• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hmm... I think the first point of the first post to be wrong. For:

In my first game, I played Uppland and the Munsö dynasty. After taking all of Finland, my second king became the next king of Sweden under elective law. The problem was that I only had daughters...

So, I set "Semisalic primogeniture" (as everyone else seemed to have), married my eldest daughter to the duke of Ostrogothia (my biggest and baddest vassal), went crazy after handling too big of a demesne, got into a realm duress, got DOWed by all my vassals, barely held off the invaders (should i assassinate myself?), finally closed my eyes the last time, hoping to wake up as my grandson and finally see an end the war...

However, when I opened my eyes, I woke up as the previous king's nephew, a duke of Finland with one province only, at war against my cousin the king and my former troops besieging me...

On top of that, I still get to offer marriages for other people than those who have my surname. So, what exactly is a dynasty, and what is the succession order of the main character? Maybe a FAQ would be good...

And, btw... why is my court filled with Lettigallish Pagans with über stats but when I try to install them into positions, someone wants to prosecute them to death in a year or less? And why, after I install Feudal Contract to keep my vassals loyal, at least one in a year comes, requires me to install elective law, and rebels when I refuse... ?

Welcome to the forum

Some one who has a different last name then you, is considered part of another dynasty. The children of your daughters get the last name of their husbands, so their children are not part of your dynasty even if they are your grandsons.

You became your nephew because he was in the top 7 of your line of inheritance. If there hadn't been no one in the top 7 with your dynasty name it would have been game over

Now that you have become duke, you must save and reload. You must always save and reload when your primary title changes. that is probably why you can arrange marriages for someone not of your dynasty, the game still thinks you are the AI

Those Lettigallians end up in your court because their homelands are probably overrun (maybe by you or another ruler) and they then seek a new homeland nearby

There are special events that give Pagans and Muslims to, higher stats.

EDIT
Are you sure you switch to semi-salic primogeneture ?

For starting players I recommend to always use salic primogeneture or salic consanguinity, those are the safest laws to have

Convert to EU2

Hello,

I tried to convert some games to EU2, but the result is quite puzzling. What are the rules that apply there ?
Playing as a king in CK, it seems that once in EU2 I own my direct counts' and some dukes' territory ??? while for example, duchies granted to my daughters (without any heir, thus) are independant while vassal. Is this something this way ?
I assume the best choice would be to F12/"die" my heirs before converting, but...

Q: Why does the game end when my character dies?
A: If your character dies and his dynasty holds no land, the game will end. This most commonly occurs under semisalic or elective laws. Make sure to give extra counties and duchies to your dynasty as a backup.

Q: But my king doesn't have any children or relatives!!!
A: That sucks. Note, though, that under salic primogeniture, if the king dies with no heir, a "country cousin" will be created to continue the line. This is a new, free character (which is good) with absolutely horrible stats (which, yknow, isn't).

Q: Well, ok, he finally had a daughter. Why does the game end when her child inherits?
A: CK is somewhat misogynistic, like, oh, everyone on earth during the period.

Unless you married her to one of her uncles (cf. the inbred trait), your grandson is most likely from another dynasty. Dynasties trace ONLY from fathers to sons. You CAN follow this new dynasty, but you have to give your heir land before you die. Save the game and restart with the grandson. f12 + "die" the old character.

Q: Under Elective Law, my heir is so-and-so of a different dynasty, but I become so-and-so from my own dynasty (who holds a title)!
A: See above. Remember, you are playing a dynasty, not a country!

Q: Why can't I arrange marriages for everybody in my court?
A: You can only arrange marriages for people of the same dynasty in your court. Note, though, that this does include randomly generated characters with the same last name. Think of them as distant relatives.

Q: Why can't I arrange marriages with pagans and muslims?
A: You can. Within your own court. However, during the Crusader Kings time period, Christians and Infidels rarely were on friendly terms (think crusades).

Q: Why is the crusade system so messed up?
A: Because that was how it was made. Don't worry, though: If you don't like a Crusader target, eventually the Crusade will fade away.

Q: I'm papal controller and keep losing all my courtiers. Is this intentional?
A: Yes, but only for people with an ecclestical education. Don't worry, though: They're going to a better place: ie, their own bishopric

Q: I cheated and edited stuff to make myself a living God and now my game isn't fun/doesn't work.
A: Uh... Yeah. :rolleyes:

Something like that?

Last edited:
Llywelyn said:
Something like that?
Yea and probably something about realm breakup, ie:

Q: Why do provinces keep rebelling or beaking away from my control?
A: There are likely ourside your natural boundaries influence as set by regions as set by your capital's location.

Please fix this with better knowledge of the events and the latest info from the improvement packs/1.06, but this should probably also be included:

Wait a second, where are the Shi'ites?
Well, the people are all there, but their faith didn't get included. Neither did the Naziris, the Copts, or the Bulgars / Cathars / Gnostics. Maybe next round.

What effect does religion have on my provinces, vassals and characters?
Catholic characters have to put up with the pope and risk of excommunication. Regardless of faith, heresy and scepticism are generally problematic traits. Pagan, Muslim, and Jewish states can only be played using a mod. The save games of a character whose faith has become pagan, Muslim or Jewish will require a mod to access.

That's most of it.

That doesn't seem so vital.

Well, there's always the EU2 / EU3 conversion to think about. It's much cheaper to convert in CK.

Oh, right. How do I convert a province?
It's pretty easy. Muck around on the power sliders to annoy your pagan subjects. Giving lots of power to the infidel peasants and then taking it away works. They will protest that they cannot live under your rule and you take the opportunity to crush them and grab their stuff. Unfortunately, however the events are buggy and your piety usually suffers for this.

There are also boni to peaceful conversion events if your clergy have a lot of power, and it helps to have a pious (>50), reckless, energetic, non-lazy, non-zealous, non-skeptic, non-heretic, non-excommunicated court bishop. This is much slower, though, than prodding them into open rebellion.

How about spreading my culture? I want to teach the English how to cook snails...
You need to be at peace (or edit the event), you need to have roads or ports in both provinces, and you can't be a heretic or excommunicate. The liege's culture will spread linearly to neighboring provinces and to the capital province, if it isn't already his culture.

Great! The English finally know how to say metre correctly! Do they love me now?
Well, no. Again, the main importance of culture is for the EU2 / EU3 port. The Mongol culture gets certain boni to help with its armies. Some cultures get a loyalty bonus under the Byzantine Emperor.

Other than that, it's largely flavor. Your same culture vassals will be no more loyal than your alien ones.

Ok, my question;

where the hell are my knights??? I have no knights (I'm playing as sweden) in any of my county. My neighbour denmark has lots of them and in every of their provinces and i dont understand why?

Ps. I checked the province power sliders of my own and their lands .. they are not so different than eachother. I even boosted the lords power and still the same. So where are those damn knights?!!

mentatt said:
Ok, my question;

where the hell are my knights??? I have no knights (I'm playing as sweden) in any of my county. My neighbour denmark has lots of them and in every of their provinces and i dont understand why?

Ps. I checked the province power sliders of my own and their lands .. they are not so different than eachother. I even boosted the lords power and still the same. So where are those damn knights?!!
The terrain affects your army. No knights in mountains, unless you have feudal contract.

Nick

Thx for the help,

What is a Feudal Contract? Where can i get it? is it a tech adance?

1) Another issue is that i seem to be confusing with the succession order;
What makes the succession order, prestige? piety? money? or (more likely) lands and titles? surely loyalty has to do something with it but how...

2) I cant arrange the general to command my army. If my marshall is out there kicking somebodiy's lands, the next army i will raise will be commanded by who? I see some stupid court member jumped right in the head of the army and i go mad when i see his martial ability is only 3! ı cant switch generals while he is in the head of an army, i then disband them with no choice at hand. Also, which commander controls merged armies? the highest martial value or the title owner?

3) I realized if i use a vassal's army to capture (pagan) lands, they just own the land! ??sometimes it also happen where, my army and vassal army fights together. Recently my marshall owned the land he captured with my army??? How can this happen? I seem to have confusion on this.

4) When checking loyalty modifiers on my vassals, (God! aint there any easy way doing this?!) I see, "from character traits" and its generally negative value. This character traits related to my monarch' traits or the vassals? it is a completely unknown value.. it changes, increases or decreases, and i dont know what to do to effect it?

5) I dont seem to understand how to own a land with marrying a daughter with someone.. the AI do it pretty effectively but is there any tricks i should know?

Last edited:
folders

My experience is with HOI2. I purchased CK thinking it would be similiar. I am unable to find the saved game files. I am also unable to use either bridefinder as I can not seem to extract to the right place or it will not open. Thank you in advance whoever you may be.

techmaun said:
My experience is with HOI2. I purchased CK thinking it would be similiar. I am unable to find the saved game files. I am also unable to use either bridefinder as I can not seem to extract to the right place or it will not open. Thank you in advance whoever you may be.

Welcome to the forum !

You can find the saved game in the following folder

C:\Program Files\Paradox Entertainment\Crusader Kings\scenarios\save games

That is the same path that is used for HOI :)

Can't help you with a bridefinder, since I don't use them

techmaun said:

Welcome to the forum

For bridefinder, have you tried Horragoth's? http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140921

mentatt said:
Thx for the help,

What is a Feudal Contract? Where can i get it? is it a tech adance?

1) Another issue is that i seem to be confusing with the succession order;
What makes the succession order, prestige? piety? money? or (more likely) lands and titles? surely loyalty has to do something with it but how...
For both of these you need to find the laws section of your country screen. Click on the shield in the top left corner of your screen, than click on the crown and scepter. There're three kinds of laws. Fuedal contract is one that determines your relationship with your vassals.

There are also succesion laws that determine succesion order. Primogeniture gives the eldest son the throne, consanguinity gives your most important son the throne, and elective gives your strongest vassal the throne. Salic means that inheritance lines can't be traced through women, semi-salic allows allows inheritance through women. Players almost never use semi-salic, as it gives no gameplay advantage and can end your game. You're playing a dynasty, not a country, so if the next King has a different name than you...

mentatt said:
2) I cant arrange the general to command my army. If my marshall is out there kicking somebodiy's lands, the next army i will raise will be commanded by who? I see some stupid court member jumped right in the head of the army and i go mad when i see his martial ability is only 3! ? cant switch generals while he is in the head of an army, i then disband them with no choice at hand. Also, which commander controls merged armies? the highest martial value or the title owner?

3) I realized if i use a vassal's army to capture (pagan) lands, they just own the land! ??sometimes it also happen where, my army and vassal army fights together. Recently my marshall owned the land he captured with my army??? How can this happen? I seem to have confusion on this.
The first regiment you raise is commanded by your Marshal. Subsequent regiments are comanded by your courtiers in order of seniority (ie: time at your court). Martial rating has nothing to do with this. The only exception is that your King commands the capital regiment if he's avaliable.

The commander of an army is never determined by Martial rating. The highest title person gets command -- so a Duke beats a Count, but loses to a King. If there are multiple generals of the same tier the game gives command to the person whose higher in the army stack, but nobody actually knows all the rules here.

Heathan land always goes to the leader of the siege. Click on the province you're going after. You will the face of the guy who will own the province when the siege is over. If it's an "anonymous commander" or your King's face you're fine. The leader of the siege is the guy who'd command the army if all the regiments in the province were combined.

These rules work 95% of the time. Nobody understands exactly what happens thge other 5%.

mentatt said:
4) When checking loyalty modifiers on my vassals, (God! aint there any easy way doing this?!) I see, "from character traits" and its generally negative value. This character traits related to my monarch' traits or the vassals? it is a completely unknown value.. it changes, increases or decreases, and i dont know what to do to effect it?
Both of your traits are taken into account. If you're a greedy bastard your non-greedy bastard vassals won't like you much.

Fuedal contract and elective law are good ways to increase vassal loyalty. Fuedal contract's sole drawback is you can't tax your vassals much, but since taxing your vassals at a high rate is suicide that's not a major draqback. Elective's drawback is that somebody of another dynasty can win the election, which means you lose.

The portraits of your vassals are arranged in order of loyalty, BTW, so you might not see somebody whose modifier plummets, but you'll see him move across your screen as the modifier takes affect. Oh, bribes buy loyalty but not loyalty modifiers. If you give your entire treasury to somebody whose at 100% loyalty you've wasted your cash. You should've waited a month or two.

mentatt said:
5) I dont seem to understand how to own a land with marrying a daughter with someone.. the AI do it pretty effectively but is there any tricks i should know?
The AI does it by accident. It married her for her mind, not her inheritance; and it got lucky.

First off the target ndeeds to have a semi-salic law. Just about everybody does, and all new titles do, tho. To make sure click to the laws screen. Countries with the law you're reading about are green.

Then the leader has to have daughters, but no sons. Marry the eldest daughter, get a son with her, and he'll be the heir. There's nothing stopping you from murdering all her brothers, their sons, and anyone else who happens to get in the way.

This is something nobody gets until they've tried it a few times, so load up as some piddling French Count and try.

Nick

hmm.. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong (or not) but... why I can not merge units in to one army. Is there any technology that I have to learn before be able to do that, if so, how come its never happened to me playing throu three centuries? And I noticed that Byzantians have it from the begining of the game. If not what's the reason - there is only button "split" but not merge or united or form-army.

It's bother me mainly becouse it s so annoying to move more than 20 units instead just few (and I bet, theres more - connected with final score :( )

Any help?
Thanks

WanderingKnight said:
hmm.. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong (or not) but... why I can not merge units in to one army.
Are all the regiments under your control (ie fighting under your banner), in the same province and not moving? If so you should be able to drag a box around them and click the merge button. There are no requirements, tech or otherwise, needed to merge units.

ComradeOm said:
Are all the regiments under your control (ie fighting under your banner), in the same province and not moving? If so you should be able to drag a box around them and click the merge button. There are no requirements, tech or otherwise, needed to merge units.

Thanks friend :) Again ;)

Well I did not know about that BOX part :confused: I just tried with board letters or Ctrl. Hmrpf :rolleyes: I'll try that way. I guess that'll solve my problem :D

I should say as a critique - that I could not find that information anywhere else, even not in a strategy booklet that comes packed with game.

...and as a commendation - this is by far the best game of all paradox, that I tried (including euII and victoria). Not saying that those others are bad...not at all.

WanderingKnight said:
I should say as a critique - that I could not find that information anywhere else, even not in a strategy booklet that comes packed with game.
The manual isn't terribly useful. CK has changed a LOT since it was written. CSK's AAR is intended to help folks learn the game, and is quite good. Otherwise the forum is quite active, and we're happy to help.

WanderingKnight said:
...and as a commendation - this is by far the best game of all paradox, that I tried (including euII and victoria). Not saying that those others are bad...not at all.
I agree. It took me a week to figure out how to load a save-game, but I still played CK for hours and hours...

Nick

Getting Help

...and as a commendation - this is by far the best game of all paradox, that I tried (including euII and victoria). Not saying that those others are bad...not at all.[/QUOTE]

Yea this iss the place. HOI2 has even more support, Mods with hundreds of users other boards. This game has even more playability it seems to have that randomness of reality instead of you are going to suffer if you go ahistorical. I only have the 2 so far