• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A Tale of dread
Pelops recieved the call of the Gods, and he decided that indeed Theseus would be his target for punishment. Over-joyed he was when Bellerophon said he would aid in the punishment, and he declared war on the perpetrator.

Yet it would not be. Midas the greedy, coming from the far east, declared war on those who merely fulfilled the will of the Gods. And Bellerophon, who was after named the traitor, fought not a single battle and only stole the richest for himself.
Even so, Midas and Autolycus were both beaten off for a time, yet there was no lasting hope. In time, three against one was impossible to win, and Pelops signed thus a white peace.

This was unexpected, indeed, yet it was no disaster. For many years after, Pelops spent his time improving the weapons of his army, for Theseus would be coming back, deeming himself misjudged. He was not, but he WAS powerfull, and that counts for much in this world.

Yet the disaster was far greater.

For buried deeply in a pile of messages, Bellerophon sent a message declaring their alliance void. Bellerophon, who had used the exisatnce of an alliance as sufficient reason to attack one he claimed to not want to attack, had broken an alliance, and left Pelops to find out. No public announcements, nothing.

And then they struck.

From the vast expanses of Africa, from the rugged coasts of Iberia, and above all from the woodlands of Gaul, came a flood of enemies to drown the Peloponnesus.
And doom was certain, yet still Pelops fought Theseus, deeming yet that he may exact the punishment of the Gods, and later punish Bellerophon for his greater evil. Yet the superior weapons of Theseus proved too much, and allthough Perseus and Midas ended their war sooner, Pelops was still defeated by the unholy alliance of Bellerophon and Theseus.
Long would he mourn his pledges to Bellerophon, and he saw now that in the 4th Iberian war, when he was indeed winning, he should not have extended his hand in friendship but instead crushed the pest. Yet now Bearn the jewel of the realm, Toledo of the many mountains, and Tassaret with it's great temple to Hephaestos, were lost.

Many are the tales that mourn for the fallen, but none fell as far, or as quickly, as Bellerophon. For him, there would be no saving save in eternal death, no punishment could clear his soul save everlasting torment in Tartarus.
Yet, Pelops had no strength left in his realm, his armies defeated and his enemies united, and his belief in the good of men utterly crushed. Despair took him, for only half of the heroes of this world could possibly be classified as honourable, and the rest were either just selfish or outright scum.

He could but hope that, through a life of prayer and contemplation, the Gods would show him the way forward, so that his realm would not be destroyed by the unholy alliance, and that perhaps without needing again to defeat a stronger foe, he could fulfill the will of the Gods.

Gaelic events, part I: Setting up the pieces

Weathering the Storm

The storm was wailing outside. Of all the messengers sent to the Atlantic Coast colonies only the ones from Gascogne had returned. Something horrible was going on, no doubt the gods were playing their tricks. Theseus weathered the storm inside a small keep in Cornwall, with a worried look on his face. The death of Aeneas worried him. Little did he know that this storm sent by his father was not the only storm he and his people would endure.

For far in the south, Pelops had been acting greedy. Theseus could understand this, Pelops wanted access to the unknown lands for himself. But the lad wanted so much else, too, and had really nothing to give. Now he had started complaining about breaking promises, and indeed it looked like he claimed a total of 3 Gaul provinces while not prepared to give anything in exchange but a bit of money. "Give give give" is all that Theseus has heard from Peloponnesos for the last two decades. And now, after Theseus bluntly told that the non-aggression pact will end in 20 years, trying to enforce Pelops to a more rational policy, Pelops had chosen the other way and apparently went mad.

Messengers arrived all over the world. Theseus' spies and friends had returned him some of the communications. Pelops was complaining to other heroes, and gods, about Theseus' actions related to some odd truce-break with the Minotaur nation. Pelops tried to paint the use of this cunning trick as something really bad, and to use it to his advantage against Theseus. Nevermind that other heroes got into trouble because of his sillyness, too. Like Autolycus and Heracled. Apparently the goal of Pelops was to take all his demands from Theseus with force. In other words, full-scale robbery with no real justification.

Theseus didn't really see the danger yet, for the blatantly hypocritical acts of Pelops, for example (using a supposed oath break of Theseus as his best casus belli) voiding the non-aggression pact between the two nations without any notification time, surely would gather the despise of all of Olympus and other Heroes. Would he truly backstab Gaul when the proud nation was exhausted from the war with monsters and her armies were small and scattered?

Surely no God could be silly enough to take the ramblings of Pelops seriously, right?

Wrong.

It turned out that in some bizarre twist of logic, Hephaestos looked down upon his champion, seeing him as courageous instead of the arrogant, treacherous, hypocritical crybaby who was blatantly misusing the trust of Hephaestos and Athene that he should have seen. So Hephaestos had apparently had a word with Zeus, and Zeus had placed a price on the head of Theseus. What gives?

Luckily Theseus learned about this bizarre twist of events early enough, so he had the chance to chat with his friends and allies ...

A life of prayer and contemplation

Pelops, in line with his new policy, spent much of his time reading bits and pieces that had been gathered from the other nations, where people from much later times than Pelops himself lived.
In it, he found a wealth of knowledge, especially on the machinations of the Gods. Believing now that his time was little, and as he had the idea that perhaps he could persuade them to give what the heroes could or would not, since they had more power and thus could give more. Offcourse, their prices were steeper too, but when the price for inactivity was death, he was willing to pay.
Thus, he prayed to Aphrodite, the wife of Hephaestos. Yet he prayed also to Hephaestos himself, for the Gods want, above all, to be warned of sudde changes.
He also prayed to Athena and Hermes, for Pelops had done his best in their fields of judgement, and he sought their aid to do even better. Thus he prayed, and none but the Gods heared.

Aphrodite, Goddess of beauty and love, hear the words of one who would be your servant.
For too long, no nation has formally championed your cause, and Pelops believes this situation is wrong.
He will therefore, in thy name, lead his people in this world. Yet offcourse, he will not forsake Hephaestos, and he can only offer you thus, that ye will be named equal as Hephaestos in the realm of the Peloponnesus, and thus Pelops would be champion of Hephaestos and Aphrodite.
Yet to support this goal, there should be a great temple in thy honour in the lands of the Peloponnesus. Pelops offers you land in the lands of Aragon, second city of the realm, where you may hallow land as you deem fit, and so create a place of worship for thy name.

Willst thou accept Pelops to also be thine champion, and in return make a place where his people can honour ye?

Hephaestos, Great God of all crafting, hear the words of thine servant.
I have, by the trust and honour you have vested in me, offered thine wife a place in my realm, equal yet below thine own.
The advantages for you, and me, are many. With two Gods to protect the realm, no enemy will dare destroy your kingdom, and thus your name be forever preserved. And above that, your wife's name will be forever bound to thine own, and perhaps people will remember it.

I beg thus of thee, willst thou allow this change in the affairs of your kingdom, to ensure the strength of your name and perhaps the loyalty of your wife?

Pallas Athena, Goddess of wisdom and strategy, hear the words of one who seeks thine help.
For the people of Hephaestos, suffering still perhaps from the loss of their own world, have lost much of their creativity.
No great statues, mighty armours and powerfull weapons are forged save in the forge of Hephaestos himself alone, and the world is poorer for it.

Yet ye may change it, and if you so will, Pelops will dedicate a great temple in your name. I ask of thee to please show them again the way forward into ever greater skills, and your name will be praised in all the lands, for ye will have improved this world.

Hermes, God of the traveller and trader, I come to you as one seeking aid.
For the people of Pelops trade many goods in distant lands, thus honouring thy name, yet in their own land danger is ever present.
For many soldiers and bandits scour the land, robbing peasants and traders alike of their goods, and decreasing the prosperity of the realm.

I bid thee, please, restrain these bandits, ye who are the fleetest of foot of all the Gods, and Pelops will build a grant temple to honour thy name from the increased prosperity it will bring

Perseus Journals

Chapter X To Punish or Not That’s The Question
kolikko.gif

Tails to punish and heads to not punish it seemed many heroes wondered how to chose.

It was beautiful day when suddenly strange messanger arrived my court who told gods wants to know if I Perseus want to punish Theseus, Autolycos or Heracles for their accused crimes against monsters. My answer was same that had been given to Pelops who asked same in my eyes there just was not enough proof of this years ago claimed truce breaking all I know it was masterfully executed plan that deceived their enemies to think they had received peace. So more simple answer was I don’t think they did nothing wrong.

Soon the same strange messenger of gods come again saying "Autolycos(Peter) (Rome) :Okay, if you have elected to punish, I suggest you attempt to do so... Personally.". I was happy I had not chosen to miss use this gods given opportunity for there was somany possibilities but when gods including obviously even Hermes looked this carefully over this matter it would have been disscowered anyway.

Still it seemed gods didn’t like ignoring their call Vulcan of Etna erupted in Messina killing many Carthages citizen. Still even among all the destruction an interesting opportunity showed itself only years will tell if good of bad will come out of this great eruption of Etna.

During the Messinas rescue operation Carthages good friend and ally Phrygias king Midas called Carthages help agains Peloponnesos and Atlantis as like Perseus Midas saw no reason to punish Theseus, Autolycos and Heracles. This war ended on white peace so fast that not one Carthages army didn’t make to enemy’s land all thanks for saved lives to Phrygian great king Midas.

Chapter XI The Pointless Run for Tassaret

Finally the construction of new great temple for Poseidon was finished in Malta and was consecrated in great ceremony. My admirals were pleased that they received recognition they deserved for they had been key to Carthages salvation in last terrible war against Atlantis.

jumala3.gif

One of great statues in new temple of Poseidon

After ceremonies life in Carthage settled in back on peacefull daily routines that was only disrupted by news of discovery of new land in Anti Atlas fast brave Carthagean people moved to this new land claiming its resources for Carthage and building new city in very short time.

Again Carthage prospered in peace and to thanks gods for all their blessing and peace another great temple was build to honor Athena. Again people celebrated in grand concretion ceremony that honoured gods and gave their hearts more hope and security.

juhla2.gif

Celebration and concretion ceremony of Athenas temple.

Then news from Carthages new city in Anti Atlas that Peloponnesos city had been discovered in Tassaret and that they had build great temple for Hephaestos there. It made me Perseus paranoid that Pelops wants Africa more now. After some diplomats running Carthage found out that also Atlantis was after Tassaret that was even more disturbing. A deal was agreed that witch ever Carthage or Atlantis got to Tassaret first he would get it.

When Gaul delivered their declaration war to Peloponnesus I Perseus did the same thought there being too many documents I accidentally called Midas in war too. Unfortunately that same huge pile of document delayed Carthages troops movement order to Tassaret and Bellerophon arrived there before me Perseus.

Only then did I realise how pointless my gamble for Tassaret had been it sounded so good and tempting but was completely pointless. So I sent my apology to Pelops for entering this pointless war with apology was also white peace offer that Pelops accepted.

Chapter XII War for Africa

temppeli2.gif

Great temple of Hephaestus in Tassaret in hands of Atlantis.

Now Tassaret with its great temple to Hephaestos was in hands of Atlantis nation that had made clear just waited its opportunity to attack Carthage. Again diplomat were sent to run as the situation was unacceptable Atlantis couldn’t be allowed to grow in Africa and so among other messages message for declaration of war to Atlantis was also sent.

Quickly I Perseus lead army to Orania taking its garrison by surprise and moving quickly to Tassaret. Tassarets garrison was no match against valiant troops I led and so it falled fast. Then I returned back to northern deserts of Carthage where new troops joined my army in same time Atlantis landed small army of 14k troops on Orania they were quickly defeated. After temporarily causing Atlantis army becoming smaller I ordered my army to move on heart of Atlantis their capital even in their capital Atlantis troops were no match against elite palace troops of Carthage that quickly took over city.

When Atlantis capital had fallen I thought that all I had to do now was wait Atlantis armies that would try to regain its capital and defeat them. How wrong I was soon come message that Atlantis troops had landed on Sicily. I ordered Carthages fleet to investigate if there was some small atlantis fleet that could be taken by surprise. Again another setback hit Carthage I had forget to pay my fleet half of their salary so they were low on moral thinking what the hell I was thinking. Even in bad moral they fought well and returned to Carthage where I had their money waiting. With strengthened moral Carthages fleet started to battle Atlantis superior fleet back and fort the battles went. Until finally Atlantis fleet was forced to retreat they had been defeated. When this announcement arrived I boarded ships with my army landing in Malta where I destroyed Atlantis 20k army that sieged Malta. Quickly after this also island of sicily was freed from short Atlantis occupation.

laivat2.jpg

Defeat of Atlantis grand navy

Then it was time to Atlantis realise that it had lost the war its fleet and armies were defeated with no hope of regaining its fallen capital. So they agreed to cede Tassaret to Carthage it was great day again the growing thread of Atlantis in Africa was thwarted for now.

Now future looks again more bright for Carthage and and interesting idea was sent by messanger from Gaul it indeed sounds very interesting and promising so preparation and talks to make it true has been started. I Perseus just have to hope that the idea will come reality in coming years for great adventure it would be indeed.

Last edited:
Gaul Chronicles, part II: Iberia Burns

Of Honour and Friendship

The border guards in Gascogne and Gerona woke to the sound of the war horns of Peloponnesean cavalry. In total over 40 thousands of them marched over the border, into Gaul. There were no troops to counter them, for Theseus was still in England. No recruitment had been done in the mainland yet, for anything there could not stand against the Ponslaught of Pelops' armies.

Theseus called his ally, Autolycus to help. Despite of being in a dire situation himself, and also a target for punitive action, Autolycus honoured the call and sent his troops to meet Pelops. Personally, he was still in England, but care was needed in sailing back, for Bellerophon had allied Pelops in his madness.

Pelops split his cavalry into two corps of almost 22 thousand, and a smaller scout unit. Clearly, he was content to advance slowly, for he believed that the exhausted armies of Gaul and Rome could not stop him and Bellerophon. Little did he know what was waiting.

For Midas, the King of Phrygia and a true friend of Theseus had heard of Pelops' treachery, and immediately set sail towards Gaul. His ships had arrived, and he stormed on the split army of Peloponnesos along with his declaration of war. Roman troops sent from Italy joined the hunt for Pelops' troops, and Autolycus landed in Gaul in person. Theseus now set sail from England towards Gaul too, and furious recruitment started.

Within a month, Bellerophon offered peace for Theseus for the price of Galicia, a little colony that was supposed to be sold to him anyway. Theseus gladly agreed, without knowing if this was the original plan of Bellerophon or if he just chickened out with Carthagean troops moving.

The troops of Pelops fled back to Iberia in disarray, and Theseus gathered his own army to the border. He wanted to push on, but after a small chat with his allies, an overall white peace was agreed. Gaul had survived the treachery, thanks to Autolycus and Midas, the noblest of heroes.

Negotiations

Not long after, Hector arrived to a visit. Bravely he had sailed to Gaul in public, and Theseus gave respect for him for this, for he knew Hector had many enemies ready to attack his fleet. Theseus, Hector and Midas met in Lyonnais, where they went hunting for wild boars. Artemis truly smiled on them, and the catch was good. Later on, there was a great party in honour of the meeting, and lots of politics was discussed.

Hector didn't seem to be the evil mastermind at all, but a rather nice chap who had just happened to be lucky in war. What was up with that? Did the stranger still know something Theseus didn't, or had the man been telling lies? Too bad he wasn't around anymore to answer questions.

When Midas and Hector parted for their long voyages home, Theseus felt glad that he had befriended such noble heroes. He also wondered if he should tell Hector about that little incident during the hunting trip, but decided not to.

Boring Stuff

Theseus then spent several years colonising, minting money, built temples and adjusted the borders with Rome slightly. He was growing bored, and kept hearing rumors that Pelops wanted to attack him again, and both Bellerophon and Perseus wanted to attack Pelops. Of this Theseus was rather happy, although their motivation, greed, could have been a nobler one.

Theseus also sailed so many times to Strathclyde and back to put down a revolt against Roman rule that he lost count.

Sweet Sweet Revenge

The messages of greed from both Bellerophon and Perseus got more and more urgent. The earlier schedule Theseus has published for punishing Pelops was to start in year 24*, but after growing bored with listening to his eager 'allies' requests, Theseus put forth the invasion plans in year 17 instead. Bellerophon left Pelops' alliance and joined the alliance of Theseus. Soon, a declaration of war was handed to Pelops. Just a few days after, Perseus declared war on Pelops too.

As expected, Perseus and Bellerophon started a mad race for the temple at Tassaret, while Theseus started careful probes and quick assaults. After easily defeating Pelops' attacking cavalry in Bearn, and capturing the province, Theseus moved to Catalonia, where he defeated Pelops again, this time on plains. With this victory, and the capture of Pelops' capital, the war was won.

In a weird sidetrack, Hercules also joined the war on Pelops' side, for he apparently had agreed to punish Theseus. What inexplainable logic made him think it is ok to punish Theseus for the same "crime" he himself had committed, is beyond understanding. Hercules landed with 16k into Provence, and started sieging. Harsh words and an Ithacan declaration of war seemed to be enough to send Hercules back to Mycenae.

Theseus met Pelops still twice on the battlefield, mercilessly hunting him around Iberia, but finally decided against killing the culprit and made peace on more sensible terms. Gaul took Bearn, and Atlantis took Toledo and Tassaret. Pelops had been punished.

*Theseus bases his calendar on time since he last time got out from the house of Hades

Gaul At Peace

Theseus remained still active, being diplomatic, colonising and building another temple. He then dedicated the three new temples to Ares, Hermes and Aphrodite. The temples were rather cleverly funded, mostly by confiscating valuable sacrifices from other temples. This helped the economy of Gaul enormously.

And thus, after having colonised all the new lands, fighting wars, building temples and meeting heroes, Theseus could finally spend some time resting at the temple of Aphrodite, which Aphrodite herself had earlier visited to have some fun. Relaxed after the worship ceremonies of the priestesses, Theseus dug up from his bag the weird shiny item Autolycus had given him. What it was, he had no idea of, but just touching the item filled him with new vitality. Theseus felt stronger, better, even, perhaps, more clever? This item would truly change his fate. It changed his view on many things in the world.

After all the bad things, broken words, treacheries, unfair wars, it was time to organize something great and noble again .. And he had an idea.

Phrygia - About Monsters And
Gold

By prayers from mighty Theseus to his patron Hades, Midas returned to the world of the living, where war with Phoenicia waited for him.
He found his armies being crippled, his territory under siege and a sure defeat was unavoidable.
A harsh peace was signed.

The Past – negotiating about gold

Orion took Samaria back and demanded six hundred ducats on top of that. Those six hundred ducats were blood money for Phoenicians living in Jordan. Orion would be content with money instead of freeing his own people. “For shame!” Midas thought and counted his own pennies.
Since almost all the Phrygian soldiers were dead, Midas had to agree with the harsh demands. For Phrygia could prolong the war, but not win it.
The hostilities ended and soon Orion began to ask about the promised money. But there was no deadline set for it and Phrygia needed time to recover from the war.
So, Midas told Orion to wait. And to wait. And to wait a little longer. King Midas is not one who gives gold away lightly. He needed time to gather the large sum in silver and bronze. If Midas is forced to give money, he is even more reluctant with it.
Years passed and still Orion did not receive the money. He grew impatient.
War loomed when Orion demanded a date, and Midas told his Giant neighbour that the money would arrive in 1519. That was a date at which Midas would have the money certainly.
Orion wanted it sooner. And eventually invaded. (OOC: boy, that took long before he finally dowed! I almost began to think I could keep the money :D)

The war for six hundred ducats

Orion wanted to rob Midas from his hard gathered gold coins. The greedy Giant knew very well he had no right to do this, for there was no agreement about when the coins would be transferred, but he send his soldiers to march nevertheless. A foul thief he was, nothing more, nothing less.
The Phoenician armies crossed the borders and Phrygia responded by defeating them. Within a year large amounts of Phoenician territory were under Phrygian siege. Soon Phoenicia would be defeated.
Victory was near and Phrygia claimed Samaria back plus the removal of the debt.

The Gift of Odysseus

But Midas forgot Orion never fights wars honourable. He forgot lessosn of the past, which learn Orion does not know how to fight properly. Ithaca was invited by Orion to prey on Phrygia. Of course Odysseus was very interested in picking at a weak nation. This was also a lesson that could be learned from the past.
And there was one who hoped Odysseus would gain sense after the punishment by the Gods!
Well, his time will come, no doubt.
When victory was near for Phrygia, Ithaca send a large army to Phrygia and Midas was killed by the minions of Odysseus. Again a visit to dark Hades waited for the noble King Midas. Even Charon would recognize his face there now.
Orion who had fled to Cyprus, returned triumphantly and took all his provinces back.
And Midas was forced to send the 600 ducats, a large part of them were golden coins.
One day Midas will return and claim it back. One day there will be finally a war between Phoenicia and Phrygia with no other parties involved, which would bring the victory to Phrygia.
After that disastrous war, Phrygia entered an alliance of friendship with Carthago. It would assure a safe border. A border Phoenicia had with Troy for decades already.
Orion demanded a non aggression pact with Phrygia for 25 years. It would allow Phoenicia to gain great strengths and they would build many temples, partly funded by Phrygian gold.
A bitter defeat it was, but one day there would be sweet, sweet revenge for Midas!

The Monsters

In the meantime news reached Phrygia that there were monsters hiding somewhere. Cyclopes in the dark forests beyond Mycene, Minotaurs at the rainy island of Britain, far far away and screeching Harpies at a sunny rock near the coast of Western Africa.
Fearsome monsters they were all and they killed many brave soldiers. The nations of Gaul, Peloponnesus, Atlantis, Rome, Sparta, Ithaca and Mycene saw many of their warriors being killed by the foul beasts. Midas’ good friend Theseus was killed by the Minotaurs years before Midas himself visited Hades.
They were in each others compagnionship again and a strong friendship was crafted. Theseus assured Midas the world would be free from monsters one day.

Even monsters cannot withstand the might of the combined force of the Hero’s who wander this world. The Cyclopes and the Minotaurs were soon defeated and their lands now belong to Gaul, Rome, Sparta and Mycene.

The Triangle

It turned out the monsters were guardians of three parts of the Triangle of Light. The key to the legendary armour of Achilles himself! Or so the tale goes.
Autolycos, son of Hermes and mighty Heracles own two parts of the Triangle and it is said their skills improved enormously after that. Smarter and stronger they became.
Midas wondered what godly powers the armour of Achilles would bring to the lucky owner? Invincibility in battle?
Midas had to prevent at all costs that his old enemy Orion would gain it, but so far the various parts would remain shattered, since no one was strong enough to defeat the others.
Terrifying tales about the mighty Atlantean fleet being defeated by the Harpies hint that in the near future no one would get to own all parts of the triangle.

And Midas was about to return to the world of the living, where many adventures wait for him.

Phrygia - About Punishment And More
Gold

Once again Midas returned from Hades, together with his old friend Theseus. Upon his arrival he was told that the Gods wanted to punish the hero’s who fought bravely with the foul monsters!
Whilst the Gods had not noticed at first, prayers can be a powerful thing and a few of the Gods awoke to the fact that perhaps something needed to be done, or more accurately that doing something would suit their own aims.
Heracles, Theseus and Autolycos broke, according to the Gods, their sworn word.
They asked if the hero’s would punish them.

Midas declined the honour. According to him it was a good thing the monsters no longer killed innocent people. Killing minotaurs and Cyclopes is food for legends, fitting work for a hero in business. And no sane hero would keep his word to a fearsome monster.
Also, all the hero’s who battled the monsters ‘broke’ their word to them. And surely, not all of them can be viewed as cheaters?

So, Midas wisely declined the task. His good friend Perseus did the same and of course so did Theseus and Autolycos. No doubt others would use this task by the Gods to their own benefit.

GOLD!

Perhaps Dionysus, the wise patron of Midas heard about Midas’ attempts to defeat Orion and he wanted to support him. Surely Dionysus knew that Midas needed some gold to help him recover the lost coins to Orion?
No mortal knows the ways of the Gods and Midas was puzzled when Dionysus boomed in his head:

You are falling into greed once more Midas! Did you not learn your lesson before? You want gold, then here is GOLD!

And Alexandria received a Gold mine! And when Midas saw all those shiny, glittering golden coins, he could not resist and took a bath in it. He counted his money until he became so excited that he laughed and laughed and threw his gold up in the air to shower himself with his gold coins. He even lied down and covered himself with golden things and rolled around in it like a child.

Dionysus had changed Alexandria to Gold. Gold seeped throughout the province pervading everything, and it is increasing all the time at such a rate that Midas thought it will spill over into more of Phrygian provinces soon! And Midas was happy with it. The more gold the better!
He needed large, large, large amounts of it to erect temples to the Gods, to buy nice things for himself, to finance wars with his neighbours and even more gold to fill his palace with, to look at, to bathe in and to shower himself with!

Bless Dionysus! The best God one can worship! Midas thought.

Saving Gaul

But soon reality kicked in and Midas had to concentrate on other matters.

Pelops, the oh so pious beggar king of the Peloponnesos declared he would punish Theseus for his bravery and he demanded three provinces.
Midas immediately embarked with a large army and sailed all the way to Gaul, to help Theseus. In a quick war Pelops was defeated and white peace was signed soon. Only Atlantis took opportunistic a small colony from Gaul. Sadly enough, that could not be prevented.

More ‘punishment’

But Bellerophon could learn many great lessons in opportunism from Leonidas of Sparta. He declared to punish Autolycos in the name of the Gods. And he send his armies marching to…make a deal with Autolycos. Oh times, o customs, how low can one sink?

Heracles failed to punish anyone but himself. Hector sailed to Rome to punish Autolycos but was forced to pay 200 ducats instead. Odysseus invaded Mycene when Hector was away to punish Heracles, but he could only force a white peace.
Orion noticed the Mycenean capital city was unguarded and sailed to it with a large army. He landed, took the city without fighting and triumphantly returned with the Triangle of light in Phoenicia!
No doubt the Gods would even reward him from that robbery. Certainly Orion was learning the arts of thievery and robbery very fast and very well!

Soon the non aggression pact would expire and Midas would take personal revenge on Orion.

The end of Orion

Orion desperately tried to lengthen the non aggression pact and Midas knew fear was growing in the Giant’s heart. Midas politely declined to renew the non aggression pact and prepared the Phrygian army to cast down Orion for once and all.

And so it happened. Phrygia invaded and Midas personally commanded the largest army the East had ever seen. 25,000 soldiers were send to Syria, to besiege the province. Midas himself waited with 85,000 strong cavalry army at the border. Ready to kill Orion would he show up.
And Orion did. He send 60,000 soldiers to Syria, overestimating his own skills and not aware he would cause his own dead.
85,000 horses thundered over Orion’s army and in one short battle, the flower of the Phoenician army was dead. Orion was send to Hades and victory was a fact.
Iraq was from now on Phrygian territory.

Friends, Wine, Gold and Victories at the battlefield, Orion dead. What more can a man wish for?

Well, a *little* more gold is always handy….just a little.

Tale of Knemus, commander of the Phantom Force

The ships did lie off the coast of Brittany. This land has been promised to Sparta, and the men were about to disembark from their ships and claim it, but other forces were at play this day. The sky darkened before the eyes of Clemus and a great tempest whipped up the seas coming as it were from nowhere. Cnemus tried to scan out the coast but where he had seen huts before now there was nothing.

The seas continued to roar, the storm coming down ever harder and the men strapped themselves to the ships and hang on for their dear lifes. There was nothing they could do but try and ride out the storm and hope to be alive at the other end of it. For hours the sea raged and Cnemus was sure Poseiden himself was urging on the storm which lashed hardest all along the French coast. Still, for some reason Cnemus felt the storm was not targeted at him and his men. Had the Phantom Force gone unnoticced by the gods themselves, or was Poseidon trying to save Cnemus? Yet finally the storm did end, and Cnemus and a few men remained alive at the other end; a single ship now laying at anchor off the Bretagne coast.

What mysteries lie here that the Gods themselves sought to hide?

Cnemus, a young but careful captain waded to the shore, but before stepping on dry land he turned to face the sea. With a loud voice he then called out:
"Poseidon! You have chosen to save me and my men. But we must tend the injured. We must find water and food. The ship is leaking, we can not leave. Please Poseidon, allow us to step on this land!"

Cnemus waited for a while, waiting for a sign. Suddenly a breeze rised for a moment, rocking the ship gently. All went quiet again. Was that the sign of Poseidon? Cnemus couldn't know for sure, but all he could was to assume so. "Thank you Poseidon, you friend and doom of all sailors. This day will not be forgotten!"

"Men, come ashore! We will set up a camp, and send word to Sparta. Leonidas and our relatives must be worried beyond belief, because a storm of this magnitude will not go unnoticed in Sparta itself. Men, we must hold on until help from Sparta arrives."

Years of fear

Leonidas was preparing Sparta for an invasion. Troy would attack, and it might bring along allies. Leonidas appointed Brasidas to command the mobile force, while Leonidas himself took command of the slower force. In the middle of the seemingly chaotic set-up Leonidas recieved a word from Cnemus. The Phantom Force had survived apparently by the will of Poseidon! Leonidas fell on his knees and bowed towards north west, then stood up and told Brasidas to send help to Cnemus. Spartans would arise an outpost in Bretagne to honour Poseidon.

Leonidas was then told by the oracles Sparta should choose its stance towards those who had slaughtered the guardians. Should Sparta consider Mykene, Gauls or Rome as the responsible, or was Sparta's stance neutral. Leonidas pondered heavily. His honest opinion was none of the heroes had done anything wrong, mosters were monsters after all. Leonidas however knew all the time he had a quest to solve with Autolycos, Autolycos whome Leonidas found to be a man worth his word. Still, Leonidas had unfisnished business with Autolycos.

Days went as Leonidas pondered, then he finally told the oracles that Sparta would attempt to punish Autolycos. Soon there after Leonidas ordered Brasidas to invade Wurttemberg. Leonidas and Autolycos had agreed earlier to a terrain swap, but Leonidas acted faster than he had planned. Leonidas did not want to be seeing waiting in the eyes of the gods.

After the terrain switch with Autolycos was over (Autolycos took his part years later, so the deal was quite profitable to Sparta), Leonidas and Brasidas collected a huge army, and moved to the Roman border. Sparta would honour the gods! Then suddenly Leonidas recieved word from Hercules that Troyans with Hecotr sailed west of Crete. Spartan troops were immediatly given full war-time pay, fleets prepared, children and women moved to safety. Leonidas with his army moved to the prepared positions of Steiermark, Brasidas took the up the defensive positions in the swamps urrounding New Sparta.

For weeks the Spartans waited, but no attack came. Then an envoy from Gallia told Hector had come to meet Theseus. In Gallia! Had Rome and Gallia agreed to give Troyans access through their lands so that they could attack the back of Sparta?! Leonidas told Brasidas to hold positions, while he himself moved his army to Tirol, waiting for the attack of Troyans.

But the attack never came. Instead, the Troyan fleet set sail again, passing Corfu from the south. Once Leonidas learned of this, he moved troops back to Steiermark. But the Troyan attack did not come.

Had the visit to Gallia meant Hector had formed an alliance with Theseus? With Autolycos? If Sparta now took actions, would all the super-powers attack Sparta jointly?

Leonidas discussed the situation with Brasidas for weeks. Leonidas sent envoys to Theseus asking what Theseus was up to, but got no clear answer.

When poor Pelops was assailed from all directions, Leonidas once again postponed the actions towards Rome. Pelops had to be saved! Autolycos agreed to give access, but he mentioned he as an agreement with Theseus. Would that mean Autolycos would support Theseus if Leonidas took actions? Autolycos replied he will not take any actions towards Theseus.

Before Leonidas could be sure of what Autolycos meant, the war in west was already over. Pelops had been seriously beaten, and Leonidas had not been able to help him because of the foggy stance of Autolycos.

Sparta formed a defensive alliance with Ithaca and Phoenicia. Leonidas wanted to be sure Mykene would not attack against Sparta's back when Leonidas took actions in west. But then Mykene allied with Troy. All of the sudden the situation changed from tense to dangerous. Leonidas could not count on his allies to keep hostiles off his back if he went west; Troy and Mykene were the superpowers of the world! The Three could hold on against the onslaught of the two, but not if the western alliance of Rome-Gaullia was also in war against the Three.

Frustrated Leonidas again recalled the plans of western actions.

Once the alliances wore out, Leonidas again began to prepare actions. But then Troyan massive navy and army set sail again to west. Sparta was again in red-alert. But instead of attacking Sparta Troyans invaded Rome!

Brasidas rushed to Leonidas: "Leonidas, now would be an excellent time to attack Rome!"
"Yes Brasidas, it would be an excellent time, but would it be honourable?"
"You are correct Leonidas. We should wait."

But Odysseus of Ithaca didn't wait. Seeing now was the time if ever, Ithacans invaded Troy, overrunning Troyan lands, which were basically defenseless with Hector in Italy. Leonidas applauded and cheered! But all were not equally happy. Some even told publically they will rush to help Troy.

Leonidas informed publically Sparta will get interfered if somebody attacks Ithaca now. That seemed to put a quell on the shouts to help "poor" Troy.

Brasidas asked Leonidas wouldn't now be the time to attack Rome. Leonidas replied that it would indeed be a good time, wouldn't that action propbably rip Ithaca its great victory. Sparta should stay alert and attack anybody considering to rob Ithaca of its great victory. Besides, Troy was so heavily losingm the war possibly couldn't continue, if Hector was smart he would sign a rapid peace to cut the losses.

But Hector was not smart. He continued the futile attempts. Troy lost temples, rebellers burned temples, and in the actions between Ithaca and Troy temples burned. Why did Hector continue the futile war?

Then Hercules attacked Ithaca. Sparta moved in, asking Ithaca to send a call to its alliance. The alliance call arrived, but one day after the war had ended. Hector finally understood the position he was in, and that by Hercules to his aid he had only worsened the situation. Ithaca did get Sochi and Volgograd, and thus the hopes of Leonidas had been fulfilled. Leonidas did however not get the word of peace until a few weeks later, when he was already racing towards Hellas with Brasidas covering the back.
<OOC> I didn't notice the war ended a day before I joined the alliance (lag), and I was rushing to sack Hellas once again though there was no war :p </OOC>

Later Leonidas went to the temple of Ares.
"Ares, oh mighty one! I have failed you. I was unable to take actions against Rome within the time-limit. Please Ares, if it is possible, could I be given just a bit more time to fulfill the quest?"

The Tales of Hercules

The Royal Court of Mycenea, Soprahties, Imperial Recorder

The reign of Hercules continues to go well, Zeus praise his name. While things may be somewhat more expensive then they were when Hercules first assumed the matle of Leadership of the people of Zeus, we only have to look out beyond our many great cities to see the greatness that he has brought to us. Our lands are fertile and bountiful, our numbers continue to increase and our strength grows with each passing season. Truely Zeus has blessed us and to maintain his favour, Mighty Hercules has erected many temples to his father, and being as wise as he is, Hercules has not forgetten the other Gods and has promised to raise temples to them, though Zeus will always stand first in our Kingdom.

Wise Hercules has oft been forced to stive with the fellow Heros of the other Olympians, but never did he do this with a willing and joyful heart. Always he sort to achieve his goals by other means, never was war in his mind or soul, often he sort to bring the light of peace to the North, West and East, though many times they did not listen to him, and long after most people would have given up, he would still be striving to bring enlightenment to his fellow Heros. Heavy indeed was the Heart of Sorrowful Hercules when he was forced to go to war with his neighbours to bring about the betterment of his people and indeed, theirs. For never did Hercules make war for his own petty gain, always he sort to bring a better way of life to his neighbours.

The Wars with New Spata and Troy where never joyus affairs, for truely, did Hercules admire these people, but they often but Hercules in the postion where war was the only conclusion. So Great was Hercules though, that he did though make Peace and Friendship with these two mighty powers. Charismatic Hercules was able to sign several treaties with New Sparta which brought about a period of peace with these proud people, agreements were sworn, that the two Heros would never take up arms against each other and there was much rejoying amongst the people of the borders.

With Troy, the peace was slightly uneasier. The Power of Hector was great and his hunger to expand was often feared. But the Might of Great hercules Navy was able to keep Hector to the East, where his might was near uncontested. Indeed by the Power of the Navy, Diplomatic Hercules was able to open up the Western borders allowing trade to pass between the two peoples, and indeed Friendship blossomed between the peoples. So great was the power of Hercules' words, An alliance was often formed between the peoples of Troy and Mycenae, to defend each other.

The North was an entirely different Area. The power of Odeyuss waxed and Wanned regularly, but always his drive to expand against Mycenae was there, and often would Odeyuss lead armies into Mycenaean Soil. Merciful Hercules though, never gave up hope of trying to curb Odeyuss's nature, and would never demand territories from Odeyuss, he always made a peace that involved nothing passing between the two peoples, such was his regards for Athena. However Great Hercules can not allow this sate of affairs to continue forever, his northern people are suffering from Ithican Invasions...

Temple Effect for 1535

Over a century had passed in the new world. In the west Bellerophon asked for nothing fromt he Gods and got nothing, whilst Pelops for once stopped pestering Hephaestus, a rare event indeed!

In the north Theseus with the help of guidance from Hermes began exploring the hinterlands of Gaul as well as using the God of tricks to help expand his trade in Veneto and his population thanks to Aphrodite. His former neighbour Leonidas, equally as powerful in blessings summoned two heroes to lead his armies as well as praying to Artemis and Poseiden to bring harm to Rome. Clearly Leonidas had a bone to pick.

Moving east Heracles continued to defy the Gods, all except Zeus that is as two more temples were dedicated to his da. Shame the rest of Olympus hates Heracles so and he didn't exactly help his cause choosing wealth over piety.

Onwards into the lands beyond Mycenae sits Troy. Wracked by the after effects of war, the great Temple to Apollo was rebuilt in the capital and Hectors broken body laid upon its floor there to rest for a day and a night at the newly built site. Upon the morrow the Trojan leader returned at the behest of Apollo to lead his people back to glory.

In Carthage Perseus began to prepare for the Catalonian games praying to Hephaestus for the finest armour and weapons to help him in the coming contest with Theseus. When he was all decked out the glare from his polished metal was enough to blind his enemies even on a cloudy day.

No news was heard from Midas but rumours continued to come out of his realm that more and more gold was being found, or perhaps created. Alexandria was awash with the yellow metal and now it was said that buildings in Judea were also beginning to change colour...

Across the border from Judea stands Orion, and Orion like Gaul was seeking the help of the Gods to extend his knowledge of new lands, asking for help from Apollo in this task whilst also calling upon other minor blessings to improve the lot of his people. Rumours were also leaking out that Orion had sold the province of Astrakhan to Troy for an unknown sum of money. A strategic move to cut down on his borders or a way to help out an old friend?

Like Midas, of Odysseus and Autolycos little was currently heard about their prayers to the Gods or other actions.

But what about news from Olympus? Well all will have heard rumours of the coming Olympics, but those are likely still some way off, of more immediate news is the fury of Athena at the action, or lack thereof of certain individuals who agreed to punish those who were in the Goddesses bad book. All who undertook the mission and failed are shamed before the Gods (-2 vp's), whilst some who didn't even really try can expect a visit from the Goddess before long...

Leonidas was not happy, nor was he proud. The gods had deemed him a failure. The pleas to get more time had not been productive.

Never the less. Leonidas had given his word. He would honour it, even if men and gods thought he had broken it. Leonidas would honour his given word.

Sparta would mettle strength with Rome. Leonidas sent envoys to Autolycos, because nobody should be able to say Leonidas did sneak-attack on its noble neighbour.

If the point is sharp, and the arrow is swift, it can pierce through the dust no matter how thick.
Bob Dylan

Phoenicia 1506 to 1535

Blessed by the Huntress, and with peace on all borders, Phoenicia seemed destined to prosper. And it was so, mild taxations and bountiful trade brought in great riches to the great cities of our land. And our great leader, Orion, used these funds well.

The gods had shown us a way through the mountains of Azerbaijan, and the most adventurous of our people settled there, and Orion, in his wisdom, rewarded those brave adventurers, for their bravery is an example to all.

A second project was funded from the Phoenician riches, aswell, as the great Phoenician marine was expanded to ensure that trade would flow uninterupted.

But the greatest projects, for sure, were dedicated to the Gods. On the request of the Gods, Orion and the most noble of the Phoenician soldiers embarked on a great journey to punish Heracles, and their punishment was swift and just. By far the largest amount, though, was spent on building great Temples to the Gods. Besides the Great Temple of Artemis in Lebanon, and Zeus' Temple on the highest mountain of Phoenicia, three new Great Temples were built, a Temple to Hera in Derbent, a Temple to Apollo in New Syria, and a second Great Temple to Artemis in Damascus.

All these great deeds, however, are overshadowed by recent events. Greedy Midas once more sent forth his hosts of fell barbarians, and they ravaged the countryside. And oncemore, as Orion faced Midas to repel him, did someone intervene to grant greedy Midas an impossible victory. Orion, and with him the youth of the Phoenician nation, lay dead on the field. And once more did Midas claim souvereignship over Phoenician territory.

But that was not all, for Heracles, justly punished years before, held a grudge against Phoenicia, and the Mycenean navy blocked the ports of Phoenicia, and harassed our merchants and fishermen, until his demands were met. What these demands were, only the regent knows, but rumours have it that an artifact of great power was lost to our great nation.

Messina - 1562

Heracles stood besieged by his neighbours and in a last show of defiance threw the Triangle artifact into the Aegean where the storm tossed seas and undercurrents grabbed hold of it, taking it out of the world of men and away from Odysseus's clutches.

Or so it seemed at the time, and no doubt so Heracles hoped.

Yet an artifact like this can not so easily be lost, especially not when the Gods have a wager in hand upon the one who pocesses it.

Bribes were made upon Olympus and Poseidens creatures sent out to return it from the ocean floor; and so it was that one day a noble from Perseus's household found the piece of the triangle lying upon the shore. A gift from Hephaestus to the master of Messina.

Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes

"So, the gods like surprises, don't they," Orion whispered to one of his advisors as the strangers arrived for their audience.

Their bows, in perfect unison, were fitting to Orion's position, yet they radiated something else. If anything, they were too perfect.
"Welcome, strangers, to fair Phoenicia. So long as you respect our customs, you are welcome to stay as long as you want," Orion said while waiting for any information that could be obtained about these strangers, who had so suddenly appeared outside Lebanon requesting an audience with the ruler of the city. "What brings you to this city, and why have you requested this audience?"

"Noble lord, we are but humble merchants, seeking to trade the goods of our homecountries for exotic goods from this country."
Orion had no trouble understanding the man, but somewhere in the back of his mind, he felt that something was strange about the man's voice and language, though he could not say what. "We seek merely your consent in our trading activities, as this often greatly eases the trouble of making a deal with the local merchants."

"So long as you abide by our laws, and pay customs duty as does everyone else, I see no reason why not. You have my permission to trade. If there is nothing else? I have to inspect the new recruits.I trust that for further arangements can be made with the treasurer."

"Thank you, my lord, we are most grateful, please accept this gift as a token of our apreciation"

treasure.jpg

... In but a few months, caravans laden with goods from abroad arrived almost dayly in Lebanon, and an equal number would depart with Phoenician goods of the highest quality. Trade was booming, but not everyone was happy, as the strangers were so skilled, and their goods so highly valued, that many Phoenician merchants were reduced to factors of the foreign merchants.

"I hear you have a matter of importance for me?"

"Indeed I have, mylord, the foreigners have come with a most unusual proposal," Answered the treasurer,"They request a small plot of land near the harbour, from where they could organise their caravans, and could, perhaps, even arange seaborne trade." [OOC: Trade Agreement- I was spammed with the requests]

"I see, most unusual indeed. Have you been able to find more about them? Where they come from, how their caravans come here?"

"Very little, mylord, I have seen excellent maps of their cities, but none of the way there, and I am, as yet, at a loss at how they get here."

"Then hold off their proposals for now, but try to find out what they are willing to offer for a better trading position. It is, after all, a matter of give and take, and if I understand correctly, for now most wealth flows to them."

"Indeed mylord, very little of the profits finds it way to Phoenician coffers. But I shall try to find an arrangement that will benefit us more, aswell."

Perseus Journals

Chapter XIII Catalonian Games

Mount Olympos had been consulted and answer was positive for Theseus and I Perseus had made lots of preparations to arrange great games to honor gods and contest for skills in battle fields. Games had been set to start in 1542 but due mysterious traders and gods blessing Theseus and I decided to start games earlier in june of 1540.

kilpa-ajot2.jpg

Chariot race in opening ceremonies of Catalonian Games

All was ready gods and audience from all over the world had gathered in Peloponnesus to watch, bet and enjoy the coming spectacle of skills. In first day of june 1540 games started Carthages fleet set sail to Peloponnesus while Gaul armies grossed the border of Peloponnesus. Cleverly Gaul used fast troops to take over contested land when Carthagean fleet finally reached Valencia unloading its armies upon waiting army of Gaul. Bloody was the battle in shores of Valencia tens of thousands soldiers were sent to Hades. Battle finally ended in awesome duel between me Perseus and Theseus of Gaul long two great heroes sent mighty blows against eatch other untill finally sun become out of cloud sending its rays to shine brilliantly from my armour temporarily blinding Theseus who’s defence then failed in crucial moment and my sword cut him down unfortunately not only wounding but sending Theseus to meet Hades.

But this was not the end just beginning of Catalonian games battles for when Theseus falled it seemed Gaul armies got even more vigorous and determined to win more and more Gaul warriors joined the ranks of Gaul armies and crossed Peloponesos border while more and more Carthagian troops was carried over the ocean to join battles. So battles went on across Peloponnesos and tens of thousands soldiers died when they tried to achieve perfection but lost in the gambles of gods. Finally Gaul forces were gathered in Aragorn where I Perseus attacked with fresh troops from Carthage defeating Gauls decisively so they were unable to bring new armies before Carthages troops took control of 4 contested provinces so ending the first Catalonian Games in victory of me Perseus.

aleksanteri2.jpg

Defeat of Gaul in last battle of Catalonian Games in Aragorn

The games were success gods were pleased they had had fun and been honored and audience was happily returning home with amazing stories to be told for coming generations. It was clear these games had been beginning for something maybe even more bigger and legendary what it will be is for future to show.

Chapter XIV Defeat of Harpies

harpies.gif

Harpies the terrorising snatchers.

After the games and celebrations life slowly returned to normal peaceful routine in Carthage. Then I started to talk with my noble ally and good friend Midas if there would be something we could do together to make world better place. Long was the talks as Dionysus visited and big parties where thrown to him. During the party Midas and I remembered the last monsters Harpies still threatening the world so we started to curse that was there no hero up task ridding world of them. During this productive talk Dionysus himself with some stranger who hold dice in hes hands asking us to play with him proposed why not Midas and me Perseus rid the world of these terrible monsters. Iam sure there was something familiar in that stranger and something weird in wine Dionysus give us but they were so generous and nice that we started to boost yes why not surely we could do it after all hadnt I won the Catalonian games and Midas astonishing victory over Orion.

*Note for myself: During the long talks and Dionysus parties Hephaestos the great smith finished hes work in Etna and was so thankfull of the peacefull conditions Carthage counranteeded for him that he gifted all nations in world.

Waking up next morning with terrible headache I wondered what did I do last night hoping I handnt opened too mutch my big mouth like I did when my admirals found out how useless only transport fleet is. I went to look for Midas who seemed to be in same condition and wondered the same thing I did. Then Dionysus and Hermes priests suddenly appeared telling us they had received visions from their gods telling that we had promised to them free world from Harpies terror. Looking to Midas helpless I said “ I ques that answers our question what we did last night better starting to get ready” Midas “Yes well maybe Harpies have some gold”.

Soon Carhagean fleet lead by admiral Neptunus raised its sails in same time with Phrygian fleet setting sails toward Canaries while I Perseus took over Harpies city in Sahara preventing them causing trouble in mainland. To our surprise there was no Harpy fleet to meet us so we thought hey what a piece of cake. Well we learned it hard way it was far from that. As then suddenly Harpies fleet come out surprising our combined fleet sending us on retreat. But to all surprise in front of Toubucal admiral Neptunus won victory over chasing Harpy fleet quickly this was used and I boarded ships with 50k man and attacked Canaries itself unfortunately Harpies island was hard to land when they attack from skies sending me and my troops on run back to ships thought great were Harpies casualties too only half of their army survived.

Waiting in ships I Perseus prepared to new assault on Canaries but then Harpies fleet returned with improved moral sending Carthages and Phrygias combined fleet on run again. Back and fort went the naval battles slowly but surely was Harpies fleet wear down. The end of Harpies finally came where it all had began in front of Toubucal where admiral Neptunus again showed hes skills even thought the battle itself was lost only 11 Harpy ships survived it meaning it was the end of harpies reing of terror in seas. Soon I Perseus again landed in Canaries this time knowing what to wait and so defeating the last army of Harpies opening Canaries to Phrygian siege troops.

In time the gates of Harpies were struckt down by Phrygian siege troops who then where given riddle they easily solved. Harpies then demanded Phrygia to sign peace and not to demand nothing fror them for they had received triangle as price. Quick negotiation with phrygian and cathages scribes who carefully read all the articles of Harpies offer and it was clear that it only binded Midas not me Perseus I could demand Sahara for Carthage. So alliance peace treaty was sent to Harpies who were explained the situation that Midas could make separate WP and I Perseus take over their city to gain Sahara but even that they were monsters they understood the mercy and wisdom of arrange all in alliance peace saving them from more useless suffering nothing for Midas as he promised to ask nothing and Sahara to me Perseus.

After peace few nations claimed Midas had not done what he promised but that was clearly blind accusation of envious people who couldn’t accept other succeeding where they failed. If we look what is white peace Midas promised himself to give it is peace where one doesn’t demand nothing for himself and Midas didn’t demand nothing for himself and I Perseus never promised or was asked by Harpies or gods not to demand nothing. For it was alliance peace and must be viewed as two part peace one for Midas one for me Perseus and when all that happens is land for me Perseus its clear Midas kept hes promise of not asking nothing for himself after getting triangle.

Chapter XV 2nd Atlantis Crisis

Harpies were defeated reing of monsters terror was over people celebrated all over Carthage and Phrygia when heroes returned to home telling tales that would come legends when time passes. All seemed to go peacefully again as life smiled upon both kingdoms of desert alliance. Then news hit like lightning from sky Carthages and Phrygias courts Atlantis had decided to use 5 year truce promised to Harpies by Carthage and Phrygia to destroy them when they were down and steal their riches and slave their the people that had moved there to worship Poseidon in temple of Harpies. Fast Atlantis troops sieged the helpless city of Harpies great was anger of me Perseus and Midas how Atlantis dares.

senaatti2.jpg

Anger in court of Carthage after receiving message of Atlantis attack against Harpies

Messenger was sent to Atlantis with simple message leave Canaries or pay the consequences. Atlantis refused to stop siege of Canaries despite continuing warnings it would have consequences not good for Atlantis. After I Perseus realised it would be pointless to send anymore warnings it was time to make warning come true. Declaration of war was sent to Atlantis and immediately after it I Perseus sailed to Fez and attack Atlantis capital taking it in one swift move. Now admiral Neptunus sailed Carthages fleet in channel between Atlantis iberia and their capital forcing Atlantis navy to be blocaded in Gibraltar while allowing me Perseus to pass over and attack first time in history on Atlantis heartlands. At this time Bellerophon asked white peace saying he would leave Canaries but I declined the offer I had told it would have consequences and I would keep my word. Victory after another followed and cities were occupied untill reinforcements troops joined my army in battle where Atlantis army was redused to point of no return.

Then Atlantis messanger arrived camp of my army asking what would be price of peace I gave him answer Orania last Atlantis bastion in africa would be the price of this lesson. Quickly Atlantis messenger returned telling Bellerophon had accepted peace proposal of Carthage it was time to stop ravaging iberia and return home lesson had been learned.

2nd Atlantis crisis was over but it was clear something had to be done to ensure safety of Poseidons followers in canaries they couldn’t be left to live in fear of vultures that waited to use their defeat so the two great kings of desert alliance I Perseus and Midas of Phrygia meeted to decide what to do. After long talks it was decided that Midas would take Canaries under hes protection for he had solved their riddle and had received their triangle so being obvious choice to be their new protector.

Now it was again time to look for welfare of my people they had earned it great deeds had been accomplished and new adventures waited me and my people to be part of .

Last edited:
Troy: 1506 - 1562

Troy had stood strong when Hector set sail for Gaul and the conference with Theseus, a set of talks that would hopefully consolidate peace with that nation. Yet Troy had many enemies, envious of Troy’s wealth, nation who might try to take advantage of Hectors voyage and ambush him on the way so tensions and anxiety was high over the coming journey. Whilst some amongst the court spoke of the fear of treachery and concern that others might take advantage of Troy whilst Hector was absent, Hector put aside such worries, Theseus was an honourable man and Hector had a yearning to visit the great temple of Hades that stood majestically over Gaul's capital.

Hector reassured his people and set off, leaving his son Aexus to rule in his absence whilst making the long journey across the Mediterranean to Gaul.

Tensions were high yet none dared or cared to interfere and Hector at last entered the Gaulish capital of Provence without incidence. There he was wined and dined most magnificently by Theseus and for many weeks they discussed the weighty matters of state. Hector also took time to visit the temple of Hades and there prayed. Prayed for his lost love and all his past friends who now resided in the lands of the Underworld. He received no direct contact from Hades but for the first time in over a century he felt his first moments of peace.

In time, their talks concluded Hector departed Gaul leaving behind a new friend. Upon his return his son informed him that the great Apollo himself had manifested at his temple in the capital and called upon Troy to help punish Autolycos for his transgressions against the Gods. Hector was troubled but agreed that something needed to be done, first however he wanted to teach Leonidas a lesson for his plotting against Troy and called upon Heracles to fulfil their pact. Yet the years passed and Heracles unwilling to help Troy and in time their alliance, signed for one reason expired. Well Heracles would pay Hector decided for this manipulation. Clearly the son of Zeus had tried to manipulate Troy with no intention of fulfilling the basis of the alliance. So be it.

Hector turned now to his God given mission, an attack upon Autolycos the better to bring Hermes son into line.

Here though events took a turn for the worse. Hector led Troy’s army against the merchant thief beginning the siege of many cities, but Autolycos proved a wily opponent and scored many stunning victories against the Trojan invaders. Then, with her armies depleted in Rome and few reserves available back at home Odysseus of Ithaca struck!

Pouring over the border Odysseus led his hordes through Troy, looting and burning as he came. The great temple to Hera in Sochi was burnt to the ground and that would not be the last, with the temple to Zeus and the one to Apollo in the capital following before the war was done. Truly did Troy burn. Hector led his army back from Rome yet that journey took some months whilst his son tried to defend the homeland. With few men and fewer recruits available it proved a task beyond him, and even when Hector at last set foot upon Troy's shores once more the war had gone too far for Hector to recover. He would try of course, try most gloriously, but the task was too much and Troy’s leader at the end fell before the Ithacan soldiers.

Rule passed once more to Aexus and the tasks of statesmanship proved too great a burden for the young man. Heracles now put pressure on the regent - I will aid you in return for the island of Rhodes Heracles said, and Aexus buckled under the pressure of the situation and gave Heracles Rhodes. Yet no help was forthcoming in time to alter anything and Aexus fought on long past the time when peace should have been made. When he too finally fell in battle the Trojan council of leaders had no choice but to cede Sochi and Volgograd to Odysseus knowing that the now rebel held province cut off in the north would soon break free too. Truly Troy’s defeat was terrible and the whole country mourned as Hectors broken body was placed within the newly rebuilt temple of Apollo.

There Hector lay for a day and a night and there he dreamed.

He walked the lands of Hades seeking out his wife, yet wherever he walked there was no sign of her. He prayed to Hades for guidance yet received only silence and fell into despair. Finally after many months a glowing light appeared before his deadened eyes, the golden image of Apollo was upon him, bidding him return to his people and save them from the stark future.

Hector was quickly brought abreast of the situation and was furious at the way Heracles took advantage of Troy in her moment of weakness. He immediately set off for talks with Heracles and the giant replied that he would help Hector against Odysseus in the future. This sounded a lot like Heracles previous promise to help Hector against Leonidas so Hector departed and sought words with Odysseus next.

Odysseus promised reparations to the tune of 500d and the return of the rebel held province in the northwest in return for an alliance against Heracles in the future. For this to have any benefit to Troy Hector needed a way to connect his lands in the east and so approached his good friend Orion, enquiring if he would be willing to sell the province of Astrakhan. Orion proved his friendship once again and a price was agreed. Now Hector could return to Odysseus and an alliance agreed. An alliance where both parties were out for blood!

Despite the tragedy of the previous decade and the burning of the temple to Zeus and Hera, Troy had one new temple constructed during those previous long years and this temple was dedicated to Poseidon, for Troy would need his help if she were to have a chance at besting Mycenae's great fleet.

Hector slowly put down all the rebels infesting his lands with the help of Orion, and took ownership over Astrakhan, in the mean time Heracles had got himself into a war against Leonidas. Odysseus conferred and said this was the time to strike, and though Troy was barely recovered Hector agreed that the opportunity was too good to pass up. He would see Rhodes returned to Trojan rule or blood would flow across Mycenae.

The war was actually swift in execution and conclusion. Rhodes was stormed and the army transferred to Mycenae's mainland with no sign of Mycenae's fabled fleet in sight. Hector demanded that Heracles return Rhodes to Troy and Bujak to Odysseus, and although this was met with refusal at first Heracles soon saw that these demands were more than generous.

Peace was made and Hector was free to now rebuild Troy’s forces into a proper army, for until now she had been able to afford little more than infantry due to her losses and the loans she had wracked up in the Odysseus war. Heracles continued to fight Leonidas who himself had been overrun by Rome. Hector watched from afar and considered fate had transpired to punish Leonidas where Hector himself had been unable. As he watched the Spartan hero brought low he felt his own enmity for Leonidas wash away and some of his former friendship to Sparta return. This was further consolidated when Odysseus invite Sparta into her alliance, querying if Troy would help save Sparta.

Well Hector would break no truce but Heracles still awaited final punishment for his actions. He had returned Rhodes it was true yet that did not alter the fact that he had used his fleet and position to harm Troy whilst Troy fought for her life. It was time to remove the Mycenae pirates as a threat once and for all, or at the very least stop her growing even stronger at Leonidas's expense.

Odysseus blew the call to battle and Hector struck quickly at Heracles capital, taking it after one failed storming of the battlements. Now Hector moved to Ionia and then Crete taking both islands in quick succession. There it was in the waters off Crete that the two greatest fleets in the world met. The numbers were about equal, roughly 180 ships strong each, with slightly more warships in Mycenae's navy compared to Troy’s. The battle however was anything but even for Troy had Poseidon’s blessing behind her as well as cleverer shipwrights and her ships moved through the waters far more quickly allowing her to outmanoeuvre Mycenae and strike a stunning victory that rang across the Aegean. Mycenae's days of ruling the Mediterranean seas were over! Another naval battle outside Ionia would only consolidate the situation and Hector now landed once more upon the mainland conquering Macedonia to link up with Odysseus's advance. Outnumbered and beaten upon both land and sea Heracles gave his surrender to Odysseus and Hector, accepting the transfer of ruler over Mycenae’s former islands. Sadly Heracles then went back on his word of surrender and took up the fight once more against Odysseus, a betrayal of the norms of war that would eventually see him lose possession of five provinces in the north. Odysseus had wanted a single province plus the one piece of the Triangle that Heracles processed, but Heracles in a last act of defiance had thrown the artefact into the sea and out of his enemies reach. Odysseus' revenge was brutal indeed and Heracles stubbornness cost him dear. Ithaca was now indeed a major power!

Prayer and Contemplation
Pelops was surprised when suddenly he saw that traders from far off lands, unknown to Greeks before then, had shown up in tradecenters in the east. Yet he was glad, too, for these brought many good ideas that greatly improved the status of the military.
Apparently, Athena had granted him his boon, or perhaps another God had done it, but the fact remained that it was good indeed. He heard naught from the other Gods, and could only assume they had rejected his prayer.

One of the priests of Hephaestos, a certain Myrtilos, asked him about this:"My lord, why have the Gods abandoned us? And if they have, why should we not abandon them too?"
Pelops to this replied: "It is not they who did the abandoning. We have strayed from the path of the Gods, and failed them. We must improve our standing to the Gods, by building temples in their honour, and only THEN request boons. I did not know this before, but through contemplation I have heard it.
For the Gods reward the faithfull and the righteous, and they honour none more than those who do their bidding. Unlike what you may think, they care little for ability, and they will reward those who do more for them more, even if they had more chance to do their bidding.
This is, offcourse, not what seems fair, but the Gods care for results, not being fair. Therefore, we must build temples to honour them, despite the costs."

And thus it was that Pelops began a great project to build the temples he had promised the Gods, he could only hope that they would grant him boons for it. In Aragon, Cantabria and Navarra great temples were built, so thet his homeland was covered with them.
In these temples Aphrodite, wife of Hephaestos, Hermes, the God of Pelops' traders, and Athena, who had granted great creativity to his people, were honoured.
Pelops hoped that, through these temples, he could gain as great boons as the temple of Hephaestos had given, allthough he was not sure.

Yet when this project was nearly done, great news reached Pelops. Hephaestos, the Weaponsmith of the Gods, blessed be his name, had great news. His new forge near mount Etna was, thanks to the good work of Perseus, completed. And now, as a gift, he presented to Pelops his first items created there.
Pelops used these to good effect, and thus had some of the tax income that he had prepared for the temples left over. Therefore, he decided that in the lush valleys of Leon another temple would be built, to honour Zeus, who is, as we know, the Father of the Gods, and thus worthy of praise.

When the great temple of Zeus was cmpleted, Pelops turned again to the outside world, and it was troubled. The people of Toledo, suppressed by Bellerophon the madman, had risen up in revolt at the time that Bellerophon attempted to destroy the Harpies. Perseus did not like that, and thus war erupted again, a war that could well be called the seventh Iberian war, as for once Perseus penetrated into Iberia and thus defeated the armies Bellerophon sent to suppress the people of Toledo.
Yet in the end, Perseus looked out more for his own than for the people of Toledo. Not strange, and Pelops could only thank him for what he HAD done, but a shame nonetheless. And Theseus, Theseus ever guaranteed the borders of Bellerophon, or at least against Pelops he did. And because he had done naught in the seventh Iberian war, his armies were fresh, and much greater in size than those of Pelops.

Thus, the brave people of Toledo were suppressed yet again, and Pelops could only continue to do what he had done, pray and think. Yet strange news now reached his ears. Odysseus and Hector had attacked Heracles in the back, and made him suffer. Pelops could only give diplomatic support, and did his best at that, but apparently Heracles had annoyed people once too many, and now suffered a fate similar to Pelops'.
Pelops was not amused, but having no way to aid him, he could only hope that someday the balance would be restored.

Phrygia - About Defeating Harpies And The Usual Gold

MORE GLITTERING GOLD!

Dionysus, praise his name, granted Midas another gold mine. This time the Phrygian province of Judea benefitted enormously from his blessings.
Once again Dionysus asked Midas if he wanted more gold. “What a strange question“, Midas thought. “Why should one NOT want more gold?
And Midas told Dionysus more gold was always welcome. It would be used for countless reasonable useful things. Temples, troops, palaces and many, many vineyards.
The first temple that was erected was one in Alexandria, the first province gifted with a goldmine. It was build in honour of Zeus, Dionysus’ father. Midas proclaimed: "Each gold mine province will have a temple build in honour of Dionysus or his family!"
Midas hoped that this would make Dionysus look more favourable on him and the God hinted that this would indeed be the case since he visited Phrygia twice to have a party. (OOC: The Dionysus party event occurred twice after the temples were build :D)

The Mysterious traders

News reached Phrygia that there were mysterious traders outcompeting every merchant in the Phoenician center of trade, as the strangers were so skilled, and their goods so highly valued, that all Phrygian merchants went to other centers of trade. It remained a mystery who those mysterious traders were, for they refused to talk to Phrygians. Midas was unable to conduct diplomacy with them. There was only one fact: The mysterious traders came from far, far away and they were…mysterious.
At least the Phoenicians were unable to trade in their own center of trade as well.

Games in the Peloponnesus

Pelops, the beggar king of the Peloponnesus, arranged games. Theseus and Perseus would compete with each other and those who wanted to watch had to pay an outrageous attending fee of 200 ducats.
Midas did not attend the games.

The war of the easterlings

It seemed that Athena, former patron of Odysseus, ordered a few heroes to battle with each other and soon Atlantis declared war on Mycene and Mycene responded with invading the realm of New Sparta.
Atlantis succeeded in making numerous coastal assaults, despite Mycene having the largest fleet of the world. Hercules send his armies left and right, but was unable to catch the Atlantean forces.
The troops of the brave Leonidas invaded as well and Midas was certain Mycene would fall soon.
But Autolycus of Rome remembered the threats by Leonidas in the past and timed his own invasion perfectly. Soon the Spartan troops had to return home to match the Roman soldiers invading New Sparta.
For a while the war seemed even. Heracles desperately tried to kill the small Atlantean invasion forces and Rome and Sparta were at a stalemate for a good while.
But then the cunning Odysseus, who appaerently had signed a treaty with Hector, his old enemy, invaded Mycenea as well. Quickly Troy and Ithaca robbed helpless Mycenea from two provinces. After a while Autolycos managed to kill Leonidas when that poor sob marched to Rome in a bold attempt to win the war...
New Sparta prolonged the unavoidable for a good while by winning some spectacular naval battles against both Rome and Mycene, but in the end Leonidas' country was forced to cede two provinces and the Spartan capital was plundered by Heracles.
However, when Heracles was busy in Sparta, Ithaca and Troy once again invaded. Troy again conquered an island from helpless Mycene and Odysseus demanded a triangle part, plus the additional province as well.
The stubborn Heracles threw the triangle part in the Ocean and the rest is history. Ithaca is now a great nation again and Mycene is…not.

Fighting the Harpies

Perseus and Midas had old plans to free the world from the last remaining monsters: the screeching harpies on the Canarian islands.
Those fearsome beasts had terrorized the coasts of Africa and Iberia far too long.

During a traditional Dionysus party with lots of wine, women and olives, Midas and Perseus remembered each other about how those Harpies still threatened innocent humans. They both cursed the heroes who were unable to get rid of the Harpies and bragged they could do it. During this drunkard talks, Dionysus interrupted and informed why Midas and Perseus would not try to do it. Perhaps it was the excessive amount of wine, but Midas and Perseus accepted the challenge. Afterall, they both felt confident. Midas recently defeated Orion in a spectacular battle and Perseus won the Catalonian games.
Midas and Perseus would show the world that there were still real heroes!
What Atlantis and the Peloponnesus couldn’t, would be done by Phrygia and Carthago. Midas and Perseus went off to a quest for glory (and a bit of gold).

A large fleet was send out to destroy the harpy warfleet. More than 250 Phrygian-Carthagian galleys set sail for glorious battles, with numerous Carthagian soldiers, led by Perseus himself.
Also a brand new Phrygian artillery division embarked. Those new cannons would be tested against the walls of the defending monsters.

Six times the allied warfleet was driven back. The morale of the marine broken and many ships sunken, but each time the Harpies lost ships too and in the end the numerical superiority of the allied fleet brought them the victory. Within moments a Phrygian army laid siege over the harpy capitol.

Riddles and White peace

Midas marched to the crumbling gates of the almost fallen capitol. Very bravely he marched to the very gates, daring the enemy to raise their hands against him, while his soldiers followed from a safe distance. In the gate opening, numerous harpies stood in their armour of bronze (not gold, alas), with crested helmets and such. Midas spoke words of parlay…

And it was then that the harpies asked Midas a riddle. It was a pretty simple one:
If you take two apples, how many apples do you have?
Since Midas is pretty good in knowing what he has and what not, he of course answered correctly. His intelligence was tested by the Harpies and Midas passed the test. He would diminish and go into the West and remain Gal..…wait! Wrong story.
Midas passed the test.

The Harpies handed him a part of the triangle of light and begged him for mercy.
"Midas, please sign white peace!", the Harpies said. And Midas asked: "Do you mean, I, Midas, am not allowed to take anything from you, you... beasts!?"
And the Harpies screeched: "Yes!"

And thus Midas signed a peace where he did not take anything, in his eyes a decent blanco treaty. The treaty was an empty paper. It did not contain any demands.
It was...a White peace.

Midas then went to great efforts to bring back his army to Phrygia without the spoils after almost four years of warfare. This did not improve his standing in the world, but it would probably improve his reputation In Olympus…
Though Ares might mutter a bit.
Midas even managed to not take any gold from the Harpies. Everyone should know what a great sacrifice that was.
His good friend Perseus was content with occupying the deserts of the Sahara. Perseus didn’t get to answer a riddle, nor did he receive a part of the triangle, nor did the Harpies ask him to leave them alone, so it was only natural the mighty hero would take some sand to satisfy Carthago.

After the peace was a fact, some heroes had the hubris to question the peace deal! Of course it was expected Leonidas and the always-annoying Orion would comment the peace, for they were unable to slay monsters themselves and they were most willing to punish Heracles and Autolycos for their heroic deeds in the past. Midas expected some expressions of frustrations by them.
However, even Autolycos said it wasn’t a honest peacedeal. This was disappointing and not expected. For was it not Autolycos who broke his word to the Minotaurs? Was it not Autolycos who slaughtered the Minotaurs, the guardians of the triangle? Was it not Midas who helped Autolycos when certain heroes wanted to punish the merchant thief?
Yet he dared to comment about Midas’ acts of benevolence. Oh times! Oh customs!

No doubt some of those jealous heroes would pray to the Gods and demand punishment to the good king Midas!
Midas could only hope the Gods would content themselves against these possible acts of stupidity.

At least he still had the blessings of Dionysus! More gold would be welcome and necessary to withstand the possible punishment that would rain on his head. (Midas hoped Apollo wasn't involved, for he liked his ears as they were now...)
With six temples Midas was amongst the most pious persons of the planet, that might help..

Add the triangle part and it is clear Midas is more than ready for more glorious adventures!

Last edited:
The Olympian Fields

"It's nearly ready, it's nearly ready" squealed Thalia, bouncing up and down in excitement.

Laughing at the pure joy and innocence of her companion Aphrodite smiled, placing a gentle hand on the young womans shoulder, "Now you don't want to interupt Zeus and Poseiden whilst they put the final touches in place do you, and look, there's Ares leading one of the Minotaurs they’re going to use in the games."

Thalia turned to look, her movements graceful and exquisitly beautiful as she strained to see where Aphrodite pointed. "He doesn't look very happy does he" the girl murmured staring at the war Gods dark demeanour and mud splattered apearance.

"Well dear he's had a difficult few hours" Aphrodite replied whilst they both continued to watch Ares struggle across the field, alternating between pulling the stubborn beast then switching to pushing it when it refused to be manhandled through a particularly thorny stretch of gorse. "Oh dear, perhaps I should go down and help him" murmured Aphrodite when the beast struck him a particularly vicious kick of annoyance in an area the Goddess hoped hadn't taken too much damage.

As Ares staggered away in agony the two women heard a new voice pipe up "here cowy wowy, here my beauty, come to daddy come to daddy." And the two women stood in shock as the Master Smith appeared from behind a bush and proceeded to place a gentling hand on the now docile Minotaurs head which simply stood there silently doing nothing more than slightly quiver.

"Come let us leave quickly" whispered Aphrodite, "I care not to meet my husband just now" and silently the two women departed the strange scene.

Once they'd put some distance behind them Thalia broke the silence, "So when are the mortals going to arrive and when will the games begin?"

"Oh not for a while yet I think. First all the Minotaurs need to be rounded up and then the ward put firmly in place. After that I'm sure the invites will go out to the eleven heroes to attend the games. Oh my dear, the Olympics are going to be so much fun in this new world, why Ares has even boasted that he’ll take a bout against the games Champion. Won't that be something" and the Goddess's chest heaved with a sigh.

"Has Zeus decided what to call the games field yet?" Thalia asked "It's such a splendid sight and it stretches so far and wide, I can only imagine the competitions in store for the heroes. Still, I can't help thinking some of the mortals that lived here before might be a bit upset at all the changes."

"Oh you shouldn't worry about them dear, they are only mortals after all. I did hear Dionysus suggest calling the games site the Fields of Gold. He said he'd personally cover them in gold if Zeus liked. I think he was joking but it's hard to tell sometimes when he's in the cup, I mean look what he's done to Alexandria and the effects over there are still spreading. Midas seems quite pleased of course but I can't help thinking his neighbours will soon be getting jealous ... You’d think Midas had learnt from the last time that the good times won’t last forever and there will be consequences to pay."

Thalia though was more interested in the new games than affairs of state and continued pressing Aphrodite for details. “So the heroes are going to battle the Minotaurs you think?” she asked.

“So it seems. I heard Apollo and Zeus discussing the details but I wasn’t really listening. They’re planning some big spectacular that’s for sure, the crowning event of the games they said. I would have stayed to hear more but a more pressing matter came up” and she sighed once more glancing in the direction Ares had departed.

“Anyway” she continued, “you and your sisters will have prime seats by my side when the games commence. Mark my words my dear, you’ll dazzle those heroes before we're done!”