• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So you found a way for A.S. Johnston to live, and even become President. Very nice. :cool: His early death tends to get him over-shadowed so it will be interesting to see how he does. So far so good.

And it appears, now that Canada has been released, and the Confederacy won, that you have a substantial alliance in place to deal withthe US once they come calling again, as I am fairly sure they will sooner or later.

Even without war, that last update was stuffed full of fast-paced action it seemed. Keep it up!

Last edited:
This does indeed read very much like a general historybook, snappy and entertaining. Looks like the division of North America will hopefully guarantee Columbian independence far better than any alliance. Nice internal politics as ever on the Columbian home front.

Very fine work you have here, Machiavellian. As much as I hate to see both the USA and Russia defeated, I suppose it can be overlooked. :) Truly deserving of the Showcase!

Very enjoyable AAR to read, good show. Your starting setup is very similar to an idea I had a while back. I may still follow through with it an write an AAR for it, if I can ever figure out how to mod this game...

While it would be similar in some ways to start, I am sure history never unfolds the same way twice...

coz1:Yeah, Albert Sydney Johnston does tend to get overshadowed due to his early death. Originally I wasn't planning on doing what I did with him (Despite looking to see if he was a leader of any Confederate armies in the game) but when the second CSA election came about and the war was still going on, I ruled out the obvious choice in General Lee. Then it came to me to save Johnston, while having a good reason why he wasn't still fighting.

As for the USA. I have to say even with my alliance I am a little worried about them. Part of me wants another war so I can grab more of the west coast and expand my population.. while another part of my knows the population damage I took from this one and the limits of my small country.

stnylan: I'd have to agree, yet with the North American continent being broken up, there will probably be a lot more wars in this time line. Plus I am not all that keen about the European Powers having a base in N.A. could be trouble in the future.

Morpheus506:Many thanks, though Russia has hardly been defeated. While they have lost some territory in Alaska they have been repeatedly crushing their opponents in Asia.

LordOfMars: Glad to have you reading and commenting! If you do decide to start that AAR of yours I'd certainly like to read it. I think there are a lot of possibilities to do with the opening setup and I am almost certain it would turn into a very different tale. One thing I've learned is the AI is sometimes full of surprises.

pkdickian:Nice to have you with us. I am glad you are enjoying it so far. I've never been to Oregon myself, though I hear it and the rest of my fictional 'Columbia' is a very beautiful area.

Update soon.

Islands of Fire

"Hawaii is paradise born of fire."

The Assassination of Abraham Lincoln, the defeat of the United States of America, and the election of Albert Sydney Johnston as the second President of the Confederate States of America all cast a shadow over the early election campaigns in Columbia. President Near had been in power for over three years and managed to take the first difficult steps in guiding Columbia into an era without constant war. Even with an ideologically opposed Vice President he and the Prime Minister had accomplished much; the admittance of three new states, a refinement of the monetary system, and an overall improvement in international status. Yet he was not without his critics or opponents. As early as July 12th the Unionist Primary began, with Elliot West once more rising to challenge Abraham Near for power of the party. Many viewed West as the better choice, for he seemed to have more support with the current members of Parliament and was more in touch with the changing values of the people. President Abraham Near was from the old guard of the Unionist Party the same as President Silver before him back when Columbia's greatest fear was a loss of its Anglo heritage. The primary was once again a simple affair, held in a private hall rented by the party located just outside Victoria's city limits. In the end the Unionists went with the safe choice of Abraham Near. It was viewed that he had a better chance due to his successful post war policies and to his link to the recent Confederate victory. Apparently many in the Unionist camp felt that Elliot West's reputation of being strongly opposed to the war would confuse voters. After receiving the Unionist nomination, President Near vigorously began campaigning highlighting his plans for improved crime fighting, continued stability and the strengthening of Columbia's international prestige through peaceful diplomacy and alliances.

The Redemption Party made its usual pathetic attempt at gaining political office, with even less support than last election. Its rallies seemed to attract less and less supporters, which was surprising to many considering Columbia's now close ties with the CSA. The Young Columbia Party however seemed to be on the rise once more, seriously challenging the Unionists for control of the Parliament and the executive office. In their first primary, the Young Columbia Party gained use of the lavish interior of Vancouver's Lions Hotel. John Augustus Sutter, who just happened to be one of several men seeking the Party’s nomination, owned the Hotel. Born in Baden, the 64-year-old Sutter was actually of Swiss decent and had traveled the Oregon Trail as early as 1838. A resident of the original Fort Vancouver, he had since visited Russia, Portland, Hawaii and even helped settle Mexican California where he had begun to build an agricultural empire, only recently returning to Columbia after making a vast fortune by selling his lands to the new French authorities. By way of backroom deals with several key members of the YCP and especially Leland Stanford, John Sutter obtained the highly sought party nomination.

John Augustus Sutter quickly went to work in an effort to define his campaign and the vision of the Young Columbia Party. Calling for a repeal of several of the Residency Acts he instantly put himself at odds with the President. Furthermore he called for an increase in Columbia's military budget and a massive expansion of the Navy. Sutter clearly sought to draw on fears of foreign invasion, even going so far as to blame the Unionists for allowing the invasion of Upper Oregon in 1861. He also made no attempt to hide his ambitious vision of Columbia "Dominating the Pacific" claiming that he would seek to bring the islands of Hawaii under the protection of Columbia, as well as expand Columbia's pacific claims.

Further to the East, the new Capital of the United States of America officially became Manhattan. For the most part the general population of the USA was still in shock over their recent misfortune, while congress was viciously attacking Andrew Johnson, seeking impeachment. Though he was the only Southern senator to remain loyal to the Union, grand charges of conspiracy of various forms soon leveled against him. He had effectively become the North's scapegoat for all the things that went wrong in the last seven years. On August 3rd, 1867 Congress got its wish and for the second time in recent years an American Vice President was impeached after briefly holding the Presidential office as a result of a tragedy. The recovering Secretary of the State, William H. Seward was shortly after sworn in as the Nineteenth President of the United States, vowing in a short speech three days later to rebuild the honor and character of America in these dark days of disloyalty and strife. He would later bring about an end to the confusing question of Presidential Succession with the passing of the 13th Amendment to the Constitution. It clarified that the Vice President did in effect become President, as well as identifying the Secretary of the State as next in line following him and down the line for several tiers. This also changed the view of Vice President in the United States; with its selection becoming highly scrutinized in future elections in an effort to avoid past mistakes like Andrew Johnson and J. P. Hale.

In early September the Republic of Columbia received a warning from the USA not to continue colonization in Oceania. Unwilling to agitate the United States further, President Near agreed to the USA's demands. This move infuriated John Sutter who argued that Columbia needed to walk and talk tall. In the new state of Yukon, Sutter's supporters came out in droves. The Yukon's character was quickly determined to be Pro-military, with a large majority of its citizens and residents in the military. Both major candidates began touring in the far north as well as the rest of the country, seeking to win votes in what was turning out to be an extremely tight race.

By November, while both Sutter and Near had debated against one another on three separate occasions, the debates had been inconclusive, with neither candidate outshining the other.

The Vancouver Sun
VANCOUVER, FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 28th, 1868.

President Near and Mr. Sutter dead-even in recent polls!
-------------------
Control of Parliament heavily contested

Details on page 6
Revanschist rallies continue in Yukon
Veterans and others desire all of the Yukon.
Full story below.
William Shakespeare's Othello to open at the Playhouse Theatre tonight. Page 9

Vancouver, Columbia November 27th, 5 P.M.: Yet another in a string of recent rallies supporting the expansion of the military has just ended in the Yukon town of Cordova. Unlike previous rallies these last two months, the speakers at Cordova were far more bold, calling outright for the acquisition of the rest of the Yukon Territory. Despite the small number of citizen voters in the state, the Yukon and its people have played a surprisingly large role in the election campaign. It is widely expected that the middle class, who now make up the majority of the officer core will vote Young Columbian, but President Near seems confident that the fighting men of Columbia will stick with the wisdom of the Unionist camp.

As the year shifted to '68 and the March 4th election date nearing, the politics of Columbia once more took center stage for the citizens and residents of the region, with surprisingly few caring about tensions abroad. Most in Columbia wanted now to forget about the painful time of strife and bloodshed and instead focus on their own place in the world. This tossed a monkey wrench in the political campaigns, diffusing the importance of several January debates, as they centered on International diplomacy. Both major candidates came off as pro-European and Anti-Yankee, as well as firm supporters of Columbia's Confederate allies. Perhaps the only division in views was in Sutter's dislike for the Tsar and Russia and his imperialistic vision of Columbia's role in the Pacific.

In February, even the French Colonial war against Prussia and Russia failed to excite the citizenry. By the middle of the month, the Candidates remained in a dead heat. Rallies and speeches were held daily, but it seemed as if the nation was evenly split. Yet despite the rallies, speeches, and special events it was a government policy that decided the election. After several meetings with Confederate ambassadors, Prime Minister Nedrow was consistantly pressured to place a government ban of the infamous novel Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher-Stowe. Most argue that the Prime Minister should have known better than to try to ban a book in Columbia, while others suggest that the CSA and the Unionist party forced the issue through. Whatever was the case, on February 21st, a mere hop and a skip away from the election date, Christian Nedrow's government banned the Anti-slavery/Confederate book from Columbia. The story hit the press and editorials from all sides began to attack or frantically defend the decision, though the later were far fewer in number.

Election day came and just as quickly went. It was a universally miserable day throughout Columbia, with heavy rains or snow gracing almost the entirety of the nation. Votes were cast despite the best efforts of mother nature and the man who would be the fifth President of Columbia was decided.

sutterye3.jpg

John Augustus Sutter, The Fifth President of Columbia

With nearly ninety percent of the population literate, Nedrow's mistake cost his Party an election that could have went either way. While Sutter only managed to win his election by 709 votes, the Young Columbia Party seized several key governorships, as well as capturing a small majority in Parliament. Abraham Near's loyalists and Elliot West's divide lost evenly to the YCP, leaving the fractured Unionist Party in control of just over 45% of the seats in Parliament. It did not take long for the two sides to begin blaming the other for the various defeats they suffered.

President Sutter, despite his inexperience in the Political arena moved quickly to establish his government. Repaying old debts, he selected Leland Stanford as his Prime Minister, allowing the former industrialist free reign to build a Cabinet. The Vice Presidential selection was far more tricky, but Sutter played the game well, pitting the Unionist's against one another by convincing much of the YCP to nominate Elliot West. West, ever eager for more fame and prestige, blindly rallied his supporters, either not seeing Sutter's attempts at further division for what they were or simply not caring. Elliot West after a private and rather informal meeting with President Sutter accepted the results of Parliaments vote and became John A. Sutter's Vice President.

In late March, President Sutter began several meetings with key figures in Columbia's Army and understaffed Navy. Despite but one meeting with Columbia's highest ranking General, Jules Odo Duran, President Sutter met with Brigadier General Harper on several occassions and it was rumored that the two had become friends. It was also during this time that the President began making his intent to expand the Navy a reality. After several tough battles with Parliament, Sutter was eventually able to attain funding for his ambitious Naval expansion programs. In contrast to the President's victory, Leland Stanford continued to meet resistance to his own plans for the government. Slashing funds to Crime fighting, Stanford was able to allocate public funds to the further industrialization of Columbia, but failed in all regards to repeal the various Residency Acts. He became increasingly frustrated and began striking out at Unionist opponents in Parliament through the Press, which only served to make his life more difficult.

Political Map of North America, 1868

In April, President Sutter used former contacts and somewhat unreliable information to poll the population of Hawaii on its annexation to Columbia. The results he presented indicated that the population was fully behind the ambitious plan, but did not mention that not all the inhabitants were given the chance to sound off on the plan. In fact, for the most part the results only indicated the desire of white population of the islands. Regardless of the actual facts, John Augustus Sutter found his information a strong enough reason to push for the acquisition of Hawaii. It even became the core of his Independence Day speech.

The people of the Kingdom of Hawaii have made known their desire to come into our Union, to form a part of our Confederacy and enjoy with us the blessings of liberty secured and guaranteed by our Constitution. Hawaii has long been tied to our country—and was visited upon by the same captains who helped found our land—and possesses an undoubted right to dispose of a part or the whole of her territory and to merge her sovereignty as a separate and independent state in ours. While the Monarch King Kamehameha the fifth may have a different opinion on this question, I am certain that we can work this issue out.
I regard the question of annexation as belonging exclusively to Columbia and Hawaii. They are independent powers competent to contract, and foreign nations have no right to interfere with them or to take exceptions to their union. Foreign powers do not seem to appreciate the true character of our Government. Our Union is a confederation born out of love of liberty, whose policy is peace with each other and all the world. To enlarge its limits is to extend the dominions of peace over additional territories and increasing millions. The world has nothing to fear from military ambition in our Government. While the Chief Executive and the Parliament are elected for short terms by the suffrages of those millions who must in their own persons bear all the burdens and miseries of war, our Government can not be otherwise. Foreign powers should therefore look on the potential annexation of Hawaii to the Republic of Columbia not as the conquest of a nation seeking to extend her dominions by arms and violence, but as the peaceful acquisition of a territory in spirit her own, by adding another member to our confederation, with the consent of that member, thereby diminishing the chances of war and opening to them new and ever-increasing markets for their products.
To Hawaii the union is important, because the strong protecting arm of our Government would be extended over her, and the vast resources of her fertile soil and genial climate would be speedily developed, while the safety of the Pacific and of our whole southwestern frontier against hostile aggression, as well as the interests of the whole Nation, would be promoted by it.
In the earlier stages of our national existence the opinion prevailed with some that our Government could not operate successfully over an extended territory, that we would be absorbed into larger neighbors, and serious objections have at different times been made to the enlargement of our boundaries. Experience has shown that they were not well founded. The title of numerous Indian tribes to vast tracts of country has been extinguished; new States have been admitted into the Republic; new Territories have been created and our jurisdiction and laws extended over them. As our population has expanded, the Republic has been cemented and strengthened. As our boundaries have been enlarged and our agricultural population has been spread over a large surface, our system has acquired additional strength and security. It is confidently believed that our system may be safely extended to the utmost bounds of our territorial limits, and that as it shall be extended the bonds of our Union, so far from being weakened, will become stronger.
None can fail to see the danger to our safety and future peace if Hawaii remains an independent state or becomes an ally or dependency of some foreign nation more powerful than herself. Is there one among our citizens who would not prefer perpetual peace with Hawaii to occasional wars, which so often occur between bordering independent nations? Is there one who would not prefer free intercourse with her to high duties on all our products and manufactures which enter her ports? Is there one who would not prefer an unrestricted communication with her citizens to the obstructions which must occur if she remains out of the Republic? Whatever is good or evil in the local institutions of Hawaii will remain her own whether annexed to Columbia or not. None of the present States will be responsible for them any more than they are for the local institutions of each other. Perceiving no valid objection to the measure and many reasons for its adoption vitally affecting the peace, the safety, and the prosperity of both countries, I shall on the broad principle which formed the basis and produced the adoption of our Constitution, and not in any narrow spirit of sectional policy, endeavor by all constitutional, honorable, and appropriate means to consummate the expressed will of the people and Government of the Democratic Republic of Columbia to the annexation of Hawaii to our Nation at the earliest practicable period.
In the management of our foreign relations it will be my aim to observe a careful respect for the rights of other nations, while our own will be the subject of constant watchfulness. Equal and exact justice should characterize all our intercourse with foreign countries. All alliances having a tendency to jeopard the welfare and honor of our country or sacrifice any one of the national interests will be studiously avoided, and yet no opportunity will be lost to cultivate a favorable understanding with foreign governments by which our navigation and commerce may be extended and the ample products of our fertile soil, as well as the manufactures of our skillful artisans, find a ready market and remunerating prices in foreign countries. However, at no point will I let the whims and opinions of tyrants and despots dictate the actions of our Republic, as it is my duty to act in the best interests of Columbia and her allies, first and foremost.
I now humbly beseech that Divine Being who has watched over and protected our beloved country from its infancy to the present hour to continue His gracious benedictions upon us, that we may continue to be a prosperous and happy people.
An excerpt from John A. Sutter's Independence Day speech, highlighting Hawaii.

May saw the winners of the recent struggle in North America flexing their new political muscle, with Columbia moving forward plans for the Annexation of Hawaii, despite King Kamehameha V's protests and the CSA's pledge to enforce it's own Monroe Doctrine concerning future European intervention in Mexico. Further cementing this pledge, President Johnston of the CSA formally entered into an Alliance with Don Goluco de Common's Government at San Potosi. For the most part President Sutter and Stanford's government approved of his move, though some thought it was a poor idea to hitch one's wagon to the crippled mule that was Mexico.

Meanwhile, unbeknownst to most Brigadier General Harper was preparing to ship out with ten thousand newly trained Aleutian troops to help bring about the compliance of Hawaii's Monarchy. Between June 7th and June 14th, Columbian convoy ships, escorted by the RCS Yukon Lady traveled the waters of the Pacific, finally arriving off the eastern coast of Maui Island. For the rest of the month, the Yukon Lady was visiable sailing around the Islands of Hawaii, in a ploy designed to weaken the King's position and bring about an argeement. In July, the courts and Legislative branches of several of the Islands began demanding for the King to step down, when he did not Harper and his troops intervened to bring the peace. Only on Hawaii Island was any resistance met. In late July the King and a loyal chief's royal guard attempted to halt the occupation and protect the King. The advanced guns and training of Harper's army prevailed however, with a mere 279 Columbian soldiers dead in the course of the fighting. By August 2nd the remains of the Royal Guard surrendered and the King and rebellious chief were imprisoned aboard the RCS Yukon Lady. For the remains of the month, insiders and old associates of Sutter's on the various islands began frantic work with the pro-Columbia elements of Hawaii's government and Columbia itself to cement the new political relationship and pave the way to Annexation. It did not take long for Columbia's Parliament to accept the situation for what it was and just months after his election, President John Augustus Sutter had added an additional state to the growing Republic.

Last edited:
Wow! :eek:

The quality of writing is absolutely superb! It really does read like an actual history text. You sure deserve your own title! :D

Machiavellian said:
sutter4nu.jpg

John Augustus Sutter, The Fifth President of Columbia
Somewhere in California, a media mogul is spinning in his grave and he does not know why.

Excellent update as usual, Machiavellian! Good to see Columbia thriving.

Beautifully written.

And so the Young Columbians finally take power and quickly move forward with their agenda. I wonder if their plans include further dust ups with your blue neighbor to the south. And what of the residency laws. Will they be swiftly repealing those? (If they have not been already - if so, I have forgotten.)

Thanks for all the wonderful comments everyone. Using the historic aspect of telling the tale it is sometimes difficult to get across the personalities of key figures, but I hope I can at least achieve a little bit of distinction. I'm going to be rather busy this week, so I am uncertain exactly when I will be able to update, but I will try to write a little when I can get the chance and will hopefully have a new update done by the end of the week.

CatKnight said:
Very well done! Though I found Sutter's speech rather chilling.

well said!

EXCELLENT AAR!

A return to things past

The winter! the brightness that blinds you,
The white land locked tight as a drum,
The cold fear that follows and finds you,
The silence that bludgeons you dumb.
The snows that are older than history,
The woods where the weird shadows slant;
The stillness, the moonlight, the mystery,
I've bade 'em good-by -- but I can't.

There's a land where the mountains are nameless,
And the rivers all run God knows where;
There are lives that are erring and aimless,
And deaths that just hang by a hair;
There are hardships that nobody reckons;
There are valleys unpeopled and still;
There's a land -- oh, it beckons and beckons,
And I want to go back -- and I will.

They're making my money diminish;
I'm sick of the taste of champagne.
Thank God! when I'm skinned to a finish
I'll pike to the Yukon again.
I'll fight -- and you bet it's no sham-fight;
It's hell! -- but I've been there before;
And it's better than this by a damsite --
So me for the Yukon once more.

An excerpt from Robert W. Service's Spell of the Yukon

With his ambitious scheme to make the Hawaiian Islands a part of Columbia successful, President John Sutter was able to focus on his other objectives. It was clear from talk among the members of government that knew him that Sutter had a very clear image of what he thought Columbia's boundaries should look like, making some eager and others nervous.

Yet, Sutter and his closest advisor Prime Minister Leland Stanford realized the necessity of making a amends with the international community, as well as impressing the population of Columbia before moving on to the next step in their bold plan of border expansion. From August 20th to August 29th, President Sutter and several other lesser members of the government met with the Duc de Morny, half brother of Emperor Napoleon III of France, in the French-Californian city of Les Angeles. Though mostly seen as a good will mission to improve relations with France, Sutter also made a series of pledges to the French, who just so happened to be in a Colonial war against Russia and Prussia. While no Alliance was signed between the two governments, President Sutter hoped to use his friendship and support with the French as a means to having legitimacy in going to war with the Russians in the future. Charles Duc de Morny knew as much and fully supported the idea of Columbia's expansion to Russia's detriment.

Meanwhile Parliament was undergoing a series of interesting reversals from the policies of recent years, as Vice President Elliot West and Prime Minister Stanford entered into a fragile alliance to break the old guard of the Unionist Party. West sought nothing less then total control of the Unionist Party and along with several leading members began to take a much more progressive stance towards residents within Columbia. Influenced no doubt by the works of representative Joesph Meek, the Unionist divide began to view the Residency laws as a "Roadblock to progress" with a select few even calling for the end to even the old idea's of limited Citizenship. This new alliance block was able to force a repeal of several key Residency laws, starting with Act one in the September 4th, 1868 session of Parliament. The repeal of this act was careful to keep the Department of Immigration and Census Management fully in tact, a gesture to keep in good favor with its long time head Levi Ankeny, an extremely popular member of the Unionist Party who wished to remain outside the conflict of the party divide. Another reason for avoiding conflict with Ankeny was his reported high standing with the mysterious fraternal order of Free Mason's. With the measures of the repeal the gates of immigration would be open once more, as well the elimination of favored job placement.

ankeny3gd.jpg

Levi Ankeny, Head of the D.I.C.M. (1844 - 1921)

With the first real success since the establishment of his government, Leland Stanford decided to back of the Unionist's for the moment. He did not wish to tackle the second of the Residency acts anytime soon, since it was still viewed as one of the elements that saved Columbia during the North American Border War. Instead he returned to matters with which he was quite familiar, Industrialization. It is during this time period that Columbia started to really begin showing its industrial might. For its small population, it was quite successful, with factories churning out products like ships, machine parts, and all manner of war materials.

During these later months of 1868 Columbia's Department of War was also abuzz with activity. Though they had required little action in the rather peaceful acquisition of the Hawaiian Islands, they wanted to take no chances for the future and were enjoying the increased budget provided by the Young Columbia Party government. Shuffling around active officers, George Berenguer was promoted to a full Colonel and given command of two divisions of Infantry with large Artillery support. Yet this promotion had with it a fair share of misfortune as well, as he was soon assigned to Fort Summit, which was almost at the highest elevation in Columbia. Two hundred miles north of Seward, it resided near Mt Hayes and the Wrangel Mountains. It was a cold, miserable place. The type of assignment that made soldiers hate their more fortunate counterparts who had garrison duty on Molokai or Oahu.

In the nights of November, the Columbian navy was at work undergoing exercises in training under poor light conditions. Using old ships, the combat routines helped train the younger officers in rebuilding a formidable fleet. The rebuilding effort was taken a step further with the christening of the new fleet on the first of February 1869. Six new Ironclads were put into service before a high capacity crowd overlooking Seattle's Elliott Bay. The flagship of the fleet was aptly named the RCS Elliott, with the other ships possessing the names Pioneer, Etienne, Vancouver, Fraser, and the Courtenay. With this new fleet, President Sutter hoped to make it clear to the world that the Pacific Ocean would remain Columbia's sphere of influence. While Columbia could hardly be said to rule the waves, it was a good start after the previous defeats to the United States Navy.

The Vancouver Sun
VANCOUVER, FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 20th, 1869.

The Second Yukon War!
-------------------
Battle over Residency laws continue in Parliament

Details on page 6
Afghanistan annexed by the United Kingdom.
The British expand further into Asia.
Full story on page 4.
Hamilcar Copa to conduct his newest masterpiece tonight. Page 10

Vancouver, Columbia February 20th, 4 A.M.: After the various different demonstrations and revanschist rallies in the Columbian Yukon during the election campaign it is no surprise that war has finally broken out between the Tsar of Russia and Columbia. In a statement yesterday, Vice President West declared that the "Unlawful occupation by Imperial Rus forces in the Yukon would soon be at an end". In keeping with his campaign promises, it seems that President Sutter is determined to acquire all the locations of his early travels before settling in Columbia. The war department has made it clear that this is merely an engagement of colonial forces and no Russian troops would threaten the states, yet the navy would remain ever vigilant nonetheless. The President has also issued a statement that this action was in response to the aggressive stance of the Russian Empire and in support of the French forces and international stability.

War with Russia had broken out once again and for the same reasons as the first war. The people of Columbia still maintained that the Yukon was part of the national boundry of the young republic and would continue to fight for as long as foriegn powers occupied the frozen land. Those opposed to the war complained that the land wasn't worth the cost of a single soldiers life, but they were by far in the minority. After the grueling war with the United States, the Second Yukon war was regarded as a minor skirmish that would last no more then a year. In order to ensure that no supplies arrived from Russia to the enemy forces in the Yukon, Captain Cassol was promoted to Rear Admiral and given command of the 1st squadron consisting of the RCS Vancouver, RCS Fraser and RCS Courtenay. Rear Admiral Cassol was well known in the Navy for his vicious nature and his strong inclination towards offensive strategy. It was therefore somewhat surprising that he was assigned to set up a blockade, rather then hunt for Russian ships.

Brigadier General Harper and the 1st Corp stationed on the Hawaiian Islands were soon ferried to Russian Samoa, arriving near its coast on the 4th of March. By the 15th or 16th of the month the Orthodox mission that dominated the small colony raised a Columbian flag. The quick action of Harper and the army hinted that orders had been given in advance to the actual declaration of war.

Meanwhile the high commander of the Russian Yukon, Oberster-Kriegscommissar Hedeon Korovin, decided to pull back all forces to the northern province of Selawik where they would merge together at Fort Kobuk. While this move spared the dismemberment of the Russian forces, it did allow Colonel Berenguer the ability to effortlessly occupy the town of Platnium. The easy capture of Platnium encouraged George Berenguer at the insistance of several of his more exuberant junior officers to press on to the important city of Bethel. Despite the harsh weather of the Yukon, the soldiers of Columbia made it to Bethel by early April and were able to occupy the city on the 6th, three days before a major storm.

To the East, the first elected President of the United States of America since the wars end took office. Despite the failures of the Republican Party in the past, it was the Republican candidate who defeated his opponent, Horatio Seymour of New York. The Republicans were keen enough to select perhaps the only candidate who had not lost a single battle during the war, Admiral David Glasgow Farragut. Being that Admiral Farragut was nearly sixty eight years old, his vice presidential running mate was carefully selected by the Republican party. After failing to draw General Sherman into politics, the upstanding Maine Congressman James Gillespie Blaine was chosen. As the 20th President of the United States David Farragut made a simple inaugural address, stressing the importance of peace, adaptation, and strengthening ties with the United Kingdom and the United States new northern neighbor Canada.

Between April 18th and the 21st, Brigadier Harper had continued his campaigns in the South Pacific occupying the Russian Flores colony, also centered around a large Orthodox Cathedral. With the capture of Flores, Russia's claims to the South Pacific would be ended.

The major battle of the Second Yukon War occured on the 30th of April, 1869. Known by most military historians as the Battle of Kobuk, the initial site of combat was first engaged in a lightly fortified corner of woods just east of Fort Kobuk. With twelve thousand trained Russian soldiers, the battle would not be an easy one. Despite the lack of falling snow, the ground had accumulated over 14 inches and added with the bitter cold it made for snow moving. Colonel Berenguer, after intial skirmishing with the Rus in the woods, ordered his men to fall back and a fifteen day bombardment of the woods began. Detirmined to lose as little life as possible, Berenguer relied on his artillery, seeking to smoke the Russians out. Unfortunately, while a few lost their way in the woods to fall into his hands, most retreated back to Fort Kobuk. In late May, Colonel Berenguer began a slow march West, engaging the Russian troops in and around the Fort in slightly better conditions, though it was still well below freezing. Combat on the open field was rare, with most engagements being small skirmishes and raids. Fortunately the Russians had few canon, allowing Berenguer the ability to take full advantage of his artillery divisions.

On the first of June Brigadier General Harper occupied the russian outposts in South Sakhalin. While this was a small victory, it was the stepping stone to the invasion of the Kuril Islands on the 21st. Encountering few troops the Columbian soldiers quickly began a campaign to occupy the islands and strike at the continent.

Arriving at Fort Yukon on the 26th of June, Major General Dynadin Latre and his famous Cuirassier brigades made a brief resupply, before setting out with an expanded three divisions to assist Colonel Berenguer at Kobuk. In a dramatic display, Major General Latre led his forces in a charge against entrenched Russian troops on July 7th. Overcoming the snow through several innovative practices and extended training, the mostly cree divisions under Latre shattered a fledgling Russian attack, allowing Berenguer and his infantry to advance and force the fighting to the very walls of the fort. By September 10th, the remaining four thousand Russian troops, hopelessly outnumber and running out of food, surrendered. While Oberster-Kriegscommissar Hedeon Korovin died in the conflict, his resistance proved costly to Columbia who lost just under ten thousand men in the conflict, though many died from the harsh climate and conditions.

With the fall of the Kuril islands in August and the capture of Selakirk province on September 22nd it seemed that Russia had lost this war. On the 24th of September the Merlin adorned flag of Columbia was lifted over the city of Kotzebue, the former capital of Russian America. On the 30th of September, two Russian commerce raiders were smashed and sent to the ocean floor when they were intercepted near Niihau's Western coast. By October, Russian diplomats met with Ambassador Delazon on the Island of Hawaii to discuss the terms of peace. General Harper was also present. After two weeks of deliberation the Czar presented an acceptable peace and all parties signed. The peace was simple and to the point. All the remaining Yukon lands would be transfered and incorporated into the Democratic Republic of Columbia's Yukon State. While not specified in the peace treaty, Columbia also retained possession of the former Russian claims in Flores, South Sakhalin and Samoa. Uninterested with these potentially troublesome regions, President Sutter sold them off to interested parties during the following two months. The United States of America bought the claims to Samoa for a mere 7,000 dollars, while Flores and South Sakhalin were sold to Napoleon III for a sum of 18,000.

While a few politicians complained about the sale of Samoa to the United States, for the most part these three sales were well praised, as some of the funds were denoted to a memorial for the soldiers who not only died in the Second Yukon War, but also the many who perished during the North American Border War. Located just outside Olympia, the memorial consisted of several statues, a small museum, and a magnificent clock tower in a style similar to London's Big Ben.

BONUS MAP UPDATE!

I know how much some people like screenshots, so I am doing a bonus update to include them since I couldn't find a good place to put them in the latest update. Here are some Maps of the world as of 1870. I don't have everything, but I have included a lot and if something is not clear, let me know and I will try to clarify to the best of my ability.

Maps of North America

columbia187019pg.jpg

columbia187029hy.jpg

Map of South America

columbia187037vy.jpg

Map of Europe

columbia187048sp.jpg

Map of Asia
As one can see, Britain and Russia are the true powers in Asia.
Columbia does not like Russia's continued conquests over China.

columbia187058si.jpg

Machiavellian said:
...The United States of America bought the claims to Samoa for a mere 7,000 dollars, while Flores and South Sakhalin were sold to Napoleon III for a sum of 18,000...
cool. the war lasted less than a year, with victory! :cool:

while i was sad to see the sale of the Russian claims (as those claims were in Columbia's "sphere of influence" - the Pacific), i guess that the claim sale actually limits how much of the Pacific Columbia wants to have influence over. :rolleyes: that said, the Samoan claim sale to the USA gives the USA an even greater claim to [and interest in] the Pacific than it had before the sale. :wacko: this may not be good in the long run... :eek:

nice maps. many thanks for such a good update! :cool: