment on the behavior of the French slightly improved our relations with them.

September 13, 1434: The ambassador of Ragusa reported the annexation of the Duchy of Athens. I sent my congratulations to the King.

December 5, 1434: England accepted peace with Castile., England pays 20$ in indemnities. The province of Meath was handed to Portugal.

December 7, 1434: Today the most joyous occasion occurred. I was having my usual dinner with the ambassador of Ragusa. During the dinner I suggested the signing of a Trade Agreement to stop the rivalry between our merchants. He accepted the offer on behalf of the King.

December 12, 1434: Unfortunately today Siebenbürgen declined our trade agreement proposal.
Notes from the Diary of the Chancellor. 1435 AD, A really long Year.

February 1, 1435: The Internal affairs advisor Meurtenµ reported that the scientists have completed the study on our fortresses and have found ways to improve them. We can buid bigger and stronger fortresses to protect our cities.
February 1, 1435: Our stability increased due to heavy investments in the traveling preachers. They adopted a new technique to calm the people. They hand out bibles and pacifiers to calm things down. (N.M.S.o.T.M. -- No More Sucking of Thumbs Movement created!)
February 2, 1435: Renatus di Anjou rose to the throne in Naples. It seems that the house of Anjou is going strong in the peninsula. They even managed to stir the calm on the countryside and make the people of Siena revolt.
April 27, 1435: Sienese refugees arrived to Rome today. Their reports indicate that Siena has been besieged by Rebel Scum, I immediately ordered the Roma Army to march to Siena to quell the rebellion.
May 18, 1435: Reports indicate that Roma Army just arrived in Siena. They’re attempting a surprise attack on the Rebel Scum.
June 4, 1435: Unfortunately reports indicate that we lost a battle against Rebel Scum in Siena.
June 19, 1435: Today most disturbing news reached me, the new monarch of Naples Renatus di Anjou declared war upon us! I am glad to see that some of our allies haven’t abandoned our side in the hour of need. Ragusa, Luxembourgh, Siebenbürgen and Austria joined our side in the war against the heretics of Naples, Albania, Modena, Aragon, Artois and Byzantium.
Only Hungary dishonored our Military Alliance. Maybe we can turn this to our advantage and liberate the “Oder Patrol” from Firenze as advisor Coz1 pointed out.

July 3, 1435: The Ottoman Empire declared war upon Byzantium, it draws many important resources away from the Heretic Alliance against their unjust war against us.

July 3, 1435: Our diplomat in Hungary reported that Croatia entered a Military Alliance with Hungary and joined their war against Genoa.
August 28, 1435: I received word that Roma Army has arrived in Emilia and engaged the hostile armies of Modena in Emilia.
September 4, 1435: Success! Our superior troops won a battle against Modena in Emilia and have left a small contingent which started a siege in Emilia.

October 14, 1435: I ordered the regrouping of the Roma Army. The freshly recruited troops now named the Marche Regiment arrived in Emilia and are besieging the city. Within a month Roma Army is expected to arrive in Marche.
November 5, 1435: Today Roma Army arrived in Marche, in a few days tha soldiers must march on to Napoli.
November 29, 1435: Roma Army has arrived in Napoli and engaged hostile armies in the province.
December 10, 1435 We won a battle against Naples and initiated a siege in Napoli.
December 28, 1435: The ambassador of Genoa reported that Isnardo Guarco rose to the throne in Genoa.

ScreenSave30.jpg

Notes from the Diary of the Chancellor. 1436 AD.

January 26, 1436: Aragonites today arrived in Mantua and is currently under siege.

February 9, 1436: Our neighbor Savoy entered a Military Alliance with France, Bourbonnais and Auvergne and joined the war against Crimea.

March 4, 1436: I glad to write that today we captured the province of Emilia from Modena. I must send my peace proposal to them.
March 6, 1436: Modena had the audacity to reject our generous peace offer!
March 10, 1436: The war in the south is also going quite well. General Farquharson reported that we captured the province of Napoli from Naples! This war is going well for us indeed.
March 26, 1436: The reinforcements today arrived in Napoli, our forces are soon ready to push southwards towards Apulia.

April 4, 1436: Foreign Office reports that Tommaso de Campofregoso rose to the throne in Genoa.
April 12, 1436: Today I received a letter from 20 Merchant families, they were extremely unhappy with my Trade policies and decided to withdraw 200 ducats they wanted to finance in the University’s economic studies.
April 27, 1436: Roma Army has arrived in Apulia and engaged hostile armies in Apulia. Today the unthinkable happened; we lost control over Siena to Rebel Scum. Unfortunately the bulk of our forces are away, campaigning in the south.
May 12, 1436: To further increase the shortage of soldiers it seems that we lost a battle against Naples in Apulia.

Is the tide of war turning? Have we run out of luck?

ScreenSave31.jpg

Last edited:
Judas Maccabeus said:
Heretics, schismatics, and Angevins, oh my! You're the Papal States, God should be on your side! :(

I am God! Muahahahaaa. You'll see, soon they'll all have the one true religion.