• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Temple Blessings from 1484

And so it was that the mortals raised great temples to the glory of the Gods and called down their blessings. For now they asked for blessings upon their people, bountiful harvests and children born free from desease, for strong leaders and wealth for their people.

Hector called the blessings of Zeus and Apollo upon two heroes, Paris and Astyanax, descendants of the royal line named for those who had fallen. Leonidas also called for Athena’s blessing upon Polynikes, a champion of Sparta and the means to strengthen Sparta’s military might.

In Rome and all along the Italian shores the merchants were blessed with bountiful trade coming from the Trojian trading center whilst Hermes also blessed his followers with abundant gold and jewels from other sources too, earning Rome the monikor of the Golden Kingdom.

In the west Pelops continued to call for items of power from his Patron Hephaestus to replace those he had lost in Ithaca, and Hephaestus bestowed upon him a Helm of Wisdom to better help him rule his people. His neighbours Bellerophon having temples to Athena and Poseiden both blessed his realm and cursed his eastern neighbour bringing the power of the sea upon Carthaginian coastal settlements (-1 stab).

In all the Gods were pleased with the first 65 years of settlement in this new world. Their names were being spread far and wide and the people honoured them. Even Odysseus seemed to have been forgiven by all but Hera, and Hera would no doubt be distracted by another in time. Now it seemed the Gods wanted a bit of fun!

Phrygia - Tides of Darkness

Midas stared over the river Styx and thought about his dead. Orion slayed him and took thus personal revenge. Nothing wrong with that, a man deserves his revenge. Midas could understand that, but the way how Orion took his revenge filled him with hatred.

Ah, the future looked bright for Phrygia. It started with Midas joining the crusade against the dishonourable Odysseus and helping the Gods to cast their vengeance upon him.
The battles were glorious and Odysseus was a worthy foe. 45,000 Phrygian soldiers marched to Ithaca and only 15,000 returned. Sadly enough, some of the participants were filled by territorial greed. The country of Pelops, who died the moment he participated in a battle, took a province for their small effort. Others were greedy too, but the most notorious bugger of them all was of course Orion.
Orion who did nothing in the war, but watch the Phrygian troops do the hard work, demanded and received three provinces from Ithaca.
And proud Ithaca was reduced to a mere minor.
And proud Troy received the status of a great nation, with their four magnificous temples, their formidable army and navy and their vast territorial seize.
And the Gods? Did they recognize the noble deeds of Midas and Perseus, who fought valiantly for no demands?
No. Hera, the thorn in the side of mighty Zeus, choosed to reward Pelops, because of the vast distances he travelled. Perhaps Hera thought she was Hermes in a moment of confusion?
Midas would gladly invite Hera to travel from the deserts of Egypt through hostile Phoenicia, all the way over the roof of the world, the Caucasus, to Ithaca and ask her to judge again.
But Midas was wise and did not even whisper about the unjustice done.

And proud Troy, the mightiest of all nations, choosed to protect Phoenicia.
Choosed to protect Orion the coward, the dishonourable one. Soon the world would recognize his true identity, but not before Phoenicia would prey on Phrygia.

Phrygia could do nothing against the enemy in the east. Midas knew Orion would attack the moment Phrygia was occupied elsewhere, while Phoenicia itself was always safe in the armpits of Troy. So, when Atlantis was under attack by Carthago and the Peloponnesus, Phrygia could not respond to their calls for help, and Atlantis was defeated.
And with sorrow in his heart Midas noticed the fall of Atlantis.
And when humbled Bellerophon asked Midas if Phrygia would help in the future, Midas responded with a nod.

Phoenicia would strike him in the back, but the alternative was the downfall of Atlantis and that could not be tolerated.

But Phrygia was not without friends. Mighty Theseus honoured Midas with a visit and immediately showed his braveness by charging a rebellious force in Delta, together with Midas.
After a few days, days in which Midas and Theseus enjoyed luxurous meals with the finest Phrygian wine, Midas and Theseus became friends.
They went hunting and the locals would swear Midas and Theseus were better hunters then Orion and Artemis.

All good things must end and so did this visit. Midas gave Theseus a mighty elephant and wished him a good journey back to Gaul.
Later Theseus told Midas he challenged the thief Autolycus in a battle and was almost victorious. It was a noble challenge and the battle was food for legends and myths.

A plan was made. Midas would challenge Orion to a noble duel. They would meet on the battlefield at equal odds and Midas would defeat Orion in a glorious battle.
The challenge was send. And the Gods witnessed Orion declining the challenge. Mighty Hector frowned in disgust when he heard about it, but he did not remove his protection of Phoenicia.

The plan failed. Orion was too cowardly to accept the callenge, or too cunning.
And soon Phrygia was forced to answer the Atlantean cries for help when they came once again under attack.
The Phrygian troops marched along the coast of North Africa, all the way to Carthago. And it was at the battlefields for the walls of Carthago that they were defeated by the legions of Perseus.
Carthago has a formidable army and other countries would recognize the prowess of it soon.
The Phrygian soldiers began marching back to their homeland. Thousands died during the travel.
And when Midas crossed the border he was greeted by Phoenician troops who timed their attack very well. The remaining Phrygian soldiers were slaughtered by Phoenicia.
Once again Orion let others do the hard work and once again he was about to reap from it fully.

And now Midas was in dark Hades. But when he once again stared over the river Styx, he noticed Charon inviting him to embark.

It was time to return to the world of the living. It was time to again take the leadership of Phrygia on his shoulders. It was time to meet his destiny.

It was time to defeat Phoenicia.

Last edited:
If the point is sharp, and the arrow is swift, it can pierce through the dust no matter how thick.
Bob Dylan

So I returned once again to Phoenicia, and what I saw was not as bad as my worst fears, but it was still pretty bad. The economy was in shambles, many loans had been taken. The army was nonexistant, only the Temple Guard remained, and the southern territories were taken by greedy Midas. And so I faced a challenge to get Phoenicia back on her feet.

With great hardship, most loans were payed off in their first term, and the last was payed after one extension. At the same time, the Phoenician army had to be built up for the inevitable expedition to punish scheming Odysseus for his hubris. It took several years of campaigning before scheming Odysseus could be brought to justice. Phoenicia received a generous share of the spoils, for which I am grateful, and the country with me. After the war, I personally led the army to help restore order in New Ithaca, lest some tyrant take power for himself. As order was restored, I quicklymy army back south, as greedy Midas tried to press Phoenicia into acceptance of his conquests of Phoenician land. Naturally, this could not stand, and a wary peace followed.

However, many did not believe it would remain peaceful, and they settled in areas they hoped would be spared the devastations of war. Cyprus, being an island, and Armenia, deep in the Caucasian mountains, were the most popular destinations.

All the while, greedy Midas continued to try and secure his unlawful occupation of Samaria and Jordan, offering a treaty that would fix the borders as they were at that time- effectively meaning that Phoenicia would give up trying to liberate the oppresed people of Samaria and Jordan.

He even went as far as offering a "duel between men of honour", naturally, Orion could not accept such a ridiculous duel while his subjects were suffering at the hand of the Phrygian government.

Greedy Midas then made the mistake of wanting to add even more lands to Phrygia, to subdue more free people. He turned towards Carthage. I knew I would have to act now if ever the people of Samaria and Jordan were to be liberated, and I did. Token Phrygian resistance was swiftly broken, and on the plains of Alexandria, I headed forty thousand of the finest Phoenician horsemen, and we managed to intercept Midas and his army. They were slain to the man, none surrendering.

And now some men think they can decide what is hubris, and allthough I am sure they cannot, they still command too many men to ignore them safely, and I prefer to spare my people another war. And so, a generous treaty has been offered to greedy Midas, a treaty which he grudgingly accepted. I know, though, that I will have to remain vigilant and offer whatever protection I can to the people of Jordan.

But the future looks far more bright to Phoenicia now than it did three decades ago. I have set some of Phoenicia's best cartographers and scholars to solve the riddles of the Gods. And hopefully we can finally build the great temples designed by our architects. It is high time that more temples are built to better honour the Gods.

Regarding Power, or how the policies of Theseus were altered

The Stranger

t was a dark and stormy night. It was raining and thundering more than in the worst story cliches one could imagine. Theseus was sitting in the lounge of his castle, when he heard a banging from his door. Theseus stood up and went to open the door. A tall figure wearing a cloak that hid most of his face stood there.

Let me in, for I need to speak with you", the stranger said.

And who may you be, stranger?", the hero replied.

"My name does not matter. My knowledge does. In these dark times Gaul needs me. Come, we must talk."

Theseus looked at the man suspiciously, a complete stranger walking in refusing to answer questions? "Very well, get on with it then, if you weren't aware yet, I am a busy man. What is so important?"

"There is a new danger rising in the east", the stranger replied, and walked to the lounge table, pulling up a pergament. This was a map covering all of the known Mediterranean. "The foreign policies of Gaul are plunging you to doom, Theseus. I have come to offer my help".

Mediterranean.PNG

"Look at the picture of Gaul. Do you see what is wrong?", the stranger asked in a sharp voice.

"Well, no. We lack ports, but the rest seems allright."

"Bearn here, Gerona here, are previous territory of Peloponnesos. Lombardia here, and Liguria here have been your territory, but now belong to Rome. That is part of what is wrong."

The stranger leaned forward, allowing Theseus to see a glimpse of his face from underneath the cloak. The face was full of scars, and the eyes had a witty, powerful but yet somehow evil stare in them.

"Pelops will want his territory back, yet Autolycus is also not content yet, for he wants to border the unknown lands. What do you think he will do, who will he go against, no doubt when they are in bad trouble themselves? Gaul or Sparta?"

whatwillromedo.PNG

"You have been a fool and can trust neither Pelops nor Autolycus for these reasons. And at this very moment, you need the trust, for a new, more grave danger is rising."

The Monster in the East

"A graver Danger? Pelops is stuck fighting Bellerophon, and Leonidas seems to want to kill Autolycus. I think I am very safe here.", said Theseus confidently.

"What you do not know yet is that Bellerophon and Pelops are negotiating peace in secret. Your position will become very slippery soon. While I trust you could repel the attacks of Pelops with the help of Leonidas guarding your back against Autolycus, you can not afford to fight that war", said the stranger, now revealing more of his face from underneath the cloak. There was something odd with his looks, his neck seemed slightly twisted, making his head tilt to the right. This was very uncomfortable to look at, but made the man somehow more convincing.

"What? Peace between Bellerophon and Pelops? Impossible! They have been fighting for allmost the entire time we are here! Besides, how would you know?" Then Theseus reconsidered, he was king afterall: "Why could I not afford it?"

The stranger pointed his finger to Troy on the map. "Because of THIS!" He raised his voice in a dramatical way. Theseus shuddered, even if the tone became slightly comical, in an unintentional way of course.

"You need to make peace with all your neighbours immediately. Even if that means making concessions towards Pelops."

"With all? Surely, Troy is far enough away to allow me to take Lombardia and Liguria again from the Romans?"

"Face it Theseus. You are a hero, not a god nor do you possess even the slightest understanding of how the Gods view the world. While you are brave and good in the ways of war, you need to accept that you are but a child in the grand scheme of things."

"Yes, but what is it about Troy, that gives you the right to insult me?" Theseus looked at this stranger again, still thinking wether he could trust him or not.

"I will explain it to you in a moment. But first, I've heard you Gauls make surprisingly good wine. Do you have some here?"

What arrogance, Theseus thought. Walk in here and ask for wine. "Yes, I have. And since I know my classics, I suppose it is best to give you some, in case you are Zeus in disguise." Theseus clapped in his hands, and a servant filled a glass for him and his strange visitor.

The stranger sipped the wine, and muttered something inaudible in acceptance. The wine was good indeed.

"The gods are vain, Theseus. They are truly vain. They want temples to be rised for them, they want the worship and against it, they give power. The power they give is huge. You can't even imagine how great it is."

"Yes, I know the Gods are powerfull, get to the point or get out of my castle, your choice." Theseus was most definately getting irritated by this arrogant intruder, but still, he was curious to hear what stories the stranger was going to tell him.

"What you do not know, is that the gods will grant knowledge of rich territories unknown to anyone that worships them enough, rising temple after temple to them. Fickle are their ways." The strangers face did not display the slightest of emotion when he spoke. "How many temples ave you raised to the gods? One? Two? Oh, two it is then. A nice mediocre devotion then. But you need to raise many more in order to get to know this hidden rich lands. And that is why, Theseus, that is why you can not afford to fight a war now."

Theseus listened silent. Maybe the man really knew something he didn't.

"Remember Odysseus? He who rose in Hubris, killed Medea and then got crusaded against?"

"Yes, I do. But I have not fallen from the ways of the Gods, and in time I will build more temples, war or no war", replied Theseus.

"There were several heroes participating in the operation to punish Odysseus. Pelops, Perseus, Leonidas, Hector, Orion and Midas all marched to New Ithaca. Now think about what happened to them.

"Pelops died, got a worthless peace of land far away, sold it away. You took his lands then. Perseus was killed too, poor fellow. Leonidas and his son Pleistharkos fought with great numbers and the Spartans lost their king, but they won the war to the alliance".

Theseus nodded his head in agreement while the stranger went on.

"Orion and Midas also fought there, but they were latecomers and careful." The strangers voice got more intriguing bit by bit. There was something odd with his eye, Theseus noticed. He didn't blink.

"The suffering was divided by all the heroes marching to Ithaca. Now look at who got the benefits", The stranger continued.

"Pelops won a worthless piece of land, so got the Spartans. Midas and Perseus gained nothing."

"Orion took these three provinces here, here, and here", the stranger pointed to the map.

oriongains.PNG

A short lesson in deception, manipulation and power

"Do you now see what I meant by Troy?", the stranger finished with a question.

"Yes, Troy took much. But was that not the will of the Gods? Why would I oppose it?", replied Theseus.

"Ahh, but here you do not see the problem here. Troy indeed took much. I bet most of the heroes don't understand how much he took. He took the richest provinces of ex-Medea, and as such he now controls four temples, and two lucrative centres of trade."

Troygains.PNG

"In an instant, he became the strongest and richest in terms of economy, military and his standing with gods. And for what price? He had 6 allies in that war of his. They came to Ithaca to fight Odysseus, not to enrich Hector. And yet nobody seems to notice."

"Yes, indeed he is strong. But he has no chance to ever get here, he would have to destroy Hercules and Leonidas, and likely Autolycus too, before then."

"Don't underestimate the power of gods, Theseus! With his economy and the amount of temples he has dedicated to gods, the gods will come here to smite you if he only asks. That is such power nobody can fight against!"

"The monster in the east will soon awaken. Look how he got into his position, Theseus." The stranger now pointed to provinces here and there in quick succession. "Here he gave up territory to Hercules, and here too. And by doing this, the Evil Genius managed to get a defensible border to his west, the sympathies of his eastern neighbour and generally everybody elses, too. Think about it. Who will want to hurt him? Not a single neighbour of his."

"For his neighbours are concentrated in other issues. Here, Hercules is happy with the natural border and views towards Sparta with his greedy eyes. And yet, he owns only a single temple himself. The fool."

"Here, Phoenicia. Bought by Troy with territory of Medea/Ithaca. A schoolbook example of masterful deception. Orion received three provinces with relatively little effort. In fact, so little effort that everyone took notice. Thus, everyone looks at Orion, not Hector. And yet, Hector gained much much much more! In addtition of this, Hector supports Orion against Midas. This is only to ensure that there would be an unfair peace between those two heroes, so that the conflict would go on and on and on."

Theseus listened to the man carefully, still a bit suspicious.

"Finally, here. Odysseus. He is nothing but a wreck now, travesty of a nation. He was forced to give Hector access to the unknown lands, and he is weak enough to be destroyed by a whim of Hectors."

"Oh, you do know it's only Midas complaining about Orion because they are neighbours, Hercules and Leonidas have signed peace, or so I've heard. Surely, that means Troy can't come here. What matters it to me if he can dominate the east, so long as he can't go west?" What a weird man, thought Theseus, each and every King in the west had long since concluded their neighbours were much more dangerous than some threat from the east.

"You still don't see. Troy has now gained the critical step towards controlling enough temples to make him an unstoppable force. With his economy, it is an easy task for him to build one or two more, and then he gains access to the lands Gods promised to the most devoted, decades before anyone else! Especially his neighbours are all so weak in terms of their relations with gods, that they will never become competitors of his in the promised lands!"

The stranger sounded agitated now. He clearly admired the cunning of Hector, and was furiously trying to make Theseus to realise this, too.

"He will pose no threat to anyone now. He will stay quiet and wear his mask of deception, knowing that he is now too strong for anyone to attack him. He will let the others to fight and waste their resources, he will support them in secret, perhaps even both parties, while he colonizes the promised lands nobody else can get to."

The Conclusion

"And thus, nobody will stand against him, and within a century, Hector is too strong for anyone, and hes wish will be your command, too. That is, if you keep fighting silly wars", the stranger finished with a sarcastic tone, which was lost on Theseus.

"Silly wars? Not at all. Besides, how could Troy ever become strong enough to defeat us all? Surely, the Gods will still favour their chosen champion over Hector, and thus deny him the chance to defeat us?", the king argued.

"Wait and see, wait and see. Do nothing if you choose so. But be aware, every war you fight, costs you what a temple will. You too can get the power to colonise these promised lands, but that can only happen if you build up in peace. War will now be your doom, Theseus. You are not strong enough, nor will the gods let you, to get a single temple from your neighbours. The gods favor the strong, if they proceed by honour, Theseus. And as Hector has proved, even the gods can be deceived."

"Hmm, very well. If these promised lands are granted to me, that would indeed be nice. What do you suggest I do, again?"

"Send messages to your neighbours. Make peace with Pelops, at any cost." The stranger then pointed towards Sardinia on the map. "And take care of this before Hector is too strong, for he can use it to dominate all of the west." Then he stood up, finished his wine with one gulp, and turned around. "We will meet again Theseus! Do not fail Gaul, do not fail yourself!"

Theseus looked on in astonishment as the man left. Was he a messenger from Hades? Still, he would send a messenger to Pelops, perhaps a deal could be struck. And he would need to chat with others, too.

That night, a lot of messengers left Provence for secret missions.

The Atlantic Chronicles:
Chapter II

After the successes accounted for in Chapter I, Bellerophon was in a good mood. He felt his victories, however, were only because of his own abilities. He grew proud in his victory, and felt undefeatable. He looked down upon Pelops and Perseus, who futilely sent soldiers to aid the crusade to Ithaca. Surely they knew that they were helpless, and reinforcements were too far away. Bellerophon instead focused his resources on advancing his realm peaceably. He desired nothing but peace (and a few other things).

Bellerophon’s alliance with Theseus would prove problematic, though. After the few Peloponnesian soldiers returned home from Ithaca, where Pelops had fallen to Odysseus’ dark hordes, Theseus took advantage of the situation and quickly invaded. Bellerophon, and honorable man, was bound by his alliance and forced to heed the call.

Very quickly Gallic and Atlantean forces spilt over into Peloponnesus, overrunning the sparse defenses and quickly occupying the entire land. Pelops’ regent was forced to give in, ceding two provinces to Gaul. Bellerophon hoped Pelops would accept a peaceful border with Atlantis, but later it would be seen that was wishful thinking.

Not long after the war, Theseus cancelled his alliance with Bellerophon. Bellerophon thought little of such an act, as Pelops was crushed and Perseus incapable of threatening Atlantis alone or with Pelops; aid. Soon thereafter, Carthage and Peloponnesus also annulled their alliance.

Shortly thereafter, the Carthaginians declared war on Atlantis.

Bellerophon was greatly enraged. He had been saving up the treasury to build a great temple to Athena, but now he was forced to spend it on war! The Carthaginians would pay for such an insult. His army had not quite been built up since the casualties of war – most of the treasury was spent on a grand cavalry replacement project, after which his army numbered no less that 50,000* horsemen.

Leading his great cavalry army, he quickly stormed across the desert, easily defeating the leaderless armies thrown at him. Perseus himself had been slain by Odysseus, of course. Before long, Africa was overrun, and Bellerophon split his army to besiege the entire coast. It appeared that he had won.

Peloponnesus, however, was discontent with its lower lot, and taking advantage of Theseus leaving Atlantis’ alliance, it demanded Atlantis white peace Carthage. Bellerophon refused. Peloponnesian soldiers again crossed into Atlantean Iberia.

But this time they were not fought. Bellerophon’s entire force was occupied in Africa. He believed he could force Carthage to cede Toubkal, and then turn to face the flanking Peloponnesians. It was the reverse of his strategy in the previous war, and would turn horribly.
All this time, Bellerophon had forgotten about Carthage’s possessions in Sicily. His navy, though slightly larger than Carthage’s, could not overcome the disadvantage of fighting in unfamiliar waters. So the Carthaginian navy had free reign in the east, but what did it matter anyway?

Much. After the majority of Africa had fallen to Atlantis, including Carthage itself, a surprise force of 35,000 Carthaginian noblemen landed from Sicily in Tripoli, defeating 15,000 Atlanteans besieging the city. Utilizing the element of surprise, small besieging forces would continue to fall, and before long Bellerophon himself was cut down as he fled, attempting to regroup his armies.

This Carthaginian turn-around, coupled with all of Atlantean Iberia being occupied or covered by this time by Pelops’ troops, forced Atlantis to accept a humiliating peace. Toledo was ceded back to Peloponnesus, and Fez to Carthage.

One question remained throughout this war – where was Theseus? Atlantis repeatedly asked Gaul to step in and curb the opportunistic actions of Peloponnesus, but Theseus refused. Why? Surely he realized a powerful Pelops was not in his interest. Bellerophon had been nothing but a stout, loyal ally – despite accepting a disappointing peace in their first war, he had quickly made it up to Theseus despite not wanting to do so. But Theseus was cold to him, as cold as the dead god he worshiped…

And so Bellerophon had no choice but to extend an offer to Pelops: an offer of alliance, an offer of friendship. An offer to forget their war-torn past and work together for the strengthening of both their nations. Somehow, Pelops saw the light. The Iberian Alliance was born, and would bring light to the West. Nothing but good was in the future…right?

*numbers are generalizations and not exact figures. Inaccurate guesses at best.

A Very Short Tale Of Heroism

The messengers had been sent. The alliances had been forged. Everything was ready, and at the blow of my horn I would start the crusade to bring Troy down.

But wait! A new rumor came from the north. Monsters! There were monsters, and new land for colonization! I let the situation divert me slightly. For slaying Minotaurs is kind of expected from me, I readied a huge army to fight the all-powerful Minotaur King that ruled the newly discovered island in the north. I also sent some of my people to colonise the still empty province of Cornwall.

And soon, I had landed on this new island with my main force. A declaration of war was handed to the minotaurs, and within days, the Minotaur kings army was spotted. The king lead his army of 4 thousand, where I commanded an army of 27 thousand, mostly cavalry. The battlefield would be plains.

Once again, the familiar call "Chaaaaaarge!" echoed over the ranks of the gaelic warriors, and we fell upon the enemy.

Unfortunately, at this point I fell from my horse and broke my neck.

Bugger.

Aeneas, the Good Regent

The crowd was silent. Only a childs sobbing could be heard. The ship with black sails was now docking in the usually so lively harbour of Provence.

The man sat by the tavern corner table, looking at the harbour. His scarred face was covered by a dark cloak, revealing nothing even when he took a sip from his wine. The burning stare of his eye could have pierced a hole in the side of the galley. "You hammer. That didn't go as it was supposed to, did it? You donkey. I bet you are too dumb to find your way out of Hades even with a Roman way and signposts helping you", the man silently cursed the fallen king. There was more sadness than mockery in his tone, for he knew what would happen next.

Those fools in Theseus' court would fight over influence, and the strongest would then become the Regent, while waiting for Theseus to bribe his way out from the house of Hades. The donkey would need decades for that, and meanwhile Gaul would become an utter ruin.

He knew the type of men who now fought for the regent title in the court. They were stupid lads who would bring utter ruin to the country, mainly using their power to impress ladies. They would lose the war, and give up the recently colonised Cornwall to the enemy. They would then cook up all those silly world-changing plans and probably give away Provence itself in order to get goodwill to colonise a sheep province somewhere in Absurdistan. They would then spend the state budget in a giant orgy in praise of Aphrodite and Dionysus. Sadly, that would be the smartest thing they would do.

The man took another sip from his wine. He was not happy, for there were more important things for him to do. With Theseus still in helm, things would still work out for he would whack the Minotaurs himself. Alas, he is not, and now the country has to be saved from certain doom. It is time to act.

The man finished his wine, left a copper coin on the table and rose up. He walked out on the street. The people were now mourning in public. The women were weeping and screaming, the men stood still with tears in their eyes. He shook his head, still in disbelief, and continued on his way directly to the palace.

"Take me to whoever will be the regent!" He commanded the guards. There was such authority in his voice that the Guard Sergeant escorted him personally to the newly selected regent, asking no further questions.

The new Regent was an approximately 45 years old, obese man. Despite his gaelic blood, he was known by the name Aeneas. Not a humble name, and that might have helped him in gaining power.

"Who are you and how dare you to disturb me in this moment of grief?" Aeneas shouted, clearly annoyed because of the unexpected visitor.

"I have come to aid you as I aided the King in his moments of need. My knowledge is essential for the good of Gaul", the stranger replied.

"How dare you to not answer my question, stranger? I asked who you are and you shall tell it!"

"Silence, peon! My ancestry is too terrible for you to know, my power is too great for you to understand! You will do what I say for the good of Gaul and for your own good! I will help you make Gaul prosper, and maybe you will be spared of Theseus' wrath when he returns. Maybe he will even praise you. Without me neither Gaul nor you has any hope, for you are waste of space on the throne, know that!"

The sheer authority of the strangers voice made Aeneas shudder. Nobody had ever spoken to him with such obvious power and superiority in his voice. He did not dare to check the strangers bluff. And it made such sense after all, if the man spoke the truth, he could benefit from his knowledge. If he turned out to be a madman, well, it is not so hard to arrange assassinations.

"I will do what you say", replied Aeneas, with no defiance left in his voice.

"Good regent."

The Ruling of the Gods​

And the Gods looked down and saw all the French coast revealed to the Greeks. "This was not intended" boomed great Zeus "for there are secrets within the greater realm of France that the mortals are not ready for yet!"

"But what to do, what to do" stammered Hephaestus wringing his hands, "they've started to colonise those lands now. I mean look at the north shore, Autolycus has built those lands up into cities. Poseiden could help with the west coast, they're only minor settlements there, less than 100 people, but the rest, oh my!"

"This is your fault!" shouted Zeus, pointing at Hermes. "The Minotours were your charge and you let them sail throughout the northern lands!"

"Hey now hold a minute father, Poseiden was just as bad with the Harpies and besides, the seas are his domain not mine."

"Now boys, blaming each other isn't going to help, what we need now is a solution."

"Aye Athena you're right as usual, a solution, and can I assume you have one?"

"Of course. Hephaestos already hinted at the path. Have Poseiden scurry up a storm along the western coast, that will deal with Gaul. As for Autolycus, let Hermes deal with them. I'm sure he can transport them elsewhere, somewhere that might just teach his wayward son a lesson ... you get my drift Hermes?" and the messenger of the Gods nodded thoughtfully.

"And the Harpies?" asked Zeus.

"Oh the Harpies I think we can leave alone. No real harm done there and besides the mortals have still to complete the game. I wonder which of the heroes will best Poseidens creatures now."

And so the Gods passed judgement yet all were not pleased with the results. Hades brooded in his dark lair and Hermes pulled his hair out regarding what to do with his errant knave. Oh yes he must be punished and pay restitution to his father, that would gall the lad, but the settlements, how could he fulfil Athena's ruling? And then he had an idea and went off to talk to Hades.

The storms bombarded the coast and the mists descended once more across the forgotten lands. Poseiden rose above the sea yet could find no victims and his roar of anger blasted across the ocean. In the mountains of Bern and other isolated lands men and women awoke to a new dawn and smelt not the sea but the mountain air and forest musk.

Hermes chuckled as he imagined Autolycus' reaction when he found his people stuck in Bearn, Wurtemburg and Auvergne. Let him suck on that and think twice about annoying his father again. And as for Gaul, well Hermes had transported his people to the destinations Hades chose. Hades had not forsaken his hero and was rather pleased actually with his performance so far and so sought to save the Gaul's from Poseidens wrath by denying Poseiden a single death. Hades could be patient, they would all come to him in the end.

The western coast of France was returned to the mists and Gaulish outposts sprang up on north-western Spain, Central England and Scotland. Only Calais remained, an isolated outpost on the north coast.

The Gods were pleased. Well at least mostly.

Zeus was not pleased though, not pleased at all with Heracles. "The lad has abandoned us" he wailed. Then in a more steely voice "The boy has abandoned the Gods." And all knew Heracles was in serious trouble from Zeus.

"And what of Autolycus great Zeus" called out Aphrodite seeing a chance to gain her revenge over one of Hermes servants at last, "he too would appear to have forsaken the Gods, stopped honouring our altars. Oh not as badly as Heracles I know, but surely he will be punished too?" and she smiled winsomely up at the father of the Gods.

"Aye Autolycus will be punished too."

[OOC: Heracles can not cast spells from Zeus’s spell tree until he regains Zeus’s standing, and Autolycus has the same problem with Hermes. Rome will suffer +2 RR now until he can placate the Gods (1 vp per RR), likewise Bellerophon will suffer +1 RR for being at –1 vp’s. Heracles will suffer +6 RR (but it will cost double to reduced his RR at 1 RR per 2 vp’s once vp’s are positive). Odysseus will be familiar with the type of event opportunities Heracles is likely to also get on top of this :D. It really isn’t a good idea to not honour the Gods folks ;)]

Theseus returns - again

Dying, such a bad habit

It took Theseus 21 long years to find his way back from the underworld. During those years, he meditated, seeked the wisdom of dead philosophists, and Hades himself tried to teach him something about self-preservation, "For it was what he seemed to lack", as the Deity had said.

Alas, none of this helped much, and Theseus left the realm of his Master as green as ever. Indeed, he had even forgotten much that he had learned when he last time walked among the mortal men.

The return to Provence was a happy moment. The people danced on the streets and sung songs in praise of the returning king. Theseus greeted his subjects, and walked towards the palace. There he would meet the regent. He had heard the name already - Aeneas. The man seemed to be blessed by gods, for he had apparently built Gaul truly strong.

"Well, we will see that", thought Theseus when entering the palace.

What's Up, Doc?

Theseus greeted Aeneas. The man was now 67 years old, they said. But he looked much older than that. He was no more fat, but had shrunk in size to be thin as a papyrus leaf. No longer had he the energy Theseus remembered him from. Instead, his voice was weak and tired, he seemed very distant and there was some kind of constant terror in his eyes. As if he was not afraid of Theseus but life in general. How could the best gaelic Regent ever end up as a wreck like him? This was beyond Theseus.

"So, what has happened while I have been away?", the King asked.

"I am too weak to speak for long, my King", Aeneas answered. "But the whole story is in the chronicles of Gaul. See this book."

Theseus picked up the book, and opened it. No pictures. Damn, he would need a map to understand it better. "Nice, he had put down the dates as years I have been away. This makes it more sensible", the King noticed when browsing through the first page.

The Journal of Aeneas

Foreword

The King is dead! Oh the horror! The ship arrived yesterday with the news. I took control over the Throne, to act as regent, for I feel that is my task. Yet somehow, I'm scared. There are mysterious forces in work here, I do not feel my position to be secure. I cannot speak of it now, but there is something sinister going on.

I try to describe in this journal the events in all the known world during my reign. May they bring glory to Gaul!

Year 1:

After the Great King Theseus departed, war seemed to rage everywhere. Based on the Canaries, a mysterious monster race of Harpies ravaged Atlantis. They seem to invade Atlantian lands, and trade aggressively. Who knows what that will lead to.

We have been more lucky. The new land is mostly plains, and from our newly colonised base in Cornwall we have managed to fight against the minotaur hordes. Even against their superior weaponry, our cavalry wins the day often enough. The Minotaur King has been slain, but alas, right now I only want peace with them, for there is a more important task I need to do.

The other powers who managed to get a foothold in Newland were Ithaca and Carthage. They do not help in the war. All the other 6 provinces seem to be colonised by the Minotaurs, and their colonisation continues.

Year 2:

The war against Minotaurs still wages on. For some reason, they seem to demand always more money than I have in my coffers. No loans will be taken to peace out from this war. Gaul fights on! Minotaurs have found their way to Gaul. I have ordered an army to stop their landings in Bearn, but they seem to have found another way to my territory, through some unknown lands. They have looted Gerona and Bearn. We will stand firm.

Year 3:

A peace was finally signed with the Minotaurs. We gained the poor province of Lincoln in the peace, for they were getting more war-weary than us. Or not really, but the monsters lack strategic skills - they could have isolated our troops in Newland - but they didn't. So we could hold on and inflict more and more damage on them.

Atlantis still fights the Harpies. No solution to that war seems to be coming up.

I have started to see nightmares every night. In them, He laughs at me.

Year 5:

In the east, Leonidas of Sparta, Odysseus of Ithaca and Hercules of Mycenea are fighting against another race of monsters, known as the Cyclopes. Hector, the evil one, seems to be quiet. No doubt letting the others bleed, to only intervene in the last minute to get all the gains. In a bizarre turn of events, Odysseus declared war on Hercules, too. Apparently he wants all the Cyclopes for himself.

Pelops of Peloponnesos joined the side of Bellerophon of Atlantis, to kick the Harpyia invaders back to the sea. I hope they win against these vile beasts. Meanwhile, I am honouring the deal with Pelops, and he is now taking over Gerona. Half of the money has been received already.

Year 6:

I joined the war against the Cyclopes with Autolycus. We are now a triple alliance, Rome, Gaul and Sparta. All shall fear us. We will help Leonidas first in this operation, then we can finally go and defeat Hector the sly. Midas of Phrygia and Orion of Phoenicia are quarreling over some debt Midas apparently should pay to Orion.

Year 7:

Looks like Leonidas doesn't really need any help against the Cyclops. Gaul warriors roam around there anyway. Hercules seems to be taking over the sieges. He burned a trade post of the Minotaurs for Sparta to colonise, apparently as payment for the help. I wonder why he seems so eager to get all of the Cyclopes territory.

Orion seems to be directly threatening Midas with war now.

I have troubles sleeping at nights. My body aches, and the nightmares are back. He has been away longer and longer each year, but in the nights He returns to me in dreams. I barely dare to sleep.

Year 8:

Something terrible has happened. Odysseus has travelled to Wessex in Newland, and he is building up a huge load of troops there. No doubt will he attack the Minotaurs, and annex them. The Minotaurs have lost their King, Odysseus indeed has got all the chances to defeat them. That is unfair, that glory should belong to Theseus.

I have consulted Him in dreams and the war against Hector has been postponed. Hector is now less of a threat than Odysseus, for in addition of Odysseus surely going for a full annexation, he is bound to get lucrative map knowledge from the monsters. This may not happen!

Oh yes, Hercules annexed the Cyclopes. He is mightily powerful now, but rumors say he has made his father angry in the process. How, i do not know. Surely Zeus should praise his son for slaying monsters. Did Hercules do something devious?

Year 10:

Odysseus attacked the Minotaurs, and after initial setbacks he is advancing. I have cancelled the military access I gave him, and am bringing an army to Newland. Odysseus might have to be stopped by force.

Orion has declared war on Midas! Again? I do not know what this was all about, but apparently the two heroes have very tense relations. I have sent some money to Midas, I'm sure Theseus would appreciate it, for Gaul has been lucky in terms of economics recently. I wish he would return soon, for I can't take this for long.

Year 11:

Atlantis and Peloponnesos are now at peace with the Harpies. How anyone can make peace with such monsters is beyond me.

After Odysseus had destroyed all the armies of the Minotaurs, and covered their lands it became clear that they would indeed annex all of it. Odysseus the Greedy, always going for full conquest, always acting alone!

He could not be allowed to do this, so I declared war on Ithaca, and stormed his base in Wessex. Not much later, Odysseus realized the trouble he was in with such a long supply link and no local recruitment base. He was down to 17 thousand of mixed troops when he made his final, brave but foolish charge against a Gaul cavalry unit of 27 thousand in the plains of Bristol.

The body of Odysseus was never found. Did he cheat dead or did the few Ithacan survivors carry it away. I signed white peace immediately with Odysseus, and proceeded to fight the Minotaurs.

Year 12:

A moment of joy! Roman reinforcements just arrived to fight the Minotaurs by my side! And yes, there are lots of them, not just a meager portion! Autolycus himself leads them into battle, now the Minotaurs are surely doomed!

Year 13:

All the lands of the Minotaurs are sieged again, all their armies are slain! Victory will follow!

Ithacans joined Orions war against Midas, they landed suddenly and killed the friend of the King. Was this a revenge on Gaul? Could be. Well, I hope they can go hunting in the house of Hades. There is another, better prey there now than the beasts of Nile. A beast called Odysseus.

Otherwise, all seems silent.

Year 14:

The Phrygian Regent has made peace with Orion and allied Hector!? Maybe this Hector character is not so evil after all. Ithacans are bound to lose the war now.

On a second thought, it is more likely that Hector is using the poor inexperienced Regent of Phrygia by giving token support, solely to get support from them in his coming day of reckoning!

I am now but a shadow of my former self. The pain is constant.

Year 15:

Ithaca and Phrygia are at peace again. We siege the Minotaurs.

Year 16:

We siege the Minotaurs. I build long trains of cannons now to help the siege. Men are dying from attrition like flies. This is horrible. The rest of the world is at uneasy peace.

Year 18:

Nothing much happens, we siege the minotaurs. A deal to split their territories has been done with Autolycus. Also, Autolycus has told me that the territories revealed by the maps of the monsters are great indeed.

Nothing interresting happens in the rest of the world. I have lost lots of weight. I can't sleep at nights for I fear Him.

Year 20:

The Minotaurs have fallen! The Minotaur territory gets annexed! Gaul is now greater than ever! We also begin the colonisation of the Western Gaul, revealed to us. Bretagne is promised to Leonidas as an outpost, the rest is ours!

Our army is developing well, too. In a year or two the new weapons have been deployed to the troops, and then everyone will fear the might of Gaul!

Yet I feel so weak. It is as if I were paying for the glory of my country with the health of my body. He demands more and more daily. I don't know how long I may go on.

Year 21:

I heard from Him that the Great King is returning. How He knows this is beyond me, but I trust Him, for He has been right on so many occasions.

Theseus closed the book. He smiled a worried smile, for Aeneas was a good man indeed, but why did he look so tormented? And who was this 'He' Aeneas referred to?

"You are a great man, Aeneas, for you have brought Gaul much glory. I will make you my right hand.", the King said.

But the good Aeneas did not reply.

"Aeneas?"

Theseus realized that the man was dead. He felt tears in his eyes.

Outside, the seas were restless, and thunderstorms seemed to gather over the skies of western Gaul. It was as if even the Gods were mourning this great man.

The funeral of Pleistarkhos, the hero, was beautiful in its simplicity. There was no big parade organised, but people came in thousands to follow the seremony. They saw Polynikes, grandson of Pleistarkhos, stand silently by the body of Pleistarkhos. They saw Leonidas step up, and hold a short speech.

"I have been in the lands of Hades. There is no joy there, but neither is there sorrow. There is no pleasure there, but neither is there pain. In the lands of Hades we all can rest in peace."

"My son led the people of Sparta through difficult times. He was a great man. He was my son. I am grateful we could have a few moments together after my return, after which he left to whence I had just come from.

"Farewell, my son."

---

Leonidas had organised a triumvirate to solve the problems in the east. The triumvirate would help Hercules, the champion of Zeus, wether he did want it or not. Leonidas hoped Odysseus too would be able to make himself a worthwile champion again. Getting Theseus of the Gauls to join the triumvirate was not difficult, all he needed was a reassurance that Autolycos wouldn't attack him. Autolycos wanted a reassurance that Theseus would not attack his back. Leonidas promised them both this, and the plans began to take form. Leonidas asked Autolycos the fleetfooted to call the alliance together, Leonidas would negotiate with Hercules for their part in the operation. The triumvirate hoped to get the assistance of the enormous Mycenean fleet, and at the minimum they would need access through Mycenean lands.

However, then the monsters emerged. Lands of Britain were revealed. The heroes rushed to send colonists to England. Leonidas did not want to send any settlers so far, he was certain it would lead to unnecessary conflict.

Soon after Leonidas recieved word that Theseus had declared war on the Minotaurs, who did live on the island of Britain. Worse, soon after Theseus had died.

So much for the plan for operations in the east.

Hercules asked Leonidas to ally himself. As the Triumvirate had apparently fallen apart, Leonidas agreed. Sparta would help Mycene defeat the Cyclops, and Sparta would get in return the province of Banat, where the Cyclops had established a trade-post.

Leonidas ordered Polynikes to lead the army to the lands of Cyclops. Leonidas would then bring in the reinforcement.

However, Odysseus then declared war on Mycene, and Leonidas did not want to wage a war in the Crimea when there was a fight close to the heartlands of Sparta going on. Leonidas explained the situation to Hercules, who did seem to understand (altough not necessarily agree), and the alliance was called void.

Meanwhile Gauls had been seriously beaten by the Minotaurs, but succeeded to make a favourable peace. Autolycos then contacted Leonidas and asked if the original plan still could be carried out. Leonidas happily agreed, and joined the alliance with Rome and Gauls.

Autolycos wanted to take part in the war against the Cyclops, even though Leonidas did not need his allies, Spartan troops were doing splendidly and had overrun almost all of the Cyclopian lands already. After several pleads from Autolycos to get to the fight Leonidas said the allies can take part in the war, if they so eagerly wanted.

Once Mycenean troops had burned the trade post of Banat and Sparta had sent settlers there Sparta did peace out from the war. The Cyclops had been beaten, they had no army left so it was just for Hercules to take their fortified cities. Soon there after Rome and Gauls also signed peace with the Cyclops.

Plans for the operations in east once again began to take shape. Mycene would also help, and Leonidas was sure Odysseus too would help, altough Leonidas did not wish to discuss the matter with Odysseus, who at times seem to make odd decissions if provided with enough information.

However, Odysseus was active in Britain, and Gauls freaked out again. They wanted Ithacans to be stopped at all cost, because the lands of Britain should be divided between the allies, not let Odysseus take it all. Grudgingly Leonidas agreed on this delay again, and ordered Polynikes and his army to sail to Kaffa to put pressure on Ithaca.

However, Gauls killed Odysseus and declared war on the Minotaurs again. Autolycos immediatly sent thousands of troops to Britain. Leonidas couldn't believe the plans had again been scrapped so easily.

Atlantis refused to give access to Spartan ships. As Sparta was was 17 sea-areas away from Britain there was no way Spartan ships could make such a long journey. In the end Carthage agreed to give access to Spartan ships, but the journey would still be too long.

But as the Minotaurs seemed to be a harder nut to crack than apparently Theseus and Autolycos had tought, Leonidas decided to send an expeditonary force to Britain. Two thousand men were sent on the long journey, of which half survived the journey, two thirds of the fleet was lost on the way. Soon after Spartan troops had joined the siege of Northumbria Minotaurs offered peace to Sparta. Leonidas accepted, and the expediotionary force was demobilised.

Hercules was growing anxious. He sent messages to Leonidas where he asked when the operation would start. Leonidas did not know the answer, all he could do was to gnaw his teeth in frustration. Leonidas even pondered wether he should go in alone, but against the super-power of east that would have been suicidical.

In time the war agains Minotaur ended. Autolycos then informed he is not fit for any wars anytime soon. Gauls OTOH informed Sparta can have Bretagne, if they so want. Sparta thus cancelled its alliance, royal marriage and movement access and declared war on Gaul. A Spartan force was about to land in Bretagne, when everything went black.

Leonidas learned the Gauls and Romans from around the French coast had been lifted to safety, but what about Sparta? Nobody seemed to know anything of the destiny of Spartans. Leonidas didn't know what had happened in Bretagne. Where the Spartan men safe? Had the cancelling of movement access, royal marriage and alliance been all in vain, not to mention the phony-war declared? The stability of Sparta had been ruined for those actions, and the sole intention had to be to get the rightful share for Sparta. Why would the gods thus penalise Sparta?

Leonidas was sad and confused. All plans to support Mycene and Ithaca had been failed. Gods seemed to drop their wrath on Sparta, and those who should have recieved the wrath were recieving benefits. Leonidas prayed in the temples of Ares, Artemis and Pallas Athene, but did recieve any responds.

Last edited:
Autolycos, son of Hermes
- Rogue Agent -

AUTOLYCOS!

Ah, hark, the messenger of the gods! Dear father, what would you have of me?

YOU ARE CALLED TO JUDGEMENT FOR YOUR ACTIONS!

How very nice. As you command, so shall it be: The population of my fair realm has grown under the years of prosperity and I have recently amiably ended an affair with a naughty woman indeed, whose face would be capable of launching at least, say, two dozen ships if the muscle-bound heroes of today had sought her hand and body. I have also instituted colonisation of far-flung areas of this world as you suggested once upon a time after building up the fleet. That’s about it. Would you care for some olives? I’ve had a splendid harvest this year.

AUTOLYCOS! EXPLAIN YOURSELF… And yes, I’d like some olives

Well, I’ve also led my stalwart warriors to victory or at least an honest stalemate against Theseus and his bullyboys. I am pleased to notice that he is no longer the total blockhead of old, led by his dick and a lust for glory, and after a few rounds of vigorous fighting to amuse the violent, we’ve settled down to a fairly stable relationship. I’ve also established cordial relations with your champion of champions, the one and only Perseus, and the noble Leonidas, a latter-day Greek whose veins flow with the blood of warriors, showing that even in the latter days, heroes walked the earth. I’ve raised temples in your honour, as I am sure you have noticed, and also one to Aphrodite as well – I always did admire her, you know, and with all due respects to your servants, her priestesses throw the best festivals.

Perhaps you would like a glass of my fine wine from the vineyards of Italy to loosen the tongue – that purple complexion that has settled on your face and strangled your speech can hardly be healthy. Oh, and if there is anything else you want to know, please ask.

..Some wine would be nice…

Sure, here’s to the champion merchant, valiant messenger, swiftest of the Gods, fleetfooted Hermes, the best damn god in the pantheon, BOTTOMS UP!

So, you were saying?

Explain the Minotaurs

Minotaurs? Which Minotaurs?

The British Minotaurs.

Doesn’t ring a bell. You know, Theseus is the one who knows about the Minotaur. He killed it – a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

AUTOLYCOS! I’m sure you couldn’t miss them. Tall fellows with Bulls’ heads. Each of them a bundle of vicious energy and implacable hostility. Located on that dinky little island up north that was “accidentally” revealed to you by an oracle and subsequently slaughtered by your merry band of warriors on the quest for the TRIANGLE OF LIGHT!

Oh, those Minotaurs. Why didn’t you say so immediately? Well, what is there to explain? They probably had traumatic childhoods, what with being shunned by other children because of their looks, children can be so cruel, and decided to take it out on the local population, which had no doubt been brought in by the Gods especially for that purpose. This gave them an inflated sense of self-purpose and astonishingly bad table habits, what with eating people and all. It also allowed them to institute a reign of terror over the local populace that was inducted into their self-worshiping cult. And now they are dead of natural causes. So sad. I’ve erected a shrine to their honour, but their nature being what it is, it is a small one.

…Sometimes, you drive me to exasperation. You really, truly, do. Not ONE of my other offspring are as vexatious as you.

And they are all dead while I live on, so the moral is clear, yes? Care for an olive?

To Hades with your olives! Well, not all of them. They are worth quite a lot for such pure quality, in fact I might consider ordering a few bushels and… NO WAIT! You nearly had me there. Pray DO explain about the Triangle of Light, and how it completely passed you by that those Minotaurs were MY stake in the game of the gods? Do you have ANY idea how hard it was to breed an entire herd of Minotaurs?

I can safely claim no detailed knowledge of that topic, but then again, dear father, neither can you.

WHAT?

Well, it is fairly obvious, isn’t it? Let’s look at this with critical eyes. Who was responsible for the first, only, and unique Minotaur? Old Stormy, Poseidon himself, of course, he who sent a sacred sea-born bull so great that King Minos of Crete could not bear to sacrifice it. He whose wrath then caused it to impregnate Queen Pasiphaë, who, quote “was completely satisfied” unquote, and bore the singular Minotaur…

Does anybody else know so much about animal husbandry as Poseidon, with the possible exception of Mighty Zeus, praise be to grandfather, he of the varied and occasionally incredible lusts? I think not.

So own up, father. You did not create the Minotaurs. Poseidon did, and somehow you swindled him out of them. I must applaud you on that; Poseidon makes for a bad enemy as my grandson Odysseus discovered to his everlasting regret, and he is not easy to trick. You have once again shown yourself to be THE master merchant…

Yes, it was rather difficult, I’ll have to admit. You won’t believe what I had to bribe him with for an entire herd of Minotaurs, and so long as he doesn’t inspect his new prize too closely, I’m home safe.

The old “Helen of Troy Inflatable Action Doll – Authentic Faux Replica Of The Real Deal” deal?

….
….HOW DID YOU GUESS?

I remember when you pulled the trick on Ares. He was livid when it exploded, as far as I remember.

Don’t remind me. And let us stay on topic. Minotaurs. Right. A tribe of them. Big, fierce, legally mine [except for certain niggling details that are nobody’s worry]. And you slaughtered them for their TRIANGLE PART!

Three Minotaurs. I counted them. The others were just cultists wearing fake horns and makeup as part of their sad cult rituals. Moreover, I respectfully disagree with my righteous dispatch of these bullies from this world as “slaughter”. It was more of a gentle nudge, really.

This had better be good…

Well, you know how it is. There I was, leading a host of the scum of the earth, vicious, vengeful, and vainglorious; vapid, valorous, and victorious. I refer of course to that most exalted breed of men, the most puissant men on earth, the warriors. Nine years [allowing for poetic license] of brutal war against a strong enemy the like of which the world had never seen was being brought to an end…

The mighty armies of human thralls led by Minotaur overlords were broken, the cities fallen, and every man was looking for wine, women, and booty, not necessarily in that order.

Now, picture me standing, the fading sun at my back, head held high, a steely gaze fastened on the crumbling gates of the fallen city of Northumberland. Watch my shadow before me as I march, bravely, to the very gates daring the enemy to raise his hand against me, while my men follow from a safe distance. In the gate opening, three Minotaurs stand in their armour of bronze, with crested helmets and great battle axes. They heft them as I speak words of parlay…

…That does not seem very plausible, you know.

Poetic license, remember? Does the Poet care about niggling details or the big picture? The latter, of course, and since I am the poet, I’ll ignore minor details like the archers. Poets never really understood the proper use of archers anyway, so should I be the one to break the mould? I think not.

That’s a piss-poor excuse for logic, son.

I know, but the Poet couldn’t care less. Now, where was I... Right, as I approached the Minotaurs in parlay, they asked me an incredibly simple riddle. However, not knowing whether they wanted the right or the wrong answer, I let the dice determine the outcome. Unfortunately, they chose wrongly and the Minotaurs wanted the right answer… So they told me to “bugger off, and take your army with you, or you are going to be sad”… Now, it goes without saying, that bringing back the army without spoils after nigh on a decade of war for fun and conquest would not improve my standing in the world. Moreover, it was a patently absurd request. Ares would spit on me for failing my warriors in such a way, Phobus Apollo would turn his light away from such craven cowardice, Pallas Athena would decry such folly, Hades would be cheated of his due, even mighty Zeus himself might be drawn to act against such a craven act, truly unworthy of a Greek Hero.

So that was out of the question, goes without saying. I told these fine fellows that “sorry, no, I’m here to take your land, your gold, and your women, in accordance with ancient tradition and established customs” and offered them peaceful exile outside town if they would agree to perform feats of strength at market fairs (which would help draw merchants to the regions and undoubtedly be profitable in the long run).

They didn’t see things entirely my way, so I offered to let it be up to a game of dice. We’d play strip-dice. Unfortunately, they were sore losers and chose to attack me when I had them down to their greaves, but lacking any sort of body armour by this time, they really were no match for me in close combat. Too slow and lumbering by half.

As such, I declare them dead of stupidity, i.e. natural causes, and consider myself absolved of any responsibility for their premature loss of life, and I regret that certain powers on high seem to have misjudged the situation on hand, based, no doubt, on incomplete reports.

And I took the land, the women, the gold, and the wine too. Not necessarily in that order.

You know, son, the worst thing about it is that knowing you, it is just barely possible that you are not lying through your teeth but telling a true, though tall, tale. Yet there is one thing I seem to miss in your story. The TRIANGLE PART!

Oh, this little thingy? The mysterious ba-da-bah part of the TRIANGLE OF LIGHT!!! This sacred object that nobody ever heard of earlier? The key to getting our grubby little hands on the Armour of Achilles!!!

You know, son, if you weren’t so darned cynical, you would be much easier to manipulate.

Thanks, dad. I appreciate the sentiment. Personally, I blame the parents. I mean, sometimes I think this world is full of blockheads. What made Achilles so special? Apart from his superior fighting skills, of course, and his bad breath. It was his natural armour, his very skin, and unless you flayed him and intended to hand out his tanned hide – ah, I can see on your face that you hadn’t even considered that particular possibility – which would be unhygienic, what the winner will get is an antiquated set of armour lacking the improvements in armour making gained in the centuries since then. In other words, wearing it will be a vulnerability when facing anybody knowing modern techniques. And THIS is the prize? Even with a major blessing attached, that is not worth the effort.

As such, I can only assume that you are playing games, not only with your fellow gods for the fate of men, but also with your fellow gods’ minds. You probably have every one of them dancing to your tune, concocting silly quests and looking over each others shoulders instead of focusing on your actions.

Well, some of them. They are so serious most of the time, and I do like playing a good harmless joke on them.

Harmless? Poor Heracles has brought the wrath of Zeus on his head for his killing, accidentally, of a few Cyclopes. And while his head can take it, thick as it is, that has got to hurt. The poor boy had a hard enough time learning how to row the oars back when we took part of the Argonautica, expecting him to both fight AND utilize his mind at the same time is just plain unfair.

And come to think of it, just WHERE did those Cyclopes come from? Surely they are not native to this world.

Now, if I were the suspicious type (perish the thought!), I would suggest that somebody had Hephaestos create some big bad lightning-proof metal Cyclopes and then gave them to Zeus “to praise his name” or something like that, and I would suggest that the person doing this – let us assume for the sake of argument that it was a deity – that the deity doing this then waited a generation or two and subtly nudged Zeus into deploying his toys in a game to overbid some other bid in the game and show that he was second to none…. Now, if I were such a suspicious type, I would suspect that this hypothetical deity was up to no good.

But it is, of course, pure conjecture.

Of course. I could use some more wine now, son. Just hand me the cask, will you?

Dionysus would approve. Anyhow, that’s it and that’s that, and as far as the Triangle of Light goes, well, that is a commodity, and being of very low supply and very high demand, it is a very valuable commodity. I am sure I can find a buyer.

I really ought to be mad with you, you know. You are a rogue agent and up to no good.

You flatter me, father, I am only doing my best as I see fit. What would the world be like without a bit of variety?

Dull. Nevertheless, it is the wish of father Zeus that I punish you, and I am bloody well not going to let you get a free pass just because you happen to be my son, too clever for your own good, and have a head for intrigue. You are not going to ruin my plans.

Ah, the wrath of an angry parent is hard on the child. I sob. I cry. I beat my chest with my mighty fists. How can I possibly atone, oh thou greatest of gods, thou incomparable patron of trade..

Knock it off, will you? This is no joking matter.

My knees turn weak and my eyes bleed tears, the world grows dark and the blessing of the God is unfelt, oh! woe is me… Now, who amongst the Gods might possibly succour such a lost soul? Who would accept the humble one and his trove of hidden knowledge.

You remember what I told you when you were five, Autolycos?

Don’t blackmail gods?

Right.

It would have worked, you know. I had the pictures to prove it. My gift of invisibility was already then of immense use.

Yess… To test my patience. You really, truly, do test it at times. Trust me on this. Blackmailing my father, your grandfather, chief of the gods, with pictures of an amorous liaison that his wife would not approve of, is not a great career move. While he is occasionally amused by audacity, he dislikes suffering it, much preferring others to suffer.

…Said the guy who stole Apollo’s cattle, bow, and quiver while an infant…

Things were different in those days! But back on topic, Poseidon is going to sweep your new settlements with mighty waves on my request, but I suspect it might just barely be possible that your people were not there when they hit.

Yes. They might be fishing. Same difference.

AUTOLYCOS! Be serious. Consider the birds of the air

Ah, the ordered migration? All the little birdies fly in-land? Those birds sure are clever.

… I do not have the faintest idea what you are talking about. For the record, I was thinking that some birds can survive a flood if they find some wreckage to cling to and that you would have to put your faith in the gods… As for me, I am going to put you under a ban for the next decade or two. No divine help from me until you shape up!

Not a problem, father. I’ll just party with the devotees of love in the temple of foam born Aphrodite instead.

It is a punishment, damn your eyes, not an excuse to party!

If you say so. Care for some olives?

Last edited:
Perseus Journals

Chapter VIII Monsters Awakened

I Perseus had finally returned from the mist of death and released the old regent who had guided Carthage through hard and long years of war. Finally during my absens Carthage was united realm but still celebration waited to be hold.

Shortly after I had returned messages from Peloponnesos arrived that alliance white peace had been signed with Atlantis endind the long perioid of wars.

Looking over the war torn Carthage was sad sight so mutch had been lost but still it was finally time for celebration peace seemed to finally settle over Carthage incident with Phrygia had been solved and even Atlantis seemed to prefer peace.

*Note for myself during the night Hermes visited me and told about quest 3 monster race holding 3 piece of artifact that would bring glory and power to hero and hes god if properly acquired.

Next morning traders arrived with news of new land in north land that was rumored to border great minotaurs. Immediatly settlers was dispatched to north to build outpost for future. This day was allso chosen to be day of celebration for officially united Carthage day that new adventures would begin.

Celebration lasted days and even Hernes himself visited Carthage playing cards and teaching trade it was great honor and high moment of celebration. Soon allso word from north reached Carthage telling of large minotaur realm and successfull establishment of outpost.

During this time north next to New Sparta another realm of monsters cyclops was attacked by its many neighbors, south of Carthage realm of Harpies revealed itself by attacking Atlantis and even the mighty realm of minotaurs was attacked by Gaul.

Chapter IX Years of Peace

Time passed slowly war scars healed and population of Carthage grow for Afrodite looked kindly over Carthage giving her blessing as thanks for new temple dedicated to her.

During one beatiful day a messanger from Atlantis arrived court of Carthage it was great suprice and I Perseus wondered what he would want. I was even more suprised when Atlantis messanger asked nicely military access throught Carthage to defend hes realm from Harpies attack. After short thinking I decided that it was time to build better future and granted Atlantis military access it asked.

Soon come allso Peloponnesos messanger asking military access so he could help hes new ally Atlantis again despite the words of previous Peloponnesos messanger I decided to grant military access to Peloponnesos allso.

While wars continued against all three monster race I Perseus decided wait and build Carthage for future to catch time that was lost in wars while other realms seemed madly run after monsters. It seemed to be wise decicion gods blessed Carthage and even Hermes visited Carthage again playing cards with me and teaching trade. Hermes teaching was wellcomed it alllowed Carthagian merchants finally rebuild lost trade to finance building of Carthages colonial cities to real prospering cities.

One day I Persus was enjoying dinner I received message that ships full of Peloponnesos colonists passed Toubucals coast toward Africa. Suddenly Pelops was not only fighting Harpies but colonizing africa too. So I sent messanger to Pelops asking if he was realy about to colonice arica. Answer was cold “Yes Thought luck” I was angry again he dont bother to talk nicely just takes all granted well I decided to teach Pelops lesson. Another messenger was sent to Pelops telling him Peloponnesos military access was cancelled. Later this incident was resolved but then suddenly white peace with Harpies was signed.

After the diplomatic incident with Peloponneus I Perseus started to feel that Carthage was unsecure now even Peloponnesus was looking for african land so diplomats were sent to Phrygia who was recovering from war agaist Phoenicia and alliance of desert was signed.

While peace and prosperity reigned in Carthage the other monster wars seemed to finally end Cyclops were defeated by its neighbors Heracles annexing them in the end but in hes anger after failing cyclops riddle slayed Zeus chosen monters. Minotaurs on otherhand were defeated firts by Ithica but then Gaul and Rome intervented annexing Minotaurs realm and gained great maps that they used unfortunedly for them gods didnt like it for unknown reasons.

Now the fruits of gods blessing and prospering new cities is finally becoming something concrete new temple is being build to Malta in honor of Poseidon.

A Mighty challenge
Pelops came back to a world changed, for suddenly the Gods had set up tribes of vicious creatures for some sort of contest.
And naturally, Pelops was nearest to the hardest to beat enemy. The Harpies, on their mountainous island. And they were mighty indeed.

Pelops however had his back safe from his human enemies, or so it seemed, and together with Bellerophon he fought back the foul creatures, at a great cost.
For the beasts occupied Catalonia, for a time, and allthough they were little worse than Human occupiers, they did ravage Pelops' supply system.
This was indeed very costly, and in the mean-time the deal for Bearn also had to be paid, leaving Pelops with very little money to praise the Gods more.

And then, while campaigning to limit the power of these creatures, a messenger from Perseus arrived.
At first, the messenger seemed okay enough, asking if indeed they had seen right that Peloponnesians were heading to the lands south of Toubkal.
Pelops replied that that was correct, and that more would follow. Perseus apparently did not like that, and Pelops replied rashly because of the blood of many Peloponnesians who had given their lives to protect their lands from this threat, and now Perseus would seek to eliminate their gains.

Yet in due time, Perseus settled for an apology, it appeared, and the issue of Tassaret was buried, for a time. For also Perseus understood that he could not even reach Tassaret, and thus had very little claim to it. Yet the relations between Pelops and Perseus, which had ever been good, were now strained. For allthough Perseus indeed dropped his claim, or never had one as he himself says, the issue would come up again from time to time.

Trouble on the Horizon?
Yet the Harpies were not the only ones to pose a threat to humanity, for the Cyclopses of the east created a great war, ending in their destruction at the hands of Hercules, servant of Zeus.
But these Cyclopses were creatures of Zeus, even if some thought Hephaestos, blessed be his name, had created them. And thus Hercules, the only one who might have brought some order to the various nations of the world, was scorned by Zeus.
Even still, Pelops knew that in the end the world needed some guidance to prevent it forever being torn apart by strife between humans. And if ever Hercules regained Zeus' favour, he was likely the man to do it.

Yet also, in the lands some call ó Angelos, or (the land of) the messenger, a tribe of Minotaurs, servants of Hermes, had shown up. And Theseus made war upon them, and Pelops did not feel the need to intervene.
For allthough the Minotaurs posed no real threat to mankind, it was best if they were contained on their Island of messengers. Yet Theseus beated them not, and instead signed a white peace shortly before Bellerophon, Pelops and the Harpies did the same.

Yet Odysseus, as ever engaged in the more daring, if not risky, adventures, attacked the Minotaurs and did what Theseus could not: he defeated them, decisively. And now Theseus showed his greed, for together with Rome and Sparta he destroyed Odysseus, because he wanted Angelos-land, or England as some who have lost their touch with Greece call it, to be his, and not Odysseus'.
Pelops looked on, for his treaty with Theseus prevented him from acting, even if he deemed the acts of Autolycus, Theseus and Leonidas cowardly and disgracefull. Thus Odysseus was defeated and killed, and the Minotaurs were beaten by Rome and Gaul.

Still, this was only cowardly done, but in the aftermath Theseus and Autolycus proved less than honourable, for they broke their signed peace-deals with the Minotaurs.

Is he a Greek?
Thus, Pelops considered Theseus much less trustable, and soon that was proven as Theseus broke two deals, aswell as two promises, towards him. Pelops really began to wonder wether or not Theseus was a Greek at all, for no Greek would break his word more than once, yet he had broken it three times, and Pelops' trust twice more.
That was the reward Pelops recieved for allowing Theseus to defeat Odysseus, and he will remember it.

Even so, Pelops was a man of peace, now, and he gave Theseus a final chance to honour his treaties now, even if Pelops would be wary about entering any new ones that would not force Theseus to honour it immediately. And thus it now stands, for Theseus has not replied to the words of Pelops.

Last edited:
The Fall of Theseus
Pelops heard the words of Theseus, and he was grieved, for indeed no saving seemed possible now.

Therefore, he began contemplating what to do, and presented his cas to Hephaestos by prayer:
Mighty Hephaestos, god of smiths, hear the words of thine servant:
Theseus has gone down the long and dark road of betrayal, and he has broken his word several times, and those that rule in his stead even more times. For as he himself admits he ends a deal he had agreed to last longer, and indeed he reversed his decision to return your people in Gerona to the rule of their rightfull king, your champion.
His regent, following closely in his masters' footsteps or perhaps leading the way, broke his word towards the Minotaurs of Hermes, and attacked them only shortly after agreeing to peace, if only by proxy.

Now, a new threat looms. For like Odysseus, he has gone down the path of evil, and he needs to be saved if at all possible. Odysseus seems better now, and perhaps we can yet save Theseus before it is too late.

Yet I cannot do this alone, and thus I request thine aid. I will myself attempt to persuade the heroes of this world to answer the call, and I ask of thee to convince the Gods of Mount Olympus. For it is now that we must strike, while men still remember the betrayals of Theseus, and while there yet may be hope of his saving.

Rouse the Gods, I ask, and I will attempt to rouse their servants.

Later that night, Pelops sent out messengers to the other rulers of men in this world, to persuade them of the righteousness of the cause.

Hear, ye kings of men in this world, hear a tale of dread and sorrow.
For I tell you the story of the end of a hero, the loss of one of the great of this world.
I tell you the story of his downfall and his descent down roads drenched with treachery, disgrace and death.

Who, you may ask, do I speak off? I speak of Theseus the vile, the accursed, the traitor.

In a time long past, when our kingdoms were young and small, Theseus agreed with Pelops a splitting of the lands around the mountains of the north, and for many a year indeed did peace reign in the Pyrenees.
Those were perhaps our days of bliss, untroubled yet by the cloud of treachery that had unfortunately not been left behind on our old world.

Yet they ended, and Odysseus broke his word towards Medea and destroyed her kingdom, and the heroes of the world set out for their great crusade. Cunning Perseus, Vigilant Leonidas, and I myself, Pelops of the great crafts, perished there, and many besides us.
In the end, as ye know, Odysseus was defeated utterly, and the world seemed glad. Yet the world was not saved from the cloud of treachery.

For Theseus, in his pride, decided that the nation of Pelops, bereft of it's king and many of it's sons besides, should be attacked. Bellerophon, probably not expecting that he was aiding an oathbreaker, kept to his oath even if he did not like it.
Ye all know the result of the war, and later through blood and peace the wounds between Bellerophon and Pelops were healed. Yet Theseus, through clever words and great promises, escaped. And indeed, had he kept his promises, he would have repaid his debts.
This was the first sign of the fall of Theseus, even if none saw it yet.

Later, as you all know, Theseus fought the creatures of Hermes, and after forcing the one who had truly beaten them, Odysseus, out of the spoils, he grabbed what he could together with Autolycus.
Yet, it was not enough. For shortly thereafter he struck again, even though he and Autolycus had pledged a peace for at least 5 years. This was the second sign, and allthough few still saw it at the time, it appears that later many at least noticed.

But this tale of dread and treachery ends not here, with him breaking his words to non-humans, even if supposedly they were servants of Hermes. For Theseus the greedy, returning from the house of his patron, deemed the time right for his masterstroke.
For his regent had indeed colonised land that Theseus had secretly promised to Pelops, and allthough few of you might believe it, this was the truth. Offcourse, the regent apparently didn't know it, and thus Pelops offered Theseus the chance to come to an agreement.

Yet it would not be, for the treaty his regent had allready signed that would return Gerona to it's rightfull owner, was torn to pieces by Theseus, and even the pact he himself had signed, he burned in the ashes of his pits, giving instead a limited promise in return.
This was the third, and untill this time final step in his downfall.

Yet, he may not be lost entirely to humanity, and perhaps a shred of honour remains, as may be shown by the fact that he still gave that promise.
Therefore, NOW is the time to act. While we still can, we must save him from his madness and ensure that no further steps in his downfall can be noted.
We must save him as we saved Odysseus, by force if necessary, and drag him back to the civilization and honour that is remniscient of true Greeks.

I beg not for me, ye kings of the Greeks, but for the good of Theseus and the world, save Theseus from his madness!

Rumblings in Olympus​

"The mortals are getting restless Zeus" Hephaestus said, handing the father of the Gods his latest supply of lightning bolts freshly forged from the fire. "I think your little game may have backfired."

"My game Hephaestus? Look to my son when you talk of that" Zeus growled.

"Yes well, the point being that our gallant heroes didn't see these creatures as servants of Olympus and instead spent all their energy in cutting them down, you really should have seen that coming. Why I have my own hero Pelops now praying for help against Theseus and asking why the Gods aren't punishing Theseus for breaking his word to the creatures."

"Well they were only monsters," muttered Zeus.

"Now what are you two discussing" asked Athena brightly.

"Zeus was just saying how it was okay to break your word to none humans in the way Odysseus did to Medea, something about them being only monsters..."

"Now Hephi” stormed Zeus,”watch that tongue of yours!"

"Boys boys, calm down. As usual you're both missing the wider picture. The Minotaurs and Cyclops were settled where they were for more than just providing entertainment in Hermes game remember. Now they're gone we're either going to have to come up with new guardians or everyone has to face the consequences!"

"Quite right Athena quite right" said Zeus glaring at Hephaestus, "what's a little broken word when we're looking at the destruction of the guardians. The wider picture boy, consider the wider picture."

"But Zeus" sputtered Hephaestus, "how can you let them off when you ordered us to punish Odysseus?"

"He can't Hephi" Athena replied as Zeus, caught by surprise gapped at her. "Come on father you know you're going to have to order them punished at least a little bit if for no other reason than to distract the others and so cover up for the destruction of the guardians."

"And whilst all the other Gods are busy whipping up their heroes I'll see about replacing your Cyclops" Hephaestus winked at Athena catching on to her ploy. "Perhaps we can even get them in place before any harm is done eh."

Looking like he was sucking on a lemon Zeus muttered, "well if Hermes doesn't blab..."

"He won't father, Hermes is playing a much deeper game"

"And you're sure you're not just saying this to get back at me for Odysseus?

"Now father would I do that?" Athena sweetly smiled "Monsters or not don't you see what will happen if you don't keep these Heroes in line? And you can't punish Autolycus and Theseus without including Heracles. Anyway you should look on the bright side, at least it lets you pull one over on Hermes."

As Athena and Hephaestus departed from Zeus's presence Hephaestus had to ask, "So did you side with me sister because of Odysseus or because you actually believed what you said?"

"Oh now Hephi, you more than most should understand the truth in what I said. Zeus knows it as well or he wouldn't have acquiesced. His position here isn't as secure as he'd like everyone to believe you know, though it's true" she mused "that I am considering giving Odysseus a second chance... better that than let Aphrodite weedle her way into his arms, err charms... Oh sorry Hephi” she blushed when she saw Hephaestus’ face turn to stone, “besides Zeus knows that the flack will be spread about this time and Heracles may well get lucky and avoid most of it. It's a bit much to expect any of our heroes to try and take on more than one of them after all..."

Athena then departed and Hephaestus was left on his own to ponder what had just happened. He mused about his own champion Pelops; He had shown bravery for sure in dropping the first stone that forced the Gods hand, whether he had also shown intelligence was another matter entirely. Still, to be fair to the lad, there were others besides Pelops calling upon Olympus to act, better have a word with Ares Hephaestus thought much though it galled him, Ares at least might appreciate Pelops bravery for Hades sure wouldn't be amused, or would Apollo be more receptive perhaps...?

[OOC events in game will tell more]

The Atlantic Chronicles:
Chapter III

In the western corner of the world, Bellerophon was troubled. He knew that dangerous things were to come, much worse than the horrible maladies that had befallen Atlantis repeatedly. He had done his best to stifle such problems, but still Atlantis had suffered. It seemed the mortal odds were stacked against him, with the immortals hardly casting a glance. Bellerophon’s successes, while sufficient enough to ensure some standing among heroes, were matched by his failures.

The last twenty years were similar. Out of the blue, the hideous Harpies appeared from somewhere in the Atlantic. Even stranger, the bird-women sent numerous merchants to Atlantis for trade. Bellerophon could do nothing of this, as no man knew how to reach the fabled islands they came from. That is, until the harpies began the pillaging.

The Harpies began an all-out campaign against Atlantean coasts. In the beginning of the conflict, the Atlantean navy scored several minor victories against the hideous yet superior Harpy vessels. From the wrecks, maps were found showing how to reach their islands. A map of Atlantis itself was also found, more comprehensive than any Atlantean cartographer had managed – it even detailed the uninhabited land known as Oporto to the north. These maps were put to use. Immediately the Atlantean navy was ordered to sail forth and sink all Harpy vessels, and settlers were sent to inhabit Oporto.

The settlers were successful, but the navy was not. The Atlantean Fleet began to lose as much as it won. It became apparent that no Atlantean foot soldier would set foot in ‘The Canaries’, as the mysterious base of the Harpies because no ship could get near that place. The Atlantean navy was trapped inside the Mediterranean, unable to break the Harpy warships. War would rage for years.

harpies.jpg

After a decade of desperate conflict, the Harpies finally offered peace terms – white peace. Bellerophon quickly accepted this offer, and was hailed as a hero once more in his lands. The people had been terrified for years, not knowing when or where the Harpies could land and pillage their coastal settlements. As it was a defensive war, white peace was considered a victory, despite the high cost spent for no gain. Bellerophon vowed he would not forget the Harpies. He had patience.

And things on the horizon seemed even more troubling.

Pelops’ and Bellerophon’s pact of friendship had worked for longer than two decades. A sense of brotherhood and friendship seemed to possess the peninsula if observed by outsiders. But it was not the case.

Despite the pact, Bellerophon could but distrust Pelops. He had not forgiven him for invading by surprise years earlier, during the war with Carthage. Thanks in part to Pelops’ actions, Bellerophon snatched defeat out of the hands of victory, and was humiliated. Shortly thereafter, the friendship pact was signed, but for what motives? Pelops was a good man, but easily blinded by foul forces. Could Bellerophon trust Pelops?

Theseus was also a problem. Bellerophon and Theseus engaged in friendly negotiations. Theseus had given Bellerophon a victory out of a stalemate in the First Atlantic War. But in the second war, where was he? He abandoned Atlantis though a Cartho-Peloponnesian alliance was a certain threat. Surely in doing this, he too contributed to Atlantis’ humiliating loss of Toledo and Fez? But the messages of friendship kept coming to Bellerophon.

Bellerophon enjoyed considering himself a friend to them both. But what can a friend do with two friends begin quarreling? When both look to you for aid? Conflict seemed to loom on the horizon, with Theseus and Pelops both casting each other down to condemnation. Who should he side with, or should he choose a side at all?

A choice was to be made. Bellerophon set about deciding which would be best for what mattered…what choice would be best for Atlantis?

Hector returns from talks with Leonidas of Sparta

“Father” shouted Aecus as the Trojan king stepped off the boat and began striding up the beach, “was the city as splendid as the traders say?”

Hector paused for a moment looking across the white sands at the young man, “can’t you even let an old man return to the palace before badgering him with questions?”

“Old? Hah, you look the same now as when I was a boy, but welcome home father” the young man said and Hector stepped into his embrase smiling at his adopted son.

“Oh it’s good to be back Aecus I’ll tell you that, even if I must depart again soon for Gaul. Aye I’m sorry Aecus” Hector said seeing the crestfallen expression on his son’s face. “But the city was everything people say of it. Never have I seen a place teeming with such wealth, nor the soldiers dressed out in such plumage, it was a sight to behold and no denying it.”

“Will there be war father?” Aecus blurted out and Hectors expression darkened.

“That I can’t say” he finally replied, “Leonidas purports to want to help Ithaca, at our expense I might add not his own. If he’d shown any inclination these last few decades to actually aid Ithaca rather than weakening her at every opportunity, first by siding against her in the Cyclops war and then again in the one on the Minotours island,well then I’d be more inclined to trust his motives, as it is though I fear all he really wants to do is weaken Troy and so push forward his own pre-eminence. Aye the rest is just a poor ruse to cover his intentions.”

“That sounds bad” Aecus replied as the two proceeded along the road from the harbour.

“Oh he tried to hide it all in honey eyed words, he actually said he would help us if we did as he ordered. Help, now there’s a laugh. I’ve never given in to blackmail before and I’m not about to start now, of course when I called him on it he tried to pretend he wasn’t blackmailing us at all, but when a man holds a dagger to your throat and says do this or else I’m inclined to label it for what it is rather than what the silky voiced scribes would prefer, and when a man then tries to deny it he loses what honour he once had in my eyes.

“Argh I’m sorry to be so maudlin son, your old man is getting all wound up just thinking about that dishonourable pisspoor excuse for a king.”

“Wow father, I don’t think I’ve ever heard you so angry before.”

“Oh Agamemnon could have given him a run for his money Aecus have no doubt about that, but when Leonidas started complaining about Troy having more temples to the Gods than him I lost my temper and respect for the man. Has he no honour left that he would be envious of another who worships the Gods? Don’t get me wrong son, I didn’t go out of my way to antagonise him, I mean I’ve always tried to be a wise ruler and all so I offered him an alternative means to the ends he ascribed to want, but he threw that back in my face so I left before I said something I’d regret.

“The funny thing is you know, that as our ship pulled out of the docks a red faced scribe came racing down the jetty. I still wonder what he wanted, but not enough to order the anchor dropped again…”

Leonidas can not believe what Hector dares to suggest

Leonidas was baffled after the meeting with Hector.

Hector had claimed "we honour the Gods more than anyone else with more temples", even though Troy has only built *one* temple to the gods, and robbed two. Nobody has built fewer than that, no other hero has robbed temples, yet Hector claim to be the most pious man in the world!

Hector had claimed Sparta attacked Ithaca during the Cyclops and Minotaur wars, which is utter lies. Sparta and Ithaca were in war during the Minotaur war, that is true, but Spartan troops never made contact with Ithaca and never crossed the border to Ithaca, *not even when Sparta could have vassalised Ithaca so easily* if Sparta would follow the power-policy of Troy. During the Cyclops wars Sparta and Ithaca had not even been in technical war with each other, but Hector still had the decency to claim Sparta attacked Ithaca.

Earlier, the Gods had called for the lands of Medea be free again, but despite Leonidas wishes the lands were instead transfered to Troyan rule! How could that happen, without the gods intervening? Hector claims Troy has the right to rule Medean lands, because they were able to take the lands with force and because they were the leader in the war, ignoring the fact that Troy joined the war after Sparta had spearheaded the operations. Leonidas would never have made such utterly ridiculous demands on Ithaca, who already had got its lesson.

After Troy had robbed them the rich lands of Medea they presented themselves as the good-doers of Ithaca. Which included a declaration of war to *again* take more land from Ithaca. Which Hector tells only shows how noble a man he is and how helpful he is to Ithaca.

O times, o customs!

---

Leonidas and Hercules signed the Defensive Alliance of Balkans. The DAB would be the first and only line of defence available to hinder the Juggernaut Hordes of the East to roll West.

Both Leonidas and Hercules, enemies of the past, had stern looks. They knew they were up to a very difficult task. The task to save the Western Way of Life. The DAB would not waver in this, even though at least Leonidas hoped others would join the task to save West, before it was too late.

The Tale of Hercules.

Hercules paces nervously across the throne room of the Palace in Mycenae. He constantly keeps on looking at the Sun Dial as he paces, getting more and more nervous as time passes.

"Where is he? He should have been here by now, it's really not like him to be late. This is not a good sign"

Suddenly the room goes pitch black and thunder rolls across the room. A Glowing figure appears and lightening crackles in the distance.

"Behold and listen to the Judgement of the Gods! Thee who has turned his back on his faith shall suffer the most desperate of consequence for the slaying of the Cyclopeans, chosen defenders of the Triangle of Zeus. The People of Mycenae shall no longer be content with the rule of Hercules and will seek to gain their freedom. Plagues shall cover the land and the rivers shall run red with the blood of the innocent and sinful alike. Only when you have abbased yourself properly to the Gods, shall this curse be lifted."

(OOC: This is just a placeholder from which I shall work on, over the weekend)

The ink hadn't dried yet, when Hercules informed Leonidas the agreement was not in force anymore.

Could anything save Sparta now? Troy, the superpower of the East, had decided to show what happens to those who question their absolute power. But spartans would surely fight on as long as one of them still could lift an arm.