• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
:D .. Well, it's .. still not in a very prominent position, and thus hard to notice! Okay, okay, I'll shut up now.

(If nothing else, maybe more people will notice it because of the bump)

Even if it was more noticable then people would still ask the same question over and over again (nothing wrong with that BTW). f.e. a lot of answers to questions that people have can already be found in the FAQ yet people still ask them.

:)

The fact that this thread can be found in a sticky. proofs the fact that nobody reads stickies.

I see that this thread is no longer a sticky. (Please infer a wink here.) I also see that there are a couple of other newbie threads which have not been rolled into it. Since I have newbie questions myself, I debated whether to start yet another thread, but decided that this one existed for a purpose, and therefore I should honor its purpose.

I have spent about a day each reading through the FAQs, this thread and the other threads in this part of the forum, and several of my questions were answered, but in at least two cases my poor brain was unable to comprehend the answers, so please pardon me when I ask them again.

I am playing Deus Vult 2.0 (Mac). I am posting here, rather than in the VP forum because the VP forum is essentially dead. (Ask NickB.) All situations assume 1066 campaign. I will start out with some 'easy' questions:

1) What determines where your capital is located?
2) How do you move your capital?
3) If your capital moves to a province of a different religion or culture, will that tend to begin converting the rest of your country to this 'alien' religion/culture?
4) I am the Duke of Saxony. If I inherit a county (Freisia) that is a vassal of another Duke (Lower Lorraine), will this county remain part of his duchy, or shift to mine?
5) As the Duke of Saxony, my marshall is my heir, who also happens to be my father. If I give him counties of his own to rule (he's a very poor marshall, and this gives me the chance to replace him), would I inherit them back when he dies? I'm his only child.
6) If I change inheritance laws (or faction balance of power, or appointment of bishops) before I give him the counties, will his counties use my inheritance law (faction balance, etc.), or the default?
7) Since counties tend to develop slowly, would it be smarter to add some improvement before giving him the counties, or wait until they are again in my desmene?
8) If I am the King of England, and I give one of my Ducal titles to my second son, who is landless, will that also give him the three counties that comprise that duchy, or will it be an 'empty' title?
9) Playing as the King of England, I have noticed that within a month of my granting a Ducal title, the new Duke will always create Counts to be his vassals. I know that there is a prestige reason for doing so, but is this automatic, or will some Dukes be content to rule their entire duchy as their desmene?
10) I have read that if a vassal declares war, his AI liege will automatically join in, then end the war quickly by accepting a cheap piece that leaves the vassal nothing. This is appalling, if true, but just to clarify: If I am the Duke of Saxony, and I declare war on the Count of Lubeck (an independent), is there any real chance that the King of Germany will allow me to conquer it and add it to my desmene?
11) Does the same 'liege automatically joins in' rule apply during Crusades? If I am the Duke of Saxony, the Pope declares a Crusade to liberate Jerusalem, and I declare war on one of the Pagan tribes along the Baltic coast, will the King of Germany step in to prevent my success?
12) I am the Duke of Saxony, and by some miracle I have conquered the County of Lubeck. The Count has three claims on titles to adjacent Mecklemburg lands. Is there any way I can demand that the Count turn these claims over to me?
13) Is there any point in doing so, since the claims are on Pagan lands?
14) I own enough counties to create a ducal title. If I do this, will it reduce the prestige cost of claiming title to the remaining counties? The bad boy cost?
15) If I go to war with the Duke of Mecklemburg and win his Ducal title in the peace, will that give me control over his vassals? Over his desmene?
16) Playing as the King of England, I have had immense difficulties 'winning the peace' in wars against Wales, and I foresee the same difficulties playing as the Duke of Saxony against Stettin. If my objective is to capture all provinces controlled by the Duke of Mecklemburg (two as his desmene and two as vassals) and install good Germanic Catholics as their rulers, please tell me what I should do to incur the lowest bad boy cost.
A) Will it make a difference if I have claims on some of the titles (see question 12 above)?
B) Do I need to declare war on just the Duke, or also on each of his vassals?
C) In which order should I accept surrenders? (Inevitably, as William in Wales, I end up accepting the surrenders in the wrong order and having to go to war again, and again, to finally take all the lands.)
D) Should I demand the Ducal title in the peace negotiations, or would it be better to usurp it from the landless Duke?
E) Does that answer change if I have a claim on the title?
17) It says that attrition increases greatly if your troops cross neutral territory. If I have to cross the territory of my own vassal, but I haven't invited that vassal into the war, does that count as neutral territory?

I am sure there will be more, but that should do for the present. Thank you for taking the time to read through this, even if you just shake your head and do not reply.

Last edited:
1) There are a lot of factors which determine the place of your capital. It usually is your richest province with the same culture and religion as your ruler and is within a default province of your primary title.

2) You can only 'move' your capital by giving away the province that currently is your capital

3) In general, yes

4) It will become part of your realm

5) In your specific case, yes

6) No, newly created feudal vassals all have the same default laws. The default inheritance law is 'semi-salic primogeneture'. Bishoprics have their own special inheritance laws.

7) Yes

8) You can't give duke-titles to landless courtiers, you will first need to give those people a county and only then you can give him a duke-title. The county you give him doesn't have to be part of the default duchy. The counts that are part of the default duchy and who are your direct vassals, will then become his vassals.

9) The AI will create new vassals if he is over his demesne-limit or if he has mature sons.

10) Yes there is always chance that you gain that county. But if your liege has no claims on that county himself then he will usually settle for peace quickly. A trick is to declare war first on someone else (a weak Pagan or Muslim realm far away), wait till your king goes to that fight that enemy and then declare war on the person whose titles you really want.

11) If you declare war on someone, your liege will also do that.

12) No

13) You don't need claims on pagan or muslim lands. So yes if it was possible it would be useless.

14) No it will not. But if those counties are independent and also held by christians then those counts may offer to become your vassals at some point.

15) You will then gain the duke-title and his vassals.

16A) You don't need claims on Pagan titles.

16B) You will also need to declare war on his vassals. But that is not really needed, once you get the duke-title you will also get them as vassals and once they are your vassals, there will be events that convert this pagan vassals to catholics.

16C) If you make peace with a liege, his vassals will be also at peace automatically. So first make peace with the vassals and then with their overlord.

16D) Just taking the duke-title (and at the same time give up the claims to the other titles of him or his vassals) is the best strategy since that will give you none or very little badboy-points.

16E) No

17) Not sure here, but I believe it is not considered neutral.

Thank you for taking the time to wade through all of that, Veldmaarshalk. Most of your answers are easily understood, but I'm going to return to 14-16.

14) In the specific case that I am the Duke of Saxony, you are saying that if I win the county of Holstein in a war with the Duke of Slesvig (and presumably his father the King of Denmark), which will give me enough counties to claim the title Duke of Holstein, the Catholic Count of Lubeck (the third potential county in that duchy) might petition to become my vassal? Even though his people are Pagan West Slavs and he is a West Slav?

15A) You say that if I go to war with the Duke of Mecklemburg and win his ducal title, his vassals will become mine. In reference to your answer to 16B, will they swear to me if I haven't declared war on them? (Based on your answer to 14, probably yes, but not soon.)

15B) What will happen to his two desmene counties? (I am very interested in making the County of Mecklemburg part of my desmene, since it is quite prosperous compared to other counties in my neighborhood.)

16D) Will I also reduce my bad boy points, but not as much, if I grant the other counties (other than Mecklemburg) to my courtiers or existing vassals?

18A) In reference to my new question 14, The Duke of Slesvig is the son and vassal of the King of Denmark. Would it be a safe assumption that if I declare war on the Duke, the King will declare war on me?

18B) If the King of Denmark declares war on me to support his son, is he likely to demand aid from his other vassals?

18C) If the Duke of Slesvig declares war on me a decade later in an attempt to regain his lost county, is the King of Denmark likely to also declare war on me?

18D) If the King of Denmark declares war on me to support his son trying to regain his lost county, will the King likely call upon his vassals?

19A) Finally (for that topic), If I find myself at war with both the Duke and the King, regardless of circumstance, is the best way to end up with the County to come to a separate peace with the Duke?

19B) And in order to convince the Duke to cede Holstein to me, I'll almost certainly have to capture both of his counties, then ask for only one in the peace, yes?

20) The County of Holstein is relatively poor. My inclination would be to grant it to a courtier or one of my existing vassals, rather than keeping it as a desmene county. Would vassalizing it make it easier for the Danes to recapture? I am thinking that whoever I assign it to might surrender it more quickly than I would, and I wouldn't be able to keep them from making a separate peace.

And finally for this set of questions: You answered 'yes' to question 7, above, but I was hoping for an either/or answer. Are you saying 'yes I am better off to make improvements before giving the counties away', or 'yes would it be better to wait until I re-inherit them' (hoping that my father will have done something with them during the years he owns them)?

Last edited:
14) The religion of the province doesn't matter. But if the ruler is christian then he might, though normally he will pledge to the king of Germany since that is his highest possible liege

15A) If you take the duke title then the vassals of that title will become your vassals

15B) Normally they will be part of a 2-county independent realm ruled by the former duke of Stettin

16D) Yes, granting away titles will reduce your BB

18A) A liege will always declare war on you if you declare war on one of his vassals it doesn't matter if that vassal his is loving son or his arch-enemy, just being his vassal is enough to get him into the war.

18B) He will most likely call up all his troos (so including those of his vassals) since you are the duke of Saxony and your liege the king of Germany will also be in the war.

18C) If he is his vassal yes. Liege always declare war on people who is vassal starts a war with. Though in this case it is very unlikely that a count will declare war on your might duchy. Especially if you are still part of Germany.

19A) Huh ??? If you are at war with both of them and you then make peace with the king first you will then also be at peace with the duke. What is better or worse totally depends on what you want to achieve with this war.

19B) Yes

20) Doesn't make a difference

7) Yes you are better of with building improvements first in a province, before giving it away to someone. The AI will built improvements himself (if he can afford it) but he may not built the things you find important.

Very good, sir! Two more clarifications, one for you and one for me, since 19A and 20 look at the same situation from two sides, therefore it would seem the answers should be the same:

19A) What I meant was, since I can only win the County of Holstein from the Duke of Slesvig, would it be better to make a separate peace with him, take my county and go home, hoping the King of Denmark will lose interest in prosecuting the war? It would seem to me that I can't win the county in a peace with the King, but coming to peace with the King would end my war with the Duke, so making peace with the King would defeat my purpose. On the other hand, based on your answer to 20, maybe the King would gain a claim on the county and continue the fight in earnest?

20) Sort of the reverse (obverse?) of the situation in 19A. A decade has passed, and I have a vassal Count of Holstein. The Duke of Slesvig still has a claim on the county, so he goes to war with the support of his King (perhaps choosing a time when Germany is in anarchy). Since you say it doesn't make a difference whether the county is a vassal or part of my desmene, that would imply that if the Count was forced to surrender, I could fight on and once again capture the county from the Duke?

21) Then does that mean that any time a vassal or sub-vassal loses a county, their liege gains a claim on it?

Last edited:
19A) Yes it is better to make peace with the vassal first. When the king of Denmark has no claims on you he is more inclinded to make peace with you.

20 and 21) The duke of Slesvig keeps a claim on the county and then it doesn't matter, for him, who holds it, either you or your vassal. For you it matters since you no longer have a claim on the title when you give it to your vassal. So if your vassal lose it you AFAIK don't get a claim on it.

EDIT
These are hardly common newbie questions BTW :)

Quick newbie question: universities and schools help education and research when built in the capital, that I know, but what exactly is the effect of schools and universities built outside the capital? Are they worth building?

What about theaters and other buildings with little clear gain? Is there any other "hidden" effect I should know about?

Quick newbie question: universities and schools help education and research when built in the capital, that I know, but what exactly is the effect of schools and universities built outside the capital? Are they worth building?

On finishing a school gives 25 prestige and a university 50. A university also gives a +1 prestige per year.

Since money in the bank isn't good for anything, building things is always worthwhile.

What about theaters and other buildings with little clear gain? Is there any other "hidden" effect I should know about?

Every building has a tooltip, telling you which direct benefits it gives.

All buildings also have effects on a lot of events (to many to know them all)

I'm a newbie here and I would like some help, please~

Btw, I'm using DVIP with bopack.

1) In db\traits.txt , each traits seems to have an antithesis(es), which I am assuming that the game does not allow these two traits to exist at the same time. Is this assumption true? and if so, will there be any problems caused if I added them through savegame editing?

2) For attributes, I am not which number in the savefile refers to which. I currently believe that it is "martial.diplomacy.intrigue.stewardship" for the first four, and "fertility.health" for the next two. Are these assumptions correct? If so, what is the last number ( the long string of numbers)?

3) For lieges and vassals, if I have a count - the count of Kent for example, and I go to C073 in the savefile and I add let's say, SWED to the liege section for something like this:
Code:
title = { 
    tag = C073 
    tier = county 
    liege = SWED 
    holder = { character = { type = 10 id = 148 } startdate = { year = 1066 month = january day = 0 } }

Would that be enough to change the liege of Odo, the count of Kent? Or would I be required to do additional changes to confirm this?

4) Related to 3), if I am talking about a duchy or a multi-demesne count, then would I have to change the liege on each and every single one of their titles or would it be okay if I changed the one of their capital / main title?
(In main title I mean the one that appears for their coat of arms)

5) For the relations in the countries, is there an indicator or a reference I could look to see which refers to which? Like do they follow the same order of countries in the long list of the savefile?

6) What do each of the dev_focus mean? (culture_dev_focus, warfare_dev_focus, production_dev_focus). The only hint I have is that they each refer to the three groups of advances but I'm not sure exactly what their effects are.

7) How do you mod laws? The db\laws.txt doesn't seem to be it, but I can't seem to find anything that seems to be used for the laws.

8) Do the cheats other than the prestige/piety/gold cheats actually work? I've tried byzantine and nowar before but they never seemed to succeed in actually working.

I'm a newbie here and I would like some help, please~

Btw, I'm using DVIP with bopack.

1) In db\traits.txt , each traits seems to have an antithesis(es), which I am assuming that the game does not allow these two traits to exist at the same time. Is this assumption true? and if so, will there be any problems caused if I added them through savegame editing?

2) For attributes, I am not which number in the savefile refers to which. I currently believe that it is "martial.diplomacy.intrigue.stewardship" for the first four, and "fertility.health" for the next two. Are these assumptions correct? If so, what is the last number ( the long string of numbers)?

3) For lieges and vassals, if I have a count - the count of Kent for example, and I go to C073 in the savefile and I add let's say, SWED to the liege section for something like this:
Code:
title = { 
    tag = C073 
    tier = county 
    liege = SWED 
    holder = { character = { type = 10 id = 148 } startdate = { year = 1066 month = january day = 0 } }

Would that be enough to change the liege of Odo, the count of Kent? Or would I be required to do additional changes to confirm this?

4) Related to 3), if I am talking about a duchy or a multi-demesne count, then would I have to change the liege on each and every single one of their titles or would it be okay if I changed the one of their capital / main title?

5) For the relations in the countries, is there an indicator or a reference I could look to see which refers to which? Like do they follow the same order of countries in the long list of the savefile?

6) What do each of the dev_focus mean? (culture_dev_focus, warfare_dev_focus, production_dev_focus). The only hint I have is that they each refer to the three groups of advances but I'm not sure exactly what their effects are.

7) How do you mod laws? The db\laws.txt doesn't seem to be it, but I can't seem to find anything that seems to be used for the laws.

8) Do the cheats other than the prestige/piety/gold cheats actually work? I've tried byzantine and nowar before but they never seemed to succeed in actually working.

These are modding questions, and you should ask them at the modding sub forum :)

Like TempestDK already said, this is the wrong thread and the wrong forum for these questions :), but none the less here are some answers.

Your assumption is true, but there should be no problem AFAIK by adding them through savegame editing (though the easiest way to find that out is to just try it).

The numbers are indeed, martial.diplomacy.intrigue.stewardship.fertility.health. Nobody knows what the attribute numbers mean or how they work, they have at least something to do with how children of those characters will be named.

IIRC doing this is enough, but again you easily find this out by just testing it :)

You need to do this for all titles that the character holds.

No idea

It tells you what group is currently being researched in that realm

warfare_dev_focus = 11 means it researches this (from db/advances.txt)

Code:
	## Offensive Tactics
	group = {
		id = 11

offensive_terrain = {
			combat_multiplier = {
				morale = { heavy_cav = 1.1 light_cav = 1.1 }
			}
		}
		frontal_charge = {
			combat_multiplier = {
				morale = { heavy_cav = 1.2 light_cav = 1.2 }
			}
		}
		reserves = {
			combat_multiplier = {
				morale = { heavy_cav = 1.1 heavy_inf = 1.2 }
			}
		}
		dismounted_knights = {
			combat_multiplier = {
				morale = { heavy_cav = 1.2 heavy_inf = 1.1 }
			}
		}
		hierarkic_command = {
			combat_multiplier = {
				morale = { heavy_cav = 1.1 light_cav = 1.1 heavy_inf = 1.1 }
			}
		}
	}
}

Since all law-effects are commented out that most likely means that the effects are now hardcoded.

Byzantine should work normally, at least it does in my games.

Happy holidays! I've never really had a problem like this before. I started as Duke of Barcelona and now have a big blue blob called the Kingdom of Aragon. I took Mallorca and Menorca from those Serb Muslim fellas and while Menorca has been an okay beach paradise for my summer vacations, Mallorca has been caught in what I call a "revolt cycle". Obviously they're upset because as Berber Muslims they're being ruled by Catalan Catholics and, as an island, the game counts them as "far away". Loyalty for all the social classes is really low and it doesn't take much for a "demagogue to incite the populace" into Revolt. In order to save gold, I send troops from Menorca to put down the rebels. Eventually an event fires to end the Revolt ("Give in to demands", etc.). This is where I guess I'm doing something wrong/not doing something because loyalty remains low, those "bad buildings" pop up like flies on poo and it's just a matter of time before another Revolt fires. It's rinse and repeat. I've actually been keeping the Menorca army mobilized and just sitting on Mallorca because I can afford to, but I'd like to finally end the revolt loop once and for all...

As an aside, I had negative Stability for a long time, so that might have contributed to it. I have 0 stability now. I've tried building province improvements that raise loyalty (in addition to keeping taxes/tolls/etc low), but that can be problematic as the Revolts often lead to buildings being destroyed.

So how do I make like Fleetwood Mac and break the chain?

EDIT: I should note I'm playing with CK + DV + DVIP + Addons, latest patch installed.

Yay for a Crusader Kings Christmas! As and EU3 convertee, I've had a bunch of fun so far, but I've encountered a few things that puzzle me:
1) When I was the Duchy of Apulia, I had an event fire for all my children that had me choose how to raise them (Parental/Nannies/Monks/Local Noble). But in my second game as the Duke of Skane turned King of Denmark, I haven't been getting this event. What gives?

2) What the hell :)P) does my Diocese Bishop do? I'm assumeing that it is generally good to have one, and that it helps in converting provinces, but I haven't noticed any disadvantages to not having one.
2b) Are there any traits that I want to have for my bishop? I've noticed that he has to be male and have a eccelestial (not sure of spelling) education, but is there anything else I should look for in these guys?

Edit:
3rd Question) If I have spare daughters (Or other female children that I've no devious plans for) does it matter who I marry them too?

Last edited:
1) That is strange since these events should fire for all the children who are born in the game. No idea, why in your case it didn't fire. Did you have children of your own and in your court ?

2) He is an important factor in lots of events and in the education of your children (only if his diplomacy is > 7). Usually the higher his education the better he is.

3) If you are able to marry one of your daughters to one of your vassals, then that vassal will get a monthly loyalty bonus. Other then that it isn't that important who you marry them to, the the more prestigious the groom is the more prestige you get from the marriage.

Is there some way to end an alliance? I usually give my son control of my ancestral lands before he inherits everything, and he makes an alliance I'm forced to obey when he ascends the throne.

P.S. Is giving my heir something to rule a good idea? I do that to roleplay him learning to rule, but that way I get no control over education of his children.

Is there some way to end an alliance? I usually give my son control of my ancestral lands before he inherits everything, and he makes an alliance I'm forced to obey when he ascends the throne.

P.S. Is giving my heir something to rule a good idea? I do that to roleplay him learning to rule, but that way I get no control over education of his children.

Alliance end when one of the rulers who are in the alliance dies.

Giving your mature son and heir a title of his own is a good strategy, you won't suffer the monthly prestige-penalty (because he has no title) and he can built up prestige and piety of his own.