• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Is there anyone here that can explain how combat works in this game? What are the dos and don'ts? What is the formula behind the battles? What are the modifiers (terrain, morale etc)?

Also how can we de-mobilize an army? How can we recruit new armies? I could not find a single strategy guide for the beginners.

Jodien said:
Is there anyone here that can explain how combat works in this game? What are the dos and don'ts? What is the formula behind the battles? What are the modifiers (terrain, morale etc)?
There isn't much info on this stuff because it's virtually irrelevant to gameplay. Many vets (like Veld) don't bother because CK battles are almost always determined by troop numbers, not army composition, martial skill, technology, etc.

But there is a thread in the FAQ on it. It may be obselete, but all the information in it sounds right.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142675

Jodien said:
Also how can we de-mobilize an army? How can we recruit new armies? I could not find a single strategy guide for the beginners.
Each province has a regiment. After you activate the regiment (by clicking on the dude in the province scrteen) there is no way to recruit additional armies. Sometimes you get events where mercenaries offer their services, but otherwise the only way to create more armies is to conquer more Countys.

You have to demobilize your troops one army at a time, which ussually means that you have to demobilize each regiment individually. You select the regiment, and in the bottom right corner of the regiment screen ther's a button that says "disband."

BTW, try to get you troops back into your realm before you do this. Click on the relations map and move to the nearest blue county. If you disband in a province outside of your realm your troops dissapear into thin air, but if you disband within your own realm they magically return home.

Nick

BTW, try to get you troops back into your realm before you do this. Click on the relations map and move to the nearest blue county. If you disband in a province outside of your realm your troops dissapear into thin air, but if you disband within your own realm they magically return home.

Blue ?

Don't you mean green ?

Or does the Mac version have different colours ? :)

Green is your realm (demesne+vassals)
Blue is your ally

I could not find a single strategy guide for the beginners.

As a beginnersguide, this AAR
Bohemia, a guide to success is very helpfull

Is there any guide for money management in this game? Mobilizing armies in wartime makes the treasury go under -1000s within a few months because of army upkeep!! There seems no harm for having a huge debt other than the inability to build anything.

Jodien said:
Is there any guide for money management in this game? Mobilizing armies in wartime makes the treasury go under -1000s within a few months because of army upkeep!! There seems no harm for having a huge debt other than the inability to build anything.

Being in debt can also mean that you lose province-improvements because you can no longer pay for their upkeep.

If you are at war, mobilise at least 1 regiment from your own demesne and for the rest use vassals regiments as much as possible. You don't pay for the upkeep of your vassals army

If you are fighting/marching in provinces with a road and an extensive road, you can set your army maintenance to zero. Since not paying for your troops ads 20% attrition while a road subtracts 10% attrition and a extensive road 20%.

Also if your troops are at sea, you can set army maintenance to zero, cause troops at sea lose a set amount to attrition, it doesn't matter if you pay them or not.

If you are a vassal and your liege takes control over your troops, also set army maintenance to zero, the AI will then pay for their upkeep

Other then that, just go into debt, nothing really bad happens because of that

My character is the King of Aragon and Navarre with his shield staying as the kingdom of Aragon shield.

Now if he were to take the King of Castille title will the shield change to the Castille one cause thats what happened to Alfonso, King of Leon when he took over Castille from his brother (i'm talking in game BTW).

DadioDog said:
My character is the King of Aragon and Navarre with his shield staying as the kingdom of Aragon shield.

Now if he were to take the King of Castille title will the shield change to the Castille one cause thats what happened to Alfonso, King of Leon when he took over Castille from his brother (i'm talking in game BTW).

No, you will keep the shield of Aragon.

You will always keep your first kingtitle as your primary title.

When my King's efficiency starts running low (80%) what kind of counties should I start giving away to counts in order to make the most dough or for the better of the kingdom?

1. The weakest counties
2. The strongest counties

I usually give away the poorest/weakest. That way you have the larger armies the stronger provinces give at your disposal without having to go through your vassals.

My Castillan Prince has married a Welsh Catholic and now his first born has a name I can't even say because he is Welsh Catholic.

Is there some 50:50 chance that the kid takes on either the mother's culture or the father's?

I kind of want to avoid this happening for RPs sake cause I don't think the guy would call his son by a welsh name and I hope that the Welsh kid isn't going to slowly convert all my settlements into welsh ones.

Yes, there is a % chance of the child getting the mother's culture, but it is less than 50. The province they reside in also matters...

No Spanish provinces will turn Welsh though, over some generations it is a good chance his descendants will turn Spanish again.

The culture of a child is determined as follows

Father 70%
Mother 15%
Cultural of capital province 15%

Salic Consanguinity

Hi! First post here. Happy to see the forum.

I got CK for Christmas, and my wife and I are already hooked! Wonderful game!

Nick B II said:
There are also succesion laws that determine succesion order. Primogeniture gives the eldest son the throne, consanguinity gives your most important son the throne, and elective gives your strongest vassal the throne. Salic means that inheritance lines can't be traced through women, semi-salic allows allows inheritance through women. Players almost never use semi-salic, as it gives no gameplay advantage and can end your game. You're playing a dynasty, not a country, so if the next King has a different name than you...
So I really like the idea of salic consanguinity, but when I choose it, it doesn't seem to work right.

I was playing a count who had four adult sons and an adult daughter, all with sons of their own. I had long since switched from the default semisalic primogeniture to salic consanguinity to prevent my dynasty from losing its title. But for some strange reason, my daughter's sons were in my succession order before some of my younger sons' sons. The way I understood salic inheritance, the title could never pass through a female line, no matter what.

I switched away from salic consanguinity to salic primogeniture to keep the title in my family, but now my weaker first son is next in line for the title instead of my stronger second son. Kind of a bummer for me, but it's better than a sudden "You surrendered" message.

Any ideas what happened there? Do I misunderstand salic consanguinity? Do I have to save and reload after switching inheritance laws?

Welcom to the forum

It sounds like you are using an older patch of the game. Before patch 1.05. salic consanguinity was bugged in the way you described.

Install patch 1.05, that should fix the problem.