• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Peter Ebbesen

the Conqueror
61 Badges
Mar 3, 2001
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • BATTLETECH
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Hearts of Iron II: Beta
  • Victoria 2 Beta
This is the story/AAR thread for the multi-player game Throne of Heaven 2: The Olympian Rebirth, that will be kicking off in December 2004 and hopefully run some three months or more. The main storyline is managed by Wyvern and Peter Ebbesen, co-GMs and awesomely powerful beings in their own rights, but all players will write their own AAR entries in this thread, clearly marked to avoid confusion.

The game planning and discussion thread is in the multi-player forum, in this thread.

There is still room for one author to join. Post in the MP discussion thread if you are interested or contact Wyvern via icq. You must be committed to seeing the game through and at least a little MP experience is preferable.

Feedback from readers is most welcome in either thread, but the players should keep all their entries in this thread in-character. Deviation will be punished by the GMs: If you want to call somebody an idiot, use the discussion thread. If you want to call somebody's heroic avatar the son of a goat, use this thread.

And thus it stands. Without further ado, it is time to light a fire 'gainst the dark as the scant background story is laid out. Players are encouraged to post an introductory piece explaining their starting God's choice of hero - or perhaps their starting hero's choice of God. Do these heroes, plucked from the fabric of fate and transported to a new world to lead a people appreciate what their God has done for them, or are they, as Greek heroes are wont to, ungrateful buggers who will charm you even as they steal you blind or consider the worth of your armour stripped from your dead body?

Last edited:
ToH2: The Olympian Rebirth

Against Stupidity
the Gods Themselves
Contend in Vain

…It is the dawn of a new era…

Thunder crashed down from the heavens, smiting mountains and gouging great chunks of rock from the earth. Colossal waves rolled across the Mediterranean swamping coastal regions and even areas well inland. The world teetered on the verge of collapse and even the Gods drew breath.

…And far below the earth, as far as a bronze anvil can fall in nine days and nine nights, the three Hecatoncheires stir in their prison and stop their eternal fight against one another and make common cause with the their kin the Titans…

Across the sky blazoned a thousand suns, their light blinding the presence of a thousand moons. Time and space had lost meaning as the world fell in upon itself drowning the present and washing away memory.

…Under the leadership of Chronus, these Gods and Monsters of the early days now move, for the first time, in unison – and the Gates of Tartaros burst open…

Mighty Zeus, leader of the Gods watched the end of his people draw near. Yet must it end like this? Was there not another way?

…Through the Gates they march, the Titans, who were the first. The Hecatoncheires, mightiest of monsters, whose power even great Uranus feared, and a host of lesser monsters imprisoned over time by the jealous Olympians follow in their wake…

“My fellow Olympians. Brothers, sisters, wives, lovers, and children. Our time here is over and this world lost to us – yet our time is not done! We cannot be defeated so long as I lead you. Look before you, out there amongst the strands of time is the means of our survival. Pick and choose my friends, save those people you can and in so doing save yourself. Yet choose carefully, my children, and choose quickly and when done bring your people HERE!” Within their minds he drew a picture, a picture of a serene Mediterranean, a new Mediterranean, one of lush vegetation, plentiful resources and nary a human to be found. “We shall forge a new world here” Zeus boomed, “One populated by those who still believe in us, one where new legends will be born and destiny re-written and each of you must choose one hero from amongst your followers who will lead your people and glorify your name in this new world so that it is never forgotten. Upon these twelve chosen heroes I shall grant immortality!”

…The land is Ice and Fire when the hosts of Tartaros reach the surface, yet even so it is a pleasant change of scenery compared to their ancient prison. Now, free for the first time in millennia, they prepare to do battle against the upstarts who imprisoned them, for their vengeance will not be denied…

Each of the God’s swiftly departed. Images from the vastness of time played out before their eyes presenting them with a panorama of scenes and people from which to choose. Some they could save, others they would leave to their doom, each God carefully considering who would serve their interests best. Times were changing and perhaps a new power structure would emerge on this new world with them sitting on top. After all, even mighty Zeus ruled as much by consensus as by force, and he only gained the throne by overthrowing his father – just like his father to his grandfather before him. Indeed, in a new world, it might be time for… Adjustments. With this in mind some chose great warriors whilst others wise leaders. Some picked their chosen one for their cunning, others for past services, yet in the end each knew that the loyalty of the humans was capricious at best, treacherous at the worst, and that each of these Heroes would likely follow many Gods. This was not a problem so long as they were remembered and worshiped.

THEY TRAVEL.

…And mighty Chronus surveyed the blasted world devoid of life and cursed his Olympian offspring for letting the world he ruled in its Golden Age go to rack and ruin. Uranus was falling, Pontus poisoned and dying. With nobody to fight, the Hecatoncheires began fighting again. With nobody to eat, the monsters began preying on one another for nourishment. And Chronus, mighty Chronus, appealed to his dying mother Gaia to help her firstborn offspring in their hour of need.

The old world had been left behind and settlements now sprung up on the new. Zeus surveyed the Olympians noting the glowing spheres that hovered before each and from within which was the picture of that God’s chosen champion. Yet within the sphere of one God was no champion, simply an empty void. “Aphrodite!” Zeus cried out, “Where is your champion?”

…And Gaia hears him, and grants him one last gift …

“I need pick no champion” the Goddess of Beauty purred “for of us all I shall never be forgotten. All men think of me and all children are conceived with thought of me.” Yet Zeus caught the glimpse of hatred as Aphrodites gaze passed momentarily over Hermes. Twelve Heroes, twelve Gods. Intrigue was on the wind already…!

Last edited:
A new beginning
Pelops was alone. Beneath him, he could see the world being torn apart by ravaging monsters, wrecked by earthquakes and lightning.
But he felt them not, he was above it. Then, suddenly, he was in a new world, a safe one. Around him were other people, some he had known, most he had not.
But these people knew him, and they declared him king of their new land, hoping that he could bring them prosperity in this new world, and indeed, for many years they thrived. And in the new temple being built to great god Hephaestus, Pelops prayed, asking where he was, what was going on. And Hephaestus answered him, saying:

"Pelops! Of all the people of the world, I have chosen you to lead my people. I have chosen you to lead my faith.

As you undoubtedly have found out, you are no longer in the world of your birth. That world is gone, destroyed when the gods of times long past tried to reclaim their place.
This world is your home now. But it is different, for you are no longer mortal. You may die in battle, but whenever that happens, you may return to my temple here to rise again.
However, your people may yet die. And that is why I have chosen you. In your life, I have remade your shoulder. I saved you from Myrtilus' curse. And now,
Pelops, I ask a repayment for your debts.
Bring my people to glory! Ensure that my name is never forgotten in this new world!

Others will be here aswell, other heroes of the old world. But none must break your spirit, for you are again on a peninsula, and you may yet again call it the Peloponnese! Unite this peninsula, and none will oppose you!
To your south is Bellerophon, servant of Poseidon. He will be strong at sea, and may prove a valuable ally. If not, you can allways send him to Poseidon, by pushing him into the sea.
To your north is Theseus, great king of Athens. Yet in his old age, he now serves Hades, king of the underworld. He too serves a powerfull god, but he might prove treacherous. If he can betray his goddess, surely he can betray a mere hero. Then again, he may prove trustworthy, but never underestimate him.

Further away are the servants of all other gods you know, except one. My treacherous wife has taken none with her, and you may be glad for that, for otherwise I would surely have sent you to stamp out the traitors.

Now, Pelops, you must return and talk to your neighbours, and build up your kingdom.
"

And thus Pelops laboured for many years, while sending couriers to talk to his neighbours. He built himself a kingdom much larger than what had been in the old world, but his neighbours grew strong aswell.
In the end, he agreed with them that expansion would lead to conflict, unless borders were agreed to. Thus he talked, and they made borders. They were not clear, but the general idea was now established.
But others sent messengers aswell, some even bold enough to ask for money to not execute their wicked plans. Pelops laughed to himself, but in public he offered to pay them, in due time.
He knew he could not afford anyone trying a suicidal action that might take his new kingdom with it, not now he had built it to new heights. Promising payment may prove usefull, even if he knew not whether he would pay or not.

And now, a new time dawned for Pelops' kingdom, for he was finally ready to begin populating all he had claimed...

Twilight & Dawn

It was the end and begining, twilight of all and dawn of new begining. In this strange time when time itself seemed to lose meaning. Perseus peacefull dream was interrupted by arrival of Hermes messanger of gods.

Hermes: “Wakeup its time to dreams end and new legends to rise.”

Hermes: “Wakeup for ones it was time you called me in need now I call you in need so abandon your sleep and live again”

Perseus: “How can I repay your help for your guidance that lead me to greatest treasure of all Andromeda my true love. So how can I serve you to show my gratitude for you”

Slowly Perseus opened hes eyes and saw the old world that was dying and consumated in fires. This sight greatly shocked Perseus.

Perseus: “The world you summon me is dying how can I serve you by abandoning the dream of death and living again for all my strenght and cunning I cannot save it.”

Hermes: “Death you see is not the end. Its just another beging. Its twilight of old and dawn of new. To this new era Ill call you to serve me and raise my name to legends for legends live forever and so will my name.”

While Hermes spoke new view opened in front of Perseus view of new world just born, opening like new flower after rain.

Hermes: “In this new world you will be my herald and voice among people that follow you. Lead them well so they may find their way to legends in ths new world”

Perseus: “I will do as you ask my fatrher for in this new world Iam your son like in old one I was son of Zeus. For its your will that brings me in to it.”

Perseus: “I just have one question for my new father. What happens to my beloved wife Andromeda will she be among the ones that will follow me to this new world?”

Hermes: “My son this is new begining and so will you have to find your love again for all begings again here. But be carefull in your search for love is dominion of Afrodite. So you dont lose your purpose in search for new or old true love.”

Hermes: “But find your way, keep your faith and purpose and you may again even find path to the true love in your quest for glory”

Then with Hermes Perseus departed to meeting of gods where Zeus spoke to gods speaking of twelve chanpion of new world who he grants immortality. Noticing Afrodite god of love had no chanpion of her own and all other gods having one chanpion Perseus was puzzled and looked in the eyes of Hermes seeing proud shining from them and knowing grin in hes face.

After the meeting Hermes carried Perseus finally to the new wolrd. In south middle of new mediterranean Perseus claimed land for himself and to the people Hermes had promised to follow him. Under the rule of Perseus hes followers propered and named their kingdom Carthago. During this time other champions found new prospering kingdoms as well. In south has Midas follower of Dionysos claimed new kingdom of Phrygia. To west has Bellerophon follower of Poseidon raised new kingdom in memory of lost Atlantis and in north in the center of mediterranean is new Rome realm of Autolycus new brother of Perseus. As in suprise to many Autolycus greatest mastermind of old had found way to hitchhike hes way with Hermes to new world.

And so begings for Perseus the time of new legends and quest for glory and fame for good or bad.

Last edited:
Rebirth of Troy – The Golden Age

Death stood before him in shining armour, his face covered by a golden helm, his movements both supple and graceful yet lightening quick. A sword in the hand of a master was a sight to behold and in Death’s it was lethal. Here in this man who stood before him lay his doom.

He had fought for hours in the scorching heat, every muscle aching and sinew screaming. He knew he had fought longer and harder than any other who had stood before his nemesis, but this meant nothing. The end was now near and in anticipation his protesting muscles stiffen at the coming death blow. The sword descended, shattering bone and cleaving flesh, his body shuddering at the impact and as he crumpled to the ground death reached up a hand to his head and slowly began to draw off his helm.

Hector woke up with a great convulsive retching of air to find Andromache hovering over him and gently shaking his shoulders whilst a familiar concerned look was plastered over her face. "Bad dreams again my love?" she asked.

"Always the same" he replied, "I feel I should know him but always wake before I see his face."

"Well whoever he is we are safe here, the Gods have truly brought us to a paradise."

"Perhaps my love perhaps." But Hector knew his people were not alone in this world, and where other humans resided so too lay danger. Traders from distant lands had started to arrive recently telling of other countries both near and far, all of them had tales of their people being transported to this world from another, from a place similar to this that was already passing into legend for many.

Across the new Aegean straits lay the Kingdom of Mycenae just as it had in the old days, though Hector thanked the Gods this kingdom was not ruled by the tyrant Agamemnon, but rather the legendary Heracles. Whether this was really the Heracles of fame, the member of the infamous crew of the Argo Hector reserved his judgement.

To his southeast lay the Phoenicians ruled by Orion, ancestors to his allies of old, whilst to the north Odysseus held sway over the new Kingdom of Ithaca. Would Odysseus remain a foe to Troy in this new world, continuing the conflict from the great Greek Trojan war? Only time would tell and he endeavoured to keep these fears to himself and not burden them on Andromache.

As he looked upon his wife whom the Gods can also brought to this world he felt a now familiar pang of anguish. The Gods had granted him immortality but not given the same to his wife, and her features were starting to age with fine wrinkles appearing on her skin. Both saved and cursed by the Gods he was. Rescued from the siege of Troy by Apollo and brought here with his people, yet now cursed to watch those he loved slowly die. Will you not grant her immortality too! he cried out silently to the Gods. I will serve you and follow you all my days but grant me my one companion I pray, grant immortality to my true love!

Phrygia - The beginning

Midas stares over the river Pactolus and noticed the golden gleam of the riverbank.
Fond memories it brings in his mind, the memories of a past which seemed eons ago. It all comes back!

...Apollo. The Great God Pan. His ears, perfectly patterned of those of an ass..the barber... the satyr Silenus. The God Dionysus himself, who tricked him with the touch of gold...

Gold. Everything turned into Gold. The walls of his majestic palace, the trees in the garden, his horse, his servants, his food and finally his children. Everything!

But that was the past...
He is now back in his palace, his servants are mortal beings again, as are his children. And didn't he rode on his own horse to the Pactolus?
Yes, the curse is gone and Midas could remember the cold water of the river washing it away from him. Good riddance!
He lives again in his huge castle surrounded by rose gardens and all kinds of beautiful and luxurious things. He has all the good food he can actually eat, and shares his abundant life with his wonderful daughter, Zoe.

Dionysus certainly learned him that greed was not good. The king learned it the hard way.

But still...still Midas thinks that the huge pile of gold in his treasure chest makes him happy as well...
And every day he would begin to count his gold until he became so excited that he would laugh and laugh and throw his gold up in the air to shower himself with his gold coins. Sometimes he would even lie down and cover himself with golden things, giggle and giggle, and roll around in it like a child.

Till he hears the voice of Dionysus in his head, always booming:
"Midas!...Midas! Stop playing with that...remember the curse!.."

And that was always enough to make him come back to reality. Afterall, he wanted Life. Not Gold.

Though, it was a decent second choice.

But enough of that.
He was in this strange, fascinating world. Together with his most loyal people. And though they did not realise something was wrong, Midas surely did.

He was here, with his kingdom and with his memories. Memories which do not fit in this place. For Phrygia was still Phrygia, but the neighbouring kingdoms (of which he heard recently) were certainly not the old neighbours of Phrygia.
No Cimmerians, no Lydians, no Persians.
But Phoenicians, Trojans, Myceneans and Carthagians.

All of them seem to have the same problem. They seem to be ripped from their own place in history to this world. Some of them Midas remembers from mythology, some of them seem to be from a future time or from another world.
All of them are gathered in here.

At least the Gods of his world seem to reign superior here too and the various kingdoms are tightly bound to them. Phrygia of course to Dionysus, Lord of fertility, King of the Wine...Phoenicia to the Virgin Artemis and so on.

The Gods, as they always did and will do, seem to rival with each other and the various kingdoms in this world are toys in their hands.
Midas yet has to see which gifts lord Dionysus would give him this time and to which direction he would lead Midas and the Phrygians...
Probably against his direct rival, Apollo, though you would never know with Dionysus.

But till Midas would figure this out, he would be content with expanding the glorious realm of Phrygia, erect a few temples to keep the jealous-as-always Gods content and try to develop good relations with his neighbours.

Oh. And enjoy the fruits of his strange immortality.

"Certainly Dionysus seems to be able to give good things too", Midas thought.

And he asked his servant for a good glass of red wine.

Last edited:
Autolycos, son of Hermes
- Road Agent -

Fortunately, I am blessed with a robust health, a good strong arm, a quick mind, and quicker feet, all of which I put to good use that day. I was leaning against a tree in quiet reverie with Gaia, listening to the sounds of the forest, when I was rudely interrupted by the sound of an approaching wagon and horses.

What? My turn? Hurry up? Of course I will. Time to roll the dice… Hmm. Not bad, not bad at all, my good man, you won my obol fair and square. I currently own little but the armour on my back, but I will wager you another obol to regain what is lost.

Anyhow, as a true Hero, for all we Greeks are heroes, as I am sure you will agree, nothing would do but that I examine the interruption. Horses mean nobles, and nobles mean coin, and separating the one from the other is all in a day’s job.

Blast. The dice hate me today. That obol is yours as well. I am not sure I should continue playing. Ah, if you insist. Double or nothing?

As I approached the worn track, that the wagon was likely to be using, I heard the frightful din of fighting! Now, Ares fend, I make no boast when I say that I am an accomplished warrior, but sometimes caution is the better part of valour, so while I continued my approach, I did so carefully, keeping in the cover of the trees, the better to study the situation.

Four of my obols gone in all. I wish my worries would depart as easily, but you are good company, and I am in a good mood, so if you would be so kind as to buy a good jar of wine, I bet I could do better! Dionysus favours the drunk, right? Hah, you laugh, but buy the wine and see who has the last laugh, I will wager another four obols! I am good for them.. Barely.

And what did I see before me? A wagon attacked by bandits, as surely you have guessed? If so, you guessed wrong. I saw a gang of well-armed ruffians attacking a small band of determined defenders, soldiers one and all with the look of eagles in their eye, and a wagon carrying the fairest treasure in the land.

No. Not the Asinine Oracles, nor the Golden Status of Zeus. The first are utter rubbish and the latter is not going to be built for centuries! Ha, I speak in riddles and I throw the dice! Damnation, looks like you won again. Obviously, I am not drunk enough, but that can be remedied!

I speak, of course, of the fair maid bedecked in golden jewelry who was the obvious target of the attack. Now, as all men know, interfering in somebody elses fight is likely to get you killed by either side, if they know you not, so while my heart went out to the defenders and my sword nigh leapt to my hand – I could not in good faith intervene directly or I might have distracted the very side I would support and perhaps cost them victory. Instead, I circled the battle and took up a commanding position at the rear. As well as a deft hand with a sword, I have some facility with the bow, as I proceeded to demonstrate to all and sundry. Swiftly, I feathered a few of the attackers and raise a cry as were I an army, then charged in with my drawn sword!

Hah! The eight obols are mine, all mine! My luck has turned… Better not wager any more. Well, if you insist, then so be it. You are a most droll fellow.

My ruse succeeded. The few remaining attackers fled! Unfortunately, they had managed to dispatch the last of the defenders during the final melee, but at least the maid was unharmed. Gallantly, I offered to lead her to her relatives.

Ah, sixteen obols to you. You are better than you look, old man. Double or nothing?

Unfortunately, there was a minor detail I was unaware of. Well, you can hardly blame me for this thoroughly natural mistake, but I am afraid she did. Women, who can understand them? It turns out that the attackers were led by a determined suitor and under orders to subdue rather than kill the defenders, and the defenders were led by her brother. Apparently, the minx was the one who had arranged to be rescued from a “fate worth than death” in the first place: The marriage to the Autarch. Unfortunately, my thoroughly justified intervention and incidental killing of a few of the attackers – the suitor being one of the first to go down - would appear to have driven the idea of a peaceful solution from everybody’s mind.

…32 obols to me! I feel my luck changing. No, wait, it was just a bowel movement.

So the maid was not best pleased and spent a considerable time belabouring me, adding several insults to my word-hoard. I tried to comfort her as best I could, but she was unwilling at first so I had to apply all my considerable charm before she came around to seeing things from my point of view. Thus what could have been an enjoyable afternoon ended up more business than pleasure. To make matters worse, I heard more horses approaching at a most inopportune moment! ‘Twas the Autarch’s soldiers, come out looking for his bride to be. Well, I have to admit it. That day I left as quickly as I came, and I came very quickly indeed. I hardly had time to close her eyes with kisses twain and steal her discarded jewelry before I made my exit, pursued by the mad soldiers of the Autarch.

My good man. Are you saying that you are not good for the 64 obols wagered? You hurt me, you truly do. If one cannot trust a man’s word, what can one trust? Cheating? Surely, you jest! I would accuse my own father of cheating to the very Gods themselves and demand of them justice, before I even thought of doing so myself! What? You do not know my father? Ah, well, he is a man of no small fame, an honest merchant, a good messenger, a quick wit. Have a jar of wine on me, will you? It is a shame to see friends quarrel over money.

Now, they were on horse and I on foot, but in a forest, the man on foot has a definite advantage, or rather, he would have, were he not exhausted. Given the day’s exertion, though I am fleet of foot, the Autarch’s men gained on me. Fortunately, I am not without recourse. Reaching a deep gorge, I jumped into nothingness! Now, they could hardly return to the Autarch with that unsatisfactory report, so they dismounted and climbed down the gorge to look for my remains, and, possibly, the exquisite jewelry I had acquired. I, however, having fallen but two lengths of a man due to the rope I had cunningly laid in wait for just such an opportunity (I believe in being prepared), quickly pulled myself up, and rode away with their horses. To make a long story short, though I fear that is too late, I ended up selling the Autarch’s horses to the Autarch himself! Unfortunately, the guards and the bride to be turned up at around that time, and things got a bit hectic what with the swordfighting, the daring escape, and the four hundred melons in the main courtyard (don’t ask).

Now, you accuse me of cheating again, just because you are short 128 obols. That is not the friendly way to behave? Why can’t you accept that you lost fair and square? You are insinuating that just because I relieved a maid of her honour, her jewelry, her protectors, her husband-to-be’s guards’ horses, and swindled the husband-to-be, all in the same day, I am somehow not to be trusted? Shame on you! That was business – this is pleasure, and which honourable man would cheat at pleasure? Nobody has ever called me a cheater and lived!

Except for me, my son!

Well, yes, obviously except for you, father. It takes one to know one, after all, and you cheated too, father. Don’t think I didn’t notice your little dice-substitution while I was deep in my cups. When you pretend to be a man rather than a God, act like it! No man would have noticed it, hence, by the rules of the game, it did not happen.

That’s some seriously twisted logic, Autolycos. Small matter. I’m the God, and I say you cheated. However, I am willing to accept your countercharge that I cheated as well, since it is usually true.

And not only usually, also in this specific instance.

Right you are, my son. Anyhow, how’s the disguise? I spent some time perfecting it.

It is a pretty good disguise, father. The unwashed face and hands, the weary gaze, the accent, the second-rate clothes that hint at poverty desperate to appear middle class, and I must applaud you on your quaffing; you could almost pass for human in your ability to toss down fine wine as if it was horse-piss. However, two things gave you away from the very beginning.

I am listening – but this had better be good

First, no labourer would wager 128 obols – and nobody would accept such a wager from a labourer without seeing the money.

Curse the vagaries of this outmoded economic system!

Second, you forgot to change your sandals. They are rather… Unique.

It is always the small things that trip you up. Would you believe that… No, you probably would not. You always did see through my lies.

Flattery will get you nowhere, father, especially empty flattery. You are by far the better liar. You are, might I add, divinely skilled at the noble art of presenting the truth in an acceptable fashion that dovetails nicely with your wishes.. That said, while it is always nice to see you father, I expect you have business to attend to? You do keep a hectic life, you of the many roles.

Yes, I was going to introduce a new concept of merchant banking to one of my devotees when I saw your horse and decided to drop by. Better get on with business, really. Give your old dad a hug before leaving? We Olympians have feelings too, you know.

Oh, I do know. A big hug for the best damn God in the Pantheon.

I wonder what that was about? Let’s see, he will, of course, have stolen the remaining jewelry and replaced it with something disgusting despite the fact that I can still feel its comforting weight in my pocket. That’s just the sort of God he is. Probably nicked my sandals as well just for the taunt. Moreover, if he feels really stupid about the sandals, and I sure would have were I him, unless it was a double-blind to trick me into thinking that he had forgotten the sandals in order to make me overconfident, which is a definite possibility for he is a trickster indeed, I will have to look for a new horse as well, but then, I was always a better horse thief than he was, so that is a minor issue.

No, the real question is what this silver key I stole from him unlocks, and when he will notice it is gone. It appears to be made in one piece of the best silver, and it is marked with the mark of Aphrodite. Hmm. Says “Key to your desires, 12/12” on the reverse with a superimposed thunderbolt. It has a strong divine aura as well, and grows warm to the touch. That is rather neat, really, probably the property of Aphrodite herself, and the thunderbolt does more than hint at the work of old Zeus himself, long may he reign, or given the craftsmanship perhaps Hephaestos on his behalf.

I would wonder how father got his hands on it, but as that would evoke any number of very graphic images, which would force me to lie down in a cold bath for a long time to get over, I guess I had better not. Unfortunately, that I managed to pick such high-profile loot almost certainly means that he intended for me to do it, which means that he got one over me anyhow, for that is just the sort of game he likes to play. The sandals were probably deliberate.

As the good and honest man I am, I really ought to return the key post-haste, but she is a busy Goddess and might not easily be found. Moreover, there is undoubtedly an adventure to be found, or it would never have been put my way, so if one were to, say, hypothetically of course, disguise oneself as an acolyte of the Goddess, infiltrate her temple, seduce her priestesses – at least the beautiful ones – and steal her most deeply held secrets from the inner sanctum, one would be in a better position to locate her and return the key, if one had not through the course of one’s investigations come upon whatever treasure the key unlocks. It goes without saying that the risks, if caught, would be substantial.

…I will make a good acolyte, really.

…And thus it came to pass that a new acolyte brought joy to the Goddess’ ancient temple, and thus it came to pass that Aphrodite was told by a rogue that she alone was worthy of praise, for “all men desire you and all children are conceived with thought of you”, scant moments before he stole a favourite necklace, and thus it came to pass that Aphrodite lost the opportunity to bring along a champion and had to pass it off as personal choice to avoid ridicule for being fooled by a mortal, a loss significantly compounded when she discovered that the very rogue who nicked her necklace traveled along to the new world, following the Gods on the astral trail by means of her lost key… And thus it came to pass that the rogue, one Autolycos, son of Hermes, a wise man, a thief, braggart, and warrior, the greatest horse-thief of the ancient world, threw her a winsome smile as he arrived in the new world, cried out “Here’s looking at you, kid”, and sped westwards over the hills before she could react, for he was very fleet of foot, and had considerable experience in evading the Wrath of Women scorned.

After running for many days and nights, I came upon the seven hills, and I cried loudly to my father. “Behold, your son is come into his own. On these seven hills I shall build a city, the greatest in the world, and all who love joy, all who love trade, all who love life, shall be welcome.” And he answered, for of course he was lurking nearby, watching my antics: ”Of course you are, son, and well may you rule. This is truly the land of opportunity, and you are not alone. To your south my champion Perseus will establish his realm and I suggest you cooperate even as you compete. I apologise for not explaining the situation to you, but Zeus laid down the law…”

Now, one should not lightly interrupt a God, but that was going too far: “No, you do not apologise. Gods never apologise, and when you do, you do not mean it. You are just saying that to manipulate my emotions. As a matter of fact, you found a clever way to manipulate circumstances such that you would end up with two champions instead of one, betting that I would support you out of enlightened self-interest and not begrudge you the choice of Perseus, which is certainly true enough as it was a devious strategy and I love devious strategies, and worth much more than 128 obols.”

True enough.

How about 256 obols then? I am afraid I am a bit strapped for cash to bet with, but I have this nice necklace made from the finest gold, that I could put up as collateral. One previous owner.

Good one, Autolycos. You will do well – if you can evade the wrath of Aphrodite, that is

The Wrath of Aphrodite? Surely, you do not believe that she would blame me for that minor theft, when it is obvious from the context that it must have been part of your larger plans, and I but your (willing) tool. I am afraid she will blame you. As for me, I will be suitably contrite. I might even build her a temple, for I love beauty. And money, of course, but the two are often related. Perhaps I should send her a message? Now, just who is it that is the messenger of the Gods?

Perhaps a wager on whom she will forgive first?

Last edited:
A fox knows many tricks, a hedgehog knows one good.
-Arkhilokhos

Go, tell the Spartans, stranger passing by,
that here, obedient to their laws, we lie.

-Simonides, in the epitaph of Thermopylai

hoplite2.gif

When I woke up, I didn't have any memory of going to sleep. Then I did remember the Hot Gates, and the Persians. And Thespians and their brave commander Dithyrambos. And my Three Hundred.

I had been killed, which was what I had expected.

"You, Leonidas, are in my lands, the lands of Hades. Ares has asked me to release you as a favour to him, and I have. Before you go, remember that I will one day come and claim my favour. Now, off you go to him."

"I will remember" I said, and turned away. Not knowing the direction, I still went to see Ares. He was waiting for me, nodded, turned and started to walk. I followed. I do not kow for how long we did walk, the journey did seem to take an eternity but the trip does seem short as I now remember it.

We came to the river Styx and Charon did ferry us over it. He didn't seem to be too happy for having to ferry someone the wrong way. We disembarked and began to walk again for an unfathomable length and period of time. We came to a beatiful, silent and peacuful place. Ares stopped, and spoke to me.

"I know this must not be what you would have expected to be the favourite place of Ares, but it is. And I have to say goodbye to it for ever." With a sad face he did look around, while I stood in attention.

"Leonidas, I ask you to be my champion. Not in the world you know, but in another time, another place. Places may perhaps remind you of your past life, but it will not be the same. This will be of utmost importance for me, for you, for everybody. I do not ask you to understand, I ask you to accept this geas. In return for being my champion and leading the people of New Sparta you will be practically immortal."

Ares went silen't, and was apparently waiting for an answer. I do not know what he was expecting me to say, for he did seem a bit suprised of my answer. Then again, what else could he wait of a man from Lacodaemon?

"I obey."

Hendryx1.jpg

New Sparta is a bustling city. I have many friends here with me. There stands Dienekes and the twins Alfeios and Maron. Here is my wife Gorgo, my daughters and my son Pleistarkhos. The thespian Dithyrambos is here too, as well as a few men and families from other Greek cities. Even the hilarious miletian Elefantinos is here. Already I see my friends and family aging, but I am physically fit as in my days of youth.

Yes, this is certainly not old Sparta. It is not possible to divide people to pure spartiats and helots. This is New Sparta, and I have decided every boy will recieve extensive military-training from the age of fifteen to twenty. Those who want will then join the ranks of spartiats and form the fighting core. The others will then join the ranks of the mothakes, being farmers and craftsmen, but being able to fight for the state if there is need.

There are neighbours to New Sparta. I have no quarrel with them, but it seems all are not happy and content with living in peace. In New Sparta we want to live in peace, that is why we prepare for war.

i_hoplit.jpg

If the point is sharp, and the arrow is swift, it can pierce through the dust no matter how thick.
Bob Dylan

ok, so I "borrowed most of the text, but I still think it's nice :)

Ignorance is bliss, they say, but they are wrong. I have had my share of bliss. I have had my share of ignorance, and they certainly did not coincide. True happiness I experienced being with the one I love, doing the things we both loved, but it ended suddenly in agony and pain. As I did so often, I was walking from island to island that morning. And then, suddenly, pain, agony! One short burst of incredible pain, then blackness, unending blackness.

Then, after what seemed like eons, I began to experience something again, a feeling of wholeness, but at the same time, emptiness. Then, I sensed more and more, but not as it had been. I saw, but it was not really seeing, I heard, but it was not really hearing. I felt, although it was not really feeling, that I held a bow, as ethereal as I were myself.

Then, I realised what I saw, animals of all sorts! A bull, a hare and many other animals.

...But alas, hunting ethereal animals, with an ethereal bow and arrows, was not as rewarding as hunting had been. Aeons passed, and I spent my time thinking, wondering, and hunting ofcourse. Nothing ever changed, nothing ever happened.

But all that suddenly changed, a bright flash, then complete darkness again. Then I was back on earth, or was I? I washed ashore, and next to me was one of Her arrows. Odd, but not so odd compared to what I experienced then. It was a familiar shore, I recognised it at once, but none of the villages, none of the buildings that should be there were visible. Then I saw that I was not alone, many others were there on the beach, between the trees, and they seemed as confused as I were.

Then, a familiar voice

"Hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again
Because a vision softly creeping
Left its seeds while I was sleeping
And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains

Time hurries on
And the leaves that are green turn to brown
And they wither in the wind
And they crumble in your hand

Now the sun has come to Earth
Shrouded in a mushroom cloud of death
Death comes in a blinding flash
Of hellish heat and leaves a smear of ash
And the sun has come to Earth

And in the naked light I saw
Ten thousand people maybe more
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared"

If anything, this confused me even more. There was a short pause, but not near enough to grasp what it meant

"And so you see I have come to doubt
All that I once held as true
I stand alone without beliefs
The only truth I know is you

I've built walls
A fortress deep and mighty
That none may penetrate

Well you can tell the world about this
You can tell the nation about that
Tell 'em what the master has done"

Images of a small speck in the sea, images of an arrow speeding through the air.Then, images of a burning world, people fleeing, people dying, Gods fleeing, Gods dying. Then images of a lush green world, images of a fortified city, centered around a great Temple. Images of a proud and strong people, slowly fading away until I saw again my surroundings.

"Hang onto your hopes, my friend
That's an easy thing to say
But if your hopes should pass away
Simply pretend
That you can build them again
Look around
The grass is high
The fields are ripe"

Then it dawned. This was not Gaia. Here was a new world, this was Her world, these were Her people. And I, I were Hers too, and I would remain Hers for eternity. But these people needed a leader now, a leader strong of will, a leader that would be Her right hand.

I would be that leader.

Whoring across the Med

A tale of Hercules and his dear old Daddy, Zeus.

Some Place, somewhere in the World, near a nice shrubbery.

Hercules is sat in a room with his Dad overlooking the shrubbery, surrounding them are about 2 dozen nubile young women in variosu staes of undress, most of them clustered around Zeus. Herclues looks somewhat bored, his head resting on his hands, staring moddily at the shrubbery.

"Thanks from saving me Dad from the end of the world and all. I appreciate it and all, even if you did not let me bring the wife along, I would have thought with your powers you could have brought more then just the two of us along. O well, she's in a better place now, so you say, though if it's so better, why didn't we stay there? Anyway... Dad, what are we going to do today? As much as I enjoy sampling the delights of the local ladies, they are getting rather boring and they all seem to be looking the same. I mean there is only so many things you can do with them, before it gets old... and no, I am not going to use the chains and whips you 'borrowed' off Uncie Hades."

"Damn"

" So what are we going to do then? It's all well and good to stay in just one place but I feel the irge to roam. I want to go out exploring and fighting like I did in the old days, before you decided to take a direct interest in my life. Not that it's not been fun, it has, but come on, I have all these pretty muscles, which do things other then make the ladies swoon with delight... thanks for those by the way".

"Your welcome Son. Well the other Gods have been rather uppity since we moved here, you would think they would be grateful that I went and found us a nice, new place to live after they ruined the old place. But nooooo, they have to complain about this that and everything as if it's my fault! I think it's time we went out and beat up the other champions and build us a nice Kingdom so that the other Gods remember that I'm the boss.... Now pass us that Brunette over there."

"Damn Dad, don't you ever get tired? Silly question I know. So you really mean we can go and save villages and virgins from evil and dispair? And no you can't save the virgins from other things. We can? Great. Can I get me a new sidekick? I do miss old whatshisname. Heck, we might even find some new ladies who you might not get bored with after a hour. You do know your nearly single handedly repopulating the planet, don't you dad... Dad? Damn it, not again!"

Giggles are heard across the room.

Last edited:
Bellerophon​

Death and Rebirth​

He had been free of the earth, but suddenly it seemed Gaia was reclaiming him. The large, white, feathery hooved creature hovering in the air above him became smaller and smaller as he fell.

Pegasus, why have you betrayed your master?

That wretched horse. Bellerophon had only helped it gain notoriety not as an untamable steed, but as a powerful, mythical beast doing the will of the gods. Pegasus had been a loyal servant, up until the moment that stupid mayfly came buzzing. Surely it was not a coincidence that there was a stinging fly that high up, right on Bellerophon’s path to glory, and nor was it a coincidence that the fly decided to bite the horse. Surely a god had intervened, and who of the gods besides Zeus disliked hubris of mortals?

After all the magnificent deeds I’ve done, this is how I’m rewarded?

Bellerophon cursed as he fell towards the ground. No one, not even Pegasus, was grateful of his magnificent deeds. He braced for the final crunch as he fell to the earth. Closer…

Cursed Olympians.

Closer.

Clearly I earned it!

Closer.

But they’ve taken it!

Closer.

Surely I deserve immortality!

Bellerophon was sure he would collide with Gaia at that moment, when suddenly he stopped falling, and the scent of saltwater filled his nostrils.

Surely you do deserve it. But you must earn it again, in a new world.

Opening his eyes, our hero was shocked to see before him the mighty Poseidon, his father. That Poseidon was the father of the flying-horse-riding hero was contested, as unfortunately Bellerophon had no proof, and was raised by a mere man. But if there’s a mortal claiming to be your father, and then an immortal claiming the same thing, who do you believe?

Look around, my son. This is where you will fulfill your destiny.

An obedient son, Bellerophon looked. From north and south, masses of land came to a point just below them, where a narrow channel cut between them. Poseidon mystically levitated the two above the divide. To the East and West were nothing but sea, as far as the eye could see.

You recognize this place, hero?

This is the gateway between your two great domains, the Atlantic and Mediterranean. Why are we here?

Poseidon gestured down towards the land. Hundreds, nay, thousands of men could be seen bustling about. Carpenters, shipwrights, stonemasons and all sorts of artisans were working like ants.

This is a new world, Bellerophon. I have chosen you as my champion, and it is from here you will do your deeds, and do my will. It will not be easy – you will have many trials before you. Do you accept the challenge?

Have I ever not accepted a challenge?

The first Olympian Council circa 1451​

Mount Olympus was crowed, all the Gods and Goddesses were in attendance for this first full council. Clearly Hermes had been a busy boy carrying Zeus’ summons to all the major Olympians, “is it true” Aphrodite whispered in Ares ear “that Hera has been turning Zeus’ ear red with her haranguing?”

“So it seems my love” chuckled Ares, “something about a dead, decapitated and chopped up into little pieces heroine. Sounds like someone has some style” he laughed.

“Uh oh, here comes Hephaestus; later Ares, why don’t you pay me a visit at the new temple that conniving Autolycos has dedicated to me, it needs” she paused, “consecrating. And then I have a little task you might find amusing…”

A moment later Zeus’ voice boomed out silencing the general babble “A grave situation lies before us”. He paused for effect surveying them all with his piercing eyes. “My wife’s champion Medea as you may have heard has been most violently assaulted by another.” There was a brief snigger from somewhere behind the master smith and Aphrodite turned a beet red under Zeus’ stare. Recovering his composure Zeus continued, “but that is the least of his crimes…”

“… yeah Hera was giving Zeus a right earbashing last night” Hermes whispered in Hephaestus’ ear, “you should have seen the scene I came in on.”

“SILENCE!” Zeus shook himself like a great bird settling his feathers. “Now as I was saying, my dear wife, light of my life and apple of my eye” sniff, “not only had her immortal champion slain by this oaf, but more seriously

“I say slay the culprit!” cried Hera, breaking in, her eyes roving over the assemblage whilst her dark robes flapped gently about her in an unfelt breeze.

“Now hold on a minute father!” Athena shouted, “what are the minor actions of these mortals to us? Their conflicts, their squabbles, surely they are beneath us.”

“Beneath us child?” screamed Hera, “Beneath us! He has challenged the authority of one of us and must be punished.”

“QUIET!” shrieked Zeus, his voice getting ever higher.

“Now as I was saying” he sniffed “even more serious than the vile, despicable act of killing our lovely, err I mean your fair Medea” Zeus smiled winsomely down at Hera, “is his treacherous behaviour before and afterwards! He is charged not only with breaking his sworn word to Medea, not once but twice, by making peace the one day for great territorial gains and making war again the next in so doing laying waste to the realm of Media, an act unbefitting a chosen champion; but secondly he then boasted of his actions, claiming if you would believe it necessity! Necessity I ask you, never have I heard such hubris!

“There is no question that he did these deeds, all that is in doubt is his punishment!”

The chamber erupted into a general cacophony of sound as each God and Goddess tried to make their voice heard. “I’d hate to be in Odysseus’ shoes now” whispered Apollo to Artemis whilst Zeus tried to restore order, “even Athena’s going to be pissed at him for embarrassing her like this, mark my words. She always was overly prideful.”

“Serves the fool right for dishonouring Hera like this” replied Artemis, “I’ll certainly be urging my followers to teach him a lesson.”

“As will I dear sister, as will I”.

“Order!” Zeus boomed, firing a bolt of lightning at the ceiling and bring great boulders crashing down, a feat that even woke Dionysus up from his drunken stupor. “Order.” Repeated Zeus.

“Now I call on you all to pass verdict. Poseidon, what say you …”

“Earthquakes and floods, I’ll drown his lands.” Rumbled the lord of the oceans.

“Ares?”

“Hey if I get to fight I’ll join the fun”.

“Hera…”

“Death, an eye for an eye” she spat.

“Hades …”

“Well Medea was a nasty item, perhaps she deserved it brother.”

“Why you blind toad” screamed Hera, “what can one expect from one who’s champion is Theseus, we all know he hates Medea.”

“Artemis?”

“Strip him of his lands and hunt down his people. I’ll set my hounds on him.”

“Apollo?”

“I stand with Artemis. I thought Odysseus an honourable man but his treachery and hubris is most vile – punish him as you will father.”

Each of the remaining Gods in turn gave their accent until only Athena remained. “And you dear child?” asked Zeus, “what is your judgement?”

Athena held her head high, her posture regal, “Odysseus shall be punished, fear not father, do as you will father for I’ll not have a cur like him as my champion any longer. Let him be an outcast – others will honour my name!” and with that she turned on her heels and walked away.

“We are all agreed then”.

Last edited:
As we see that every city is a society, and every society is established for some good purpose; for an apparent good is the spring of all human actions. It is evident that this is the principle upon which they are every one founded, and this is more especially true of that which has for its object the best possible, and is itself the most excellent, and comprehends all the rest.
-Aristotle; "Politics"

---

New Sparta was bustling. Settlers were sent to build new colonies around Sparta in the unclaimed lands. Settlers on Corfu built a beautiful town protected by walls, dedicating themselves as the Guardians of Sparta.

Gods looked favourable on Sparta. Ares was happy with his champion, and asked Leonidas to test muscle in Odenburg, to which Leonidas eagerly agreed. Hermes visited Leonidas twice, trying to get Leonidas into playing dice, but Leonidas politely explained the needs of the city prevented Leonidas from enjoying a game for pure joy, but if Hermes had a game in which Spartan soldiers could be trained Leonidas would immediatly play that game (while it may of course be that Leonidas did not trust Hermes to play fair with dice). A new temple was built in Salzburg, the temple was dedicated to the patron goddess of Sparta, Artemis. Plans for the temple of Pallas Athene was put forward.

But all was not good. Leonidas mourned the death of his wife Gorgon. His son did seem now older than Leonidas. Immortality may sound good, but seeing your loved ones grow old and die while you are for ever a man in your best age is not good.

---

Hercules attacked the lands of Hector. It was most baffling, because by that act Hercules apparently wanted to distract Hector from defending Medea from the hostility of Ithaca. How could Odysseus, the champion of Athene the Wise, be so unwise? How could Hercules, the champion of Zeus, be so cruel to wish death upon Medea?

Leonidas had to act. It appeared Hercules and Odysseus had a plan to divide up the north-eastern corner of the known world. Sparta would be their next target, that seemed certain.

Leonidas sent an envoy to Hector with the word that he should hold on and wait for the Spartans. The Spartans mobilised and overrun the Mycenean held Dalmatia and Bosnia and prepared to take the war to Hellas itself, when Hector already surrendered. Leonidas and Hercules mettled their strength for a while, but since neither side was getting an upper hand, a white peace was declared.

After the peace Leonidas ordered the building of a warfleet. The lack of speed had proven to be the crucial factor, as Hector had surrendered before Leonidas got into the action properly.

Border defences against the Gauls were strengthened after Theseus threathened Leonidas because there was some island far to the west beyond the Apennines that Theseus wanted but was unable to take. Apparenly Theseus somehow was delirious, Leonidas certainly had no power what so ever outside the near vicinity of Sparta. The frothing envoys of Gauls demanded Leonidas to act or recieve the hordes of Gauls, to which Leonidas replied: "Welcome."

---

Hercules and Odysseus once again decided to attempt to destroy Medea and Troy. Leonidas again moved in to stop Hercules. As the troops of Sparta boarded the new fleet, a word was recieved from Autoclys that Gauls were pushing hordes against the border of Sparta. Leonidas didn't bother to comment.

Spartan troops under Leonidas overrun Mycenean lands, taking Hellas (the capital of Mycene) and all but killing all troops in Mycene. Confident that he had done enough to help Hector Leonidas borded the ships and set sail to New Sparta, because the hordes of Gauls had invaded Spartan lands.

Leonidas led his troops in a triumph, marching from victory to victory. All gauls were slaughtered, and Ares was happy. Leonidas led his troops to take the capital of Gauls, but a sneaking force of Gauls cut the supplylines. Spartans lifted the siege and assaulted the Gauls in Piedmonte, but the luck was not with Leonidas this time. Spartans lost thousands of men in the battle, and Leonidas led his force to regroup in Odenburg.

Meanwhile Hector had once again surrender to Hercules, and Leonidas was alone fighting against the alliance led by Mycene and Gauls. Yet Sparta was winning the war clearly. In the end Leonidas did agree on a white peace on the condition the Gauls and Mycene will help putting down the mad dog Odysseus.

After the war Leonidas did open the sack of letters recieved from Hector during the war. Leonidas had had no time for fancy words during fighting, and hadn't bothered to open the letters. In the letters Hector was frantically screaming for help, apparently he had not been able to take advantage of the fact that Hercules had died and Spartans had overrun Mycenean lands taking amongst others their capital and destroying their troops.

The scribes of Leonidas suggested he should write a letter to Hector, where Leonidas tells how he felt for the misfortunes of Hector, and how he could have most likely helped Hector if the messsages had got through in time. Leonidas agreed, and sent to Hector a letter with the following message:
Sorry.
-Leonidas

---

The following two years Sparta prepared for the invasion against Ithaca. Odysseus the Mad would be punished. To accomplish that Leonidas needed a movement access through the lands of Mycene, which the Hercules, champion of Zeus, by no doubt should provide. Hadn't Zeus himself let all the champions know Odysseus was now an outcast.

The world in 1451​

1451.jpg

(Notice the two beautiful Temples in Spartan lands)

NOTE!
Phrygia is erroneusly printed "Egypt" on the map.
Peloponnesus is erroneusly printed "Iberia" on the map.

Of Hades, Theseus and Gaul

It is not yet known by mortal men or mighty heroes, how Hades came to choose Theseus to be his Champion. Certainly fate played its part, for Theseus had just been slain by a Titan he had foolishly tried to stop from stepping on his lawn.

"Because he was There", became thus a favourite explanation amongst Olympians.

It might also be that Theseus was just the type of a hero Hades liked - a guy who was heroic if not too bright, stubborn and energetic. He never asked too many questions, and was certainly good at slaying, looting and pillaging. Even if the results were often quite messy, it happened always for a Greater Cause.

Whatever the real reason might be, Hades in his (in?)finite wisdom expelled Theseus from the underworld, and placed him into the helm of a gaelic upstart nation, better known as Gaul.

Gaul was certainly not the best place on Earth. In fact, it was not even close to the second best place on earth. It was to Earth what the arse of Kerberus was to a dinner party. On a good day, Gaul was cold, wet, ugly and windy. On a bad day, Gaul was cold, wet, ugly and not windy. In those worse days the blessed wind did not clear the air, but the stench of its inhabitants made it reek like the deepest pits of hell. It is yet unknown to science how its inhabitants ever managed to become aroused enough to breed - a popular theory is that they multiply instead of reproducing.

But Theseus - he didn't mind. After all, he had been clubbed like a baby seal by that nasty Titan, and was more than happy to have a second chance. And maybe he could even have his revenge, who knows? Certainly, there were no lawns for that bugger to tread on this time. Instead, the piles of rubbish and human waste along the needle-sharp stones were something Theseus anxiously awaited the giant to step on.

He thus dug a temple for Hades, and took up his new role as the King of Gaul. Mighty adventures would indeed await him.

A time of joy
Pelops looked over his lands, and he saw that everything was going well.
His realm was being expanded greatly, and peace reigned, for now. Gold streamed in from distant lands where the merchants of Pelops bought the best iron, only to sell the forged weapons at higher prices.

Yet not all was good. Bellerophon, servant of Poseidon, was Pelops ally, for a time. But once thing had settled down, Pelops did no longer feel the need for their defensive alliance. But Bellerophon responded to this not by acceptance, but by agressiveness. He allied Theseus, so to surround Pelops. Yet Pelops would not give up just like that. He signed an alliance with Carthage so that he could better threaten Bellerophon if ever need be. And need there would be.

A fire from the east
In the far east of the world now great things happened. Hercules and Odysseus fought together against the forces of Leonidas, Orion, Medea and Hector. Pelops believed this was unfair, and he promised to Theseus that if he would strike to set matters straight, he would not attack him or his ally.

The first thing Theseus then did was leave the alliance of Bellerophon before striking Leonidas in the flank. Pelops, taking the hint, immediately began preparations for war, so that he would never again be encircled by his enemies.

In the meantime, Odysseus had turned the tide of the war and nearly destroyed Medea's kingdom, as the forces of Orion were distracted by Midas the greedy. And in fact, he destroyed Medea utterly, while Midas went ever on. Seeing also his ally's flank clear, Pelops issued the order to attack.

Death
Yet Bellerophon proved cunning. He lured Pelops' army to the coast, where he was ravaged by great floods sent forth by Poseidon.
Of the 25 thousand cavalry sent forth by Pelops against the army of Bellerophon, only 3 thousand returned, and were eventually, together with Pelops, slain.

A new awakening

Pelops woke up, his body yet feeling the pain of his death, feeling every hoof that had hit his broken body. And he saw a face, unfamiliar yet beautifull.

"Ah, I see you have woken op, Pelops. I am Andromeda, high-priestess of Hephaestos. We had for long believed you would never wake up, but it appears our prayers have been heard."

Pelops was now thoroughly confused, replying:
"Wasn't Hekanthos high-priest when I died, and Myrtollos his succesor? What happened?"

"Indeed, long will we feel the pain of their deaths. After you died, Bellerophon marched on, and summoned the power of Poseidon to destroy what remained of our army. The kingdom was in disarray, and many priests died when Bellerophon incited the mob to attack us.
Those of the temple of Hephaestos who remained took charge untill you could return, and working together with the army we had thrown back Bellerophon and slain his mortal body.

Yet it appears you had read Theseus actions wrong. For he came forth with a large army, laying siege to the mountain holdouts from whence we had fought the war against Bellerophon, and we had to give in to Bellerophons demands to cede Toledo."

"Lost, Toledo? Where was Perseus? He had occupied allmost all of Bellerophon's lands in Africa when I died."

"Unfortunately, the admiral of his fleet had made a grave error, and had built too few vessels of war. As such, he could not break the blockade of Bellerophon, and was stranded in Africa. He did send us some gold via the smuggler's routes to aid us in our struggle, and they were used well."

"Hmph. Well, once I am fully healed, we will throw Bellerophon into the sea! Now, I will pray to Hephaestos"

Great God Hephaestos, Smith of the Gods, forger of all iron, hear the words of thine servant!
The servants of Hades and Poseidon are conspiring to bring down thine servant, and their gods remain mighty. However, I believe it is possible to divert attention from Hades' servant to the east. This would however greatly undermine the strength of mine kingdom.
I ask of thee: give me the strength to overcome these evils! Make Bellerophon's weapons crumble!

For there are only two ways to empower thine servant, by strengthening his ability to make war, or by wrecking the ability of his adversary.
And while to the west there appears to be land beyond great chasms, and thee, oh greatest of Gods, may know a way through, it would take time to exploit this.

Thus, thine servant asks of thee: Grant me the strength to defeat Bellerophon, and if possible diminish his! For if thine kingdom here is defeated, thee may yet suffer the fate of Hera, as Odysseus has proclaimed he will desecrate her temple. And while I am not sure of Bellerophons intentions, he may well seek to desecrate thine great temple, aswell.

Perseus Journals

Chapter I Go Forth

Carthages cities were growing faster than could be expected our builder couldn’t provide houses as fast as they were needed. Therefore I Perseus gave order to give our people equipment travel to wilderness of this new world and claim new land with needed resources for builders, merchants and artisans. So allowing new roads and destinies to be found while would Cathage grow to greatness.

Quickly the southern shores of Mediterranean were populated with eager carthagean who boldly went fort looking new destinies and fortunes that waited outside of Carthages old borders. From atlantic ocean to border of Phrygia and river Nile stretched lands populated by carhagean so making Carthage people of deserts.

In same time also Poseidons followers were eager to expand on southern shores of Mediterranean cutting carthagean land in two it was only small province of Toubkal that was left behind expanding Atlantis but yet it caused people to dream from united Carhage.

While new areas were colonised new diplomatic relations were also established fair Carthagian maiden was sent to our brothers court and fair maiden arrived from Phrygia to Carthage.

During these early years of peace and expansion I Perseus received also worrying news from the realm of my brother Autolycus he was being attacked by armies of gauls. To support our brother Perseus immediately ordered large state gift to be sent aid the war efforts of our brother. Luckily my brother was able to defeat the invading gaul armies and punish Gaul by defeating Theseus himself on battlefield.

Chapter II Divine visits

Years rolled steadily forward while settlements and cities of Carthage prospered and grew. Until after bountiful harvest quest arrived court of Perseus. Great was surprise for quest was no less than Dionysus himself calling me Perseus to show him and people of Carthage that being in this new world could be pleasure and fun too not only work. Immediately I Perseus called day be free day to all my followers opening treasury chests of kingdom in large celebration to honor our divine quest and show people of Carthage the joy of new world.

*Note for myself during celebration I Perseus promised Dionysus to build largest transportation fleet in world to haul goods of Carthage over all new world so other nations could use them to give pleasure to their people. Now it has been done despite protest of my admirals who were not pleased but word given to god must be kept.

After celebration people returned to their lifes with new vigor and economy of Carthage continue to grow steadily.

Also after celebration Pan started to visit frequently Carthage causing some unrest when the hot-tempered part of carthagean people took up arms when it was good fait of some fair maidens that allowed Pan some fun.

Again years passed steadily and Carthage prospered until one night I Perseus received dream where Ares asked would Perseus dare to meet challenge. To this I said of course and Ares told challenge would wait in province of Quattara. In morning when I woke up I received immediately panicking messenger who carried message that large bandit army had arrived on Quattara taking control off province. Knowing this was the challenge of Ares. I took personally command of Carhages armies and marched to meet the challenge. Finally come the day of battle and armies under my command were victorious so passing the challenge of Ares.

Chapter III War of Frustration

All the land of new world was settled and Carthage remained in peace. Still tensions were growing everywhere so after negotiations alliance with Pelops was agreed for it seemed Atlantis our western neighbour had forged alliance with Gaul nation that had attacked our brother. So I Perseus felt that some preparations should be made for future.

Then a great war started in east war that engulfed all but realm of my brother in war. For when Gaul joined the eastern war our ally called Carthage to join in war against Bellerophon to use this moment. Eagerly I Perseus accepted invitation seeing this as moment to make dream of my people true unite the lands of Carthage and receive fame in battlefield.

Great was my disappointment when laying finally siege over Atlantis capital and not even one army opposed Perseus. All the fame off battles was given for our ally Pelops who fought well until disaster hit Pelops in atlantean seashore where Poseidon answered the call of Bellerophon who defeated Pelops and crushed hes army.

This was dark and bright moment for me as then Bellerophon declared he would soon come to me Perseus and meet me in battle field so I thought some glory might still be mine while I was sad and started to prepare help Pelops people so they wouldn’t be overrun by Atlantis.

Unfortunately when I ordered Carthages navy out of port and it faced mighty fleet of Atlantis my admirals sent me message battle is over our transports have been retreated back to port. I was enraged and all I could blame was myself DAM.

After that all I was able to do was decline peace offer from Atlantis telling I will prefer all out WP and wont leave my ally alone and send state gift via smuggler route. All looked grim no battles and my ally was losing badly. But them Pelops people with help of Carthagean money were able to make allmoust miracle they defeated Bellerophon again victory was at hand. Yet again fait had other plans Gaul Atlantis old ally joined war forcing Pelops people cede Toledo to Atlantis.

Great was my frustration no battle not even one united Carthage still distant dream and people as frustrated as I this is no way to quest for glory. Then in middle of all this frustration Dionysus arrived again saying always look on the bright side of life Perseus and throw a party for me. Again I followed hes words and great celebration was held to forget the frustration.

Unfortunately joy of carthages people was shortly lived word game from east Odysseus had commited great crime against gods and people of new world this depressing news brought back the frustration what should I do now no glory no united Carthage, no new temples and wile villain challenging gods themselves lose in this new world…..

Last edited:
Pelops - Calling upon Hephaesus in deep prayer said:
Great God Hephaestos, Smith of the Gods, forger of all iron, hear the words of thine servant!

The servants of Hades and Poseidon are conspiring to bring down thine servant, and their gods remain mighty. However, I believe it is possible to divert attention from Hades' servant to the east. This would however greatly undermine the strength of mine kingdom.
I ask of thee: give me the strength to overcome these evils! Make Bellerophon's weapons crumble!

For there are only two ways to empower thine servant, by strengthening his ability to make war, or by wrecking the ability of his adversary. And while to the west there appears to be land beyond great chasms, and thee, oh greatest of Gods, may know a way through, it would take time to exploit this. Thus, thine servant asks of thee: Grant me the strength to defeat Bellerophon, and if possible diminish his! For if thine kingdom here is defeated, thee may yet suffer the fate of Hera, as Odysseus has proclaimed he will desecrate her temple. And while I am not sure fo Bellerophons intentions, he may well seek to desecrate thine great temple, as well.

And Hephaestus answers his disciple

Pelops my boy, what have you been up to? Really I'll have words to say to Poseiden about this. Come on come on, dust yourself off there lad, what you're not a lad anymore? You've not become a lass then surely? No? I didn't think these eyes were failing me that badly despite the soot I get in them sometimes.

Now really I'm sure with a little cunning you'll find a way to stave off your enemies. Cunning yes that's the word. Wouldn't want to leave you all on your lonesome though, I mean you are my chosen bonny boy after all so I tell you what, why don't you don this nice shining suite of armour I made the other day, then when you go out to meet them next time you can dazzle them with envy, who knows it may even help in a fight. Now I must toodeloo, Zeus has told us all to deal with Odysseus, do what you can to help eh, I wouldn't want to annoy the old man.

I will do thine bidding, great god of all smiths, and I thank thee for thine gift. The armies of the Peloponnesus will march forth to battle provided Theseus, Leonidas and Hercules will let them

With that, Pelops began readying his army for the long journey. Unsure he was of the designs of Bellerophon, but he believed that while Pelops was away doing the bidding of the Gods, he would not attack. Surely he wasn't as dishonourable as Odysseus!

Gaelic Musings

The Reign of Theseus started as a sporty one. Early on, he managed to get into a quarrel with Autolycus in the south, over some colonizing issues. There was a war during which Theseus pushed Autolycus all the way back to Naples, only to flee his huge mercenary armies and in the end disappear in the mists of the battle. Whatever happened to that chromium hero we still do not know.

Peace with Autolycus was then concluded, and the quarrelsome neighbours exchanged territory (Piedmonte for Liguria) to make the map look more beatiful. However, unfortunately to Autolycus' investment plans, the ugly gaelic architecture and the funny smell are still today lowering the prices of beach property there.

The Gaul Regent then turned his look into the east, where Hercules and Odysseus were being ruthlessly ganged by Troy, Phoenicia, New Sparta and Medea. Because this was obviously wrong and cowardly (and especially since Hector still did not discuss of selling the island of Sardinia), the Regent entered the war and ruined New Spartas war effort, almost getting his ass kicked in the process. The war ended when Odysseus the Ruthless annexed Medea, and while it served that treacherous bitch right, such hubris and shift in power alarmed also the Gauls.

However, one last issue remained. Pelops the Treacherous needed punishment for his attack on Bellerophon, an ally of the Regent. The war ended however with Atlantis letting the Peloponnesians off the hook too easily, grabbing Toledo for himself. Considering that the Regent sold Lombardia to Autolycus in order to finance a proper war, this was a cowardly act and rightly left the Regent furious.

If Theseus ever returns from the limbo he was lost in, heads will fall.