• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(25608)

Commander
Feb 10, 2004
Chapter One

The city of Athens is never treated well by foreign invaders. The Persians destroyed it, the Romans sacked it, and everybody after them merely used it as a tool for their own purposes. So in 1419, it was the city of Florence that was taking its turn in history to oppress Athens.
It wasn’t all that bad. At least we enjoyed the protection of their military against the Byzantine Empire.

So it was on the Second of January 1419, at about 9 o’clock, that I was answering an urgent call by a firm I work for, called the “Fish shop”.
And the reason for such a silly name? Well, Athens is nearly next to the sea. The firm is based in the port of Piraeus, Athens access to the sea. The ancient Athenians had once built a set of walls to connect the city with the port, so that their access to the sea was not severed. But they had long since been destroyed.

The Fish shop was a cover for what we really were. An organisation run by Florence, recruiting private soldiers to fight a secret war against any enemies or potential enemies. And that is what I do.
Finding the fish shop is quite a difficult task. Most Athenian’s fished, or traded, Piraesus was simply awash with shipyards and boats.
I walked through the narrow streets, narrowly missing being run over by the many horses and traps that run through the streets. The smell of fish and spice drifted through the port, and a dense fog of the morning hung over. I finally got to ‘Acropolis Road’, the main road through Piraesus, and where most the fishing salt houses were.
I remembered that it was the seventh salting house down. The smell of fish was unusually bad around here. Nobody would ever suspect that the salting house was anything but what it looked like, especially (or hopefully) our enemies.
I went to the door and knocked four times, leaving three seconds between each knock. That was how we knocked so that somebody inside knew we were friendly. Three quick knocks meant that there was danger, or somebody was holding a knife against my neck.
The door opened, and I entered.

Inside, stood a boy, who probably was no older than twelve. Without warning, he stomped on the floor four times, the same way I had knocked on the door. After fifteen seconds, a section of the floor suddenly folded out, revealing a staircase.
I walked down the staircase. A few seconds later, the staircase folded back in behind me, worked by some secret mechanism. Following the staircase, I came into a small circular room. In the middle of the circular room was a long table, with three, well-dressed military men behind it. They looked up. The man in the centre did the talking. Hence, the name of our boss was the centre man.
“Your name?”
“Private Eurilis Hellas of the Athenian Tenth, your goodness.”
“Your age?”
“Twenty-three, your goodness.”
That’s another thing, you call your superiors your “goodness”.
The centre man looked down for a second, shuffling though a few papers, then he picked them up and handed them to me.
“Your assignment. Your commander has told me you are one of the best.”
I nodded.
“Well, the basic thing is, a Byzantine ambassador is visiting the city in the next few days. He is joining in the parade of the Epiphany, down the Panathenaic way. Florence wishes to go to war with the Byzantine’s, but understands that the citizens of Florence won’t be happy with it. If we succeed in assassinating their ambassador, and making it look like it was committed by us, but against our will, then the Byzantine’s may be pushed into declaring war themselves, but with our stability and reputation intact.”
I nodded. If I was caught, or failed, either way, I would be spending the rest of my life in Constantinople, being tortured in a cell. The centre man would make sure of that. If I succeeded, and escaped without being recognised, I would get a large pay packet.
“How am I supposed to make it look like it’s against our will?”
He looked into my eyes for a few seconds.
“Work it out.”

I left the way I came, memorizing what was on the sheets of paper, and throwing them in a fireplace on the ground floor. The boy opened the door for me to let me out.

Last edited:
Well it looks like the lad has his work cut out for him...setting all that up and not getting caught and letting the enemy know who REALLY caused things should prove most enlightening...

Chapter Two

The Panathenaic way is an ancient road that runs from the Agora in the centre of Athens to the ruins of the Acropolis. The ancient Athenians had done a procession every four years in honour of Athene, the goddess who is the cities namesake. Now, with mostly Orthodox Christians living in the city, processions mark the more important Christian festivals, such as the Yule festival, which some have named Christmas.

I was sitting in an Inn looking onto the Panathenaic way, near the Acropolis. I decided that it was less crowded in this part of the city, being further from the Agora (city centre). I was sitting at the window, surveying the procession that was coming from the Agora, up towards the Acropolis. I was hidden inside the Inn, in a bedroom I had rented. It was reconnaissance time.

The time ticked by, nothing seemed to happen for ages. The streets were quiet, as most people were at work or shopping at the moment. The procession would come at midday, according to the landlord of the Inn.
It’s a tedious job, but one has to stay awake. Every time I started drifting off, I had to give myself a slap round the face.
After what seemed like hours, I finally heard what I had been waiting for. In the distance, I could hear singing, in honour of the occasion of Epiphany, which the Orthodox Christians of the city treated as Christmas.
I could now see the procession clearly, and leading from the front was the Chief priest of the city. Behind him was the Governor of Athens, appointed by Florence. On his left was the Duke of Athens.
Two metres behind came what I had been hoping for. It was the ambassador for the Byzantine Emperor, who was representing him in the procession.
But I then noticed that he was surrounded by at least eight soldiers, all armed with swords at least six foot long, and with crossbows slung over their back. This was going to be difficult.
After them came many of the priests from the ten districts of the city. I knew tonight that they would be carrying candles, in the procession back to the Agora. The ambassador would be carrying the flame of the Emperor. Whilst I had been asking around about the procession, people told me the flame was the biggest of them all.
I grinned. Why did he have to make it so easy for me?

In my room was a man I knew. His name was Gregory.
“I need you to be in a window the opposite side of the road”, I said to him.
He was sitting on the bed, nodding. I was standing by the door, hands on hips.
“I’m going to poke my head out the window. I’ll be wearing a Tuscan military uniform. I’m going to be a distraction. I’ll be aiming an arrow from my crossbow at the ambassador.”
He nodded again.
“Hopefully, I’ll cause enough distraction to stop the procession. Whilst the soldiers and everyone are trying to analyse me, you will shoot the ambassador.”
He nodded. He showed no emotion.
“It’s going to happen tonight.”

OH YEAH he's BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I thought the flame would have something to do with it...flammable liquids etc...? anyways, great to see you writing again! And Im happy to see that your writing style is still like this, because it is the best!

Oh, and yes: continue, please:D

Th :rofl:

Will Will return? Pleez,pleez,pleez:d