• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Another issue:

My ruler's son just turned 16, so I found him a bride. When they got married I started a war to get some provinces for my son. In the meantime I appointed his new wife as my spy master, since she was excellent at intrigue. When the war was over and I gained new provinces I granted them to my son. Strangely, his wife didn't move out with him to his court; she stayed with my ruler's one as a spy master. Is it normal? Will they have children if I keep them split?

fijau2 said:
Another issue:

My ruler's son just turned 16, so I found him a bride. When they got married I started a war to get some provinces for my son. In the meantime I appointed his new wife as my spy master, since she was excellent at intrigue. When the war was over and I gained new provinces I granted them to my son. Strangely, his wife didn't move out with him to his court; she stayed with my ruler's one as a spy master. Is it normal? Will they have children if I keep them split?

As long as she holds a position in your court, she will stay there

Your son and his wife can still have children though, they don't have to be in the same court for that

In order to make sure someone from my dynasty is the new King, I need to change the law from a one where inheritance is traced through females to one traced through males, as my current King is getting old and has produced no male heirs. I am scared about the ramifications of this action though as no other country uses this rule. Should I instead attempt to assassinate the children who will inherit?

Bring up the screen of your current lord. Check the bottom right, it'll say who his successors are, in order. You'll then find out the "ramifications", by which I presume you mean you're worried some other King or Emir will inherit...

I'm worried about the world outside and within my realm all attacking me at once or sequentially, or there being some dire consequences in terms of events ten years down the road. I don't really want to potentially destroy everything I've built so far. :(

Duckett said:
I'm worried about the world outside and within my realm all attacking me at once or sequentially, or there being some dire consequences in terms of events ten years down the road. I don't really want to potentially destroy everything I've built so far. :(

The immediate effect will be loyalty loss with your vassals (I believe) ... and later on you might get some minor events about vassals either switching to your chosen inheritance law or deciding not to.

No other nation will attack you for having a different inheritance law ... so feel free to change it :)

I always change it as the first thing when I start a new game. I prefer the one where the strongest male child inherits. That way I am not stuck with my first born, if he sucks.

I've got a question about granting titles.

My ruler is quite old and I'm far from happy about his heir; his stats are not very good and, most of all, his son's ones are even worse and he's got a blind wife and 4 daughters (no sons!). My anxiety led me to an idea of making one of my many grand nephews my new heir. I chose one I liked, and since he was far family I set inheritance law to elective and granted him some titles to give him more prestige and thus make him number 1 in a heir queue :)

Just several months later I stumbled upon an occasion of vassalising a neighbouring duchy with lots of count-level vassals. My new vassal jumped over the queue for my throne. I decided to give more titles to my nephew. And that's where the problem appeared. When I chose a 'grant title' option a list of available titles appeared. Among them there were also my king titles. I gave my nephew all the duke titles, all count titles except for one (obviously I need to own at least one county) and when I was going to give him one of my king titles the 'grant title' turned gray and it said that I had no more titles to grant.

Why is it so? Is it a 'bug'?

You can't give away your own highest title. That would be abdicating and giving your realm to someone else.

I'm not sure about kingdoms, I tend to play smaller guys. But in CK vanilla (no DV) I found that if you have multiple duchies you can give some away - but then the other guy becomes independent. You can offer him vassalship and there's a fair chance he'll accept it, though.

But you can't give away your last or highest title.

You can't grant titles if you have only one province. However, giving him kingdom titles would make him no longer your vassal, which would take him out of the succession if you have elective law.

About posting images…

I was thinking of doing an AAR, but I didn't want it to be all text. I can take screenshots, of course, but the method of converting the .bmp files to .jpg that I've seen described (sorry, I forgot where, or I would post this in that thread, rather than this more general one) is for PC players, and I'm on a Mac. Specifically, IIRC, you're supposed to use the Paint application to modify the images, but the old MacPaint application seems to have gone the way of the dodo.

I tried simply changing the suffix manually, and then setting it to open in my browser, then changing it back to open in Preview again, and this worked a few times but now I get the "corrupted data" error almost every time, so I doubt this is the preferred method.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for the help.

Any photo program would work. Do you have PhotoShop or something lying around?

Of all the very silly things…!

The way to edit a photo on a Mac is (like most things on a Mac) incredibly simple.

1) Click on the .bmp image to open it in Preview.
2) Once in Preview, go to the File menu and select "Export"
3) Rename the image to something ending in .jpg and "export" it to the same place it was before, just as a JPEG image.

So simple, even I can do it. (Eventually.) Sigh.

How to break free

Okey, Iv tried to search but I give up:

How can I make my duchy "free?"

Currently the Frech King is my lord, but I would like to make my duchy "independent" from France.

Is this possible, and if so how?

Wait for your ruler don't be loyal anymore, then 2 option will appear:

first: 1-go in war trying make civil war and make indépendance 2- go in peace and make indepandance ( your liege get a claim on all your titles)

second: If you're too disloyal, and if you cumulate too much power ( provinces, titles and vasals) your liege will automatically declare war on you...

There's a third option, when your actual liege dies, then don't recognize the new( don't aknowledge the new liege), you will be independant, but the new ruler will get claim on ALL your titles, and won't loose an opportunity to crush you!!

in fact, in all case, prepare for WAR!!!:D

Wait for your ruler don't be loyal anymore, then 2 option will appear:

first: 1-go in war trying make civil war and make indépendance 2- go in peace and make indepandance ( your liege get a claim on all your titles)

As a result of me beeing a newbie, that was not quite clear to me :eek:o

Is this an event that fires if my dynasty ruler gets low enough loyalty? And 1 & 2 are options in that event?

Would you care to elaborate?

As a result of me beeing a newbie, that was not quite clear to me :eek:o

Is this an event that fires if my dynasty ruler gets low enough loyalty? And 1 & 2 are options in that event?

Would you care to elaborate?

There are several ways to become independent

1. Become disloyal to your liege. f.e. if your liege goes to war he may ask you to give him your troops, if you then refuse this request your loyalty will drop. When your loyalty goes below 20% you may get an event where you get several options, one of them is to gain independence peacefully. Another option is to go to war against your liege.

2. If you have a claim on a title that is held by your liege, you can then declare war on your liege and you are then independent.

3. When your liege dies, you will get an event where you can acknowlegde your new liege or become independent (this event only exists in DV.).

1. Become disloyal to your liege. f.e. if your liege goes to war he may ask you to give him your troops, if you then refuse this request your loyalty will drop. When your loyalty goes below 20% you may get an event where you get several options, one of them is to gain independence peacefully. Another option is to go to war against your liege.

Thanks! :)

Would you care to elaborate on the peaceful path?

How viable is it to become independent as a duchy (Flanders), ditching France?
Any advice? :D

Thanks! :)

Would you care to elaborate on the peaceful path?

How viable is it to become independent as a duchy (Flanders), ditching France?
Any advice? :D

France most likely has claims on all your titles and will therefor almost certainly go to war against you. It is therefor better to stay a vassal as long as possible, untill you are strong enough to win a war against France.

France most likely has claims on all your titles and will therefor almost certainly go to war against you. It is therefor better to stay a vassal as long as possible, untill you are strong enough to win a war against France.

Yeah, probably :D

But the French King continousley requests my regiments, and just let them sit doing nothing... :mad:

Yeah, probably :D

But the French King continousley requests my regiments, and just let them sit doing nothing... :mad:

Then set your army-maintenance to zero, then you don't pay for the upkeep but the king of France will. Also if he uses your troops your loyalty will go down over time.